Old 05-27-2020, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
I don't know if anyone ever though of Dwayne Johnson as a "promising actor" but I think the guy knows exactly what kind of actor he is and is at the peak of his career right now. He's getting the lead role in campy action blockbusters one after another that are making the studios rich and making him rich.
Well, after his performance in Be Cool, he seemed to have all the potential in the world.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:15 AM

I always liked Tony Rosato (SCTV, SNL). He was a terrific supporting actor, never the leading man, but I could have seen him as the sidekick in a bunch of high-profile films, a la Tony Randall or Dom DeLuise. Instead, he was the second banana in a lot of straight-to-video fare as soon as he got bounced from SNL, and he had legal and mental health issues about 20 years later. He worked steadily until his death in 2017, but mostly doing crap.

In their book Truth in Comedy, Charna Halpern and Del Close discussed the most appealing traits of a good improvisor: Supportive of all the other people onstage, dedicated to making them look great. They name-checked Beluhi and Mike Meyers, notorious laugh whores. They should have name-checked Tony Rosato.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:23 AM

My favorite example from that book was when they were talking about a scene taking place at a prom. Bill Murray, who wasn't in the scene, grabbed someone and drug them on stage, and they just slow-danced in the background, helping to create the illusion of there actually being a dance going on.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDfromLA View Post
Kevin Costner was on top of the world after J.F.K., Dances With Wolves and The Bodyguard. What happened?
Costner is a limited, wooden actor who went off the rails with hubris rather than acting style, getting involved in ambitious but dubious projects like "The Postman" and "Waterworld" which bombed hard. He turned down the role of Pres on "Air Force One", which was written for him, to be in "The Postman".

I like this quote from the "Great Movies Marred By One Bad Performance" thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacherousCretin View Post
Costner was perfectly cast in The Big Chill.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:14 AM

Depp remains an excellent actor, despite wringing all the money he can out of Jack Sparrow and being way too fond of starring in Tim Burton films (and his various other personal issues). And Dwayne Johnson is actually a decent actor, despite his usual fare of schmaltzy blockbusters - have a look at him in Ballers.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:48 AM

Re Dwayne Johnson: I agree that he seems to have acting skills. I usually like his performance. However the topic is about going off the rails, not about talented actors choosing blockbuster movies in preference to critical darlings.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusculan View Post
Re Dwayne Johnson: I agree that he seems to have acting skills. I usually like his performance. However the topic is about going off the rails, not about talented actors choosing blockbuster movies in preference to critical darlings.
In that regard, I don't think he's gone off the rails at all. He's doing pretty much what he's been doing all along.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:46 PM

Pacino said his Heat character was supposed to be a cocaine addict. guess I'm odd because I thought the Irishman was boring.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:00 PM

Sometime in the 90s Pacino apparently decided to only perform either whispering or yelling.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Sometime in the 90s Pacino apparently decided to only perform either whispering or yelling.
My theory is this: imagine that youíre Al Pacino and itís 1993 and youíve never won an Oscar but youíre up for one thanks to your work in Glengarry Glen Ross; and then you sit there and watch as you lose yet again; but then, later that evening, you get called up on stage amidst thunderous applause to get handed an Oscar for what you did in Scent of a Woman, because HOO-AAH and IíM JUST GETTING WARMED UP and FLAMETHROWER and I'll rub your NOSE in enlisted men's CRUD till you don't know WHICH END IS UP! YOU UNDERSTAND?

Iím guessing that something inside you clicks into place right then.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:25 PM

Heather Locklear