Old 05-23-2020, 08:12 PM

Mask Wars, Wacko's , and the new normal

By now everyone has heard about violence caused by people who do not want to wear masks or observe social distance. It's getting worse. For example, this morning in a neighborhood bulletin board discussion a local rightwinger actually threatened another writer with stalking and significant personal violence. The guy was mad because his business would not reopen because the staff felt unsafe, and other writers supported that view.

It is clear that the administration fosters this behavior rather than trying to tamp it down. Acquiescence by local government to this bad behavior can cost careful people their health or life. Active, forceful resistance to the bad actors will get ugly fast.

What can we do to confront irrational behavior effectively but without bloodshed?
Old 05-23-2020, 08:26 PM

Deadblow hammer?
Old 05-23-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnath View Post
By now everyone has heard about violence caused by people who do not want to wear masks or observe social distance. It's getting worse. For example, this morning in a neighborhood bulletin board discussion a local rightwinger actually threatened another writer with stalking and significant personal violence. The guy was mad because his business would not reopen because the staff felt unsafe, and other writers supported that view.

It is clear that the administration fosters this behavior rather than trying to tamp it down. Acquiescence by local government to this bad behavior can cost careful people their health or life. Active, forceful resistance to the bad actors will get ugly fast.

What can we do to confront irrational behavior effectively but without bloodshed?
I'd let police know. If it's on a bulletin board, it's in writing (screenshot it) so the bully can't walk it back and say he was misquoted etc. If something happened to the people he threatened (or if someone slashed their tires, threw a brick through the picture window, etc.) police would know where to look first. He may be a lot less bold if he knows he's likely to get caught.

What you do about people who don't show their intentions...?
Old 05-24-2020, 04:16 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Deadblow hammer?
applied to the kneecaps?
Old 05-24-2020, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

You have this ideology that is willing to sacrifice the lives of an indefinite number of people in order to support its leader. The leader is encouraging members to sacrifice their own lives, especially in large gathering in houses of worship. They threaten to murder people who disagree, especially government leaders who try to stop them.

This is a death cult.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:11 PM

The wacko's what?
Old 05-24-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
applied to the kneecaps?
Well, I've never seen it applied in real life, but I was thinking temple. Softfaced deadblow to the temple. Also, I predict no bloodshed, as per the OP's request. . Just a guess.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post
The wacko's what?
Oof.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:22 AM
Charter Member

Where is this lunacy taking place?

My limited experience in LA last weekend, had everyone masking up and social distancing without complaint at super markets. That is certainly the case here in Seattle.

Christ, I went hiking with my son in a national forest that just reopened. Everyone stepped aside on the trail. 2 or 3 groups put on masks to go by on the trail.

What is with these numbnuts that think my wearing a mask is trampling their rights?
Old 05-25-2020, 09:23 AM

I grew up in super duper rural Texas. Word round the Facebook fire is that “masks are mind control”.

It seems that they really believe it.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Guy View Post

My limited experience in LA last weekend, had everyone masking up and social distancing without complaint at super markets. That is certainly the case here in Seattle.

Christ, I went hiking with my son in a national forest that just reopened. Everyone stepped aside on the trail. 2 or 3 groups put on masks to go by on the trail.

What is with these numbnuts that think my wearing a mask is trampling their rights?
Here in the Bay Area compliance is good. But my wife's cousin, who is a retired nurse, lives in rural Pennsylvania. She riles people up by wearing a mask and distancing. I think the problem might be that mask wearers are telling these people they are idiots by their actions, and they don't like that.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:41 PM

Mask compliance is slipping badly in New York City, or at least in my part of Brooklyn.

The runners were always bad -- my observation is that a slim majority of runners would not wear masks.

But lately it's everyone.

And this ain't exactly Trump country. This is brownstone Brooklyn. High education levels, affluent, overwhelmingly liberal. Or so you'd think.

It does seem to be twenty and thirty-somethings who have decided they're just not going to bother with masks or social distancing anymore.

And this is in NYC -- especially hard-hit. I think they've just decided that COVID-19 only happens to old people and poor people, so they, being netiher old nor poor, wil be okay without masks. And who gives a shit about old people or poor people anyway? Reducing their numbers a bit is probably a good thing, right?
Old 05-25-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnath View Post

At this point, nothing. These people have consciously decided to ignore every scrap of evidence, every logical argument, every lived experience of those more knowledgeable, to deliberately not do what they should do, and they go out of their way to actively harass those they see who are doing the right thing. Why would you imagine that now, at long last, someone will come up with the magical reasonable argument that will finally get the message across?

What we need to do is tell the population at large that violence against these morons is now considered to be legitimate self defense, and encourage the public at large to break the nose of any of these goddamn idiots who get in their faces with their stupidity. Break enough noses, and they'll at least get the message that being an idiot is unsafe, even if they never quite figure out why.

Every single moron you've ever seen in one of those "Karen" videos gets away with being a stupid jerk because they know that no one else will just haul off and belt them in the nose. Take that away, and The Karens will run and hide.

And if they don't, the videos will at least be more entertaining.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Dunno how it is elsewhere in the country, but in my little corner of a very red state, mask-wearing has gone slowly and steadily up -- I would estimate that about one person in fifty was wearing one in the grocery store at the end of March, and it's probably around 60-70% now. When I see people from the local area complaining on social media about how people "don't want to wear masks anymore," I can't help wondering if they're comparing what they see to an imaginary ideal world where everyone is wearing a mask all the time, rather than accurately remembering how things actually were a few weeks ago.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretful Porpentine View Post
Dunno how it is elsewhere in the country, but in my little corner of a very red state, mask-wearing has gone slowly and steadily up -- I would estimate that about one person in fifty was wearing one in the grocery store at the end of March, and it's probably around 60-70% now.

This is an important factor. The noisy idiots think they're a majority, but they're not. They sound like a majority, but they're not. Polls show a large majority are in favor of things like social distancing and masks.

The problem is, even 20-30% of people not following the guidelines keeps this going for months to come.

We need to start shunning these idiots, en mass, to get them to realize that they're not the majority.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:46 PM

I wear a mask in public, the majority around here do not. Iím required to wear a mask at work, doesnít bother me, but a lot of co-workers think itís stupid. Ok. But if the topic comes up I usually respond with ďIíd like to reduce the likelihood that I have to spend the $10k insurance deductible if placed on a vent.Ē No one has challenged me, yet, but Iím sure itíll happen.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:12 PM

In fact, maybe the dems should start endorsing conspiracy theories about how covid 19 is a plot by the insurance companies to get rich, maybe China would back this, Russia could back the right wing, China back the left wing...wait, America still loses. I hate Fakebook.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintly Loser View Post
Mask compliance is slipping badly in New York City, or at least in my part of Brooklyn.

The runners were always bad -- my observation is that a slim majority of runners would not wear masks.

But lately it's everyone.

And this ain't exactly Trump country. This is brownstone Brooklyn. High education levels, affluent, overwhelmingly liberal. Or so you'd think.

It does seem to be twenty and thirty-somethings who have decided they're just not going to bother with masks or social distancing anymore.

And this is in NYC -- especially hard-hit. I think they've just decided that COVID-19 only happens to old people and poor people, so they, being netiher old nor poor, wil be okay without masks. And who gives a shit about old people or poor people anyway? Reducing their numbers a bit is probably a good thing, right?
It's the same here in upscale suburban Kansas City. The people mostly wearing masks are the elderly or those really concerned. The younger crowd, not so much and I almost never see children wearing them.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretful Porpentine View Post
Dunno how it is elsewhere in the country, but in my little corner of a very red state, mask-wearing has gone slowly and steadily up -- I would estimate that about one person in fifty was wearing one in the grocery store at the end of March, and it's probably around 60-70% now. When I see people from the local area complaining on social media about how people "don't want to wear masks anymore," I can't help wondering if they're comparing what they see to an imaginary ideal world where everyone is wearing a mask all the time, rather than accurately remembering how things actually were a few weeks ago.
My observations as well. Purple area of a red state: the same area from with which Trump is threatening to take his football and go home, or at least elsewhere. A month, six weeks ago, seeing someone masked in a food store was not rare, but a distinct minority. Now it's rare to see someone in a food store sans mask, even more so now in the midst of "stage-1 re-opening". I feel less uneasy, and others seem to as well. Same for work: blue-collar technical place. Masks here and there but even before corporate requirement, the use went up steadily. There's some astroturf-ey faux dissidents spewing shit about a "PLAN-demic", they're laughed at as crackpots, much to their irritation. I simply don't see this "counter movement" anywhere else but in the media. This bucks up my faith in humanity somewhat.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Guy View Post

Northwest Indiana here, near Chicago.

While most people are wearing masks, and even most of those that don't are well behaved, there certainly are a couple of problem children out there. If you're at the store just to do your own shopping you likely won't encounter one, but if like me you're at the store 40 or more hours a week yep, you're going to see them occasionally. So far, we've only needed to involved the police once that I've known about.

Uniformly, the maskless and angry seem to have drunk the far-right Kool-Aid. They are angry and hostile to anyone that isn't like them and doesn't believe as they do.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
At this point, nothing. These people have consciously decided to ignore every scrap of evidence, every logical argument, every lived experience of those more knowledgeable, to deliberately not do what they should do, and they go out of their way to actively harass those they see who are doing the right thing. Why would you imagine that now, at long last, someone will come up with the magical reasonable argument that will finally get the message across?

What we need to do is tell the population at large that violence against these morons is now considered to be legitimate self defense, and encourage the public at large to break the nose of any of these goddamn idiots who get in their faces with their stupidity. Break enough noses, and they'll at least get the message that being an idiot is unsafe, even if they never quite figure out why.

Every single moron you've ever seen in one of those "Karen" videos gets away with being a stupid jerk because they know that no one else will just haul off and belt them in the nose. Take that away, and The Karens will run and hide.

And if they don't, the videos will at least be more entertaining.
If the President came out strongly in favor of wearing at least cloth masks, led the way by wearing one when touring manufacturing plants, showed people the best way to put them on and take them off, it would make a huge difference.

It would help himself by reducing the spread of disease, help reopen the economy, have fewer Americans die.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:40 AM

Quote:
This is an important factor. The noisy idiots think they're a majority, but they're not. They sound like a majority, but they're not. Polls show a large majority are in favor of things like social distancing and masks.
My business is 100% "do not enter without a mask". On a given day I'll interact with 15 people, 14 of whom will be masked. But every day there has been one person who bitches about their freedom/whatever. Even one out of fifteen is a pain in the ass.

I just explain that I'm following the state's requirements and I threaten to call the police if they do not leave. I've actually picked up the phone a few times but I've never had to dial beyond "9" (we have no number for police other than 911).

When I throw someone out I do not pull any punches. "Get the fuck out" gets someone's attention. There was a woman who refused to mask during the first week of masking here. I told her to get the fuck out. She took such umbrage to the work "fuck" that I'm still hearing about it. She filed a complaint with the Better Business Bozos (I'm not a member), sent me a snail mail (hanging up at work, lots of laughs), and will eventually undoubtedly gun me down in the street.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

I shop at a grocery store on the edge of town in Western North Carolina, and I'd say at least a third of customers are maskless. It's really frustrating. Our county just put in a mandatory mask law, but:
1) They've said it won't be enforced; and
2) They waited until after Memorial Day weekend, so that it wouldn't interfere with tourism.

Really frustrating.

I would love for somebody braver than I to engage in some civil disobedience at one of these maskless protest. They could take off their pants. Get arrested for offending people's sense of decorum by not wearing pants, while idiots next to them endanger everyone's lives by not wearing a mask. Put paid to the stupid "FREEDOM" argument.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:52 AM

My only quibble with the OP is the use of an apostrophe in a plural noun. Yes, the Cult Of Donald can tolerate no action that contradicts the Dear Leader. Facebook is rife with conspiracy theories and virus denial. All because Donald can never under any circumstance be wrong about anything. This time it's not something laughable like altering a hurricane forecast map with a Sharpie and then denying knowledge of it. This is real shit. People are dying, many of whom did not need to. The government is still dragging its feet, kicking and screaming to resist more widespread testing. Why? Because more testing makes the number of known cases go up. They're perfectly content to have millions of unknown cases running around infecting others, they just don't want the numbers to look bad for Donald.

For what it's worth, in my area (Lansing MI) masks are required to enter most stores. The vast majority are following the rules. Yet there are the minority who think this is Governor Whitmer's plan to steal the election from the Dear Leader. There were the armed morons who stormed the state capitol building and pointed guns at legislators. These people are terrorists, pure and simple.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
If the President came out strongly in favor of wearing at least cloth masks, led the way by wearing one when touring manufacturing plants, showed people the best way to put them on and take them off, it would make a huge difference.

It would help himself by reducing the spread of disease, help reopen the economy, have fewer Americans die.

If.

Of course, that won't happen, because the president is one of these stupid morons.

Alas, he has a cadre of professional bodyguards, so punching him in the nose isn't really an option. Even though he absolutely deserves it.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
If.

Of course, that won't happen, because the president is one of these stupid morons.

Alas, he has a cadre of professional bodyguards, so punching him in the nose isn't really an option. Even though he absolutely deserves it.
I know, but it's causing so many pointless deaths. I was going to start a thread on this in IMHO or the Pit, but do we really need another Trump-bashing thread? No.

It would just be so easy for him to make such a huge, impactful difference for the course of this virus.

To our few remaining Trump supporters: Do you think he should come out strongly in favor of wearing a mask when around other people? Do you think he should lead by example, even if he's not really at risk due to everyone else around him taking precautions?
Old 05-26-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Uniformly, the maskless and angry seem to have drunk the far-right Kool-Aid. They are angry and hostile to anyone that isn't like them and doesn't believe as they do.
I don't know about this. Or at least there's a lot of regional variation.

The maskless around here are certainly angry and hostile. Almost without exception, the response to the most polite suggestion that the person put on a mask is a torrent of profanity, and often enough a threat of violence.

But have they drunk the far-right Kool-Aid? I don't think so. This is brownstone Brooklyn, after all. It's as blue as you can get. Right up there with Berkeley and, say, Ann Arbor.

We are, unfortunately, home to a significant number of finance bros, who (a) are probably happy enough to go along with Trump, just so they get the financial deregulation and tax breaks they want, and (b) really don't give a shit about the people most at risk for this thing, i.e., the elderly and the poor, especially the non-white poor.

But they're not likely to march on the state capitol with an AR-15. They can, after all, do their jobs just fine from home. And you won't see them waving a Confederate flag, because there is a social cost to that kind of asshole-ness in NYC.

And I know the internet tough guys here will advocate punching them in the nose or some such nonsense, but as a 60+ year old man with multiple joint replacements and other implants, and a history of heart disease, I'm not up to beating up, say, a couple of twenty- or thirty-something year old runners. Believe me, I'd like to, but it's not really a practical suggestion.

I don't see a solution. The NYPD seems perfectly content to enforce mask and social distancing requirements in the poor and non-white neighborhoods of the city, but it's rare to see a police officer at all around here, let alone cops in the park enforcing anything.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't know about this. Or at least there's a lot of regional variation.

The maskless around here are certainly angry and hostile. Almost without exception, the response to the most polite suggestion that the person put on a mask is a torrent of profanity, and often enough a threat of violence.

But have they drunk the far-right Kool-Aid? I don't think so. This is brownstone Brooklyn, after all. It's as blue as you can get. Right up there with Berkeley and, say, Ann Arbor.
We don't have political party apartheid. It is perfectly possible to be rabid-right in a blue state, or lunatic-left in a red state. It's not the geography, it's the person.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
We don't have political party apartheid. It is perfectly possible to be rabid-right in a blue state, or lunatic-left in a red state. It's not the geography, it's the person.
Of course.

What I meant, though, was that the maskless jerks around here aren't rabid right. They're hostile and angry, sure, but not rabid right. Probably not Republicans at all, and certainly not Trump republicans (although they're happy enough to take any deregulation that comes along -- they're basically neoliberals).

Hostile and angry transcends political leanings. Being inconsiderate of one's neighbors knows no party affiliation, nor does being a self-centered jerk
Old 05-26-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
When I throw someone out I do not pull any punches. "Get the fuck out" gets someone's attention. There was a woman who refused to mask during the first week of masking here. I told her to get the fuck out. She took such umbrage to the work "fuck" that I'm still hearing about it. She filed a complaint with the Better Business Bozos (I'm not a member), sent me a snail mail (hanging up at work, lots of laughs), ...
That's fucking beautiful!
Old 05-26-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:

There's only one way to get Trump to wear a mask, and that's to convince him it will help him get re-elected. That's all he cares about, surprisingly.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:43 PM

Just realized today... the smug look on the faces of people who refuse to wear a mask at Walmart is the exact same "whauttayagonnadoaboutit" look worn by assholes who fell the need to wear a gun on their belt to go shopping in suburbia.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Death. Cult.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown01 View Post
There's only one way to get Trump to wear a mask, and that's to convince him it will help him get re-elected. That's all he cares about, surprisingly.
I think it would help him get reelected. His 40% base will vote for him no matter what, and he might make inroads in the more swing voters if he showed some leadership on this and saved some lives. Plus, when the number of cases goes down quicker than otherwise, states will reopen earlier.

His poll numbers are getting worse, not better. Maybe encouraging mask-wearing would reverse that trend.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I think it would help him get reelected. His 40% base will vote for him no matter what, and he might make inroads in the more swing voters if he showed some leadership on this and saved some lives. Plus, when the number of cases goes down quicker than otherwise, states will reopen earlier.

His poll numbers are getting worse, not better. Maybe encouraging mask-wearing would reverse that trend.
You're talking about a guy who can never admit to being wrong about anything. He can not possibly change course now.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:10 AM

Here in Ontario, I haven't noticed any left/right divisions on masks. Far from universal adoption -- the slightly more strongly worded suggestion to wear them is fairly recent. Really, it's only suggested for situations where social distancing is difficult, such as small stores or a medical appointment. Most stores, lucky if even close to half the people are wearing them. I haven't noticed the non-wearers to be obviously worse at social distancing.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
You're talking about a guy who can never admit to being wrong about anything. He can not possibly change course now.
I was so disappointed that the Ford plant in Ypsilanti, Michigan let Trump tour the plant without a mask a few days ago. (He actually wore one at some point, off-camera, but "didnít want to give the press the pleasure of seeing it.Ē) How juicy would it have been to deny him entry when he refused to put one on, or immediately have him removed from the premises when he took it off? I know he's surrounded by Secret Service, but that still doesn't give him the right to remain on private property if he deliberately breaks posted rules.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
But with Trump, those aren't the same thing. He's incapable of admitting to being wrong, but he's perfectly capable of saying or doing things that are contradictory to things he's said or done in the past.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Wearing masks in public places is the right thing to do because you can't always insure that you will be 6 feet or greater from everyone you will encounter, especially in stores, picking up food, etc.

If you are running outside, and are able to stay at least 6 feet away from others, then I don't think you need to wear a mask.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
Wearing masks in public places is the right thing to do because you can't always insure that you will be 6 feet or greater from everyone you will encounter, especially in stores, picking up food, etc.

If you are running outside, and are able to stay at least 6 feet away from others, then I don't think you need to wear a mask.
I agree with this. I always wear a mask when I go into a store, and I've worn it in crowded state parks, because the trails are too narrow to get away from people.

But, just walking around? No, I don't. I end up having to walk around people onto lawns, into the street, etc., but I'd rather do that when I'm just walking around outside.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Here in Ontario, I haven't noticed any left/right divisions on masks. Far from universal adoption -- the slightly more strongly worded suggestion to wear them is fairly recent. Really, it's only suggested for situations where social distancing is difficult, such as small stores or a medical appointment. Most stores, lucky if even close to half the people are wearing them. I haven't noticed the non-wearers to be obviously worse at social distancing.

It doesn't hurt that, when we had one of those stupid anti-lockdown protests early on, Doug Ford (the right-wing conservative Premier of Ontario, for those who don't know him) didn't hesitate to denounce the protestors as "a bunch of yahoos". I'm not a fan of Doug Ford, but he's clearly demonstrated the difference between leadership and partisanship during this crisis, and that's a large part of why we're doing better than the US.

Compare this to Trump playing footsies with their idiots, and the difference is stark.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Yeah, I thought about saying that in my earlier post in this thread, but then I realized that I don't really know what running in Brooklyn is like, and for all I know it's impossible to reliably maintain distance from others. But since then, I've seen a Facebook post from one of my colleagues where she was griping about people not wearing masks on our local walking trail -- which I KNOW is at least ten feet wide and not crowded. (And it's Mississippi in the summer -- wearing a mask for extended periods of outdoor exercise is uncomfortable!)

I think it's safe to say that people can honestly be trying to do their best, but have really different ideas about what's necessary or required -- the advice from public health authorities has been really inconsistent to begin with, and even if it hadn't been, two people can hear the same words and take away totally different messages from them. In this case, some people seem to be hearing "Keeping at least six feet away from other people is ideal, but if you're going to a place where you might not be able to do that, wear a mask" and other people seem to be hearing "Keeping at least six feet away from other people, but preferably much farther, AND wearing a mask are BOTH required at ALL times."

None of this, obviously, excuses people who get belligerent when asked to put on a mask, let alone anyone making death threats like the guy the OP mentioned, but I do think the guidelines about what you "should" do in various situations are less clear than people sometimes assume.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:

Sure. But the sidewalks of this part of Brooklyn are about four feet wide. At best.

And there are precious few spots in NYC where you can count on being six feet or more from everyone else. But if you find a nice isolated spot somewhere, sure, it's nice to get the mask off for a bit.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It doesn't hurt that, when we had one of those stupid anti-lockdown protests early on, Doug Ford (the right-wing conservative Premier of Ontario, for those who don't know him) didn't hesitate to denounce the protestors as "a bunch of yahoos". I'm not a fan of Doug Ford, but he's clearly demonstrated the difference between leadership and partisanship during this crisis, and that's a large part of why we're doing better than the US.

Compare this to Trump playing footsies with their idiots, and the difference is stark.
My opinion of Ford when he became Conservative leader and during the provincial election was that he was "Trump Lite", our very own bozo leader. I still don't like his policies, but he's really stepped up to the plate for the pandemic, and proven to be capable of listening to his advisors and learning from them, and telling us what we need to hear from our Premier. I likely won't ever vote for him, but I certainly won't laugh at him any more.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Sure. But the sidewalks of this part of Brooklyn are about four feet wide. At best.

And there are precious few spots in NYC where you can count on being six feet or more from everyone else. But if you find a nice isolated spot somewhere, sure, it's nice to get the mask off for a bit.
It actually not that bad to be within a six-foot radius of someone else for a short period of time when outdoors, such as a few seconds while passing them on a trail. Unless they sneeze or cough directly on you, they just aren't shedding enough virions for you to become infected. Indoors is a bigger risk because the virions have nowhere to go, and accumulate in the environment. I would only wear a mask outdoors if I were in a truly crowded environment where it was difficult to ever be more than six feet from strangers. A crowded sidewalk, maybe. Middle of Prospect Park in Brooklyn, nah..
Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM

I'm in a purple city in a red state. Mask usage here during lockdown was up to about 75% but now that we've opened up, I'd guess it's around 40% most places.
Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM

On the intelligence of the mask-less

Yesterday I stopped at an independent auto parts place to get a bulb for my car. On Amazon I saw a two pack of the bulbs for $14.

Because our county is now "yellow", apparently masks are no longer required in auto parts stores. I got out of my car, put on my mask, and walked in. I was the only customer, but I was shocked to see the three workers all mask less.

I showed a worker my bulb and he got a replacement. I paid with a twenty, got my change, and left. At home I was surprised when I counted my change and saw I'd been given $19.93 cents change. I'm guessing he charged me seven cents instead of seven dollars, maybe? (They only give receipts if you request one)