Old 05-27-2020, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Like many homeowners I have an ever accumulating list of repairs/projects. I also procrastinate. But I was doing well. Last week I got the toilet repaired. Yesterday I had 2 trees taken out in the back. Then this morning I woke up to find that the bathroom mirror had fallen off the wall. The only reason it didn’t crash all the way to the floor and give me a middle of the night heart attack is that the bottom edge is sitting on the counter and it’s leaning forward against a plug in a wall outlet. I’m not sure how I’m going to get it down without dropping and shattering it. I’ve been meaning to remodel that bathroom anyway...
Old 05-27-2020, 09:19 PM

Folacin, I just moved from Texas to Michigan. So I'm waffling a bit, since I dunno how long the heat really lasts.

My parents' bathroom mirror came off the wall one night. Builder installed wall mount FAIL we had three collective heart attacks, I think.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
Hey Ladies

Hereís the thing that no one warns you about. You will always read that your periods may become irregular as you start to reach menopause. So I thought - that means Iíll start getting them less often, itíll be 5 or 6 weeks instead of 4 weeks, then I might start missing them completely then eventually theyíll dwindle down to nothing.

But in reality they started coming two or three weeks apart. Then theyíd disappear completely for several weeks, then the two week cycles would come back. This went on for something like 7 or 8 years, seriously. I thought I would never reach the other side.

Now, with all that safely in the rear view mirror, I canít understand how I put up with periods for 40 years. Itís awesome not to have to deal with that anymore.
I've always had summer and winter calendars. Like clockwork during the summer... then in September or October (I finally figured out how to predict when) it would be a week early... like clockwork... move back in March/April...

Right now the winter calendar is "no period, no cramps, occasional attacks of probably-hormonal-rage" and the summer calendar is "yoohoo, I thought I'd drop by!" The bloat is twice what it should be: I've gone from losing 2kg on the first day to losing 4kg; sadly they're all water, but hey, gaining weight and having a belly when I normally don't are both signs that I should make sure I know where the ibuprofen is.

Remark from my doc when she asked if I was still having my periods and I said "in the winter no, in the summer yes": "damn, it couldn't be the other way round!"

Last edited by Nava; 05-28-2020 at 04:16 AM.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:53 AM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
Are you actually in Texas? In which case you'll probably need a window unit.

Somehow, I thought you were in upper Midwest somewhere - in which case you might consider a bed for the basement. WAG more-or-less the same cost (depending on how good a mattress you need), and no running costs.

The basement in the family home in MN stayed cool all summer long - I used to sleep down there when working the night shift picking peas/canning corn.
Growing up, we had 3 twin beds in the basement, in the 'kid cave' my parents established to keep us out from underfoot. You are right about the temp being stable, I think it sticked at no warmer than about 70 all year long. No heat sources down there except the furnace and hot water heater to warm it up in the winter, no AC in the entire house in the summer.

At the summer house, we would frequently set a tent up in the back under trees and stay out there instead of in the cottage. We glamped ... we ran an extension cord out and had a tiny 9 inch diagonal tube tv [well this was early to mid 70s. I was out there watching TV when they announced Elvis was dead...] and 3 army cots my dad 'found' somewhere =)
Old 05-28-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
My parents' bathroom mirror came off the wall one night. Builder installed wall mount FAIL we had three collective heart attacks, I think.
Ugh. That happened to me not too long ago, while reading in my "library" with my back to the open bathroom door. There was a brief "pop" sound followed by the crash and suddenly finding myself barefoot, surrounded by billions of glass shards on the hardwood floor. The racing heart wasn't as bad as the super-annoying cleanup, though. There's still occasional sparkles in the seams between the floorboards.

It's still unreplaced thanks to coronavirus; I'm thinking I'll just tell any (far-future) visitors that I don't allow mirrors in the house. Because I'm a vampire.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:47 PM

The whole virus thing is The Best excuse for... well, whatever!
Projects not done, trips postponed, people ignored.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightray View Post
It's still unreplaced thanks to coronavirus; I'm thinking I'll just tell any (far-future) visitors that I don't allow mirrors in the house. Because I'm a vampire.
A girl I went to school with was afraid of mirrors because she thought they were portals to another dimension. You could tell people that the mirror fell off because the inter-dimensional portal collapsed.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
The whole virus thing is The Best excuse for... well, whatever!
Projects not done, trips postponed, people ignored.
Boy are you right! I'm all "oh, I was going to do that, but then things went crazy..." and people nod in understanding.

One of the things I can't procrastinate is my replacing my phone. Darn it, I was perfectly happy with my old droid and don't wont another one. My BB tried to find the same phone online, but its too old. Now I get to transfer data while hoping I don't lose anything and learn a new model which is going to be just different enough to be super annoying. Grumble.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Got to work this morning, and had to haul my computer inside in the rain. The bottom didn't fall out until I was safely inside, at which point I discovered that there's apparently some roof damage over my office. I got to listen to the "TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP" of water hitting the drop ceiling for most of the morning. I've complained about the stained ceiling tiles ever since I moved into the office and noticed that they got a bit darker with each rainstorm; each time, I've been dismissed with "oh, we'll replace those tiles for you!" >.< The general manager actually came in to see the leak for himself, since he was absolutely sure those roofing guys did such a great job finding all the problem areas the last time the roof leaked.

Just before it was time to leave, I noticed that my desk phone (a Cisco VOIP with a big screen) wasn't on. Hmm. Turns out that there was no internet signal at all from the jack on that side of the office. I didn't think to check the other one while I was there, since there's a spare computer plugged into it for the folks working from home...but I'm able to remotely log in to that spare computer, so apparently the internet is still working there.

Got home and checked the mail, and there was nothing in the box but a lump. Eww. Grabbed a flashlight to check it out, and discovered a writhing mass of ants and eggs. I guess they fled the excessive rains, and found a nice dry spot to setup a new nest. >.< While cleaning the mailbox, I quickly discovered that what I had thought was debris on the outside is actually chipped paint. Yay, another outdoor project just as the weather is starting to get unbearable around here.

ETA: I forgot to grab some hair clips before leaving home this morning, so I resorted to using a paperclip to keep an unruly piece of hair out of my face. At least I found one that matched my shirt.

Last edited by Jeep's Phoenix; 05-28-2020 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlined View Post
One of the things I can't procrastinate is my replacing my phone...
Anti-rant: I was afraid I'd have to, but I refuse! I love my tiny old iPhone (new ones are too big and too expensive). So I backed up, gave it amnesia and loaded half the stuff back on. And it's acting like it's a young'un again. Phew!

Same with my bike. Needed a rebuild or at least an overhaul before all this hit, and now the local bike shops are full up for months. AND you have to leave your bike there for seven to ten weeks! But I took apart what I could, lubed up what I couldn't, and it's been faithfully taking me to small towns, on almost-abandoned* country roads.

*I'm not ignoring humanity, I'm being responsible (hee, hee).
Old 05-28-2020, 10:18 PM

Q: What's worse than being cooped up in pandemic isolation?

A: (1) Being cooped up in pandemic isolation and suddenly getting a pounding toothache. Or, if you prefer,
(2) Being cooped up in pandemic isolation and starting to get a sore throat -- classic COVID-19 symptom!

Best of all is getting (1) and (2) at the same time.

Fortunately, I find in my old age that toothaches tend to be fleeting things, and once gone, they tend to stay gone for a long time or forever. And the sore throat seems to have disappeared, with no other symptoms. I attribute that to the best known COVID-19 preventative currently known to medicine, rum and red wine.

Yes, I do intend to have my teeth checked out, but not now, while dentists are cowering in fear and limiting themselves to urgent emergency procedures only.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

This mini rant goes out to my neighbor down the street. Dude, your yard is not only an eyesore, it's a traffic hazard.

This guy moved into the house on the corner about five years ago. Best as I can tell, it's just him and a couple dogs. The first thing he did after moving was he dug up about half his yard and planted flowers everywhere. Except there doesn't appear to be any particular plan or pattern, just "oh here's a place I can plant some more." I suspect he did it to cut down on the amount of lawn he has to mow, because he only mows about once every two weeks. But he also doesn't bother weeding or tending his flowerbeds, so they're just as full of weeds as they are of flowers.

Here's the traffic hazard part. The cross street at the end of the block is the major street through the neighborhood, with a fair amount of traffic. On that edge of his yard, he planted a bunch of irises, which grow to about three feet tall. (Not to mention all the just-as-tall weeds in there.) So when you pull up to the intersection in your car, you have to pull a couple of feet out to see around the irises and shit to see if there is a car coming.

- The Police, "One World"
Old 05-29-2020, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
Got to work this morning, and had to haul my computer inside in the rain. The bottom didn't fall out until I was safely inside, at which point I discovered that there's apparently some roof damage over my office. I got to listen to the "TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP" of water hitting the drop ceiling for most of the morning. I've complained about the stained ceiling tiles ever since I moved into the office and noticed that they got a bit darker with each rainstorm; each time, I've been dismissed with "oh, we'll replace those tiles for you!" >.< The general manager actually came in to see the leak for himself, since he was absolutely sure those roofing guys did such a great job finding all the problem areas the last time the roof leaked.
I once worked graveyard shift in the top floor of a very old building in Manhattan. When it rained there were several leaks dripping down in various places. Each time, we had to move equipment out of the way. What's more, all the heat in the building turned off at 5 pm, so in winter we had to work in our coats and gloves, with inadequate space heaters. And I won't try to describe the tiny lavatory.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:54 PM

last week it barley made 50=60 degrees at noon ... now its 102 by 10 am ........ and the coolers out but its not gonna do much even when its fixed cause its a "swamp" cooler ...

Yeah when we move next year the new places is gonna have central heat/air ,,,,,,,,
Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM

Hitler runs this company

Online review of mail-order plant nursery:

"They are unsympathetic and have a Nazi like devotion to their policy. Three days to report shipping damages! That is ridiculous!"

What's growing in your Godwin garden?
Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM

Not a rant:
I'd just like to say I like the name of this thread. Thanks, Monty.

nightshadea, I also have a swamp cooler as the only means of cooling besides having the windows open. The battle against heat can be a struggle sometimes.