Old 11-06-2019, 09:51 PM

Presidents and sports

Donald Trump probably became the first president to wade into cultural tensions with sports, particularly the National Basketball Association (NBA), arguably the world's largest sport next to international soccer.

The black-majority NBA and Trump has a strained relationship.

They represent in the eyes of white America, the 88% of black voters that supported Democrat Hillary Clinton over Trump in 2016.

NHL, MLB, NFL champions attend the White House under Trump; NBA does not.

Why is that?

Kurt Suzuki and Ryan Zimmerman of the Washington Nationals showed that they are rich-Trump supporting Americans this week when Trump quickly invited the 2019 World Series champs to the White House this week.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...o_live_in.html

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ryan-zimmerman
Old 11-06-2019, 10:36 PM

Not all of the players from MLB, NHL and NFL were present during Tumpy Wumpy’s reign. Even pukehead Roger Clemens refused to visit Obama. And Sean Doolittle is a white pitcher who refuses to visit for the Nats this year.

Last edited by Locrian; 11-06-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, why in the world would black people have a problem with Trump? Truly, one of life's most puzzling mysteries. It isn't as though he's ever done or said anything that could possibly have rubbed them the wrong way. In the eyes of this white American, it represents a baffling conundrum that not even Democrat Hillary Clinton and her cabal of ivory tower elitist eggheads could solve.

I don't know if my mind is boggling as hard as the OP's, but it's definitely boggling. I'm so glad someone finally asked this question. Fellow Dopers, commence the Great Debate!
Old 11-07-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs View Post

They represent in the eyes of white America, the 88% of black voters that supported Democrat Hillary Clinton over Trump in 2016.
You should come for a visit. Find out what it's like here. This above thing that I quoted here... WTF?
Old 11-07-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
I believe you are mistaken. I read recently that Trump has a black friend. так что!
Old 11-07-2019, 07:50 AM

People are making a big deal about Trump getting booed by Nats fans, but they forget that we also booed George W Bush when he through out the first pitch at a Nats game.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

I’ve been following baseball for a long time, it’s never been a secret that many of them that are political lean conservative. Just look at all the military and patriotic stuff that surrounds baseball, of course Memorial Day and Independence Day do fall during baseball season.

Now college football in Alabama isn’t going to allow student protests when Trump visits. I have no idea about the politics of the Alabama campus, but I assume it’s full of Trumpers given its location.
https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...ring-lsu-game/

Last edited by dalej42; 11-07-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:06 PM

Packers tight end Mark Chmura did not visit the White House after his team's Super Bowl win in the 90s. There was a lot of talk during that time that Chmura felt it was inappropriate to visit Clinton there during the sex scandal there but Wikipedia says that he went to a charity golf outing on that weekend because he wanted to support that. Of course, Chmura then went hot tubbing with some high school girls, so I'd like to think he wasn't being hypocritical about the White House visit.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

I also wonder what the background check is like for that kind of event since they’ll be close to the President. I could see some guys not wanting to disclose something from their youth especially if they’ve got a squeaky clean image now. Why drag up a DUI at 18 or being caught with a baggie of weed in the college dorm?
Old 11-07-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
NHL, MLB, NFL champions attend the White House under Trump; NBA does not.
Actually, the only Super Bowl champions to visit the White House under Trump were the Patriots in 2017. In 2018 the White House cancelled the invitation to the Eagles when it turned most of the players weren't going to attend. This year the Patriots didn't visit either, ostensibly due to scheduling issues, but it's likely they cancelled to avoid the embarrassment of a lot of Patriots players boycotting the visit as well.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:13 PM

I have no actual idea what kind of background checks might be involved, but I'd bet they'd be pretty minimal, considering that the players will presumably have gone through metal detectors and there will be Secret Service agents present.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

A professional athlete wouldn't need any metal to be a threat to an octogenarian, if he chose to be so.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Donald Trump probably became the first president to wade into cultural tensions with sports
Sorry, not even close.

How Nixon Turned Football into a Political Weapon

The difference is that Nixon actually liked football.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
Packers tight end Mark Chmura did not visit the White House after his team's Super Bowl win in the 90s. There was a lot of talk during that time that Chmura felt it was inappropriate to visit Clinton there during the sex scandal there but Wikipedia says that he went to a charity golf outing on that weekend because he wanted to support that. Of course, Chmura then went hot tubbing with some high school girls, so I'd like to think he wasn't being hypocritical about the White House visit.
Yes, there are a lot of conservative athletes in America, and whenever there are Democratic presidents, they do not attend.

Former Boston Bruins player Tim Thomas did not attend the White House to celebrate the 2011 Stanley Cup champs, because he disagreed with Obama's politics.

The 2000 Yankees championship club liked George W. Bush than they did Bill Clinton, they liked Bush's quicker speeches.

https://www.courant.com/news/connect...645-story.html

https://www.espn.com/boston/nhl/stor...make-statement

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tim-tho...to-snub-obama/
Old 11-08-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
Not all of the players from MLB, NHL and NFL were present during Tumpy Wumpyís reign. Even pukehead Roger Clemens refused to visit Obama. And Sean Doolittle is a white pitcher who refuses to visit for the Nats this year.
Clemens won championships in the 1990s and 2000s.

I am sure he probably skipped one of the Clinton visits; I heard somewhere that Clemens and fellow Yankee and friend Andy Pettitte did not like Clinton's sexual infidelities.

Even former Yankees legend Joe DiMaggio, was conservative. DiMaggio despised baby boomer-draft dodger Bill Clinton before he passed away in 1999 at the age of 84.

https://dutchbaseballhangout.wordpre...-joe-dimaggio/
Old 11-08-2019, 04:23 PM

Bone Spurs Bill, as he was known.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
I am sure he probably skipped one of the Clinton visits; I heard somewhere that Clemens and fellow Yankee and friend Andy Pettitte did not like Clinton's sexual infidelities.
That's rich coming from Roger Clemens, a guy who carried on a decade-long affair with a female country singer half his age who later committed suicide.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, there are a lot of conservative athletes in America, and whenever there are Democratic presidents, they do not attend.

Former Boston Bruins player Tim Thomas did not attend the White House to celebrate the 2011 Stanley Cup champs, because he disagreed with Obama's politics.

The 2000 Yankees championship club liked George W. Bush than they did Bill Clinton, they liked Bush's quicker speeches.

https://www.courant.com/news/connect...645-story.html

https://www.espn.com/boston/nhl/stor...make-statement

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tim-tho...to-snub-obama/
Tim Thomas went batshit crazy and took a year off from playing hockey to supposedly focus on faith and family. Iím sure it has nothing to do with Tukka Rask.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Bone Spurs Bill, as he was known.
Cute line, except that Bill never claimed bone spurs. You must be thinking of Bone Spurs Donald.

The other guy was I Never Inhaled Bill.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:51 PM

*off mike*
Yeah, but see, someone just critcized Clinton because he...
Oh, nevermind.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
That's rich coming from Roger Clemens, a guy who carried on a decade-long affair with a female country singer half his age who later committed suicide.
Clemens is seen as a typical white male Republican; hypocritical on family values issues, like Gingrich.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
*off mike*
Yeah, but see, someone just critcized Clinton because he...
Oh, nevermind.
DiMaggio was a old school.

Bill Clinton is seen as the baby-boomer irresponsible draft dodger than the Silent and Greatest generations did not like and that millennials mock as "Ok Boomer".
Old 11-09-2019, 07:18 PM

*mike back on*
Joltin Joe was a old school, all right. A really old school.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Iíve been following baseball for a long time, itís never been a secret that many of them that are political lean conservative. Just look at all the military and patriotic stuff that surrounds baseball, of course Memorial Day and Independence Day do fall during baseball season.

Now college football in Alabama isnít going to allow student protests when Trump visits. I have no idea about the politics of the Alabama campus, but I assume itís full of Trumpers given its location.
https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...ring-lsu-game/
What other college games has he attended? How did he get invited to this one?

Any chance that this was just a chance to exclude Jeff Sessions from the Presidential Box?
Old 11-09-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
*mike back on*
Joltin Joe was a old school, all right. A really old school.
He was a old school white man. That is the truth.

A lot of them don't like the Clintons. Period.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasg View Post
What other college games has he attended? How did he get invited to this one?

Any chance that this was just a chance to exclude Jeff Sessions from the Presidential Box?
Most of the white college athletes, some of them are Republican-leaning as well.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Many NASCAR fans are white. They drink American beers and vote Republican.

Hillary Clinton is seen as a wife of the ex-president Bill Clinton, a Democrat. Most white Republicans did not vote for the Clintons.

NBA players are often black, while professional golfers are usually white. A knowing exception to this is Tiger Woods, a very famous golfer and a friend of the Republican US President Donald Trump, who is a white man.

Why is that?
Old 11-10-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Many NASCAR fans are white. They drink American beers and vote Republican.

Hillary Clinton is seen as a wife of the ex-president Bill Clinton, a Democrat. Most white Republicans did not vote for the Clintons.

NBA players are often black, while professional golfers are usually white. A knowing exception to this is Tiger Woods, a very famous golfer and a friend of the Republican US President Donald Trump, who is a white man.

Why is that?
NBA players tend to be liberal. But I wonder if some of the white NBA players tend to be more liberal like their black colleagues. Whenever a Republican is in office, the NBA teams always opt out of going. Whenever a Democratic president is in office, some white NHL or MLB players opt out.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:48 AM

Have you ever noticed how white people drive like this....