Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 11-15-2019, 12:11 AM
Biotop's Avatar
Biotop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Faber, VA
Posts: 8,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
Think of the US as a creature. Examine statistics of this creature's behaviors - its deeds, not its words. This creature is addicted to violence, especially via firearms. By objective measures, this creature hates facts, children, women, queers, non-whites, non-elites, and non-believers. This creature kills what it hates. Are we surprised?
Many many people are better than that. It's wrong to judge the whole country on the actions of some.
  #52  
Old 11-15-2019, 12:40 AM
RioRico is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: beyond cell service
Posts: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotop View Post
Many many people are better than that. It's wrong to judge the whole country on the actions of some.
Mammals are composed of zillions of cells with varied DNAs. What we do personally is not what each of those components does individually. The US is comprised of many many fine folks but what this nation does - actions, not words - is beyond our individual reach. The nation hates and kills, even if YOU don't.

I'm not judging the US by individuals. I look at the collective numbers. Sad.
  #53  
Old 11-15-2019, 02:01 AM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
Mammals are composed of zillions of cells with varied DNAs. What we do personally is not what each of those components does individually. The US is comprised of many many fine folks but what this nation does - actions, not words - is beyond our individual reach. The nation hates and kills, even if YOU don't.

I'm not judging the US by individuals. I look at the collective numbers. Sad.
What the fuck are you even talking about? You sound like a Google Translate result gone wrong.
  #54  
Old 11-15-2019, 02:30 AM
nightshadea is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: a condo in hell 10th lvl
Posts: 5,900
what's so scary is this school is only 45 minutes from me ..... in fact in the early 90s i almost went there.....
  #55  
Old 11-15-2019, 04:30 AM
24KARAT is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 10
My 2 cents?
Not that it'll change anybody or any laws.
.
Me? I'd go with the Get Real. 1) A gun has never ever jumped up & shot anyone. It's a tool -period. Constitutional law has designed it for to keep our goverrnment in-check. And to keep foreign invading governments out. Look @ Switzerland's history; every man & household is legally required to have & to know how to respect / use a gun. 2) Parents are legally responsible for their children. Until a "child" is of an age of accountability, it's on the parents. {It's the way it was yet is no longer} 3) Morals within society today make death of no big deal. Movies, video games, the removal of life from an infant / abortion, etc. 4) Meds / Narcotics that twist & distort the brain / biochemistry into a passive yet deceptive state. Maybe even never to return & develop into "normal". Put a developing brain, a child on such & yea, big oooops! Why it's called "practicing" medicine? Because nobody really knows what they are doing? Check out the now historical facts of such shootings & the meds, there there. Perhaps whom ever writes out the perscriptions (usually shrinks) can be held more accountable? Lawsuit? Loss of "license" to "practice". Firing squad?
.
People seem to only talk of the dead. & yes, to die before living life is sad. WAY sad. Especially when taken by force.
As for the wounded, my heart goes out. A bullet ripping through any tissue is never 100% repairable. Like a wrecked car -never the same.

Last edited by 24KARAT; 11-15-2019 at 04:31 AM.
  #56  
Old 11-15-2019, 04:44 AM
Novelty Bobble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: South East England
Posts: 9,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24KARAT View Post
A gun has never ever jumped up & shot anyone. It's a tool -period. Constitutional law has designed it for to keep our goverrnment in-check. And to keep foreign invading governments out. Look @ Switzerland's history; every man & household is legally required to have & to know how to respect / use a gun.
You are right that Switzerland has a high rate of gun ownership compared to much of Europe and it is highly regulated.

Even so, would you care to guess where Switzerland is on the european table of per-capita gun deaths?
__________________
I'm saving this space for the first good insult hurled my way
  #57  
Old 11-15-2019, 04:53 AM
galen ubal is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Central VIC Australia
Posts: 2,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
You are right that Switzerland has a high rate of gun ownership compared to much of Europe and it is highly regulated.

Even so, would you care to guess where Switzerland is on the european table of per-capita gun deaths?
Here's a graph with the rate of gun deaths per 100,000 people, showing the US, Switzerland, and Austalia. The US has the most guns, and lax regulation. Switzerland has a fair number of guns, but fairly strict regulation. Australia has few guns, and strict regulation.
Here's the rate of private gun ownership, same countries.
Here's the overall homicide rate, any method, the same three countries.

More guns and looser laws make for more death. Period.

Last edited by galen ubal; 11-15-2019 at 04:54 AM.
  #58  
Old 11-15-2019, 05:40 AM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 11,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24KARAT View Post
My 2 cents?
Not that it'll change anybody or any laws.
.
Me? I'd go with the Get Real. 1) A gun has never ever jumped up & shot anyone. It's a tool -period. Constitutional law has designed it for to keep our goverrnment in-check. And to keep foreign invading governments out. Look @ Switzerland's history; every man & household is legally required to have & to know how to respect / use a gun. 2) Parents are legally responsible for their children. Until a "child" is of an age of accountability, it's on the parents. {It's the way it was yet is no longer} 3) Morals within society today make death of no big deal. Movies, video games, the removal of life from an infant / abortion, etc. 4) Meds / Narcotics that twist & distort the brain / biochemistry into a passive yet deceptive state. Maybe even never to return & develop into "normal". Put a developing brain, a child on such & yea, big oooops! Why it's called "practicing" medicine? Because nobody really knows what they are doing? Check out the now historical facts of such shootings & the meds, there there. Perhaps whom ever writes out the perscriptions (usually shrinks) can be held more accountable? Lawsuit? Loss of "license" to "practice". Firing squad?
.
People seem to only talk of the dead. & yes, to die before living life is sad. WAY sad. Especially when taken by force.
As for the wounded, my heart goes out. A bullet ripping through any tissue is never 100% repairable. Like a wrecked car -never the same.
I see. So if I may summarize, gun violence is caused by abortions and prescription drugs. It's not caused by guns, which everyone must have in order to overthrow governments they don't like and keep out invading foreign governments. And psychiatrists should be shot.

It's always good to have some random illiterate join just in time to set us straight on these matters.
  #59  
Old 11-15-2019, 07:37 AM
BeepKillBeep is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,829
The solution is incredibly obvious. What you do is put 50 cal autocannons in every hallway and classroom in America. The top student in each class gets to operate the autocannon in each classroom. The hallway monitors and/or top students in the school get the hallway cannons. End of problem.

As a side benefit, neither the government nor the Queen of England, will ever think about invading any American schools.

* The idea that civilian firearm ownership keeps the government in check and foreign governments out, of all the arguments for gun ownership, is the absolute stupidest. By far. Bigly. Heck, the USA government is slipping into authoritarianism and the side that is the most pro-gun is cheering them on.
  #60  
Old 11-15-2019, 07:40 AM
Novelty Bobble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: South East England
Posts: 9,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
More guns and looser laws make for more death. Period.
In general terms I suspect this the case but of course it won't be a straightforward relationship for all countries.

My own opinion is that past a certain saturation point of guns (possibly handguns in particular) you have the potential for a relatively violent society to make use of that easy access to firearms.

Switch to a more peaceful society generally and number of guns may have a less drastic effect.

For the USA though you have something of a perfect storm, a country with plenty of violence and in which it is very easy to gain access to a gun and ammunition. The number of guns is well past saturation to the point where even taking a couple of hundred million off the streets is probably irrelevant.

Perhaps the most shocking statistic I can find is from this data.

Of course the number of guns/capita in the USA is insanely high, twice as high as the next country. Even more amazing though is the fact that for every 1 registered weapon there are about 400 unregistered weapons. To get any comparable figures of lax control you'd have to go to places such as Sudan, Niger, DRC, Ivory Coast, Mozambique.

Is that a cause? don't know. Does it help? I suspect not.
__________________
I'm saving this space for the first good insult hurled my way
  #61  
Old 11-15-2019, 08:30 AM
BobLibDem is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Home 07 NCAA HockeyChamps
Posts: 21,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24KARAT View Post
My 2 cents?
Not that it'll change anybody or any laws.
.
Me? I'd go with the Get Real. 1) A gun has never ever jumped up & shot anyone. It's a tool -period. Constitutional law has designed it for to keep our goverrnment in-check. And to keep foreign invading governments out. Look @ Switzerland's history; every man & household is legally required to have & to know how to respect / use a gun. 2) Parents are legally responsible for their children. Until a "child" is of an age of accountability, it's on the parents. {It's the way it was yet is no longer} 3) Morals within society today make death of no big deal. Movies, video games, the removal of life from an infant / abortion, etc. 4) Meds / Narcotics that twist & distort the brain / biochemistry into a passive yet deceptive state. Maybe even never to return & develop into "normal". Put a developing brain, a child on such & yea, big oooops! Why it's called "practicing" medicine? Because nobody really knows what they are doing? Check out the now historical facts of such shootings & the meds, there there. Perhaps whom ever writes out the perscriptions (usually shrinks) can be held more accountable? Lawsuit? Loss of "license" to "practice". Firing squad?
.
People seem to only talk of the dead. & yes, to die before living life is sad. WAY sad. Especially when taken by force.
As for the wounded, my heart goes out. A bullet ripping through any tissue is never 100% repairable. Like a wrecked car -never the same.
100% bullshit. I'm surprised you did whine about prayer in schools while you're at it. The "practice" stuff is tinfoil hat material. In your case, perhaps gold-plated tinfoil hat material. People practice medicine, the law, engineering, etc. Perhaps if you'd crack open a dictionary you'd see that the word "practice" has multiple definitions.

More kids dead but they're the price that too many are happy to pay for the "right" to masturbate with their weapons.
  #62  
Old 11-15-2019, 09:19 AM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 11,228
24KARAT is a good example of the illiteracy of the post matching the idiocy of the content. When you have the intelligence of a turnip, you can't write any better than you can think. There's no point in responding to this moron seriously. But it does have humor value. I think abortions being responsible for gun violence is at the top of my list.
  #63  
Old 11-15-2019, 09:40 AM
Annie-Xmas is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 57,656
One thing I have to point out. The USA is a very big country. Comparing it to New Zeland or a European country is just wrong.

And I am glad the shooter shot himself and I hope he dies.
  #64  
Old 11-15-2019, 09:44 AM
Novelty Bobble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: South East England
Posts: 9,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
One thing I have to point out. The USA is a very big country. Comparing it to New Zeland or a European country is just wrong..
Why?

What about Australia?
__________________
I'm saving this space for the first good insult hurled my way
  #65  
Old 11-15-2019, 09:51 AM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 19,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24KARAT View Post
My 2 cents?
Not that it'll change anybody or any laws.
.
Me? I'd go with the Get Real. 1) A gun has never ever jumped up & shot anyone. It's a tool -period. Constitutional law has designed it for to keep our goverrnment in-check. And to keep foreign invading governments out. Look @ Switzerland's history; every man & household is legally required to have & to know how to respect / use a gun. 2) Parents are legally responsible for their children. Until a "child" is of an age of accountability, it's on the parents. {It's the way it was yet is no longer} 3) Morals within society today make death of no big deal. Movies, video games, the removal of life from an infant / abortion, etc. 4) Meds / Narcotics that twist & distort the brain / biochemistry into a passive yet deceptive state. Maybe even never to return & develop into "normal". Put a developing brain, a child on such & yea, big oooops! Why it's called "practicing" medicine? Because nobody really knows what they are doing? Check out the now historical facts of such shootings & the meds, there there. Perhaps whom ever writes out the perscriptions (usually shrinks) can be held more accountable? Lawsuit? Loss of "license" to "practice". Firing squad?
.
People seem to only talk of the dead. & yes, to die before living life is sad. WAY sad. Especially when taken by force.
As for the wounded, my heart goes out. A bullet ripping through any tissue is never 100% repairable. Like a wrecked car -never the same.
Fuck, you're stupid. I mean, congenitally dumb. Beyond repair.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #66  
Old 11-15-2019, 09:52 AM
Biotop's Avatar
Biotop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Faber, VA
Posts: 8,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
One thing I have to point out. The USA is a very big country. Comparing it to New Zeland or a European country is just wrong.

And I am glad the shooter shot himself and I hope he dies.
1 more child dead doesn't help anything.
  #67  
Old 11-15-2019, 10:41 AM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 59,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24KARAT View Post
My 2 cents?
Not that it'll change anybody or any laws.
.
Me? I'd go with the Get Real. 1) A gun has never ever jumped up & shot anyone. It's a tool -period. Constitutional law has designed it for to keep our goverrnment in-check. And to keep foreign invading governments out. Look @ Switzerland's history; every man & household is legally required to have & to know how to respect / use a gun. 2) Parents are legally responsible for their children. Until a "child" is of an age of accountability, it's on the parents. {It's the way it was yet is no longer} 3) Morals within society today make death of no big deal. Movies, video games, the removal of life from an infant / abortion, etc. 4) Meds / Narcotics that twist & distort the brain / biochemistry into a passive yet deceptive state. Maybe even never to return & develop into "normal". Put a developing brain, a child on such & yea, big oooops! Why it's called "practicing" medicine? Because nobody really knows what they are doing? Check out the now historical facts of such shootings & the meds, there there. Perhaps whom ever writes out the perscriptions (usually shrinks) can be held more accountable? Lawsuit? Loss of "license" to "practice". Firing squad?
.
People seem to only talk of the dead. & yes, to die before living life is sad. WAY sad. Especially when taken by force.
As for the wounded, my heart goes out. A bullet ripping through any tissue is never 100% repairable. Like a wrecked car -never the same.

Try spending the whole nickel next time.
__________________
Don't worry about the end of Inception. We have top men working on it right now. Top. Men.
  #68  
Old 11-15-2019, 10:47 AM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 11,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
One thing I have to point out. The USA is a very big country. Comparing it to New Zeland or a European country is just wrong.
What does that have to do with reasonable gun regulation? Comparing the US to New Zealand, Canada, Australia, or a European country is just fine. Those are the comparisons that gun nuts don't like to make because of how stark the differences are in gun regulation and gun homicides.
  #69  
Old 11-15-2019, 11:15 AM
shunpiker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Central North Carolina
Posts: 1,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
Think of the US as a creature. Examine statistics of this creature's behaviors - its deeds, not its words. This creature is addicted to violence, especially via firearms. By objective measures, this creature hates facts, children, women, queers, non-whites, non-elites, and non-believers. This creature kills what it hates. Are we surprised?
One only needs to watch the post-9pm (eastern time zone) prime-time media to drive this point home. Heck, look at all the fan wank in our own “Café Society” forum. We fucking love to see violence and disrespect represented in our media. “Come-on… It’s all harmless if it’s done for a laugh or a thrill; it’s only make-believe”. And yes, it IS only make-believe… sorta. Note that most of us can keep reality and fantasy separate. However, those of lesser-brain (or stressful circumstance) are going to let these visions/situations/thoughts/actions permeate into their psyche.

Until we all start to demand some level of wholesomeness, fairness, compassion and accountability to be represented at the lowest bar of our media, not much is going to change.

Last edited by shunpiker; 11-15-2019 at 11:16 AM.
  #70  
Old 11-15-2019, 11:47 AM
RTFirefly is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 40,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
As long as it's happening in middle- or upper-class areas and mostly to white or Asian kids, it's news. Otherwise - does anyone remember THIS mass shooting, which included casualties at school?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Lake_shootings
What's your point? I can't keep track of all the recent shootings that had that many deaths, let alone one from 15 years ago.
  #71  
Old 11-15-2019, 11:57 AM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is online now
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 63,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
What does that have to do with reasonable gun regulation? Comparing the US to New Zealand, Canada, Australia, or a European country is just fine. Those are the comparisons that gun nuts don't like to make because of how stark the differences are in gun regulation and gun homicides.
Remember-You can't compare the USA to any other country...unless that country is Switzerland, then any half-assed and ill-informed comparison is welcomed with open arms.
  #72  
Old 11-15-2019, 12:24 PM
RTFirefly is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 40,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Remember-You can't compare the USA to any other country...unless that country is Switzerland, then any half-assed and ill-informed comparison is welcomed with open arms.
IIRC, Switzerland was the basis of the "an armed society is a polite society" bullshit.

Which explains why our ghettos during the crack-epidemic years were the most polite places on the face of the earth.
  #73  
Old 11-15-2019, 01:01 PM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 19,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
IIRC, Switzerland was the basis of the "an armed society is a polite society" bullshit.
Go ahead and drop some litter on a Swiss street. I dare you.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #74  
Old 11-15-2019, 01:18 PM
Novelty Bobble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: South East England
Posts: 9,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Remember-You can't compare the USA to any other country...unless that country is Switzerland, then any half-assed and ill-informed comparison is welcomed with open arms.
Biut it doesn't work, Switzerland has comparitively high gun ownership and comparitively high gun deaths.
__________________
I'm saving this space for the first good insult hurled my way
  #75  
Old 11-15-2019, 01:31 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunpiker View Post
One only needs to watch the post-9pm (eastern time zone) prime-time media to drive this point home. Heck, look at all the fan wank in our own “Café Society” forum. We fucking love to see violence and disrespect represented in our media. “Come-on… It’s all harmless if it’s done for a laugh or a thrill; it’s only make-believe”. And yes, it IS only make-believe… sorta. Note that most of us can keep reality and fantasy separate. However, those of lesser-brain (or stressful circumstance) are going to let these visions/situations/thoughts/actions permeate into their psyche.

Until we all start to demand some level of wholesomeness, fairness, compassion and accountability to be represented at the lowest bar of our media, not much is going to change.
The United States are absolute prudes when it comes to what we watch on TV, in regards to sexuality and profanity. Much more restrictive than most of the rest of the developed world. But we aren’t nearly as strict about violence. Here’s a brief (probably not unbiased) comparison:

http://www.medialit.org/reading-room...-about-ratings
I’m unconvinced about the importance of fantasy violence though. There are occasional moral panics about video game violence leading to real violence and there seems no real correlation. I have trouble believing that television (which is less immersive) is going to have any greater of an effect.

I think that it’s not the glorification of fictional violence but a glorification of real violence that’s dangerous. Even when incidents become famous through condemnation I believe that they encourage further acts. Because:

1) It puts the idea into a person’s mind in the first place.

2) It lets them know that the violence wasn’t prevented, which gives them confidence that they can do it.

3) They believe they can be famous and/or their act will have an impact, make a statement, cause widespread anguish against those they feel wronged them, etc.

I don’t think cop shows and dramas about shooting aliens are a danger, but news stories spreading information about violence are.
  #76  
Old 11-15-2019, 01:57 PM
Troy McClure is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
Even more amazing though is the fact that for every 1 registered weapon there are about 400 unregistered weapons. To get any comparable figures of lax control you'd have to go to places such as Sudan, Niger, DRC, Ivory Coast, Mozambique.
I don't think that stat actually tells you anything useful. The US doesn't require or maintain a registry of most types of firearms. Only fully automatic weapons, short barrelled rifles and shotguns, and other "destructive devices" have to be registered. I'm guessing most of the other countries on that list have a different standard.

I'm actually a little more surprised that there are over a million weapons registered in the US. Not many people want to jump through all the hoops and expense to get a machine gun. Maybe that number also includes suppressors.
  #77  
Old 11-15-2019, 03:02 PM
Rushgeekgirl is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Memphis
Posts: 6,101
I want to write out what my family is dealing with right now at my son's school. I know it's long and probably boring but I have to write it all out.

My son is autistic. He's a bit socially delayed. When he was six he was brutally raped. He went through trauma therapy. They pronounced him cured about a year later and despite some anxiety everything was okay.

In seventh grade another student sexually assaulted him in the bathroom at school, only he wasn't clued in on sex enough to know that it was a sexual assault. The other student grabbed him between the legs and wouldn't stop or let him go. My son didn't understand what was happening. He just thought the boy was being mean. He didn't tell anyone because my son is very shy and passive and thought he might get in trouble for tattling. That's how it works ya know? You tell on someone and you get called a tattle tale.

So my son never told me about this and I guess maybe didn't put much thought in to it because the boy left the school a few weeks after it happened. It was just another bad memory for my son.

Only about a month ago this kid shows up at my son's new school. And my son now understands what happened to him and it all came back to him in a flood of terror. He had a panic attack that day. He told his teacher exactly what happened. I wasn't even called. My son came home that day and broke down again, telling me what happened. My first instinct was to contact the teacher and ask what could be done. This is an elective class, choir. It's my son's most favorite class. There is only one choir class. She said "if I didn't see it happen nothing can be done about it".

So I wrote to the guidance counselor and asked my son to also go to the guidance counselor. Again I was told "if we didn't see it happen nothing can be done". Meanwhile the kid is laughing and telling other students about how he's sexually assaulted several of the students. My son found out another girl in class was also a victim. He then found out another friend not in the class was also sexually assaulted by him. I finally reached a point where I insisted something MUST be done. And their solution was to offer to let my son finish the school year in art class instead.

To me this is unacceptable. I am not forcing my kid to leave a class he loves when he's the victim here. They agree to make the other student sign a "no contact contract" where he is not allowed to talk to my son. But he still looks at him, LEERS at him. One day my son couldn't take it and told his friend in the class he was going to have to leave. She BEGGED him to stay because she said "you're my only buffer!" She told her parents. Their solution was "ignore him and he'll stop". He'll stop grabbing her between the legs and joking about it with the other boys. That's their solution. "Boys will be boys" after all.

About a week ago my son went to a birthday party with an old friend he went to school with back when all this happened. He hasn't had much contact so he didn't know this, but this friend's parents had to take a restraining order against this student after he not only sexually assaulted her, but sent her threatening messages saying he was going to kill her and himself. And that's why he came to my son's new school, because he was kicked out of the old one.

But my son's counselor, teacher, and principal all say there's nothing they can do about him. I'm thinking they just don't give a shit. They MUST not give a shit. So Monday I have an appointment with the district administration, not sure who I'll be speaking with, but something is going to HAPPEN. I don't know if I'll end up taking my son out of school. It's the only school in the district so I'll have to homeschool. I can't move. I won't stop until something is done to keep my son safe though. And I mean that's my top concern but what about those other kids who are left behind at the school still getting assaulted and harassed while the adults refuse to listen to their complaints?

This is the kind of thing I think leads to school violence. The adults are not listening to the kids. They're chalking it up to "teen angst". They're not listening. I'm going to listen to my son but what about the other kids? What if this boy decides to act on the violent threats he's made? What if one of the victims can't take the pain anymore?
  #78  
Old 11-15-2019, 03:14 PM
Novelty Bobble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: South East England
Posts: 9,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
I don't think that stat actually tells you anything useful.
There's pretty much no regulation of weapons, is that not a useful indicator of a country's attitude to guns?
__________________
I'm saving this space for the first good insult hurled my way

Last edited by Novelty Bobble; 11-15-2019 at 03:14 PM.
  #79  
Old 11-15-2019, 03:15 PM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 19,545
That's heartbreaking, Rushgeekgirl. I hope you and your son are able to find the best of all possible resolutions.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.

Last edited by QuickSilver; 11-15-2019 at 03:16 PM.
  #80  
Old 11-15-2019, 03:18 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is online now
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 63,123
It is way past time for them to give a shit about your son's situation, Rushgeekgirl. Bring a large envelope with all the documentation you've got to date and(if there is any room left) stuff it full with other paper. On a separate sheet of paper write down the names, phone numbers and email addresses of every television station, radio station and newspaper you can find. Tell them that they can either do something about this situation, or the next time the problem child acts out you will release a copy of your documents to every name on that list, and that you will do the same if they try to retaliate against you and/or your child.

Last edited by Czarcasm; 11-15-2019 at 03:19 PM.
  #81  
Old 11-15-2019, 03:20 PM
24KARAT is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
I see. So if I may summarize, gun violence is caused by abortions and prescription drugs. It's not caused by guns, which everyone must have in order to overthrow governments they don't like and keep out invading foreign governments. And psychiatrists should be shot.

It's always good to have some random illiterate join just in time to set us straight on these matters.
.
.
Wolfpup -Yea, something like that. But don't distort it too much.
  #82  
Old 11-15-2019, 03:21 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushgeekgirl View Post
This is the kind of thing I think leads to school violence. The adults are not listening to the kids. They're chalking it up to "teen angst". They're not listening. I'm going to listen to my son but what about the other kids? What if this boy decides to act on the violent threats he's made? What if one of the victims can't take the pain anymore?
There was at least one study that concluded there was a solid link between bullying and violent tendencies. (Insert the “duh” here.)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...051501103.html
Notably the Columbine terrorists were previously bullied and the practice was “rampant” at the school.
  #83  
Old 11-15-2019, 03:25 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24KARAT View Post
My 2 cents?
Not that it'll change anybody or any laws.
.
Me? I'd go with the Get Real. 1) A gun has never ever jumped up & shot anyone. It's a tool -period. Constitutional law has designed it for to keep our goverrnment in-check. And to keep foreign invading governments out. Look @ Switzerland's history; every man & household is legally required to have & to know how to respect / use a gun. 2) Parents are legally responsible for their children. Until a "child" is of an age of accountability, it's on the parents. {It's the way it was yet is no longer} 3) Morals within society today make death of no big deal. Movies, video games, the removal of life from an infant / abortion, etc. 4) Meds / Narcotics that twist & distort the brain / biochemistry into a passive yet deceptive state. Maybe even never to return & develop into "normal". Put a developing brain, a child on such & yea, big oooops! Why it's called "practicing" medicine? Because nobody really knows what they are doing? Check out the now historical facts of such shootings & the meds, there there. Perhaps whom ever writes out the perscriptions (usually shrinks) can be held more accountable? Lawsuit? Loss of "license" to "practice". Firing squad?
.
People seem to only talk of the dead. & yes, to die before living life is sad. WAY sad. Especially when taken by force.
As for the wounded, my heart goes out. A bullet ripping through any tissue is never 100% repairable. Like a wrecked car -never the same.
If I'm ever drunk and post something like this, can someone please PM me and let me know?
  #84  
Old 11-15-2019, 03:43 PM
24KARAT is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 10

! ! ! ! !


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushgeekgirl View Post
I want to write out what my family is dealing with right now at my son's school. I know it's long and probably boring but I have to write it all out.

My son is autistic. He's a bit socially delayed. When he was six he was brutally raped. He went through trauma therapy. They pronounced him cured about a year later and despite some anxiety everything was okay.

In seventh grade another student sexually assaulted him in the bathroom at school, only he wasn't clued in on sex enough to know that it was a sexual assault. The other student grabbed him between the legs and wouldn't stop or let him go. My son didn't understand what was happening. He just thought the boy was being mean. He didn't tell anyone because my son is very shy and passive and thought he might get in trouble for tattling. That's how it works ya know? You tell on someone and you get called a tattle tale.

So my son never told me about this and I guess maybe didn't put much thought in to it because the boy left the school a few weeks after it happened. It was just another bad memory for my son.

Only about a month ago this kid shows up at my son's new school. And my son now understands what happened to him and it all came back to him in a flood of terror. He had a panic attack that day. He told his teacher exactly what happened. I wasn't even called. My son came home that day and broke down again, telling me what happened. My first instinct was to contact the teacher and ask what could be done. This is an elective class, choir. It's my son's most favorite class. There is only one choir class. She said "if I didn't see it happen nothing can be done about it".

So I wrote to the guidance counselor and asked my son to also go to the guidance counselor. Again I was told "if we didn't see it happen nothing can be done". Meanwhile the kid is laughing and telling other students about how he's sexually assaulted several of the students. My son found out another girl in class was also a victim. He then found out another friend not in the class was also sexually assaulted by him. I finally reached a point where I insisted something MUST be done. And their solution was to offer to let my son finish the school year in art class instead.

To me this is unacceptable. I am not forcing my kid to leave a class he loves when he's the victim here. They agree to make the other student sign a "no contact contract" where he is not allowed to talk to my son. But he still looks at him, LEERS at him. One day my son couldn't take it and told his friend in the class he was going to have to leave. She BEGGED him to stay because she said "you're my only buffer!" She told her parents. Their solution was "ignore him and he'll stop". He'll stop grabbing her between the legs and joking about it with the other boys. That's their solution. "Boys will be boys" after all.

About a week ago my son went to a birthday party with an old friend he went to school with back when all this happened. He hasn't had much contact so he didn't know this, but this friend's parents had to take a restraining order against this student after he not only sexually assaulted her, but sent her threatening messages saying he was going to kill her and himself. And that's why he came to my son's new school, because he was kicked out of the old one.

But my son's counselor, teacher, and principal all say there's nothing they can do about him. I'm thinking they just don't give a shit. They MUST not give a shit. So Monday I have an appointment with the district administration, not sure who I'll be speaking with, but something is going to HAPPEN. I don't know if I'll end up taking my son out of school. It's the only school in the district so I'll have to homeschool. I can't move. I won't stop until something is done to keep my son safe though. And I mean that's my top concern but what about those other kids who are left behind at the school still getting assaulted and harassed while the adults refuse to listen to their complaints?

This is the kind of thing I think leads to school violence. The adults are not listening to the kids. They're chalking it up to "teen angst". They're not listening. I'm going to listen to my son but what about the other kids? What if this boy decides to act on the violent threats he's made? What if one of the victims can't take the pain anymore?
.
.
Rushgeekgirl -I read it. Every word. The American society today is sick. And said sickness has been propagating its' self for decades now. As a nation, we're generationally programed & acceptably walking & talking perverts. So what's the answer? The fall of the nation {history proves such} or an act of God.
Personally? -I do not know where your beliefs are nor what is available to you. So instead of revealing my days-gone-by whereby I've gone & been face-to-face within similar situations so to rectify em, I'd find a great lawyer & give him a large piece of the action be it he takes down all those involved against you & your son. No up-front fee. Just a piece of the action. Set precedent & make your attorney famous. And best do it before the perverts take Federal office again.
  #85  
Old 11-15-2019, 03:51 PM
24KARAT is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
If I'm ever drunk and post something like this, can someone please PM me and let me know?
.
.
manson1972 -Charlie, didn't mean to confuse you. Yet glad to stir you up. You gotta read it slow. Common Sense tells to look into it before exposing one's self, drunk or not.
  #86  
Old 11-15-2019, 03:52 PM
Kimstu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 23,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24KARAT View Post
.And best do it before the perverts take Federal office again.
You haven't been paying attention. The sexual-assault-encouraging perverts are the ones IN federal office right now. From the groping/raping pussy-grabbing Chief Executive to the myriad Republican sexual harrassment scandals and cover-ups in his swamp of staff picks, this is far and away the most shamelessly corrupt and exploitative Administration the US has had since at least the start of the 20th century.

If Rushgeekgirl is relying on a more decent and moral attitude towards sexual assault on the part of the federal government to help her resolve her son's school situation (a strategy I personally wouldn't recommend), then she'd better pray for a Democratic victory ASAP.

Last edited by Kimstu; 11-15-2019 at 03:53 PM.
  #87  
Old 11-15-2019, 03:52 PM
nearwildheaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 13,155
Rushgeekgirl, is this serial sexual assailant a talented athlete, or related to one or is from a prominent and/or wealthy family? I can't think of any other reason why he would keep getting away with this.

If someone ever DOES take a gun to school, or somewhere else, and shoot him, everyone will say the kid totally had it coming.
  #88  
Old 11-15-2019, 03:57 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24KARAT View Post
.
.
manson1972 -Charlie, didn't mean to confuse you. Yet glad to stir you up. You gotta read it slow. Common Sense tells to look into it before exposing one's self, drunk or not.
Wrong Manson. Avatar should have given it away.
  #89  
Old 11-15-2019, 03:59 PM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 19,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24KARAT View Post
.
.
Rushgeekgirl -I read it. Every word. The American society today is sick. And said sickness has been propagating its' self for decades now. As a nation, we're generationally programed & acceptably walking & talking perverts. So what's the answer? The fall of the nation {history proves such} or an act of God.
Personally? -I do not know where your beliefs are nor what is available to you. So instead of revealing my days-gone-by whereby I've gone & been face-to-face within similar situations so to rectify em, I'd find a great lawyer & give him a large piece of the action be it he takes down all those involved against you & your son. No up-front fee. Just a piece of the action. Set precedent & make your attorney famous. And best do it before the perverts take Federal office again.
Illiterate, ignorant and angry may be a way of life for you, but not the ideal position from which to post. Consider removing your head from your ass the next time you try to "help". Idiot.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #90  
Old 11-15-2019, 04:03 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is online now
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 63,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Rushgeekgirl, is this serial sexual assailant a talented athlete, or related to one or is from a prominent and/or wealthy family? I can't think of any other reason why he would keep getting away with this.

If someone ever DOES take a gun to school, or somewhere else, and shoot him, everyone will say the kid totally had it coming.
No, they won't, and that is a dangerously stupid idea to push.
  #91  
Old 11-15-2019, 04:06 PM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 19,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24KARAT View Post
Common Sense tells to look into it before exposing one's self, drunk or not.
It sounds like you learned this lesson the hard way. Just remember, stay 500 feet from schools and you have to let the police know if you'll be travelling for more than 24 hours.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #92  
Old 11-15-2019, 06:16 PM
nearwildheaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 13,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
No, they won't, and that is a dangerously stupid idea to push.
Don't be so sure. I do hope it doesn't come to that, because vigilante justice isn't the right thing to do either.
  #93  
Old 11-15-2019, 07:37 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Illiterate, ignorant and angry may be a way of life for you, but not the ideal position from which to post. Consider removing your head from your ass the next time you try to "help". Idiot.
I just read 24KARAT’s posts in the voice of Waylon Jennings, as the narrator of the Dukes of Hazzard. Much more readable that way.

(They don’t get better, just more readable.)
  #94  
Old 11-15-2019, 08:11 PM
nearwildheaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 13,155
The shooter died this afternoon.

https://fox61.com/2019/11/15/souther...-shooter-dies/

The London Daily Mail, which is little better than the National Enquirer, said that he was dealing with the recent death of his father, from alcoholism. It wouldn't surprise me if that was true.
  #95  
Old 11-15-2019, 10:01 PM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 23,644
Recent? Thought the dad died two years ago.
  #96  
Old 11-15-2019, 10:04 PM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 23,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I just read 24KARAT’s posts in the voice of Waylon Jennings, as the narrator of the Dukes of Hazzard. Much more readable that way.

(They don’t get better, just more readable.)

I'm reading it and hearing Kukla's voice.
  #97  
Old 11-15-2019, 11:51 PM
RioRico is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: beyond cell service
Posts: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
What the fuck are you even talking about? You sound like a Google Translate result gone wrong.
It's a parallel, a comparison. I said US society is a sick beast. Someone replied that not everyone in the US is so awful. I pointed out that, like my human persona is more than the sum of my cells, so the national persona is more than the sum of its residents. Think of mob dynamics.

I'll say again: Our nation's actions show an addiction to violence and hatred of children, women, queers, non-whites, non-elites, non-believers, and facts. Not necessarily in that order.

Maybe Churchill's observation holds: "You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else." What hasn't been tried yet?
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017