Old 11-16-2019, 10:55 PM

2019 Louisiana Governor Race

Kind of a nailbiter. John Bel Edwards, nominally a Democrat and the sitting governor, is running for reelection against a Republican, Eddie Rispone.

Edwards is pro-gun and anti-abortion, which is unusual for a Dem. His only virtue is that he's not surrounded by the Bright Red Taint.

Currently, the two are neck-and-neck. 93% reporting, and Edwards enjoys less than a 1% lead over the challenger.

A million and a half votes cast, and fewer than 9000 votes separate them.

New York Times

ETA: No sooner than I posted, it was called for Edwards. 50.7% to 49.3%.

Last edited by GreysonCarlisle; 11-16-2019 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:58 PM

Yes, flipping back and forth between these results and college football.

Last edited by susan; 11-16-2019 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:09 PM

nm

Last edited by susan; 11-16-2019 at 11:10 PM.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:16 PM

Vox appears to call for Edwards.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:19 PM

51.1 to 48.9 now, according to NYT.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:29 PM

Ja, 40K votes.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:30 PM

One thing I miss about Louisiana: Saturday night election returns.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:32 PM

Lesson to all progressives: let democrats define for themselves who they are, according to their circumstances and don't hold up a litmus paper.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Lesson to all progressives: let democrats define for themselves who they are, according to their circumstances and don't hold up a litmus paper.
Keep dreaming.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Trump wanted Edwards gone (or wanted him out of the way so that a high-level donor could be installed), so that's good enough for me.

Still, there was the heartbeat abortion bill with no exceptions for rape or incest that he signed.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreysonCarlisle View Post
Trump wanted Edwards gone (or wanted him out of the way so that a high-level donor could be installed), so that's good enough for me.
Edwards, Edwards, Edwards, starts with "E"!
Old 11-17-2019, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Democrats have never used "litmus tests", and are already the only party in the country that welcomes pro-life politicians.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

The best part is that it is another example that having Trump stump for you is not a guarantee win. There were local issues here and in KY, but still anything that lessens his positive impact is a good thing IMHO.

Brian
Old 11-17-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Democrats have never used "litmus tests", and are already the only party in the country that welcomes pro-life politicians.
And now we know who hasn't been paying attention to politics over the last 10 years or so.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Right on time, the ‘true progressives’ are bitching. It would have been far better to nominate a Sanders clone and to lose in a landslide but stay true to their values. These people seriously need to spend a few days out of their blue bubbles.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Right on time, the ‘true progressives’ are bitching. It would have been far better to nominate a Sanders clone and to lose in a landslide but stay true to their values. These people seriously need to spend a few days out of their blue bubbles.
Exactly!!
Old 11-17-2019, 12:37 PM

except in rare cases a true liberal cannot win a statewide race in the south. They can win for congress in districts that are very urban.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Can you direct me to where this bitching is happening? I've looked at several news sites and I haven't found any of this yet. I did look at Faux and the Trumpeters are saying Edwards is a DINO so it means nothing but I expected that. Their tiny brains can't deal with something like this happening.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:22 PM

nm

Last edited by pjacks; 11-17-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I have to assume you meant both pro-life and pro-choice politicians.

Another victory for my tribe.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:05 PM

GOP rationale for Rispone loss: "He was, uh, down by 27 points so actually Trump did amazing!"
From The Hill:
Quote:
“What he said was he'd be made to look bad whether he came in the state or not. Eddie Rispone made up about a 22-point disadvantage over the last month because of President Trump's involvement. So Eddie Rispone was at about 27 in the primary. He ended up at 49,” Scalise told Fox News’s Chris Wallace on “Fox News Sunday.”
Far be it from me to imply that Scalise is being intentionally disingenious or misleading so I guess Scalise is just woefully ignorant of how the jungle primary works?
Old 11-17-2019, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I have to assume you meant both pro-life and pro-choice politicians.
I wouldn't assume that. In a previous thread I (as a Trump-hating, pro-life conservative) was discussing my dilemma on who to vote for. I was trying to have an honest discussion and Chronos said something along the lines that the Democrats were the true pro-life party and that if I wanted to honor my convictions, I would vote Democrat.

That's pretty insulting, so I disengaged from that discussion. It would be like if a person who was very concerned about environmental protection entered into a discussion and I told her that if she was truly concerned about the environment she should vote for Republicans because they were the real supporters of environmental protection. That would be disingenuous at best.

Also, I do see Democrats using pro-choice as a litmus test. Everywhere? Of course not (see this Louisiana situation for example). But I see a LOT of shouting from Democrats across the board if a candidate is not sufficiently pro-choice. Backing the Hyde amendment, for example.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

I never said that all Democrats were pro-life: Obviously, they are not. I said that all pro-life politicians were Democrats. And I stand by that statement. In 2009, the Senate had a choice between voting against abortion, or voting to tell Obama "screw you". And the Senate republicans unanimously, 40 out of 40, chose the latter.

Any party that unanimously decides that insulting the other party is more important than opposing abortion cannot in any meaningful sense be said to oppose abortion.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
GOP rationale for Rispone loss: "He was, uh, down by 27 points so actually Trump did amazing!"
I suspect non-idiotic GOP pols fearfully reading numbers will be reluctant to have this POTUS campaign for them, even after he resigns for health reasons and moves to Riyadh.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
I wouldn't assume that. In a previous thread I (as a Trump-hating, pro-life conservative) was discussing my dilemma on who to vote for. I was trying to have an honest discussion and Chronos said something along the lines that the Democrats were the true pro-life party and that if I wanted to honor my convictions, I would vote Democrat.

That's pretty insulting, so I disengaged from that discussion. It would be like if a person who was very concerned about environmental protection entered into a discussion and I told her that if she was truly concerned about the environment she should vote for Republicans because they were the real supporters of environmental protection. That would be disingenuous at best.

Also, I do see Democrats using pro-choice as a litmus test. Everywhere? Of course not (see this Louisiana situation for example). But I see a LOT of shouting from Democrats across the board if a candidate is not sufficiently pro-choice. Backing the Hyde amendment, for example.
Democrats are the pro life party because they support policies that lead to less abortion, there is nothing insulting about that.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak of Twilo View Post
Can you direct me to where this bitching is happening? I've looked at several news sites and I haven't found any of this yet. I did look at Faux and the Trumpeters are saying Edwards is a DINO so it means nothing but I expected that. Their tiny brains can't deal with something like this happening.

https://twitter.com/aj_kendrick/stat...571891712?s=21

A couple of quick ones on Twitter.

Last edited by dalej42; 11-17-2019 at 09:20 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:25 AM

A random Twitter account followed by one twentieth the number of people as the visitors bureau in Minot, North Dakota?

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 11-18-2019 at 02:25 AM.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:06 AM

so a conservative state elected a conservative democrat Louisiana is still 70 percent catholic so of course, the abortion thing is gonna be big news and Only thing that makes this real news is trump is involved

Last edited by nightshadea; 11-18-2019 at 04:07 AM.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You paint with one hell of a broad brush there, friend.

As a general rule, progressives would like to see as candidates the most progressive politician who can consistently win in that district/state/whatever. That's what Markos Moulitsas would have told you in 2005, and would tell you now. Rumor has it he's got pretty good progressive cred.

In Louisiana, John Bel Edwards is that politician. I'm certainly well to his left, but I'm quite happy with his victory, and wouldn't have wanted a different Dem candidate.

But then you get to, say, a D+6 district like IL-03 which is represented by barely-a-Democrat Dan Lipinski. If he was representing an R+6 district, I'd say what the hell, he's about as good as we can win this district with, and far better than the Republican who'd be his likely replacement if we ran a bona fide progressive. But we can win IL-03 with a more progressive candidate like Marie Newman who can hopefully beat Lipinski in the primary.