Old 11-18-2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post
I did answer the question. Apparently you don't get it.

Your Q: Why do you think so many millions of people, many of whom are incredibly smart and accomplished in their own right, seem to lack such basic life tools?

My A: They lack self-control when it comes to the internet.
*Sigh*

No, *you* don't seem to get it. You originally answered a question intended for another poster. That question was, "if it is so easy and obvious of an answer to you as to how to avoid personal internet issues, then why are so many millions of people having so many problems?"

To which you stepped in and answered for her with "they lack self control".

Ok, and well and good. I then asked you a follow up, "Why do you think so many millions of people, many of whom are incredibly smart and accomplished in their own right, seem to lack such basic life tools?"

To which you replied, "because they lack self control".

I'll ask you again, are you stuck on repeat? Yes, you believe people develop online problems because they lack self control. Good. Got it. Did you forget to keep reading when i then asked why it might be that so many people, many of whom are quite successful, lack these basic life tools like self-control, self-awareness?
Old 11-18-2019, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
His comments would make a lot more sense if the conservatives on this board weren't so loudly bothered by other posters that they scream about bias, flounce regularly, and complain every single time they get reined in.

It's purely Trumpian in their projection: they reflexively accuse their enemies of the crimes they themselves are committing to try to deflect their guilt and persuade the gullible and those not paying attention.

The job of the rest of us is to never not pay attention. That's one major reason why merely ignoring them is the worst possible response.
Thanks. That last paragraph is especially great.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
*Sigh*

You originally answered a question intended for another poster.
*Sigh*

You don't get to dictate who replies to which threads on this message board.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post
*Sigh*

You don't get to dictate who replies to which threads on this message board.
I know you are but what am I!
Old 11-18-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
This is both the only thing non-mods can do AND the most effective thing.

No one can compel anyone to respond. Period.

Ignore these people and they will go away.
People have been saying that since the early 1990s, and yet trolls still haven't gone away. At some point, you have acknowledge that this maxim is not actually valid.

Yes, in theory it should work. Trolls are out for attention, and ignoring them should make them leave. But, in practice, people don't agree on who is trolling. Or they think that there is something that needs a response.

The whole point of trolling is that they are attempting to trick you into getting upset. Expecting absolutely everyone to not ever fall for these tricks is foolish. And that's what it takes for it to work--if a troll gets one person to respond, that's enough to keep them around.

An analogy might be abstinence-only education. . It's something that, in theory should work, but all it takes is one mistake for it to fail. And, so, in practice, you actually wind up the same or worse than you started.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
People have been saying that since the early 1990s, and yet trolls still haven't gone away. At some point, you have acknowledge that this maxim is not actually valid.

Yes, in theory it should work. Trolls are out for attention, and ignoring them should make them leave. But, in practice, people don't agree on who is trolling. Or they think that there is something that needs a response.

The whole point of trolling is that they are attempting to trick you into getting upset. Expecting absolutely everyone to not ever fall for these tricks is foolish. And that's what it takes for it to work--if a troll gets one person to respond, that's enough to keep them around.

An analogy might be abstinence-only education. . It's something that, in theory should work, but all it takes is one mistake for it to fail. And, so, in practice, you actually wind up the same or worse than you started.
Twice in the same thread, I agree.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliebly View Post
And yet you cared enough about your own highly amused state to go to the trouble of telling us all about it. If you truly don't care, why post in this thread at all? It's just an anonymous message board, after all.
As I've said many times before, it's out of boredom. I didn't have anything else to do.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
As I've said many times before, it's out of boredom. I didn't have anything else to do.
Of course you did. You could have made paper clips into a necklace or perfected the art of doodling. I suspect if nobody ever responded to your posts (and I'm not suggesting they shouldn't), you'd be a little let down. But maybe I'm wrong and you're merely posting to see yourself post because somehow that's more interesting than anything else you could be doing. If so, I guess people will interpret them as such and won't feel the need to respond.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Of course you did. You could have made paper clips into a necklace or perfected the art of doodling. I suspect if nobody ever responded to your posts (and I'm not suggesting they shouldn't), you'd be a little let down. But maybe I'm wrong and you're merely posting to see yourself post because somehow that's more interesting than anything else you could be doing. If so, I guess people will interpret them as such and won't feel the need to respond.
I didn't have any paper clips available. And believe it or not, doodling is more boring than reading the 15th thread about HD
Old 11-18-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post

You know that with a mouse wheel itís trivial to scroll past the 3-4 posts you donít want to respond to or read and engage with the post youíd like to? You know thatís an option available to everybody? At least in PC land.

The real issue is that people get upset that there isnít unanimity of thought. Thatís an intrinsic problem and shouldnít be the concern of the board. When and where I grew up we were taught that different people have different opinions and that thatís ok.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
You know that with a mouse wheel itís trivial to scroll past the 3-4 posts you donít want to respond to or read and engage with the post youíd like to? You know thatís an option available to everybody? At least in PC land.

The real issue is that people get upset that there isnít unanimity of thought. Thatís an intrinsic problem and shouldnít be the concern of the board. When and where I grew up we were taught that different people have different opinions and that thatís ok.
There are plenty of posters who usually disagree with most other Dopers but aren't constantly Pitted (or have multiple ATMB threads about them). Your continual assertions that many or most Dopers insist on "unanimity of thought" is contradicted by the actual posting on the board.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Nope.

But I do see a tendency on the part of some Dopers to be tone-deaf re: how opinions are expressed. I get it that the SDMB should thrive on free and open discussion, which requires two sides (at least). That doesn't mean there are no boundaries. Surely nobody sees "the only good _______ are dead ________" as the level of debate we want here. Characterizing an objection to that phrasing as simply unaccepting of differing opinions would be foolish.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Your continual assertions that many or most Dopers insist on "unanimity of thought" is contradicted by the actual posting on the board.
Buzzing must be more fun than acknowledging the fact that the problem isn't differing opinions but rather how those opinions are presented.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Nope.

But I do see a tendency on the part of some Dopers to be tone-deaf re: how opinions are expressed. I get it that the SDMB should thrive on free and open discussion, which requires two sides (at least). That doesn't mean there are no boundaries. Surely nobody sees "the only good _______ are dead ________" as the level of debate we want here. Characterizing an objection to that phrasing as simply unaccepting of differing opinions would be foolish.
The discourse is more at the level of "all _____ are stupid and evil."
Old 11-18-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
That's ridiculous and the furthest thing from the reality. Unanimity of thought would be boring. After two or three posts what more is there to say?

The problem is the various techniques of dishonest posting intended only to inflame and disrupt. A number of current and former posters have engaged in the practice ceaselessly.