Old 11-21-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Learned something new. Thank you.
Hopefully you didn't learn that the meaning has anything to do with her username, because as the rest of my post says, it doesn't.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
Hopefully you didn't learn that the meaning has anything to do with her username, because as the rest of my post says, it doesn't.
I know. I grew up in the same area and time as she did. She couldnt be less hippy.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:20 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
Aha! "Wook" is slang for a hippie without ambition, and I figured Panub must be some little town in India or somewhere. I assumed she was a world traveler chillin' in India at some point of her life. Your comment led me to the actual source, and now I have to recalibrate my mental picture of her.
I've always read it as "wookies in a pub" and probably always will.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:41 PM

Before this thread goes stale, for what it's worth, I will register my agreement that a warning here was unwarranted. Given the nature of the thread, the comment should have gone unmoderated altogether.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

I do take issue with the accusation that the thread got so far off the rails in the first place due to "lax moderation". It simply isn't possible for any one person to follow all of the threads in a forum, and I'm the only moderator in Cafe Society (and the only active moderator in the Game Room, and one of the moderators in General Questions). If I am following a thread and happen to see something problematic, I'll act on it, but that doesn't always happen. Usually, the first we moderators know of a problem is when we get a report. As soon as I saw the report, I saw that there was indeed a problem, and that it couldn't be solved in a few minutes before I went to bed, so I took action to keep the problem from getting any worse. Given that I happened not to be following that thread, and given that it took so long before anyone who was following it reported anything, there was no way that I could have been less lax in my moderation.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I do take issue with the accusation that the thread got so far off the rails in the first place due to "lax moderation". It simply isn't possible for any one person to follow all of the threads in a forum, and I'm the only moderator in Cafe Society (and the only active moderator in the Game Room, and one of the moderators in General Questions). If I am following a thread and happen to see something problematic, I'll act on it, but that doesn't always happen. Usually, the first we moderators know of a problem is when we get a report. As soon as I saw the report, I saw that there was indeed a problem, and that it couldn't be solved in a few minutes before I went to bed, so I took action to keep the problem from getting any worse. Given that I happened not to be following that thread, and given that it took so long before anyone who was following it reported anything, there was no way that I could have been less lax in my moderation.
I started the thread and I certainly never accused you of lax moderation or anything else. I rarely if ever complain about moderation. I started this thread because I thought it was really unfair on WOOKINPANUB. I consider you to be a thoughtful person and a good Mod so I was hoping you might rethink it. Also, a very strong cross-section of the community has almost unanimously agreed that the warning was harsh. I know that this thread is a bit caught in the middle of other controversial threads. Whatever is decided, thank you for taking the time to consider my request.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:52 PM

Yeah, Chronos, I didn't mean to sound like such a bitch. Sorry about that. I know mods are over-worked and can't be anywhere at once. I do hope you'll look at this again, however. Wookinpanub is a kind person and I'm 99.99% sure she didn't intend for her post to sound like you took it.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
I will grant that, as personal insults go, it was a very mild one. But it was also very clearly an attack on the poster, and not on the post, and so it was a personal insult, and hence a violation of the rules. And it was one of the posts which contributed to that thread going so far off the rails.

The fact that the Warning came so long after the fact was due entirely to the fact that I didn't happen to be reading that thread, and it took a long time for it to get reported. The thread might have been salvageable, if I had seen it earlier. Please, everyone, report a thread when you see trouble starting, not when there's already a horrible mess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreysonCarlisle View Post
That's not Wooky's fault. I'd chalk that part up to the lax moderation you've already mentioned.
Quote:
Take issue or don't. I never said it was your fault. You did, on the other hand, say that it was Wooky's fault for the thread going so far off the rails. You're just one guy, you need more moderators, you wish that the members would report more, whatever--that doesn't make handing out that warning any more legitimate.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
I do take issue with the accusation that the thread got so far off the rails in the first place due to "lax moderation".
No-one's said that. Oh, wait, I see someone did phrase it that way.

I have said that your eventual response - to shut it down and then come back much later to issue stale warnings - was lazy and poor modding. That would be the case whenever you did so. If you were going to shut the thread, just shut the damn thread. Handing out a days-late warning for a borderline infraction by an otherwise spotless poster just looks petty.

Justifying it after the fact as no thing because "single warnings don't really count" is, however, just laughable.

Last edited by MrDibble; 11-22-2019 at 12:04 AM.