Old 11-11-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
What some people forget is, in college, the game cannot end on a penalty against the offense, so if an illegal forward pass would have been called, Stanford would have accepted it (otherwise, the touchdown counts, and Cal wins), and Cal would get one more play - and if it was close enough, could kick a field goal to win 22-20.
Bolding mine.

This is not true. In any level of football, a game cannot end on a penalty against the defense. If, on the last play of the game, a defensive player commits a penalty (say, defensive pass interference in the end zone), the game continues and there is one untimed down.

But if an offensive player would commit the same penalty (offensive pass interference), the game would be over, even if the offense scored a touchdown. The touchdown would not count.

If an illegal forward pass had been called against Cal on The Play, the game would have been over at that point and Stanford would have been the winner.

Last edited by Railer13; 11-11-2019 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
As a Michigan State alum, I have to go with the 2015 game-ending punt fumble by Michigan. That one had it all, last play of the game, big rivalry, improbable miscue and scoring a TD as time expires.
I remember watching that with a bunch of Michigan fans. When it happened, we all just sorta looked on in shock and then went "Huh, alrighty then". Because of that my spouse has taken up the mantra "It ain't over until it's over."
Old 11-11-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
For me the best part was the look on Harbaugh’s face.
One Michigan fan got brief fame out of it- the student striking the "surrender cobra" pose just after the play on the coverage. Apparently in the weeks after the game, a ton of women wanted to pose with him as he did that pose. I hope he got some phone numbers and a few dates out of it.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:06 PM

The Fumblerooski in the Orange Bowl has to be in contention
Old 11-15-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
One Michigan fan got brief fame out of it- the student striking the "surrender cobra" pose just after the play on the coverage. Apparently in the weeks after the game, a ton of women wanted to pose with him as he did that pose. I hope he got some phone numbers and a few dates out of it.
Chris Baldwin was his name.

https://www.dictionary.com/e/wp-cont...er-cobra-3.gif
Old 11-16-2019, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
This is not true. In any level of football, a game cannot end on a penalty against the defense. If, on the last play of the game, a defensive player commits a penalty (say, defensive pass interference in the end zone), the game continues and there is one untimed down.

But if an offensive player would commit the same penalty (offensive pass interference), the game would be over, even if the offense scored a touchdown. The touchdown would not count.
Flat-out incorrect. See post #39 for an accurate statement of NCAA rules with respect to an offensive penalty on the last play of the game.

Note that offensive pass interference is not a loss-of-down penalty. It was at one time, but hasn't been for a long time.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask View Post
Thanks for mentioning that. Wow, that is some game: Boise State Upsets Oklahoma: A Game to Remember

And one of those moments you wouldn't dare put in a movie script - the guy that made the last reception proposes to the head cheerleader during his post match interview.
What made the Boise State-OU ending (and those last two plays) memorable was the fact that nobody had ever taken Boise St seriously as a football program; OU had won a championship under Bob Stoops in 2000 and they had competed for championships and conference championships in other years. And of course they were a powerhouse under Switzer in the 1980s.

Boise St jumped out to an early lead but OU clawed back and eventually took the lead late in the 4th quarter on a pick 6. And at that time, it appeared that the game was sealed - until that amazing hook and ladder that absolutely nobody saw coming.

And then the decision to go for two after scoring a potentially tying touchdown, and that play. It's the best football play-calling and execution I've ever seen.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:41 AM

In case nobody's mentioned it already, let's not forget "the return" by Auburn against Alabama in the Iron Bowl, to deny Alabama a shot at the BCS title game in 2013.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqIBNX0CXDc
Old 11-16-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy the Pig View Post
Flat-out incorrect. See post #39 for an accurate statement of NCAA rules with respect to an offensive penalty on the last play of the game.

Note that offensive pass interference is not a loss-of-down penalty. It was at one time, but hasn't been for a long time.
No, I am correct. I just downloaded a copy of the NFL 2019 rule book. On page 15, Rule 4, Section 8:

EXTENSION OF A PERIOD OR A HALF
ARTICLE 2. PERIOD EXTENDED. At the election of the opponent, a period may be extended for one untimed down, if any of the following occurs during a down during which time in the period expires:

(a) If there is a live-ball foul by the defensive team that is accepted, the offensive team may choose to extend the period by an untimed down after enforcement of the penalty. If the first or third period is not so extended, any accepted penalty is
enforced before the start of the succeeding period.

(b) If there is a foul by the offense, there shall be no extension of the period. If the foul occurs on the last play of the half, a score by the offense is not counted.

Bolding mine.

Pretty much what I said in Post #51.

I haven't looked, but I'm 99.99% certain that the NCAA rule book reads much the same way.

Last edited by Railer13; 11-16-2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:44 PM

Actually, Freddy, we're both right. And in this thread, you were more right than me. It appears that the NCAA and NFL rules differ.

Here's what the NCAA rule book says:

Extension of Periods
ARTICLE 3. a. A period shall be extended for an untimed down if one or more
of the following occurs during a down in which time expires (A.R. 3-2-3-I-VIII):
1. A penalty is accepted for a live-ball foul(s) (Exception: Rule 10-2-5-a).
The period is not extended if the foul is by the team in possession and
the statement of the penalty includes loss of down
(A.R. 3-2-3-VIII).
2. There are offsetting fouls.
3. An official sounds his whistle inadvertently or otherwise incorrectly
signals the ball dead.
b. Additional untimed downs will be played until a down is free of the
circumstances in statements 1, 2 and 3 of Rule 3-2-3-a (above).
c. If a touchdown is scored during a down in which time in a period expires,
the period is extended for the try (Exception: Rule 8-3-2-a).

The bolding is exactly as you said in the college game. My apologies to Don and you.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
No, I am correct. I just downloaded a copy of the NFL 2019 rule book. On page 15, Rule 4, Section 8:

I haven't looked, but I'm 99.99% certain that the NCAA rule book reads much the same way.
I have no idea why you would assume that. Rules are different at all levels of the game, and the NCAA book is freely available online.

3-2-3-1

ARTICLE 3. a. A period shall be extended for an untimed down if one or more of the following occurs during a down in which time expires (A.R. 3-2-3-I-VIII):

1. A penalty is accepted for a live-ball foul(s) (Exception: Rule 10-2-5-a). The period is not extended if the foul is by the team in possession and the statement of the penalty includes loss of down (A.R. 3-2-3-VIII).
Old 11-17-2019, 01:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
The Fumblerooski in the Orange Bowl has to be in contention
Is that play still allowed or did they rewrite the rules to ban it after that game?

Last FM Library Thing
Old 11-17-2019, 01:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeu View Post
It was an elite, expensive private school (still is, of course), while Berkeley was public and inexpensive. Even though Berkeley was considered the flagship of the UC system, it was still a UC school, and at that time in-state tuition was only a few hundred dollars a semester, and if you had a certain high school GPA and test scores, you were guaranteed admission to one of the UC schools, and usually your first or second choice. A large proportion of Berkeley students were at Berkeley either because they were rejected at Stanford, or couldn't afford it. Or both. We were all very sure that Berkeley gave the equivalent (or superior) education, but Stanford students absolutely were NOT in agreement with that. They treated us with condescending pity, and we treated them with angry resentment.

So it wasn't just a football rivalry, but a much deeper and wider rivalry. All that made this unusual victory all the sweeter. T-shirts with the play diagrammed on them appeared on campus within a week.
Word. You forgot to mention the grade inflation and ease of graduation if you were at Stanford versus the insane meritocracy that ruled in the UC system.

China Guy, UCD alumni from that time.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sensitive View Post
I have no idea why you would assume that. Rules are different at all levels of the game, and the NCAA book is freely available online.

3-2-3-1

ARTICLE 3. a. A period shall be extended for an untimed down if one or more of the following occurs during a down in which time expires (A.R. 3-2-3-I-VIII):

1. A penalty is accepted for a live-ball foul(s) (Exception: Rule 10-2-5-a). The period is not extended if the foul is by the team in possession and the statement of the penalty includes loss of down (A.R. 3-2-3-VIII).
See post #60. I retracted that claim and offered an apology.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:24 PM

Miami beat Duke a few years back on a similar last second play that did not get as much publicity. And the refs missed some calls . they had 8 laterals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YXwuaniPoc
Old 11-17-2019, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Miami beat Duke a few years back on a similar last second play that did not get as much publicity. And the refs missed some calls . they had 8 laterals
Damn, that was nice. They ran backwards so much I thought they would never get it going!

Dennis
Old 11-18-2019, 09:06 AM
Charter Jays Fan

It's not the greatest play in college football history. It's the greatest play in ANY sport's history, and I say that as a guy who

1. Isn't really much of a football fan,
2. Has no interest in college football at all, and
3. Once watched his favorite team in any sport win a World Series on a walk-off home run.

I do not know how you can possibly top the total, wonderful, hilarious absurdity of this play. If you had written this into a movie people would literally have said "That is the stupidest thing ever and it would never happen for real in a billion years."

I've probably seen The Play a thousand times, and so has everyone, I guess; the repetition of it has almost taken away the wonder. But if you haven't seen it in awhile look it up because a few years of not seeing it bring back that wonder. It's just a one in a trillion thing, and so hilariously funny. I mean, it's already utterly magnificent, with four or five laterals, when, as the camera is panning to the viewer's right, the guy yells "Oh, and the band is out on the field!" and you think "The who?" and sure enough, there they are, and I think there's some kind of a mascot who has a red and white striped shirt on and looks like Waldo, and they're honking and banging away but then they start scattering in a panic like squirrels, and there's like a hundred of them, and the announcer is at this point screaming like the Allies are invading Normandy and he's announcing it live while leaping from a C-47 with the 101st Airborne, and then of course the guy spikes the trombone player.

I mean, it's just... I still can't believe this really happened in real life and it's not a fever dream. I am an atheist but this existence of this play really challenges that, because it's evidence God is real and wants to reveal His existence through the most preposterous miracles.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

BTW, Cal beat Stanford today with just over a minute to go.

Happy Dance and go suck eggs Stanford sissy boys...