Old 11-23-2019, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
“The rules of the pit are made up randomly and enforced according to popular pressure.”

FTFFY
If that was true, banning FXM and Clothahump wouldn't have taken so long.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:03 AM

It's a pretty neat trick for the rules to be simultaneously random and enforced by popular opinion.

Does the mob randomly generate the rules in a "thousand monkeys at a thousand typewriters" kind of way?
Old 11-24-2019, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka
So thread topics should be subject to a heckler's veto (of sorts)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
If by "heckler" you mean pretty much everyone in the thread besides you; yeah sure.
But isn't that argumentum ad populum?

Last edited by I Love Me, Vol. I; 11-24-2019 at 05:59 AM.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
I disagree with that characterization. He wasn't insulting iiandyiiii , he wasn't calling his argument stupid. He was trying to explore what he thought was a good rebuttal argument to the position stayed by iiandyiiii .
A beef isn't an insult or calling someone stupid, it's a complaint. He wanted to explore his argument but iiandyiiii wasn't going for it.

Ultimately he went for the "publicly call him out" version of the exploration, which is perfectly fine, but calling out other posters for a failure to support their positions is something restricted to the Pit. He could have explored his argument in other ways, but he did not choose to do that.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
Ultimately he went for the "publicly call him out" version of the exploration, which is perfectly fine, but calling out other posters for a failure to support their positions is something restricted to the Pit. He could have explored his argument in other ways, but he did not choose to do that.
And that's a key point. iiandyiiii had refused to reply to him before HD was sanctioned. So he was not in fact taking a hijack out of ATMB. He was making another thread to demand that iiandyiiii answer him.

And that's what ecg said is not permitted. You're not allowed to make a new thread to demand that a poster answer a question that they had previously decided not to.

Now, if he'd Pitted iiandyiiii for not answering him, that would be a different story. But he refuses to engage in the Pit. So he loses the ability to call someone out in one thread for their actions in another thread.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
It's a pretty neat trick for the rules to be simultaneously random and enforced by popular opinion.

Does the mob randomly generate the rules in a "thousand monkeys at a thousand typewriters" kind of way?
It takes a high level of cognitive dissonance.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
And that's a key point. iiandyiiii had refused to reply to him before HD was sanctioned. So he was not in fact taking a hijack out of ATMB. He was making another thread to demand that iiandyiiii answer him.
Andy never refused. He didn't answer, but to say he refused to answer implies you somehow know what he's thinking. It's not fair for you, or anyone, to tell us what Andy is thinking and/or put words in his mouth.

Maybe he was refusing to answer or maybe he didn't see the question or just hadn't had a chance to address the question yet. I know I've certainly moved past a question directed at me until I have time to give it the proper response, even if I make other posts to the same thread in the mean time.

Quote:
But he refuses to engage in the Pit.
Where did you read that? Or did you make that up as well?

Quote:
And that's what ecg said is not permitted. You're not allowed to make a new thread to demand that a poster answer a question that they had previously decided not to.
In what world is " I asked you a question in that thread and you didn't answer it (or if you did, I missed your answer). I'd like to give you the opportunity to do so here, if you're willing" a demand?

So, what about this: In this post, I asked you to show me where HD refuses to engage in the pit. The next day and a few dozen posts later, I don't see a reply, so I quote the same post I quoted here, quote my question to you and say "I don't think I saw an answer to this, did you ever find a cite for it?"
Is that okay? Because that's literally all that happened. The only difference being that he moved it to it's own thread because so as not to hijack the first thread even more.
And besides, it's not like 'hey, you didn't answer me' doesn't get posted on a pretty regular basis around here.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
In what world is " I asked you a question in that thread and you didn't answer it (or if you did, I missed your answer). I'd like to give you the opportunity to do so here, if you're willing" a demand?
When it's in its own thread, with the poster named in the title, and is the only reason for the thread's existence, it's a thread where one poster is calling out another poster for non-responsiveness.