Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-22-2019, 12:52 PM
ftg's Avatar
ftg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Not the PNW :-(
Posts: 20,777

What can users do to Enhance Shareholder (?) Value.


There's been some info posted in ATMB recently that mentions things that are good, or not, from the point of view of the ad folk.

One I was surprised to learn is that repeated views of a thread count far less than the first one. To me, the ads can change between views so why does this matter? But maybe it does.

This has me thinking. What sort of behavior is thought to be desirable by the money folk at The Reader, Creative Loafing, The Reader, The Sun-Times?

Do they like a few long threads or lots of short threads? Do they like drawing in a bunch of people who disagree strongly? Is visiting once a day better than visiting more times a day? Whatever. I don't know how their minds work so I'm at a loss.
  #2  
Old 11-22-2019, 01:03 PM
Jonathan Chance is online now
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: On the run with Kilroy
Posts: 23,070
Realizing that my knowledge is limited, there’s one thing that will always stand out.

Don’t use an adblocker.

Yes, yes. I know people will complain about the ads. But that’s how we cover our nut. It’s a vicious circle. Sites with more and better impressions get better ads and get paid more for them. Essentially, adblockers harm any potential growth in that metric. It suppresses the ads and page views and unique users served and therefore gets us less per ad and worse ads.

Barring that? The thing posters can do is to hit many threads in multiple fora. That helps maximize the impact of their visit. Starting threads would also help.

Last edited by Jonathan Chance; 11-22-2019 at 01:05 PM.
  #3  
Old 11-22-2019, 01:06 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Barring that? The thing posters can do is to hit many threads in multiple fora. That helps maximize the impact of their visit. Starting threads would also help.
This helps even if the poster is a paying member?
  #4  
Old 11-22-2019, 01:09 PM
Jonathan Chance is online now
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: On the run with Kilroy
Posts: 23,070
Unknown, honestly.

I do know that ads arenít served to paying members but page views DO count. So it may up the rate charged in a meta way for those non-paying members who still see ads.
  #5  
Old 11-22-2019, 01:25 PM
Thudlow Boink's Avatar
Thudlow Boink is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Lincoln, IL
Posts: 27,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
I do know that ads arenít served to paying members but page views DO count. So it may up the rate charged in a meta way for those non-paying members who still see ads.
Okay, I turned off my ad blocker here, just in case it helps.
  #6  
Old 11-22-2019, 01:29 PM
kopek's Avatar
kopek is offline
born to be shunned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southwestern PA
Posts: 15,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Unknown, honestly.

I do know that ads arenít served to paying members but page views DO count. So it may up the rate charged in a meta way for those non-paying members who still see ads.

If nothing else those of us who sign out at the end of each session score a hit with the ads when we come back to sign in; for me that is usually at least twice a day.
  #7  
Old 11-22-2019, 02:25 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 63,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Unknown, honestly.

I do know that ads arenít served to paying members but page views DO count. So it may up the rate charged in a meta way for those non-paying members who still see ads.
Are we better protected from malicious ads than we were in the past?
  #8  
Old 11-22-2019, 04:59 PM
Jonathan Chance is online now
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: On the run with Kilroy
Posts: 23,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Okay, I turned off my ad blocker here, just in case it helps.
Thanks, that's very kind of you.
  #9  
Old 11-22-2019, 05:00 PM
Jonathan Chance is online now
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: On the run with Kilroy
Posts: 23,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Are we better protected from malicious ads than we were in the past?
That I cannot answer. None of the moderators, nor Tubadiva, has any oversight nor input into the advertising firm STM uses. There's simply no means for us to answer that question.
  #10  
Old 11-22-2019, 05:38 PM
madsircool is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Realizing that my knowledge is limited, there’s one thing that will always stand out.

Don’t use an adblocker.

Yes, yes. I know people will complain about the ads. But that’s how we cover our nut. It’s a vicious circle. Sites with more and better impressions get better ads and get paid more for them. Essentially, adblockers harm any potential growth in that metric. It suppresses the ads and page views and unique users served and therefore gets us less per ad and worse ads.

Barring that? The thing posters can do is to hit many threads in multiple fora. That helps maximize the impact of their visit. Starting threads would also help.
Done.

We need a Sedans for the Straight Dope fundraising campaign as well.
  #11  
Old 11-22-2019, 05:46 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 63,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Done.

We need a Sedans for the Straight Dope fundraising campaign as well.
1-800-Maseratis-For-Moderators
1-800-Audis-For-Admins
  #12  
Old 11-22-2019, 07:58 PM
TubaDiva's Avatar
TubaDiva is offline
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: In the land of OO-bla-dee
Posts: 11,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
1-800-Maseratis-For-Moderators
1-800-Audis-For-Admins
I endorse this effort.

Also would be interested in the "Goodbye PBR; Hello single malt" campaign. Just saying.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
  #13  
Old 11-22-2019, 08:00 PM
TubaDiva's Avatar
TubaDiva is offline
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: In the land of OO-bla-dee
Posts: 11,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
That I cannot answer. None of the moderators, nor Tubadiva, has any oversight nor input into the advertising firm STM uses. There's simply no means for us to answer that question.
Not to jinx things here but yes, we have a better class of ads these days and it has been a while since we got a bad actor.

That probably has something to do with the fact that STM has been merciless in dealing with this issue; they have dropped any ad provider that let a malicious ad get into the mix.

However, the world of bad actors is constantly in search of the better mousetrap and testing defenses all the time, so it's always entirely possible that some clever jerk will figure out a way around what's in place, so I cannot guarantee this won't ever happen again.

It would be appreciated if you clicked on an ad sometime, just to help the cause.

I should mention that the Chicago Sun-Times is privately held. I should also mention that newspapers in general are in a death spiral (by and large, people do not read dead tree newspapers these days) and so publishers like STM are forced to find other ways of getting traffic. Some papers are even turning into nonprofits so they can apply for grants and do other forms of public fundraising; the Chicago Reader announced these plans just this week.

Your participation in this site, reading and posting and bringing your friends, encouraging active discussion and discourse, that's the greatest boost of all. We appreciate your efforts. We're all in this together, you know.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
  #14  
Old 11-22-2019, 08:05 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 63,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaDiva View Post
I endorse this effort.

Also would be interested in the "Goodbye PBR; Hello single malt" campaign. Just saying.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
You ever pop up in Portland I promise you a night of nothing under 12 years old ((single malt whisky-get your minds out of the gutter), my treat.
  #15  
Old 11-22-2019, 08:15 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 63,123
And since I can't opt in for ads, I bought a custom title instead.
  #16  
Old 11-22-2019, 08:35 PM
thorny locust's Avatar
thorny locust is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 1,469
I don't think I am running an adblocker; but I don't see ads.

I am running Noscript; but I've got everything set to at least temporarily trusted on this site right now, and no ads.

I am blocking third-party cookies, popups, and tracking.

Firefox on a Mac desktop.

Probably I ought to get around to buying a membership.
  #17  
Old 11-22-2019, 08:45 PM
TubaDiva's Avatar
TubaDiva is offline
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: In the land of OO-bla-dee
Posts: 11,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
You ever pop up in Portland I promise you a night of nothing under 12 years old ((single malt whisky-get your minds out of the gutter), my treat.

And since I can't opt in for ads, I bought a custom title instead.
I'm in! And hey, that title looks good on you, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I don't think I am running an adblocker; but I don't see ads.

I am running Noscript; but I've got everything set to at least temporarily trusted on this site right now, and no ads.

I am blocking third-party cookies, popups, and tracking.

Firefox on a Mac desktop.

Probably I ought to get around to buying a membership.
I am not a Mac expert (not anymore) but you're blocking.

Today some browsers automatically block ads and trackers and etc anyway. It's a built in feature on certain browsers and a plugin/add on/app for others. I couldn't begin to list 'em all.

Subscription revenue and donations (through the Friend of Cecil selection) is always welcome. Every bit helps and is greatly appreciated.

And as I said earlier, just being here, playing our reindeer games, making posts, reading stuff, clicking on the occasional ad, all that is enormously supportive. Bring your friends! Hell, bring people you don't know!

Thanks.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
  #18  
Old 11-24-2019, 08:32 AM
ftg's Avatar
ftg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Not the PNW :-(
Posts: 20,777
How about links?

Does throwing in links to certain other sites help?

Is there a chance that revenue from Amazon links, for example, will ever be enabled?
  #19  
Old 11-24-2019, 09:28 AM
Jonathan Chance is online now
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: On the run with Kilroy
Posts: 23,070
Currently, no, they provide no value. Links to here from other sites MAY, but only because they have the chance to bring more traffic.

As to the Amazon Affiliate concept? No idea. That's certainly not something that would be discussed with the moderation staff. I'd say I'd support it, though. A thread on cool stuff on Amazon with links would probably get a lot of play.

Last edited by Jonathan Chance; 11-24-2019 at 09:29 AM.
  #20  
Old 11-24-2019, 01:04 PM
TubaDiva's Avatar
TubaDiva is offline
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: In the land of OO-bla-dee
Posts: 11,222
I've recommended to TPTB that they enable the Amazon affiliate link. They have promised to look at it but as of yet it has not been activated.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017