Old 11-25-2019, 11:17 PM

What is the best/simplest website to host pictures or memes?

Imgur and Photobucket are old and complicated.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:35 PM

Well, most people use Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram for that these days. There's a reason personal blogging isn't much of a "thing" any more. For all it's issues, Facebook is incredibly easy to use and it shows your photos to all your friends.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:39 PM

Thank you. How easy is Instagram? Is there anything simpler?

All six of myself were banned on Twitter.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:17 AM

I only barely use instagram. I got an account to see the photos my cousins posted from a trip they took. So I don't really know.

All of those have the "feature" that it's only easy for other people on the same platform to see the pictures. (But you can make them "public", at least on Facebook and Twitter, in which case you can send a link to anyone, but people who follow the link will be nagged to sign in before being shown the photos.)
Old 11-26-2019, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Does anyone know if Reddit always has URL links to its posts? Of course you shouldn't host pictures and memes there since it isn't meant as long term storage, but I've found Reddit to be much faster than I expected compared to the slowness of almost other image-heavy websites with all their extraneous stuff. Definitely faster than Imgur and Photobucket and Instagram, and in my opinion faster than Facebook, but I don't have enough experience with Twitter to compare. Twitter seems like it might be stripped down enough to be speedy.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:46 AM

I've used https://postimages.org/ with success.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Does anyone know if Reddit always has URL links to its posts? Of course you shouldn't host pictures and memes there since it isn't meant as long term storage, but I've found Reddit to be much faster than I expected compared to the slowness of almost other image-heavy websites with all their extraneous stuff. Definitely faster than Imgur and Photobucket and Instagram, and in my opinion faster than Facebook, but I don't have enough experience with Twitter to compare. Twitter seems like it might be stripped down enough to be speedy.
Fast in what way? Loading images? Showing images to your friends? Something else?

I have to opine here that I can't stand twitter, and especially how it fusses about my phone, and makes me click past the "USE OUR APP!" ad, and sometimes flat out refuses to show me stuff on the phone unless I tell the phone browser to pretend to be a laptop.

But I confess that I actually do use the Facebook app on my phone. But I've looked at photos on other computers that didn't have it loaded, and without logging in.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
Fast in what way? Loading images? Showing images to your friends? Something else?
Both uploading and viewing images. I've only uploaded images on Facebook but it still seems faster than Facebook. Whenever anyone links me to imgur, photobucket, or instagram, it spins and spins on my pc before even showing the simplest image, while it doesn't do that for Reddit for me.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:44 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

What's complicated about imgur? It's very simplistic, and where I see most images posted that are linked on Reddit.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:54 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
What's complicated about imgur? It's very simplistic, and where I see most images posted that are linked on Reddit.
I concur; I used to use Photobucket for things like that, but a couple of years ago, Photobucket stopped letting one post direct links to images from it unless one bought a paid account; they also started running bandwidth-heavy ads on their site at that same time (which, again, one could get rid of, with a paid account), so I dumped Photobucket for Imgur.

IME, Imgur is pretty easy to use, allows direct links, and isn't a bandwidth hog.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:24 AM

Why, I have no idea...!

https://imgflip.com/i/3hm4n0
Old 11-26-2019, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I agree. You don't even need a login/account though you may wish to create one to keep track of your photos.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
you can make them "public", at least on Facebook
I don't know whether people who ordinarily use Facebook while logged in are aware of this: but Facebook has for some time been covering large portions of their windows with boxes demanding that one sign in or create an account.

The box starts off covering the whole window. It has no close button that I can find. It does have a "not now" button; but using this, while it shrinks the box to some extent, still leaves it covering half of whatever you're trying to look at.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:13 PM

I used PhotoCircle on my recent trip to Peru. Worked great - very simple. You just add photos and then share the link to your album with your friends and family. They can upload, too, once they join your "circle".
Old 11-26-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnglmassiv View Post
I agree. You don't even need a login/account though you may wish to create one to keep track of your photos.
I use Imgur for everything, but the perception of "complicated" might be because they're trying to make the main site a meme/social site. but if you create a profile it's piss easy to get to it and find your images.

although getting the links to your images is (IIRC) a bit more of a pain on mobile than it is on the desktop. Plus you have to remember the direct link to the image is "i.imgur.com/xxxxxxx.jpg" and not "www.imgur.com/xxxxxxx.jpg".
Old 11-26-2019, 02:42 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCitizen View Post
What reason did they give?
Old 11-26-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
I've used https://postimages.org/ with success.
Thank you -- bookmarked.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Both uploading and viewing images. I've only uploaded images on Facebook but it still seems faster than Facebook. Whenever anyone links me to imgur, photobucket, or instagram, it spins and spins on my pc before even showing the simplest image, while it doesn't do that for Reddit for me.
I have no Facebook account.

All six of me are banned on Twitter.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I guess I am both cyberilliterate and cyberlazy. I did upload a few dozen images there, but the system is still a little complicated.
Old 11-26-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCitizen
What reason did they give?
All six of me were very very rude. There are many more of me, but not on Twitter.
Old 11-27-2019, 01:20 AM

flickr is so easy, even I could figure it out.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/155285423@N02/

I don't even know how to text and don't have A Face Book.