Old 11-25-2019, 12:28 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Have you ever had or wanted a makeover?

I know nothing about fashion or style. If you asked me "Who are you wearing?" I'd probably laugh at you. I get my hair cut by whoever is free next at Hair Cuttery. I clip my own fingernails, and I hated the one and only pedicure I got. I don't wear makeup. For jewelry, I have a plain gold wedding band, a $12 watch from WalMart, and for dressy occasions, I might untangle a necklace from my much-ignored jewelry box. I dress appropriately for whatever event, but I'm not interested in making a statement or expressing myself thru my accessories.

HOWEVER

I would love to have a complete makeover, just to see what so-called experts would do with me. I'm not curious enough to pay for such a thing, but I think it'd be a hoot to see another's interpretation. Even if I was so inclined, I have no idea where I'd go for such a treatment. There aren't any such salons here in Amish country.

So, 'fess up. Have you? Would you?
Old 11-25-2019, 12:35 PM

I would, as long as they asked me exactly zero questions. Because if I knew the answers, I wouldn't need a makeover.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:58 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I would love love love for someone to tell me what to buy for my body shape. I'm fat but with no real curves, with a long torso and short legs. I think I've got rather robust shoulders, too.

If someone could just come put some clothes on me to make me look good, I would promise to follow their advice going forward.

I watch makeover shows like "What Not To Wear" and "Queer Eye" and I never see them hit on "here's what fat girls with long torsos and short legs should wear." So I still don't have a clue.

As for hair and makeup...I've tried doing hair and makeup stuff but I'm just too lazy to keep up with it, so I don't think it would be useful. They can give tips, and paint my face, but I don't see myself doing it going forward.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:01 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I'm pretty sure I'd revert to my usual self afterwards, altho if the haircut was a winner, I'd take pics and tell future Hair Cuttery-ers to do it that way. And I might pay attention to color palette advice. Maybe. Depending.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

I looooooved What Not To Wear, though I'm not sure I ever learned anything. I still shop like the contestants did on the first day; i.e., pick up all the wrong things and wind up crying.

I did do a Glamour Shots thing once with my mom, long ago. That wasn't exactly targeted advice though. I think the folks just made everyone's hair as big as possible and gave us bright lipstick. It was like before and after Sandy.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:54 PM

Makeover? Not so much. Someone else to throw out my wardrobe and put togther some number of outfits for work, play, etc.? Sign me up.

I'm not going to start wearing makeup every day and I already spend a good amount on hair coloring and hair cuts. And, even though I just received a number of rings from my grandmother's estate, I am currently only wearing my wedding ring, no other jewelry. Most of the time I forget to put on earrings and I don't like necklaces.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

I've been unsalvageable for decades. Seriously, WYSIWYG; if it isn't good enough, look elsewhere.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:05 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

So, Chefguy, you're not even curious what someone would do to you if you gave them free rein? Still clinging to that powder blue leisure suit??

I'm definitely a WYSIWYG, but I still wonder what the movers and shakers in the world of style, etc, would do with me. I suppose a bag over my head is an option.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
I looooooved What Not To Wear, though I'm not sure I ever learned anything. I still shop like the contestants did on the first day; i.e., pick up all the wrong things and wind up crying.
I kind of loved WNTW, but there was the problem that Stacy & Clinton had a very specific style, and while they'd do variations of it, they didn't go outside of it very much. (Admittedly, it was a solid, generic style and always looked better than the things the people were wearing beforehand. Always.) Also, their makeovers nearly always included "we had this professionally tailored." So it was not as helpful if you do not have the time, money, or access to tailoring.

I have had "personal styling" where you call into a local department store and say "I have a job interview/new job/social event/date/etc. and I'm size ____ and my shoe size is ____," you show up, someone has picked out a few outfits for you, you try them on, and if you like anything you get it. It takes out the searching through the store part, but it isn't customized for you. I did get a great pair of pants out of one of those, once (I probably would have given up before I found them on the rack.) I'd love to have a full wardrobe makeover by people who knew what they were doing. I don't have the time or money to either have one or to keep it up, but I think it would be fun to see what they would do.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:30 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I actually just saw an ad this weekend for "personal stylist" services at a store I buy a lot of my clothes at. I was going to give it a go but I didn't think it would be SUPER personal. After all, all the clothes would come from one brand. It still might be worthwhile but in the meantime, I'm too broke for a bunch of new clothes anyway.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:32 PM

My makeovers are more mental, or maybe place-based. Travel allows or encourages re-invention. I go somewhere else, where nobody knows me, and I dress and act different than at home. I can be a new "me" anywhere. Go to Tombstone AZ, dress cowboy-like, pass an open whiskey bottle to tourists. Go to San Francisco, wear a cheap suit, play blues guitar on a streetcorner. Go to Honduras, dress nice and behave, be mistaken for Canadian.

Cross a county line to find a whole new world to inhabit.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

I'm severely fashion impaired AND legitimately color-blind. My late spouse used to be really good at picking out clothes for me to wear, but he's gone now.

I'm actually sort of afraid of what "professionals" doing a makeover would do to me...

Nevermind that I'd never be able to keep up with whatever hair style/make-up/color scheme they choose for me, the first thing any of those types ever do when I get within range seems to be to clutch my hair and gush "OH! WE COULD CUT AND STYLE AND COLOR AND USE PRODUCT AND YOU'D BE A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PERSON!!!!!"

Um... but I like the person I am....

(I have actually told hairstylists and fashionista sorts that - the looks in response seem to range from shock to horror to disbelief, as if they had never met a woman who was happy with who she was before...)

Oh, and they'd probably insist I pierce my ears. Nope. Not gonna do it. I've gone over half a century without feeling a need to drill holes in my ears, why start now? I don't like pain. Not even a little pain. I refuse to suffer for someone else's notion of beauty. Seriously, I've probably had a half dozen people over the years try to get me to pierce my ears and when I say no thank you they double down - seriously, WTF is it to people if someone else doesn't wear earrings? I don't care if you do, why do you care if I don't?

Next thing someone will tell me to ditch the jeans and workboots and t-shirts and flannels and start wearing "proper" dresses and panty hose and pumps (which never seem to be in my size and no, I am NOT squeezing my aging feet into "pretty shoes" that hurt like motherf*****s - that whole NOT suffering for beauty thing again...)

Sorry, started having flashbacks to "charm school" and Mrs. Guthaus, the second grade teacher who wanted me medicated because I wasn't feminine enough for her taste and wanted to play tag and recess with the boys rather than sit "nicely" with the girls.

Let's just make that a firm NO in my case and leave it at that.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:54 PM
born to be shunned

Zombie-fied for an event by a professional but that's the limit. Usually I do my own make-up but this was a special occasion and I wanted some serious wound effects.

Other than that I always fall back on my upbringing within the Original Ritualist Church and the various edicts against changing the way you look and just avoid it altogether.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

amarinth, you might like Stitch Fix. You put in all your specifics, tastes, needs, etc. and they send you clothes. I joined a couple of years ago because I needed clothes but wasn't able to shop, and I've gotten some nice stuff that way.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:05 PM

I did have a makeover. A Hollywood makeover. The circumstances were, some kind of gala at a programming conference, it might have been NATPE, that the industry newspaper I was working for covered. They had little booths everywhere and all yoou had to do was go and sit down, and they gave you the full treatment.

Which was a whole lot of stuff. That's the thing I neverrealized, you put on a prep coat of everything. A...I forget what they called it. (It was not a prep coat.) Like here's the [whatever it is] for your foundation. And here's the [whatever it is] for your eyes, from the lash line up to the bottom of the eyebrow. And then they just kept piling stuff on. After the prep coat, the foundation coat. And then the top coat. And then the finishing coat. And then...spray, to keep it all in place.

And they put on highlighters and lowlighters and blended. These makeup artists can completely change the shape of your face that way.

The other thing that I didn't know then was that when you have that level of makeup on, you need to refresh it every so often, and by every so often I mean, every 10 minutes. So you're circulating at the party and one of the makeup stations beckons you over for a fluff. Because they can see that you need it.

Now probablly people who are used to that level of makeup don't need fluffing as often, but makeup tends to just slide right off my face.

Anyway I looked great. I looked fabulous. I also looked like completely somebody else. Frankly, somebody a little meaner than I am. But the only time I have ever approached this level of makeup in my ordinary life is Halloween.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:09 PM

Oh and by the way I have a permanent grudge against What Not To Wear because I followed their advice and got rid of all my turtlenecks. Then I realized that what they did not understand was that some of us are very cold-natured, and if we don't have turtlenecks on we need a scarf around our necks (also a no-no for my body type), which is another item so I'd rather have the turtleneck. And one of the turtlenecks I got rid of was a color that was in fashion when I bought it, but out of fashion when I tried to replaceit,and I had to wait years for that color to filter back down to the Steinmarts et al. of the world. So the hell with them. I would rather not freeze than look stylish, apparently.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:23 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

What's wrong with turtlenecks? Sheesh...

Broomstick - I'm with you on holes in the ears. I got woozy when my daughter got hers pierced, and I wasn't even with her! Her dad took her and I walked around the mall waiting, trying not to faint. So, nope, not gonna happen to me! On the few rare occasions when I wore clip-ons, I kept fussing with them because then never felt right. There's no shame in naked earlobes!
Old 11-25-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
we need a scarf around our necks (also a no-no for my body type)
If you don't mind, how can a scarf of all things be a no-no for any body type?
Old 11-25-2019, 04:43 PM

No. I have my own personal style and way I want to look. I want my appearance to be constant and predictable, and not to spend much time on maintaining myself. No wish to have anyone re-imagine me.

And in general, the object of my desire would be an essentially low-maintenance woman.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:45 PM

All right, I am small, but overly busty. The turtlenecks on my type of body give an illusion of more bulk, because more material. To look taller and less dumpy, I am supposed to wear v-necks or some other neckline that goes down low, for the sake of minimizing. And, you know, they are right, these do make me look less busty, along with taller and less dumpy. But I'm cold.

The scarves also add bulk if worn for warmth, because they're wrapped around my neck. The way I am supposed to wear a scarf, for illusion purposes, is in such a way that they hang below my (lower) neckline, and if there's any kind of nkot it should be well below the bust line--but that's not the way I wear them. I wrap them around my neck a couple of times and then tie them and the result is that the thickest part of the scarf is right where it shouldn't be.

But the hell with it.

ETA this was answering Manson1972

Last edited by Hilarity N. Suze; 11-25-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:45 PM

There ain't enough 'Make' to make me over.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
So, Chefguy, you're not even curious what someone would do to you if you gave them free rein? Still clinging to that powder blue leisure suit??

I'm definitely a WYSIWYG, but I still wonder what the movers and shakers in the world of style, etc, would do with me. I suppose a bag over my head is an option.
I most certainly do NOT have a blue leisure suit! * Nah, I'm not even remotely curious. I'm happy slobbing around in jeans and tees.

*...any more; and anyway, it was black.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
... Nevermind that I'd never be able to keep up with whatever hair style/make-up/color scheme they choose for me, the first thing any of those types ever do when I get within range seems to be to clutch my hair and gush "OH! WE COULD CUT AND STYLE AND COLOR AND USE PRODUCT AND YOU'D BE A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PERSON!!!!!"

Um... but I like the person I am....

(I have actually told hairstylists and fashionista sorts that - the looks in response seem to range from shock to horror to disbelief, as if they had never met a woman who was happy with who she was before...) ...
Kudos to you for standing up for yourself to the "hairstylists and fashionista sorts". I obviously lack full context here, but I imagine they were giving you unsolicited advice about how they could "improve" your appearance and trying to upsell you with treatments and products that you didn't want. I should actually start a full independent thread on this topic, but I will state here that I think this is something that you should be taught in cosmetology school not to do and that salons should have a policy of banning such behavior. Specifically, as long as a person just wants to maintain their current style, they should just give you what you want, and not try to get you to change your look in any way. If you do want a change, there is space for some advice or feedback within reason (e.g. being told of potential disadvantages of your projected style, or that what you want won't work with your hair type), and even in certain cases refusing to make the requested change for you (e.g. if you want a treatment that could result in damaging or destroying the hair, like e.g. a severe chemical treatment). But I think as long as you request the same thing every time, they should just do it without question and even gently suggesting any kind of change should be considered bad form and an attack on your personality (and people should have the assertiveness to refuse hairdressers' unsolicited advice to change something about their appearance and IMO, quite frankly, not tolerate it from them). Tsk!...to question that a woman would be happy with herself. How arrogant and potentially hurtful.

Just to illustrate what I mean by proper form, I will give two examples of how I think hairdressers should be required to behave; basically the same thing (and I may re-use these examples in a later, more dedicated post), but with different parameters. So first example: a woman with mid-back-length, naturally ash brown hair that's starting to go gray chooses a hairdresser and comes to them every 4 or so months to have about 2 inches trimmed off. 20 years later, she is still going to the same hairdresser. Assuming she never asked the hairdresser to do anything more than trim off those 2 inches, or ever identified any other kind of need, at no time during those 20 years should the hairdresser ever suggest, even casually or gently, that she is "too old" (Tsk, tsk!!!) for such long hair", that she try layers, that she begin highlighting her hair or even covering the grays, etc. Whatever he/she thinks of the woman's hair, he/she should just trim her hair, keep his/her opinions to him/herself, and let the woman go her way.

Second example. Imagine it's 1962. A 21-year-old woman goes to her 21-year-old hairdresser and asks her to style her hair like Mary Tyler Moore's from the Dick Van Dyke show. The hairdresser obliges. Now it's 2019 and both ladies are, what, 78, and the former has been having the latter do her hair all that time and always requesting the same Mary Tyler Moore hairstyle. Despite all the changes in fashion, at no point should the hairdresser do anything but giver her that same hairstyle, or even comment on it somehow being out of fashion, assuming the customer does not herself show an interest in updating her look.

My point is that people should be allowed to be themselves, not be encouraged to conform to someone else's standards, be put in a position where they are forced to say "no" to unsolicited offers to do something to their body (and possibly spend more money) or be made to feel inadequate for who they are. I like a saying I found on another website, something like "I wasn't born to paint your world". IMO, customers should not only not bow down to this kind of pressure; they should not tolerate it but should speak up toward those who would change something about them without them having asked for advice on the matter. It should simply be considered as a rude behavior.

BTW, I am 40 years old and have been cutting my own hair (before long, I settled on a man-bob) since I was a student. So not my problem, but if I were to start using the services of a hairdresser, I would set some strict parameters about how not to communicate with me early on.

Last edited by The Maple Leaf; 11-25-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:39 PM

My hair and clothes are already to my taste, and I have no interest in being trendy or popular. I'm also very, very much a creature of habit, which means that change is a bad thing. So, hard no.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:54 PM

Nah, by morning the makeup would be gone, the nail polish would be chipping off, and the hairstyle would be frumping back into a normal loose fall. I wouldn't wear the fancy new duds except to special occasions, and I haven't had a special occasion in years. If any of this makeover included a new diet or a workout routine, that would be out the window too. So what would be the point?

Last edited by Two Many Cats; 11-25-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
All right, I am small, but overly busty. The turtlenecks on my type of body give an illusion of more bulk, because more material. To look taller and less dumpy, I am supposed to wear v-necks or some other neckline that goes down low, for the sake of minimizing. And, you know, they are right, these do make me look less busty, along with taller and less dumpy. But I'm cold.

The scarves also add bulk if worn for warmth, because they're wrapped around my neck. The way I am supposed to wear a scarf, for illusion purposes, is in such a way that they hang below my (lower) neckline, and if there's any kind of nkot it should be well below the bust line--but that's not the way I wear them. I wrap them around my neck a couple of times and then tie them and the result is that the thickest part of the scarf is right where it shouldn't be.

But the hell with it.

ETA this was answering Manson1972
Thanks, but there are many words there that I don't understand. Probably because I know little about fashion and am a man. I wasn't aware that people wore winter scarves when they weren't wearing a coat anyway.

Thanks for answering though!
Old 11-26-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maple Leaf View Post

BTW, I am 40 years old and have been cutting my own hair (before long, I settled on a man-bob) since I was a student. So not my problem, but if I were to start using the services of a hairdresser, I would set some strict parameters about how not to communicate with me early on.
FWIW, I just turned 58. I’m female and have long, thick hair (I can almost sit on it). I’ve worn it this way since college, and I have never colored it. It’s now a sort of mid-brown with grey ‘highlights’. I get my hair trimmed professionally about once a year, mostly to tidy up my bangs correctly. I do my own trims here and there as necessary.

I have NEVER had a stylist suggest that I need to do anything else than what I ask. They will sometimes ask me for clarification on length, or whether I want a blunt cut or a bit of shape to the bottom, but that’s it. No comments about the grey, the appropriateness of long hair on a woman my age, how a style would suit me better - nothing.

Now, the last facial I treated myself to (and only the 3rd in my life) the lady did push much too hard to let her reshape my eyebrows. One “No, thank you”from me was not enough, and I will not go back to her. I don’t wear makeup, I don’t pluck brows, and my reason for a facial is because it feels good, not a vain attempt to make me look different.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:34 PM

I've never had a makeover, exactly, but I've had my makeup done professionally a couple of times, and I never really liked the result. I have dark eyes and otherwise light coloring; I feel like anything more than the most subtle eye makeup is too dramatic. But the pros always want to give me smoky eyes or match my shadow to my irises and I end up looking like I've been in a fight. Or at least I think so; everyone else seems to think I look great. I did my own makeup for my wedding and I'm really happy with that decision.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Thanks, but there are many words there that I don't understand. Probably because I know little about fashion and am a man. I wasn't aware that people wore winter scarves when they weren't wearing a coat anyway.

Thanks for answering though!
They are not winter scarves. They might be silk squares, either big ones or somewhat smaller ones. They might be long rectangular cotton scarves. Or, in the winter, they might be cashmere. I do save the bulky wool ones for outdoors, with a coat or with a down vest.

But people do wear winter scarves when not wearing a coat. I worked with a Russian who always had sme big fluffy thing around her neck.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:00 AM

Did a glamour photo thing with my mother years ago, free makeover with photos. It was fun. Otherwise, I don't even bother with makeup.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

I'm a dorky nerd, and I know I will always look like a dorky nerd no matter what. But put me in high quality clothes and I will increase my attractiveness by a minimum 50%. I used to have to dress up in such ways when I acted in my community theatre, I admit I looked amazing when I was properly attired, but it's expensive and inconvenient to do that in real life. I certainly believe that if I was wealthier I'd also be healthier, and I'd make sure to dress really nicely, as guided by experts.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:40 PM

I am a woman and my head is full of crap about how I should dress, how small I should be and what is appropriate in society. It is hard but I am learning how to reject all that noise in my head. It starts with throwing out your high heels!
Old 11-27-2019, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

I must admit, they will get my high heels when they pry them off my cold, dead, Barbie-like feet.
Old 11-27-2019, 02:17 PM

I would love to see what an expert might try, if given the chance. I wouldn't keep up with it though. Like you I don't wear make up or jewelry, and my hair is kept straight (I often straighten it, but due to it being particularly thin that takes about two minutes). I've started wearing nail polish because I recently switched from food service to an office job and am having a little fun, plus it keeps me from chewing my nails (a horrible habit I've nurtured since forever). But I have no desire to spend money for someone to paint them for me.

I've also started caring more about what I wear after losing a shit ton of weight. It's awesome having a wider range of clothes that look flattering on me. I don't get super into brands though - I rummage through Plato's Closet and Goodwill, lol.