Old 11-20-2019, 09:48 PM

I'm just glad that there are still a few places that exist where we are allowed to poke fun at Trump. Twitter has gotten ridiculous.
The other day, a famous movie celeb on twitter (who is famous for making fun of Trump with humor) was discussing his sudden (and ridiculous ) partial check-up visit to Walter Reed.

I replied to the conversation, @FamousDoucheNozzle So, heart attack, stroke, or did he attempt suicide? "Hamberders aren't very good for you, Donald. "

Twitter notified me that I violated their targeted harassment TOS. I appealed, saying that I was joking and that this was political humor. "Nope. It's been reviewed. You're guilty. Delete it immediately and we will leave a Permanent Placeholder to show that YOU have violated TOS. Heil Dorsey! (Ok, I added that last part).

In truth, I hope that this was Twitter being a Dick. I'd hate to think that it was @FamousDoucheNozzle...
Old 11-20-2019, 09:58 PM

You know you can have your own personal web site, video hosting, twitter like application, or anything else you want online in order to poke fun at Trump, right?
Old 11-21-2019, 01:51 AM

Timeline:
July — Trump calls President Z, almost explicitly asking for a quid pro quo
August — Whistleblower informs us that Trump asked for quid pro quo in the phone call
September — Trump says "I want nothing No quid pro quo" into telephone
(November — Trump addresses cameras and rants from a script "I want nothing I want nothing I want nothing I want nothing")

Jordan and the other stooges seem to think the September denial is a big gotcha that refutes the whole accusation. Did anyone ask the Idiots whether September comes before August on their calendars?
Old 11-21-2019, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
You know you can have your own personal web site, video hosting, twitter like application, or anything else you want online in order to poke fun at Trump, right?

Yes, but like sex, it's much more fun with other people.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:22 AM

Discussing this with a friend yesterday and he said quid pro quo is a normal part of international diplomatic negotiations and there is nothing wrong with it. I pointed out that the difference here is that the President was using it for personal gain and not for furthering national interests, and that amounts to bribery, which is breaking the law.

The nut of this whole affair seems to be hinged on the President's quid pro quo with Ukraine can be PROVEN to be for his personal gain. Sondland testified quid pro quo was out in the open but was not sure of the details. It's those details we need to see to know how strong the case is. We will need to wait and see if this results in anything at all or if the Democrats overplayed their hand (again).
Old 11-21-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthx View Post
Discussing this with a friend yesterday and he said quid pro quo is a normal part of international diplomatic negotiations and there is nothing wrong with it. I pointed out that the difference here is that the President was using it for personal gain and not for furthering national interests, and that amounts to bribery, which is breaking the law.
Wikipedia on quid pro quo. In the US legal system, quid pro quo is generally understood to refer to illegal agreements of the sort you describe, i.e. parties outside the US government providing money or services that benefit US government officials personally, in exchange for official government actions that benefit those outside parties.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
Wikipedia on quid pro quo. In the US legal system, quid pro quo is generally understood to refer to illegal agreements of the sort you describe, i.e. parties outside the US government providing money or services that benefit US government officials personally, in exchange for official government actions that benefit those outside parties.
Funny how the GOP narrative has swung from "no quid pro quo" to "quid pro quos are normal and great!"

And once it's been definitively established that this particular quid pro quo was neither normal nor great, because the beneficiary was only Trump and not the nation as a whole, they'll move the goalposts to "investigating political rivals is normal and great!"
Old 11-21-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundane Super Hero View Post
I'm just glad that there are still a few places that exist where we are allowed to poke fun at Trump. Twitter has gotten ridiculous.
The other day, a famous movie celeb on twitter (who is famous for making fun of Trump with humor) was discussing his sudden (and ridiculous ) partial check-up visit to Walter Reed.

I replied to the conversation, @FamousDoucheNozzle So, heart attack, stroke, or did he attempt suicide? "Hamberders aren't very good for you, Donald. "

Twitter notified me that I violated their targeted harassment TOS. I appealed, saying that I was joking and that this was political humor. "Nope. It's been reviewed. You're guilty. Delete it immediately and we will leave a Permanent Placeholder to show that YOU have violated TOS. Heil Dorsey! (Ok, I added that last part).

In truth, I hope that this was Twitter being a Dick. I'd hate to think that it was @FamousDoucheNozzle...
Twitter pulled similar shit on me, until I finally got banned. But if you are a fascist, a Nazi, a Trumpy, a far far right, etc etc ...

If you tell the right lies and peddle the right fucking bullshit, you don't hear a peep.

Fuck Twitter.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaj View Post
Funny how the GOP narrative has swung from "no quid pro quo" to "quid pro quos are normal and great!"

And once it's been definitively established that this particular quid pro quo was neither normal nor great, because the beneficiary was only Trump and not the nation as a whole, they'll move the goalposts to "investigating political rivals is normal and great!"
It's already happening with a lot of "I can do what the fuck I want" in there too.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:38 AM

"It's not a crime if the president does it" -R. Nixon
Old 11-21-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
It's already happening with a lot of "I can do what the fuck I want" in there too.
Funny how a lot of the same people who now seem to believe the president can do whatever the fuck he wants were, just a few years ago, accusing Obama of tyranny.

Last edited by Akaj; 11-21-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:29 AM

we have always been at war with eastasia

Last edited by Trancephalic; 11-21-2019 at 11:31 AM. Reason: the past is alterable
Old 11-21-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaj View Post
Funny how a lot of the same people who now seem to believe the president can do whatever the fuck he wants were, just a few years ago, accusing Obama of tyranny.
That's because Obama went door-to-door and confiscated everybody's guns.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:47 AM

This is old but continues to be relevant so for those who haven't seen it: it's an Art Buchwald column from 1973 setting out standard responses from Nixon supporters arguing why Nixon shouldn't be investigated/impeached. Several of them sounds disturbingly familiar - for example, just substitute "Benghazi" for "Chappaquiddick".
Old 11-21-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
For what it's worth, Sondland came off (to me, at least) as very likable and comfortable in the situation. He did not seem overly prepared (perhaps too a fault?) but that only helped his credibility. I don't think he was lying during the earlier deposition either, although we only have the transcript of that one he does seem like the person who flies by the seat of his pants and is comfortable walking into a meeting unprepared, taking no notes, and getting through on personality. I'm also not a note taker, but I rely heavily on my email history to reconstruct previous conversations, and he really does seem hamstrung by not having access to that.
I don't know it appeared a bit smarmy to me.

My impression of him is that he went into the deposition with the understanding that everyone would say that there was no quid pro quo protect the president, but then we he read that everyone else had told the truth, he realized that as the only person who said otherwise, he could find himself sharing a cell with Stone, Gates, and Cohen and all of the others who were convicted of lying to Congress.

So he quickly revised his testimony to say, I don't remember a thing, but agree with whatever anyone else said. figuring that this way he would be sure not to contradict anyone and so be safe from perjury.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 11-21-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:29 PM

Yes, Sondland's first priority was very likely "don't get convicted of perjury". I think the Stone conviction rattled him, combined with the other witnesses contradicting his original version of events; pretty much all the Trump campaign convictions have included counts of lying under oath so Sondland could see which way the wind was blowing.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margin View Post
If a white dude does not proclaim, "I hereby confirm and proclaim that it was my intent and ambition to commit: murder, arson, rape, etc., etc..,
Sounds like the list you're searching for is "Rape, murder, arson, and rape."
Old 11-21-2019, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtC View Post
Sounds like the list you're searching for is "Rape, murder, arson, and rape."
You said rape twice.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
You said rape twice.
Personally, I prefer stampeding cattle through the Vatican.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:59 PM

Hush, CaptMurdock! That's a sure way to get him killed!

Last edited by Mr. Greenjeans; 11-21-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
You said rape twice.
[insert Blazing Saddles punch line here which might get be banned]
Old 11-21-2019, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

The president is a ni :bong: ncompoop!
Old 11-21-2019, 04:40 PM

When it is available, I recommend everyone watch both Nunes' and Schiff's closing statements from the deposition today. In particular, pay attention to who had to read from notes and who didn't, and who actually addressed facts instead of complaining about how "unfair" the whole process is.

Schiff's 15 minute speech gave me chills.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:20 PM

Pompeii hasn't been in the news this much since 79 AD.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:07 PM

If you want to know where American "democrativity" is headed, this is probably a glimpse into our future:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfEDSajX_1Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIsblYNVdoo

Last edited by asahi; 11-21-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walken After Midnight View Post
I guess their referring to Mike Pompeo’s entire family. Or using the “royal we”?
Old 11-22-2019, 07:21 AM

If only these were the "last days of Pompeo"...
Old 11-22-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
If only these were the "last days of Pompeo"...
It's reported that he might be running for the Senate to try and escape the pyroclastic flow of the impeachment volcano. He doesn't look like he could run that fast.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walken After Midnight View Post
It's reported that he might be running for the Senate to try and escape the pyroclastic flow of the impeachment volcano. He doesn't look like he could run that fast.
And a primary matchup with the execrable Kris Kobach. A poster at another board who works extensively in local Kansas politics said that Republicans should not be taking that state for granted in the future.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
I'm disappointed that there is to date no mooooing in these hearing. My $1000 campaign donation offer stands to any democrat who calls out every point Nunes tries to make, "Moooooooot".
[...]
#MooToo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post
I’m not very well versed in what’s going on but if I understand events correctly, Trump’s pretty well fucked, right? I mean, even if the Senate doesn’t impeach him (which, thanks to #MoscowMitch, it almost certainly won’t) he’s going to prison once he leaves office, right?
I hope so too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
I think that they are actively hostile to democracy and the rule of law because it means that non-whites have a say in the ordering of society.
Just what the Atlantic wrote last week. I am afraid it sounds credible.
Quote:
Of course I do! What is there to object about my hobby?
Quote:
Twitter pulled similar shit on me, until I finally got banned. But if you are a fascist, a Nazi, a Trumpy, a far far right, etc etc ...

If you tell the right lies and peddle the right fucking bullshit, you don't hear a peep.

Fuck Twitter.
Yes indeed!
Old 11-22-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
You said rape twice.
That way he could give something up in bargaining.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
That's because Obama went door-to-door and confiscated everybody's guns.
... and then used Operation Blue Helmet and U.N. troops to send us all to FEMA death camps.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMurdock View Post
Personally, I prefer stampeding cattle through the Vatican.
"Now I don’t have to tell you good folks what’s been happening in our beloved little town. Sheriff murdered, crops burned, stores looted, people stampeded, and cattle raped."
Old 11-22-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardel-Lux View Post
#MooToo!

I hope so too.

Just what the Atlantic wrote last week. I am afraid it sounds credible.

Of course I do! What is there to object about my hobby?

Yes indeed!

Bravo! I love a hearty laugh in the morning!
Old 11-22-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
"Now I don’t have to tell you good folks what’s been happening in our beloved little town. Sheriff murdered, crops burned, stores looted, people stampeded, and cattle raped."
Time for some Authentic Frontier Gibberish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post

Want a laurel to go with it?

Last edited by CaptMurdock; 11-22-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post

So very kind of you, I thought that is what the Pit was for
Old 11-23-2019, 04:08 AM

So, looks like there may be method to Nunes' dickery...
surely he should recuse himself in light of this, if true?

Last edited by MrDibble; 11-23-2019 at 04:08 AM.
Old 11-23-2019, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
<dry tone> Nunes doesn't have as much integrity as Sessions. </dt>
Old 11-23-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Nah. He'll just run off to the White House and cry in Trump's lap. Again.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:54 PM

Rudy Colludi says he's got insurance if Trump throws him under the bus.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Rudy Colludi says he's got insurance if Trump throws him under the bus.
DA MAYOR: The Deep State's got nuthin on Trump...but I doooo, tee hee hee
Old 11-27-2019, 07:05 AM

Looks like Trump is throwing Rudy under the bus

I posted this link in the Elections thread, thought I'd put it here as well:

Trump distances himself from Giuliani's Ukraine efforts

From an interview with Bill O'Reilly

O'Reilly: "So you didn't direct him to go to Ukraine to do anything or put any heat on them?"
Trump: "No, I didn't direct him, but he's a warrior, Rudy's a warrior."

O'Reilly asked the president what Giuliani was "doing in Ukraine on your behalf."
Trump: "Well, you have to ask that to Rudy, but Rudy, I don't, I don't even know... But, you know, Rudy has other clients, other than me. I'm one person."

Of course, in May Giuliani told the New York Times "My only client is the president of the United States. He's the one I have an obligation to report to, tell him what happened."

I'm surprised Trump didn't say "I barely know the guy, I think I've met him once."

Last edited by Bumbershoot; 11-27-2019 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:59 AM

Boy, there sure are lots of coffee boys in this administration.
They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:08 AM
A Rather Dubious Fellow Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Timeline:
July — Trump calls President Z, almost explicitly asking for a quid pro quo
August — Whistleblower informs us that Trump asked for quid pro quo in the phone call
September — Trump says "I want nothing No quid pro quo" into telephone
(November — Trump addresses cameras and rants from a script "I want nothing I want nothing I want nothing I want nothing")

Jordan and the other stooges seem to think the September denial is a big gotcha that refutes the whole accusation. Did anyone ask the Idiots whether September comes before August on their calendars?
All of you will surely be as shocked--SHOCKED!--as I was to learn that POTUS* had been briefed on the existence of the whistleblower complaint in "late August," prior to the famous "I am specifically NOT COMMITTING THIS SPECIFIC IMPROPRIETY, and I would like to REPEAT THAT FOR THE RECORD" phone call with Sondland:

Trump Knew of Whistle-Blower Complaint When He Released Aid to Ukraine
[New York Times story in non-paywalled form via MSN]

Quote:
WASHINGTON — President Trump had already been briefed on a whistle-blower’s complaint about his dealings with Ukraine when he unfroze military aid for the country in September, according to two people familiar with the matter.

Lawyers from the White House counsel’s office told Mr. Trump in late August about the complaint, explaining that they were trying to determine whether they were legally required to give it to Congress, the people said.

The revelation could shed light on Mr. Trump’s thinking at two critical points under scrutiny by impeachment investigators: his decision in early September to release $391 million in security assistance to Ukraine and his denial to a key ambassador around the same time that there was a “quid pro quo” with Kyiv. Mr. Trump used the phrase before it had entered the public lexicon in the Ukraine affair.

[story continues ....]
Shocked. Such totally-normal phrasing in that phone call, hard to believe an ulterior motive was at play.

Last edited by mjmlabs; 11-27-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:34 PM

So this happened: The Deutsche Bank executive who signed off on Trump's loans - the loans currently under investigation - has committed suicide.

Probably not nefarious, but the timing ain't great. His wife died in 2017 (from "unknown causes", according to the article) so perhaps the investigation was a final straw.

Or, you know, something else.