#1  
Old 11-28-2019, 04:20 PM
MacSpon is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,075

Brushing Teeth and Rinsing


I just saw my dental hygienist today, and I was thunderstruck when she informed me that I shouldn't rinse my mouth out after brushing my teeth. I have never, ever heard this before, and I wasn't happy about it because, frankly, I'm not fond of the taste of toothpaste in my mouth. But I could sort of see the sense of it: that the toothpaste might a bit more good if it's actually left on the teeth.

However, on the way out, I noticed that there was a bowl of mini toothpaste samplers on the counter, and I picked one up. There on the instructions on the back of the tube was, "Rinse after brushing with a small amount of water."

This is a pretty mixed message, all within the same dental practice!

Any thoughts / experience? Rinse or not?!
  #2  
Old 11-28-2019, 04:39 PM
TheCuse is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 176
I've always rinsed with a little bit of water. Was told at a young age that rinsing with a lot of water strips off the fluoride from the toothpaste or something.
  #3  
Old 11-28-2019, 05:24 PM
Chefguy's Avatar
Chefguy is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 42,824
Always. For one thing, it says not to swallow this stuff right on the toothpaste box/tube. Additionally, I have all my teeth at age 72 and my dentist says they'll outlive me.
  #4  
Old 11-28-2019, 05:55 PM
Majestic Lee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 111
I always rinsed for the same reason you say, but was advised by my hygienist not to because of the protective effect of fluoride. You do get used to it after a bit.
  #5  
Old 11-28-2019, 06:10 PM
MacSpon is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,075
Sounds like the best might be to rinse a little (to help get the excess out of your mouth) but not a lot (so as to leave some protective action from the toothpaste)?
  #6  
Old 11-28-2019, 06:16 PM
pulykamell is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 48,195
I rinse, but my dentist has also advised not to.
  #7  
Old 11-28-2019, 07:05 PM
CookingWithGas's Avatar
CookingWithGas is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Tysons Corner, VA, USA
Posts: 13,506
Wait. They put fluoride in the water.
__________________
Making the world a better place one fret at a time.
| | |會 |會 |會 |會 | |:| | |會 |會
  #8  
Old 11-28-2019, 07:27 PM
Hickory Joe is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 7
I always rinse thoroughly after brushing. The plaque that gets brushed off needs to exit the mouth.
  #9  
Old 11-28-2019, 08:36 PM
lingyi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,190
Lots of links stating don't rinse after brushing: https://www.google.com/search?q=pron...hrome&ie=UTF-8 Most talk about removing the fluoride from the toothpaste.

Several years ago, my dentist prescribed Crest ProHealth, supposedly stronger than off the shelf and he said not to rinse. It was less foamy than regular toothpaste and tasted nasty.
  #10  
Old 11-28-2019, 08:45 PM
MacSpon is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,075
Well, well, I live and learn.
(Sometimes I learn! )
  #11  
Old 11-28-2019, 08:55 PM
elfkin477 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NH
Posts: 22,832
I don't rinse, but only because my water isn't drinkable and either bringing a glass of water into the bathroom with me or leaving the room to get one after is too much of a bother.
  #12  
Old 11-28-2019, 11:05 PM
Senegoid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 14,964
I have a bottle of prescription-only germ-killing stuff to rinse with. The label is very careful to say it is a mouth rinse not a mouthwash. Instructions also specifically say to NOT rinse with water after using for 30 minutes, but also to NOT swallow any of the stuff.

I suppose this means all those nasty germies get dead little by little over 30 minutes, not instantly upon contact. Maybe the same logic applies to toothpaste (either with regard to killing germs, or with regard to the fluoride bonding to tooth enamel to become permanently effective) ?

(BTW, the stuff is reputed to taste awful, but it doesn't at all. It takes like very dilute Scope mouthwash, IMHO.)
__________________
=========================================
  #13  
Old 11-29-2019, 12:18 AM
Roderick Femm's Avatar
Roderick Femm is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: On the cusp, also in SF
Posts: 7,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookingWithGas View Post
Wait. They put fluoride in the water.
Which is why my dentist's hygienist told me it's better not to use toothpaste at all, it makes you think your teeth are clean (due to the minty taste) before they really are.

I make it a habit to routinely ignore anything any dental hygienist says, including about flossing. I too have all my own teeth at age 70.
  #14  
Old 11-29-2019, 01:05 AM
Die Capacitrix's Avatar
Die Capacitrix is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 172
Dental hygienist says not to rinse. She also told me that if I want to get the best result from the fluoride treatment, to wait 30 minutes after brushing.

Fluoride treatment is a gel which I apply to my teeth, let it sit for 2 minutes and then spit. There's no fluoride in the water here, it's in the salt, along with the iodine.

My teeth are not so wonderful, and I grew up in an area that did not have fluoride in the water at the time. And the water was soft, so I didn't get the mineralization that some people, who have well water, get.
  #15  
Old 11-29-2019, 09:52 AM
Chefguy's Avatar
Chefguy is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 42,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
I have a bottle of prescription-only germ-killing stuff to rinse with. The label is very careful to say it is a mouth rinse not a mouthwash. Instructions also specifically say to NOT rinse with water after using for 30 minutes, but also to NOT swallow any of the stuff.

I suppose this means all those nasty germies get dead little by little over 30 minutes, not instantly upon contact. Maybe the same logic applies to toothpaste (either with regard to killing germs, or with regard to the fluoride bonding to tooth enamel to become permanently effective) ?

(BTW, the stuff is reputed to taste awful, but it doesn't at all. It takes like very dilute Scope mouthwash, IMHO.)
Your body produces its own microbe killer. It's called saliva. The reason one has "death breath" in the morning is because, like some other functions, the body stops producing saliva while you're asleep and without it, bacteria have a party in your mouth. They produce, among others, one called 'cadaverine', which is as unpleasant as it sounds.
  #16  
Old 11-29-2019, 10:05 AM
Mallard is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 333
I always Listerine, gargle and spit after brushing. So far, no problems.
  #17  
Old 11-29-2019, 10:30 AM
TheCuse is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
Several years ago, my dentist prescribed Crest ProHealth, supposedly stronger than off the shelf and he said not to rinse. It was less foamy than regular toothpaste and tasted nasty.
My dentist recommended the same toothpaste years ago as well. I've used it ever since.
  #18  
Old 11-29-2019, 12:03 PM
BrickBat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: US
Posts: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory Joe View Post
I always rinse thoroughly after brushing. The plaque that gets brushed off needs to exit the mouth.
Exactly. The plaque and all the other nasty stuff as well. I'd feel almost as unclean as if I didn't brush if i didn't rinse.

Washing machines have rinse cycles so we don't dry and wear clothes with a mixture of soap/dirt. Same with washing dishes, either in a automatic dishwasher or by hand. It's unsanitary not to rinse. I remember eating dinner over my aunt's neighbor house once: she'd wash dishes in the sink by dunking them and then scrubbing them in hot soapy water, then she'd pull the plate/cup/glass out of that mess and just dry it off. Ughh!
  #19  
Old 11-29-2019, 01:07 PM
control-z is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 13,024
I rinse vigorously, swishing the water around in my mouth to help remove anything in between my teeth that my brushing didn't get. And I hate tasting toothpaste.
  #20  
Old 11-29-2019, 01:36 PM
Llama Llogophile is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: 50% chord point
Posts: 4,096
Huh. Last I recall, the conventional wisdom was that toothpaste doesn't really matter, it's the mechanical effect of brushing.

Whatever. I'm still rinsing.
  #21  
Old 11-29-2019, 02:57 PM
Just Ed is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
I have a bottle of prescription-only germ-killing stuff to rinse with. The label is very careful to say it is a mouth rinse not a mouthwash. Instructions also specifically say to NOT rinse with water after using for 30 minutes, but also to NOT swallow any of the stuff.
Yep, fluoride rinse, available OTC (probably at a lesser strength) as ACT or several generics (Amazon even has their own). My routine is to use Listerine before brushing to loosen and "prep" the teeth, rinse thoroughly with water and then rinse with the fluoride stuff.
  #22  
Old 11-29-2019, 05:05 PM
teela brown is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Almost Silicon Valley
Posts: 9,619
I am NOT going to not rinse after brushing. What, leave all that slobbery foam in my mouth? GAH. It makes me a little nauseated just to think of it.

That gel fluoride treatment sounds fine, though. Smear some gel on your teeth and leave it there? I could do that.
  #23  
Old 11-29-2019, 05:18 PM
ASL v2.0's Avatar
ASL v2.0 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Various
Posts: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post
I am NOT going to not rinse after brushing. What, leave all that slobbery foam in my mouth? GAH. It makes me a little nauseated just to think of it.
I mean... you could just spit it out, right? Without rinsing?

It’s never even occurred to me to rinse after brushing my teeth.

Last edited by ASL v2.0; 11-29-2019 at 05:19 PM.
  #24  
Old 11-29-2019, 07:38 PM
dontbesojumpy is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,308
So one factor in this that has come to light after moving in w my SO is that some people have a massive, frothy brushing session and some people don't froth up at all.

When I brush, it froths like whipped cream. In fact, I have a nice electric brush that if I run it for the full timed cycle (it shuts off when you're supposed to stop brushing), I can't hold all the frothy toothpaste foam in my mouth because there's too much.

My SO on the other hand has no froth and doesn't rinse. She barely has anything left to spit out.

She also doesn't wet her brush (or run water over the toothpaste) before brushing, which I think is a factor.

I'll also add that having a beard collects a lot of foam that needs to be rinsed.

I thought she was psychotic for not rinsing and ran a poll amongst friends. Generally people rinsed, few didn't, and the professional dental workers said some people do, some don't and didn't have much of a strong opinion on if you should or not (in a practical sense. As mentioned upthread they'll sure tell you what 'you SHOULD' do, kind of in that preachy if-you-want-to-be-perfect way, but in a practical sense seemed to indicate it wasn't a big deal).
  #25  
Old 11-30-2019, 01:28 AM
actualliberalnotoneofthose is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,446
I use non minty toothpaste that doesn't foam. I rinse. Sometimes I use a mouthwash (or maybe it's called mouth rinse) after brushing and it always says on those not to rinse and wait 30 mins before drinking or eating. I always rinse with water eventually because I like tasting food.
  #26  
Old 11-30-2019, 02:10 AM
ASL v2.0's Avatar
ASL v2.0 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Various
Posts: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by actualliberalnotoneofthose View Post
I use non minty toothpaste that doesn't foam. I rinse. Sometimes I use a mouthwash (or maybe it's called mouth rinse) after brushing and it always says on those not to rinse and wait 30 mins before drinking or eating. I always rinse with water eventually because I like tasting food.
You brush before you eat?
  #27  
Old 11-30-2019, 05:57 AM
PookahMacPhellimey is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Italy
Posts: 2,202
I was also taught to rinse after brushing, but saw the advice not to rinse in a leaflet in my dentist's waiting room.
  #28  
Old 11-30-2019, 07:05 AM
Broomstick's Avatar
Broomstick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 29,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbesojumpy View Post
Generally people rinsed, few didn't, and the professional dental workers said some people do, some don't and didn't have much of a strong opinion on if you should or not (in a practical sense. As mentioned upthread they'll sure tell you what 'you SHOULD' do, kind of in that preachy if-you-want-to-be-perfect way, but in a practical sense seemed to indicate it wasn't a big deal).
Based on some other threads we've had on dental topics, I think that while the professionals will tell you the preferred/perfect way to do things they're much more concerned that you brush regularly than the exact perfection of your technique. If you only brush once a week it doesn't matter much if you do it perfectly. If you brush 2-3 times a day then maybe it's time to pretty up how you do it but hey, if you are at least brushing that often you're doing better than some people.
  #29  
Old 11-30-2019, 12:15 PM
pulykamell is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 48,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
Lots of links stating don't rinse after brushing: https://www.google.com/search?q=pron...hrome&ie=UTF-8 Most talk about removing the fluoride from the toothpaste.

Several years ago, my dentist prescribed Crest ProHealth, supposedly stronger than off the shelf and he said not to rinse. It was less foamy than regular toothpaste and tasted nasty.
Crest ProHealth uses stannous fluoride instead of sodium fluoride. There are a number of toothpastes out there right now that use stannous fluoride--you have to read the label. It appears to have had a resurgence in popularity over the last few years. From what I've read, it used to be problematic because it stained your teeth, but supposedly it is better for various dental and gum conditions than sodium fluoride. They've fixed the staining part, so I assume that's why we're seeing more toothpastes with stannous fluoride in them. Anecdotally, I switched to stannous without telling my dentist and it seems to have improved my gum health enough for her to ask whether I changed my brushing/flossing routine. As for the taste, I didn't notice it tasting any better or worse than any other toothpaste, but I'm not taste sensitive when it comes to things like toothpastes, oral rinses, and medicine. (Hell, I actually like original flavor Listerine, not that wimpy mint stuff.)
  #30  
Old 11-30-2019, 02:08 PM
Anny Middon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,253
On the advice of more than one dental hygienist, I use a Waterpik. Since I use it after brushing, it rinses my mouth. Any remaining toothpaste is removed by the mouthwash rinse I conclude my dental hygiene with.
  #31  
Old 12-01-2019, 08:27 AM
albino_manatee's Avatar
albino_manatee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: enceladus-prime, nibiru
Posts: 243
floss … brush … rinse … 'nuff said.

p.s. i've read/heard toothpaste can actually 'eat' into the tooth enamel … go figure.
__________________
at one point in time, i was offered a wooden scīpiō (handstaff) after a time, i slowly 'n methodically whittled that cane down until it became one ginormous toothpick.

Last edited by albino_manatee; 12-01-2019 at 08:29 AM.
  #32  
Old 12-01-2019, 02:07 PM
Rushgeekgirl is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Memphis
Posts: 6,101
If you want the fluoride to have any effect don't rinse or drink anything for 30 minutes after you brush. Also mouthwash is better to be used before brushing to loosen up the bits. -- Advice I got 30 years ago from my dentist.
  #33  
Old 12-01-2019, 03:20 PM
MacSpon is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,075
My hygienist explicitly told me to not use mouthwash after brushing, because—again—it'll just wash away all that fluoride from the toothpaste.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017