Old 11-26-2019, 03:57 PM

What do you do with these newfangled enormous car keys?

I just traded in my fifteen year old car. It had a nice, simple, flat metal key that worked just fine, and fit nicely in my pocket. The new car has an electronic key fob the size of a small pot roast! Where the heck am I supposed to keep that? At home, sure, I can throw it on a shelf. But at work, at a store, at the park, I have to keep it on my person somehow. I don't carry a purse, and only occasionally have a backpack on me. So I have to stuff this MONSTER into my trouser pocket where it makes a lump like a stage-four goiter.

I'm hoping someone has come up with a solution for this annoying first-world problem. Thanks!
Old 11-26-2019, 04:01 PM

I've got a carabiner on my belt hinge-up that my keyring is clipped to, but most people don't like walking around with their keys out like a janitor.

How do you feel about lanyards?
Old 11-26-2019, 04:09 PM

The fob to my 2017 VW fits in the front pocket of my pants no problem. In the same pocket (and about the same size as) my inhaler. Of course, I've made an effort to get rid of any keys/ID cards I don't need, so I have only 2 other keys and one card.

Do you wear really tight pants or something?

5 years ago, I woulda been with you, questioning why anyone would need or even want car key technology more advanced than a mechanical car key. Now, I love not having to take my fob out of my pocket to open or start my car. I hope your present dissatisfaction is short-lived.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:12 PM

My used car came with only one of these and they cost a lot to duplicate. So I just keep it hidden in the car attached to a string. Now if you want to lock your car doors you can probably have the key duplicated to create the simple flat key you can keep your pocket, assuming the car just uses mechanical motion to open the door--not electronics.

Last edited by PastTense; 11-26-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Can you show a picture of the key fob? I've always put my electronic key fobs in my pocket, no problem. But the biggest one I've had looks like this: https://www.remotesremotes.com/produ...MaAsCUEALw_wcB

But I suppose there are people who wear super-tight jeans or leather pants, which come with these types challenges that I do not have to face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
So I have to stuff this MONSTER into my trouser .....
Well yeah I hear you there man.

Last edited by Ravenman; 11-26-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:14 PM

My giant fob fits in my pants pocket just fine. However my pants aren't painted on, so your mileage may vary.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
I've got a carabiner on my belt hinge-up that my keyring is clipped to, but most people don't like walking around with their keys out like a janitor.

How do you feel about lanyards?
Same here. I hate that wad of keys in my pocket, as it's either digging into my leg or I'm banging my hand on it while walking. Now it hangs off a belt loop.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:30 PM

Mine fits in my pocket fine as well, but I understand women's pants generally have smaller pockets than men's. And now I am honestly uncertain of the OP's gender. The username sounds masculine, but then the OP says "I don't carry a purse", which seems like something a man wouldn't feel the need to mention as it would just be considered a given that men don't normally carry purses. Unless that was meant as a joke.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 11-26-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:36 PM

Mine is in my pocket, but that’s a royal pain because it is significantly larger than the fob and key of my 2001 Honda CR-V.

Ever since the earthquake of ‘89 during the Bay Bridge Series, I always keep my keys on me when I’m up.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:38 PM

You gotta go even more new-fangled and get a car that just uses your phone as a key. (with credit-card sized back-up/valet key stored in your wallet).
Old 11-26-2019, 04:41 PM

And I shoule add, I love my newfangled car key. I never need to take them out of my pocket at all. I can just walk up to my car with the key in my pocket, press a button on the door handle, and it unlocks. Then I get in, press a button, and it starts. No need to fish around in my pocket and pull out my keys.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Surely your driver carries the keys.
Old 11-26-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
......How do you feel about lanyards?
That's not a bad idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
.....I hope your present dissatisfaction is short-lived.
Thanks; I'll probably just get used to it like all of life's other indignities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense View Post
......you can probably have the key duplicated to create the simple flat key you can keep your pocket, assuming the car just uses mechanical motion to open the door--not electronics.
That would probably work for many cars, but not mine. It doesn't even have key-holes in the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
Can you show a picture of the key fob? I've always put my electronic key fobs in my pocket, no problem. But the biggest one I've had looks like this: https://www.remotesremotes.com/produ...MaAsCUEALw_wcB.
That looks a lot like mine. I'm probably overreacting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Mine fits in my pocket fine as well, but I understand women's pants generally have smaller pockets than men's. And now I am honestly uncertain of the OP's gender. The username sounds masculine, but then the OP says "I don't carry a purse", which seems like something a man wouldn't feel the need to mention as it would just be considered a given that men don't normally carry purses. Unless that was meant as a joke.
I'm a man. I suppose I should have said "as a man, I don't carry a purse" but I figured the not-carrying-a-purse part was all that was really relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimeThink View Post
You gotta go even more new-fangled and get a car that just uses your phone as a key. (with credit-card sized back-up/valet key stored in your wallet).
Now THAT would be cool!

Thanks for all the replies and the suggestions.
Old 11-26-2019, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

I feel confident in writing that my pants are skinnier than OP's and the only time I've had a problem was when two of the big fobs are locked together on a too-short steel wire when renting a vehicle. The short wire loop doesn't let the fobs lay flat next to each other so it's like a half closed jack knife in my pocket.

I'll bet you get used to it in another week.
Old 11-26-2019, 05:37 PM

I used to keep my car key on the same keychain as my house key, the key to my filing cabinet, the key to my mom's house, etc. Now it's too large. I put it in my pocket, but it's not attached to anything. And it's not in my pocket when I am at home.
Old 11-26-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
...I have to stuff this MONSTER into my trouser pocket where it makes a lump like a stage-four goiter.
Dang, how high do you wear your trousers?!?

Anyhoo, I think the proper answer is a fanny pack.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:27 PM

My key fob and giantish key are on a wrist strap. So I wear it like a bracelet. No other keys on it. I don't carry a bag in a store. Just my card/cash and car-key/fob.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:33 PM

Is that a key fob in your pocket or are you just excited to see me?
Old 11-26-2019, 11:30 PM

This is why I don't have nice things!
Old 11-26-2019, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Anyhoo, I think the proper answer is a fanny pack.
There's nothing proper about a fanny pack.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:58 AM

I've thought that when I rent a car, when they marry TWO giant key fobs via a cable and you have to carry them both in a pants pocket. Seriously?
Example
Another

I mean.. it's the same key!

Last edited by squeegee; 11-27-2019 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 02:00 AM

AAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH the remote master key! In your second example sqeegee. What dipshit thought that was a good idea and that all the door locks but one should have NO key access?!? Fuckin engineers and marketing pogues...oughta be ... well can't say that here ...

Last edited by DorkVader; 11-27-2019 at 02:01 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 04:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnglmassiv View Post
I feel confident in writing that my pants are skinnier than OP's and the only time I've had a problem was when two of the big fobs are locked together on a too-short steel wire when renting a vehicle. The short wire loop doesn't let the fobs lay flat next to each other so it's like a half closed jack knife in my pocket.

I'll bet you get used to it in another week.
I love how the rental agencies give you two keys locked together like that. If you lose one, you lose both. And you can't break it apart so you and your spouse can each have a key to the rental car. We've taken to bringing wire cutters so we can separate them - otherwise it's pointless to give us both.

Of course a lot of agencies now just give one key (the last few times I've rented it's been that way).
Old 11-27-2019, 06:58 AM

Last time i rented we just got one key. And it had a switch that allowed us to put the key blade into the fob, like a pocket knife closes. That was an improvement over those horrible huge keys that are eager to put a hole in your pocket.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

I have no problem with a single remote/access fob in my pocket (Male here). The problem starts when you have multiple vehicles. We have 4, and carrying four of those monstrosities isn't an option. I bought 4 of the detachable keyrings and put an individual fob on half of each one, then my few other keys on the other half of one (and tossed the 3 unused halves, if that makes sense). The fobs hang on a key holder in the kitchen, and I grab the one I need for the vehicle I'm using, and mate it to my other keys on the way out.

All of us have a car (wife, daughter and me) and I have a truck also. Although we usually stick to our own cars, I frequently grab whatever vehicle is LIFO'd in the driveway stack for short errands.

Last edited by pullin; 11-27-2019 at 07:05 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
I've thought that when I rent a car, when they marry TWO giant key fobs via a cable and you have to carry them both in a pants pocket. Seriously?
Example
Another

I mean.. it's the same key!
Cars don't always go back to the same agency that rents them. They want to keep them together so that if/when they sell the car after a few years, they still have both keys.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:09 AM

Not a purse, definitely not a fannybag, I carry a pouch.

I liked it so much that I bought two more in different colors. It holds my wallet, keys, credit cards, cash, nail trimmers, pen, vape pen, knife, hearing aid batteries, notes, etc.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Not a purse, definitely not a fannybag, I carry a pouch.

I liked it so much that I bought two more in different colors. It holds my wallet, keys, credit cards, cash, nail trimmers, pen, vape pen, knife, hearing aid batteries, notes, etc.
Thank god it's tactical.

Honestly, the effort they go through in the pictures to establish "Not a purse!" is pretty funny. But it does look useful.

To the OP--I think the reason your gender matters is that if you were a woman who didn't carry a purse, you also don't reliably have pockets or belt loops. As a man, you likely do, which opens up those options.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin View Post
I have no problem with a single remote/access fob in my pocket (Male here). The problem starts when you have multiple vehicles. We have 4, and carrying four of those monstrosities isn't an option. I bought 4 of the detachable keyrings and put an individual fob on half of each one, then my few other keys on the other half of one (and tossed the 3 unused halves, if that makes sense). The fobs hang on a key holder in the kitchen, and I grab the one I need for the vehicle I'm using, and mate it to my other keys on the way out.

All of us have a car (wife, daughter and me) and I have a truck also. Although we usually stick to our own cars, I frequently grab whatever vehicle is LIFO'd in the driveway stack for short errands.
Wow, I was with you right up to the last sentence. Then there was a mental malfunction that sent me into the hypervolume of the tesseract for a second, and I was wondering why you had pancakes in your driveway...
Old 11-27-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post
Honestly, the effort they go through in the pictures to establish "Not a purse!" is pretty funny. But it does look useful.
But . . . it's not a purse!
Old 11-27-2019, 08:51 AM

It looks more like a camera case than like a purse.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin View Post

Yeah, we have two cars, and they both have giant keys, and we switch off between who uses each. And I've gone one step beyond you -- I no longer attach the car key to anything. It sits on its own in my pocket, like my pocketknife. And I only carry one at a time.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:31 AM

We keeps ours in our little pocketses. Precioussss.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:27 PM

My fob is attached to an old 8MB memory stick. On the occasions where it doesn't fit comfortably in my pocket, I can just slide the stick into my pocket and let the fob hang on the outside.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

I don't get why telephones got so thin I'm afraid to hold them for fear they'll break, yet car keys got so thick I have to compete with them for pants space.
Old 11-28-2019, 03:07 PM

I haven't read all the intervening posts, but wanted to comment - when we rented a car, we simply asked them to separate the two keys. They got out a lovely little heavy duty clipper and separated them for us. They warned us about the mega bucks they'd charge if we lost either of them. But they did not require us to keep them together.
Old 11-28-2019, 04:15 PM

On my two most recent vehicles, one had a far better key design than the other;

2011 Honda Element; the remote function was a separate dongle, and the plastic used was poor quality, it kept breaking at the keyring section, causing the remote fob to break off the keyring

2012 VW Golf TDI (my current daily); uses the ubiquitous "Switchblade" key design, where the key bit folds back into the fob, and is released with a switchblade-esque deployment button, the key "teeth" are also reverse-etched into the bit via laser, which makes the car nearly impossible to have the lock picked, the "teeth" are an irregular shaped groove on the inside of the bit

a far more elegant solution, and the switchblade mechanism is a great fidget tool to boot

it also takes up less pocket real-estate than a 2 piece key/fob setup.
Old 11-28-2019, 04:18 PM

I have a 2019 Jeep Cherokee and this is my first vehicle with a fob. I pretty much leave them on my computer desk when I'm home and at work I leave them on my desk. I used to keep the fob (which is good size) in my pocket, but sometimes it would trigger the panic alarm.
Old 11-29-2019, 11:43 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

My own car is old, but from car rental experiences in the past year or two I can't see that the keys are that much bigger than they were, say twenty years ago. Like a lot of people I dislike having my front pockets stuffed full of stuff, and I limit that pretty much to just keys and change, but it works for me just as well with the slightly larger car keys used today.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:26 AM
Endowment Member
Charter Member

My work pants have a small pocket at the ankles. I keep the fob in there and never have to deal with it or think about it. Otherwise, if I'm wearing normal pants or jeans, I just put it in my front pocket. Often, I'll put it in the pocket-watch pocket that jeans have. It's pretty convenient for that. I don't keep other keys on the fob, so it fits fine. I have a key ring with keys, but I don't carry that around with me.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:09 PM

These big fobs are a pain but they do a lot more than they used to. I use a lanyard and my chiropractor visits are covered in my extended health plan.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

I have my own key fob, my wife's key fob, a Tile (locator), a condo key fob, and -- let me count -- eight other keys interconnected on five key rings that I always keep in my right pocket. I've never had any sort of issue of them fitting. Oh, and a bottle opener.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napier View Post
I don't get why telephones got so thin I'm afraid to hold them for fear they'll break, yet car keys got so thick I have to compete with them for pants space.
The technologies will merge as neural implants improve. In the bright, hot world of the ubiquitous-surveillance totally-cyberlinked future, we'll all be chipped like poodles. We'll sub-vocalize or mentally project our phone-talk, wave our cyber-fingers to pay for items or open locks, chant a PIN mantra to start vehicles. Clouds of gnat-like spybots (they're part of the ubiquitous-surveillance paradigm) will verify authenticity of transactions and yes, accessing a vehicle is a transaction.

We'll be watched over by machines of loving grace. Then we won't need phones, watches, or keyfobs. They can go into obsolete device museums, XMas ornaments, recycle bins, or... who know how AIs will mutate them? If one calls your name, run!

I am possessed by two keyfobs, each about 1.5 times my thumb size. The encompassing keyring holds over a half-pound of hardware. I need a Chihuahua with panniers to lug it.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimeThink View Post
Is it possible to lock your phone in the car with that setup?

I have an old-fashioned 'switchblade' keyfob & a cheap, $5 key that will only open the door & work the accessories; it won't start the car as there's no chip in it. The phone & 'real' key get locked into the car when I run & I only carry the cheap, lightweight, non-electronic key.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:21 AM

my electronic key-fob (remote-key) attaches to the belt-loop on my jeans via a snap-hook. the belt-loop is just above the right pocket … connect the snap-hook … and let the two keys slide into the pocket. aside from the remote-key, there's only one other key (house) attached to the snap-hook. no bulge … no keys jingling … no hole being worn into bottom of the pocket. if the snap-hook would happen to fail … the keys would drop further into bottom of the pocket.

Last edited by albino_manatee; 12-01-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albino_manatee View Post
my electronic key-fob (remote-key) attaches to the belt-loop on my jeans via a snap-hook. the belt-loop is just above the right pocket connect the snap-hook and let the two keys slide into the pocket. aside from the remote-key, there's only one other key (house) attached to the snap-hook. no bulge no keys jingling no hole being worn into bottom of the pocket. if the snap-hook would happen to fail the keys would drop further into bottom of the pocket.
Kind of like the old trucker's wallet set up.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
... Do you wear really tight pants or something? ...
Rather than fish through the family fishbowl for keys, I'd like to carry all four keys for the family cars. I suppose you think that would be no big deal either. And the cost of duplication is less than 1% of the cost of those stupid key thingies.