Old 12-02-2019, 02:57 AM

Statistics on Coca Cola drink. How many have not tasted it?

Are there any reliable stats on what percent of the current human population above age 5 have not tasted Coca Cola.

As a mass produced product that is sold worldwide there must be very few people (above arbitrary aged 5, presuming parental control would have prevented consumption below this age) who have not tasted this drink.

Does any other human mass produced and patented food product come close to Coca Cola as a competitor for this stat.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nansbread1 View Post
Does any other human mass produced and patented food product come close to Coca Cola as a competitor for this stat.
The Coca-Cola beverage isn't patented. (If it were, that would mean the recipe would be published in full, but in actuality it's rather famous for being a trade secret.) The shape of the iconic bottle that Coca-Cola often comes in was covered by a design patent about a hundred years ago, though that has long since expired.

Are you really specifically asking about patented foods? If so, then I think the answer to your question is going to be "no". Patenting recipes is comparatively rare (that is, compared to recipes that aren't patented) so it's vanishingly unlikely that there's any food out there that is or was covered by a patent and which is more popular than Coca-Cola.

Last edited by psychonaut; 12-02-2019 at 03:23 AM.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:03 AM

I think the OP is asking whether there is a proprietary food/beverage product which is more popular than Coca-Cola.

Globally, no; Coke is the best-selling proprietary beverage product in the world.

But, country-by-country, sure. There are countries where Coke is outsold/outconsumed by other proprietary soft drinks - other proprietary cola drinks, even, whether Pepsi or a local brand (or both). And, in those countries, even if it's true that the overwhelming majority of the population over 5 has at least tasted a cola drink, that drink is not necessarily going to be Coca-Cola.

Last edited by UDS; 12-02-2019 at 04:04 AM.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:31 AM
Charter Member

The OP is asking: HOW MANY PEOPLE ABOVE 5 HAVE TASTED COCA COLAtm.

Idk the answer, but I at least understood the question.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
The OP is asking: HOW MANY PEOPLE ABOVE 5 HAVE TASTED COCA COLAtm.

Idk the answer, but I at least understood the question.
He asks three questions:

- How many have not tasted it? (Question in the header)

- What percentage have not tasted it? (Question in para 1 of the post)

- Is their a "patented" product that comes close to Coca-Cola by this measure? (Question in the last para of the post).

Curiously, he doesn't ask the question that you think he asks. (Though if you knew the answer to the first two questions he does ask it would be possible to work out the answer to the question you think he asks.)
Old 12-02-2019, 05:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDS View Post
He asks three questions:

- How many have not tasted it? (Question in the header)

- What percentage have not tasted it? (Question in para 1 of the post)

- Is their a "patented" product that comes close to Coca-Cola by this measure? (Question in the last para of the post).

Curiously, he doesn't ask the question that you think he asks. (Though if you knew the answer to the first two questions he does ask it would be possible to work out the answer to the question you think he asks.)
Okay, I forgot the "NOT", but I'm pretty sure that's the only question he's interested in.

Something along the lines of: "About 30% of the world's population has NOT tasted Coca cola."

Last edited by Grrr!; 12-02-2019 at 05:09 AM.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:57 AM

I also asked

Current human population.

Coca Colas reach across the world began in the 80s and since. Although available in western countries well before then.

I doubt that my parents in India tasted the drink before their deaths in the early eighties.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Coca Colas reach across the world began in the 80s and since. Although available in western countries well before then.

I doubt that my parents in India tasted the drink before their deaths in the early eighties.
I don't know about India but Coca-Cola was available in Egypt during the 1940s and 50s. There was a fatwa in 1951 where people began questioning whether Muslims could drink Coke or Pepsi, and the conclusion reached by authorities was yes and the product contained no narcotics, alcohol, or pepsin which is derived from pigs.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:54 AM

Does Coke Zero count? I don’t think any of my 3 kids have tasted Coke classic. We always buy zero/diet and when out at a restaurant where kids are free to order the sugar-versions, they always choose root beer or sprite. And my oldest dislikes carbonated drinks altogether. 60% of my family has never drank a Coke. :-)
Old 12-02-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odesio View Post
I don't know about India but Coca-Cola was available in Egypt during the 1940s and 50s. There was a fatwa in 1951 where people began questioning whether Muslims could drink Coke or Pepsi, and the conclusion reached by authorities was yes and the product contained no narcotics, alcohol, or pepsin which is derived from pigs.
Pepsi is the dominant cola brand in Egypt, not Coke, so anyone who tried cola once or twice, decided they didn't like it and never tried again has quite possibly never tasted Coke. Similarly in India Coke is only the third most popular cola brand and the fourth most popular soft drink, and this in a country where per capita consumption of carbonated soft drinks is in any case a tiny fraction of what it is in the US. So, again, there may be a large number of people who rarely or never take such things, and who have quite possibly never tasted Coke.

But I doubt that we will find reliable figures, or even reliable estimates, for the actual numbers of people in each market who haven't tried Coke.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Coke was widely available in India by the mid-eighties; I actually had my first glass bottle of coke in Pune c. 1987. It was, however, less popular than Pepsi, local cola products like Thums Up, and non-cola products such as Teem.

I don't know the exact answer to the OP's question, but as a Coke investor I can tell you that (1) their investor materials contain lots of interesting statistics, and (2) Coke sees water as its only major competitor in the non-alcoholic beverage space. About 25% of all non-alcoholic beverage* spending worldwide goes to Coke products. The Coke logo is recognized by 94% of the world's population, and I am doubtful that the number of people who've tried Coke is substantially less than that.

*excluding tap water.

Last edited by Really Not All That Bright; 12-03-2019 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:50 PM

Some who follow Orthodox Judaism have may not have tasted or drink Coca-Cola or other soft drinks. "Our classic Coca-Cola is typically Kosher and we also have a Kosher Coca-Cola for Passover." [My emphasis]. It seems unlikely that someone who doesn't drink Coca-Cola would decide to during Passover.

Coca-Cola is sold in Israel, so presumably it's always the Kosher version.

https://www.coca-colaproductfacts.co...ks-are-kosher/

"Is Coca-Cola Kosher?

That’s a great question! Our classic Coca-Cola is typically Kosher and we also have a Kosher Coca-Cola for Passover.

During the Jewish holiday Passover, many follow a very strict diet. So, we offer Kosher Coca-Cola for Passover. It uses ingredients approved by the Orthodox Union of Jewish Congregations.

Want Kosher Coca-Cola for Passover? Look for the Kosher symbol – ‘OU-P’ – stamped on yellow bottle caps.

We have a long history of listening to what our consumers want. Kosher Coca-Cola for Passover is a great example of that. The story goes as far back as the 1930s. A rabbi in Atlanta asked us to offer a Kosher for Passover version of Coca-Cola. At the time, millions of Jewish immigrants were immersing themselves in American culture. Because Coca-Cola was known as “America’s Favorite Moment,” Jewish families wanted to have it during Passover meals. The response to the Jewish community was positive. More than 80 years later, you can still find Kosher Coca-Cola for Passover in cities with large Jewish populations.

Read more about this rabbi and how our Kosher Coca-Cola came to be. It’s one of our favorite stories!

How will I know if your other drinks are Kosher?

We understand that people have different types of diets, whether that is Kosher, vegan or gluten-free. And we know it’s important for you to have the answers you need at your fingertips of what ingredients we use. Look for the ‘OU’ symbol on our packaging in the United States. It's at the top of our cans and bottles if you prefer beverage certified as Kosher."

Here's the article about how Kosher Coca-Cola came to be:https://www.coca-colacompany.com/sto...over-tradition

Last edited by lingyi; 12-03-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:08 PM

This article goes deeper into the history of making Coca-Cola Kosher: https://ohr.edu/this_week/insights_into_halacha/4499 . There's a good number of terms I'm not familiar with.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odesio View Post
Coke was available in the Congo in 1961 when I lived there. We noted that each bottle had a slightly different amount of soda in it.

The movie "One Two Three" from 1961 with Jimmy Cagney was about selling Coke in Berlin.