Old 12-01-2019, 03:34 PM

New cellphone recommendations?

Well, it seems as tho my old Droid4 is finally crapping out. I liked it for the tactile keyboard, but imagine I'll need to give that up.

The ONLY things I like to do w/ my phone are make and receive calls/texts, and a VERY occasional search for a map or something. And some pictures (which I tend to never look at again.) Anything I can wait to do on my home computer, I wait. I guess I COULD imagine putting music on it, but not much.

To give you an idea of how heavily I use my phone, I have a total of 1 app on my current phone. The main reason I don't have a flip phone is for ease of texting.

So what make/models do you recommend?

My wife/family are all Apple, as is my desktop.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:24 PM

Go to a site like slickdeals.net and look at what is available for Thanksgiving/Cyber Monday sales.

You haven't mentioned what cell phone service you have or want.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
My wife/family are all Apple, as is my desktop.
Is your wife or family in the market for a new phone? If so, offer to take the old one off their hands. That might be the cheapest way to acquire a phone. (That's how my mother gets new phones; she inherits my old ones as I upgrade them.)
Old 12-01-2019, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Meh, if it has to be Apple, not much to recommend. Just look at their phones and pick one. If you are open to Android, I have a :

Huawei Mate SE

Does everything I need at a good price point.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:32 PM

Since your needs are incredibly minimal, get the cheapest thing you can find. I used one of these for a while between better phones when one broke. Ten bucks, it'll do everything you described. Want to splurge and spend 6 times as much? The new Samsung Galaxy A10e seems pretty nice for the price.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

I think both of those options require you to subscribe to a service plan, which the OP may not want to do.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:05 PM

We currently have Verizon. My wife suggested I could have her old Apple if she wanted to upgrade.

The main thing I want is dependability and (hopefully) durability. But I suppose I should view it as a disposable and get the cheapest and replace it every couple of years.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:33 PM

LOL. My advice to everyone in my life is to spend as much as you can because there is nothing else in your life that you touch more than your phone. It's your internet connection, your music playing device, your radio, your video game controller, your communication device, etc.

But... in your case, get a used Apple phone. Probably a 6 in your case. Get a screen protector and a good case. That should be very cheap and do everything you need.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:36 PM

Yeah unfortunately you aren't going to find many/any phones with a physical keyboard any more. How important is a removable battery to you? Because most phones don't have one now, which tends to limit their lifespan.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:39 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Based on my having just bought 2 of them, I'll say the Moto G7 looked good enough to buy 2 of.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:45 PM

Except for it being as big as a fucking tablet, I really like my new iPhone 11.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Except for it being as big as a fucking tablet, I really like my new iPhone 11.
I second this. Get Mrs D an 11, and the OP can use her discard.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:12 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Get Mrs D an 11
>snerk<
Old 12-03-2019, 04:13 PM

As a former die-hard Droid fan (used my Droid 4 to death, then used a Droid Turbo to death before my current phone) I have been quite pleased with the Google Pixel 3.

Obviously my phone use is much heavier than yours, so switching to Apple might be okay for you, but I find that the Apple interface tends to just piss me off.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
>snerk<
Old 12-04-2019, 08:28 AM

I may have attained a new level WRT how little I care for/about my cellphone. My battery has been crapping out for some time - despite having been replaced. But I'm able to limp along w/ liberal use of chargers. A single internet search will pretty much kill it, but fine, I can easily do without that.

What bothered me the other day was when I was trying to pick my son up at the airport on Thanksgiving, and I did not receive their texts. But since then, texts have worked fine. I'm leaning towards convincing myself that it was a holiday system-wide glitch, and/or my phone healed itself. Mainly, I'm just eager to find an excuse to avoid having to decide which phone to get, and having to figure out a different interface.

It is nice and quiet here in the stone age!
Old 12-04-2019, 10:04 AM

If you're determined to have a physical keyboard Blackberry Key 1 or 2 would be an option. Runs Android, too.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:13 AM

I'd be cautious of assuming that you wouldn't use a new phone more than your current one; I thought the same thing (I had a flip-phone until about 2014), but was surprised to find out how handy the thing was, once I finally got a smartphone.

I'll add a +1 to the idea that you should upgrade your wife's phone and just use her old one, with one caveat which is that you probably want one that's still being supported by Apple, so a 6s or newer. If you do start using it more, having your wife and yourself on the same platform will ease a lot of things.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
I'd be cautious of assuming that you wouldn't use a new phone more than your current one; I thought the same thing (I had a flip-phone until about 2014), but was surprised to find out how handy the thing was, once I finally got a smartphone.

Thanks. Yeah, I had assumed similarly. When I belatedly got my current smart phone however many years ago, I remember my kids/nieces/nephews mocking me when I googled things saying I was gonna be "THAT guy!"

But the novelty quickly wore off. I'm just not interested in a lot of the digital world, and I really dislike the small phone screen. I'm the kinda neaderthal who still likes paper maps, or looking up instructions before I hit the road. I read books ad magazines, rather than using an e-reader.

Then I have the problem that, since I use the phone relatively infrequently, I do not retain how to do specific things. I'm perfectly happy w/ my analog pastimes - reading dead trees, gardening, making music with people in person, walking my dog - that I'm not eager to spend more time learning this tech. Not saying anything wrong w/ people feeling otherwise - apparently most do.

An Apple phone would have a benefit of synching up w/ my iMac - in terms of saving photos, and managing music. Not sure how much $ that is worth to me...
Old 12-04-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Yeah, I had assumed similarly. When I belatedly got my current smart phone however many years ago, I remember my kids/nieces/nephews mocking me when I googled things saying I was gonna be "THAT guy!"

But the novelty quickly wore off. I'm just not interested in a lot of the digital world, and I really dislike the small phone screen. I'm the kinda neaderthal who still likes paper maps, or looking up instructions before I hit the road. I read books ad magazines, rather than using an e-reader.
There are a couple of areas where it's come in extraordinarily handy that I wouldn't have guessed when I got it.

First, taking photos of the nameplate/serial number/model number of items I've bought is really handy- you always have them with you. Second, having the ability to actually download and keep the instruction manuals for devices with you is amazingly handy as well, especially if you got something secondhand or have lost the original manual.

Also, the calendaring/alarm functionality is very handy if you have stuff going on- you can integrate it with your navigation/maps as well, so that it'll basically note that you have an upcoming appointment across town, and then track traffic conditions, etc... such that it'll tell you when you need to leave to be there on time.

There's a lot of neat stuff out there that phones didn't used to do, especially with some of the newer offerings stores have. For example, if you want to do that Walmart pickup thing, they have a nifty app that you can order your stuff, tell them when yo want to pick it up, and it'll actually recognize when you arrive via location services to have them come out and bring you your stuff.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
There are a couple of areas where it's come in extraordinarily handy that I wouldn't have guessed when I got it.
First, taking photos of the nameplate/serial number/model number of items I've bought is really handy- you always have them with you. Second, having the ability to actually download and keep the instruction manuals for devices with you is amazingly handy as well, especially if you got something secondhand or have lost the original manual.

Also, the calendaring/alarm functionality is very handy if you have stuff going on-
There's a lot of neat stuff out there that phones didn't used to do, especially with some of the newer offerings stores have. For example, if you want to do that Walmart pickup thing, ...
Thanks. Yeah - MOST people sure seem to feel that way - and even more. I don't. I'm 59 w/ no kids. I do as little shopping as I can get away with. I'm the type of idiot who actually bemoans the lack of paper manuals/instructions. If I download them, it is to my computer, not my phone.

My wife and I prefer to use paper calendars. Works for us.

I DO use the alarm when I want to cut a nap short.

I tend to be a bit of a privacy freak (yeah, futile, I know), so I avoid disclosing my location whenever possible. And I'm able to style my life so as to avoid appts too close to each other. I'm pretty persuaded that many/most "services" you sign up are intended to "sell" you something or obtain and sell some info about you. Don't think I'm paranoid. Just appreciate my relative anonymity.

With all the "neat stuff", they generally impress me as more of a hassle to figure out and remember how to use, than to just "low tech" it however I want. Just the need to register an acct and devise/remember a password is enough to turn me off.

Not saying my preferences are right for anyone else. I'm clearly getting more and more out-of-touch.

Texting IS neat, tho. I stopped taking as many pics as when I first got the phone b/c I disfavor having to "manage" them, and transfer them somewhere more useful. Like I said, I really don't like doing much of anything on a little screen - even the bigger newer phones. Just not my preferred format/interface.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
What bothered me the other day was when I was trying to pick my son up at the airport on Thanksgiving
Quote:
I'm 59 w/ no kids.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
No kids at home. Sorry.