Old 12-03-2019, 04:55 AM

Audible vs Apple Books vs others?

I've been listening to some audiobooks lately that I ripped into iTunes and synched to my iPhone. I'm thinking I'd like to start listening to more. There's a bookstore near me that sells discounted audiobooks but they have a crappy selection, so I'd like some more choice.

I'm trying to weigh off subscribing to a service like Audible versus buying one-off audiobooks from Apple Books versus any other similar services.

In my quick first look, the prices at Audible are double or more Apple for the same book (Michelle Obama is $35 at Audible vs $18 at Apple). But I guess the deal with Audible is I get 3 "free" per month, but what's the catch?

My impulse is to start with Apple and buy them as one-offs since there's no commitment, then if I'm listening to lots switch to Audible?

Can anyone guide me through the process to figure out which one is the better option and the economics of when it's worth switching to Audible and/or fine print of the services.

Thanks
Old 12-03-2019, 05:52 AM

I've no experience with Amazon audiobooks so I'll not comment on them.

Audible is great if you like to own the books and listen to them multiple times over who knows how many years. You pay once and it's your's forever even if you cancel their service. It's much less impressive if you only want to listen to the book once or twice.

Check out your local library before buying either of these services. You should at least see what they can do for you before dropping money into a Audible's or Amazon's coffers.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

Scribd has a Netflix like model for books, audiobooks and magazines. Pay a monthly subscription and read and listen to what you like. They don't have the range of titles that Audible has but you can get a free trial for a month and at least listen to Becoming.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:49 AM

You should check out Librivox. 100% free, public domain titles read by volunteers. Quality varies of course, but the price is right. Good way to catch up on some classics.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMANCANADA View Post
In my quick first look, the prices at Audible are double or more Apple for the same book (Michelle Obama is $35 at Audible vs $18 at Apple). But I guess the deal with Audible is I get 3 "free" per month, but what's the catch?
I'd be surprised if very many people paid the $35 full price. The "member price" is $25 (USD); but even then, it's cheaper to buy it using a credit. Depending on your membership plan, you get one or more credits per month, and if you run out they'll usually let you buy extra for... I forget how much, but I think $15 or less each. So that's the "real" cost of an audiobook at Audible. Plus, they often have sales, offering certain audiobooks for way below regular price, or BOGO; and occasionally you can save substantial money by buying the Kindle version of a book first and paying to add Audible narration.

The other thing about Audible is that they produce some of their own content, so you can find things there that aren't available elsewhere. But depending on what you want, other sources may be cheaper. Your library may have enough books that you want to listen to for free. And Chirp sometimes has some good deals on audiobooks, but you have to use their own proprietary app to download and listen to them.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:36 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll try my local library too.

@DCnDC - I do use Libravox quite a bit, and generally find it good. I had couple readers that were clearly practicing their English and were impossible to listen to, so now I make sure I do a preview before I download the book.

In the summer I picked up Doctor Sleep for $10 in the bargain bin at my local bookstore, and I really enjoyed it. So now I'm looking so supplement the Libravox classics with newer books.

Apple has the first 5 Game of Thrones audiobooks as a bundle for $35 so I may start with that.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
...you get one or more credits per month, and if you run out they'll usually let you buy extra for... I forget how much...
It's about $36 for 3 additional credits
Old 12-05-2019, 09:01 AM

My problem with Audible is I fall behind as my interest in audiobooks waxes and wanes and I have unused credits built up that I don't want to lose, so I have in the past maintain my subscription. Yes the credits carry over for some times, but not forever w/o a subscription. I have decided for me it's best to just buy as I need them, and occasionally, if there is a expensive book I want, take the Audible 1/2 deal and cancel after it's up.