Old 12-03-2019, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Should I visit Boston in January?

First things first, Iím from Chicago so Iím well aware this isnít a tropical vacation where Iíll be lying on the beach and clapping my hands to have cocktails brought to me. Iíve got plenty of warm weather clothes.

My interests are history, art, theatre, music, good beer and cocktails, and museums which lend themselves to an indoor vacation. Iím well aware I wonít be strolling along the river nor visiting charming neighborhoods. I may visit one or more of the colleges in the area if the weather isnít too bad.

This would be around my birthday which falls near the MLK holiday around January 20. Iím Wyndham rewards platinum so Iíll start looking at their properties soon. I only use public transit or Uber, so donít worry about me driving.

Is this realistic or am I an idiot?
Old 12-03-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
My interests are history, art, theatre, music, good beer and cocktails, and museums which lend themselves to an indoor vacation.
We got all that stuff. Come on down (or is it up?) You can spend a lot of time at the Museum of Fine Arts. I would check the listings first, though, to see if any exhibits, shows, etc. will be going on that interest you.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:48 PM

Bring boots. Public transit will suck if the weather does, so definitely be prepared to Uber. But yes, everything you're looking for will be available.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:23 PM

The weather will probably be just like home, but sometimes we get weird warm spells. New Year's Day was in the 60s and utterly fabulous. More often that's when we get our single digit spell, but we like to keep everyone on their toes. On the plus side the snow seems to wait for February, like it's too cold to snow in January.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

There's really only one Wyndham hotel in Boston proper, that's the Wyndham Boston Beacon Hill. That's a great area to stay in, close to everything and very walkable even in winter. You're right near a few T (subway) stops so you can get to most everything quickly, including great restaurants. The other Wyndham options are much further away and not close to anything interesting.

The weather can be anything, but there's certainly a good chance you'll be able to walk around sections of the city.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:42 PM

Boston is a great walking town, but walking is best enjoyed in reasonable weather. You might want to wait until after baseball season commences.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:49 PM

I haven't been in Boston in years, but damn I loved that city, rain or shine or snow. If you are prepared to trudge through icy weather, go for it. It can be beautiful in the snow, and you can enjoy roaring fires and hot chocolate indoors. The museums and restaurants are terrific. The entire city has a buzz of energy that I think is the result of having such a large number of colleges and universities.

I'm fully committed to never leaving Hawaii except as required for life events like family graduations/marriages/births/funerals, but thinking about Boston almost makes me want to book a trip there.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:27 PM

The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum is supposed to be lovely. I enjoyed seeing the USS Constitution when I visited. Harpoon is a brewery of some renown, and you've heard of Sam Adams. Doubtless there are other great breweries to try. Clown Shoes is in Ipswich, which is a bit far, but otherwise would be worth your time. Someone here was talking up Privateer Distilling as one of the best in the US. They're in Ipswich too.

I liked the oysters at Neptune in the North End. Arrive early. Maria's is better than Mike's for cannoli (but his are better than I've had anywhere other than Boston.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
There's really only one Wyndham hotel in Boston proper, that's the Wyndham Boston Beacon Hill. That's a great area to stay in, close to everything and very walkable even in winter. You're right near a few T (subway) stops so you can get to most everything quickly, including great restaurants. The other Wyndham options are much further away and not close to anything interesting.

The weather can be anything, but there's certainly a good chance you'll be able to walk around sections of the city.
Thanks, sounds perfect. Iím kinda married to the Wyndham chain but wonít stay in a burb or somewhere inconvenient just to use or earn points.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
Boston is a great walking town, but walking is best enjoyed in reasonable weather. You might want to wait until after baseball season commences.
I wish I could but Iím stuck with a January birthday so Iíve got to make the best of it.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:28 PM

Boston in January can be okay or it can be miserable. It all depends on how snowy the sidewalks are and how windy it is. I'm not thrilled that Pax East is the last week of February this year because February is much the same.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

You can get around in Boston using the T (subway), or for short stretches you can walk. By all means, come.If you like museums and such there's:

The Museum of Fine Arts
The Boston Science Museum
The Instituite of Contemporary Art
The Boston Children's Museum (if you have kids)
The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum
The Boston Aquarium

outside Boston you've got
The Agassiz Museum of Natural History at Harvard
Several Art Museums at Harvard
The MIT Museum
The Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, MA

In addition, you've got lotsd of historical sites and museums

The Paul Revere House
The Old North Church
U.S.S Constitution (Old Ironsides)
Bunker Hill Museum and Monument
Museum of African American History
JFK Library
Boston Tea Party Ship

and too many more to list, although these people try
https://museumsofboston.org/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_museums_in_Boston

If you're coming to the city on MLK weekend, you can also drop by the Boston Westin Waterfront hotel for Arisia, the first of Boston's three science fiction conventions. I'll be on panels there, including one on The Year in Bad Science.

https://www.arisia.org/
Old 12-04-2019, 09:11 AM

Do men ever visit Boston?

(Old mnemonic for the order of British noble titles: Duke, Marquis, Earl, Viscount, Baron.)
Old 12-04-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
I liked the oysters at Neptune in the North End. Arrive early. Maria's is better than Mike's for cannoli (but his are better than I've had anywhere other than Boston.
Sadly, Maria's closed back in September. I think I bought about 5 lb. of cannolis & cookies that last month.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
You can get around in Boston using the T (subway), or for short stretches you can walk. . . .
"Should we walk, or do we have time to take the T?" (a bit of Boston humor.)
Old 12-04-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Sadly, Maria's closed back in September. I think I bought about 5 lb. of cannolis & cookies that last month.
Damn. Rent must have been amazing for their space. Too bad. Glad you got to get some of their last pastries though.

Well dale, Mike's is still really good. I've heard Modern Pastry is amazing too. Both Modern and Neptune are down the street from Paul Revere's house. I think you can throw a baseball in between all of them, were it not for the buildings getting in the way.

Boston, at least the North End and downtown, is a lot of fun that way. Everything is right next to one another. Which can make restaurant seating a bit snug, but you can't have everything.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Mike's is good, but it's a commodity. Modern is better, and many of the smaller places are amazing. You can't go wrong, but Mike's is definitely more touristy. And Mike's has branch stores all over the place - it's nearly as common as Dunkin'.

For good beer in Boston proper consider the new Nightshift Brewing on Lovejoy Wharf (love their sours), Trillium Garden on the Greenway, Democracy Brewing, and Beerworks near the Boston Garden.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael View Post
Do men ever visit Boston?

(Old mnemonic for the order of British noble titles: Duke, Marquis, Earl, Viscount, Baron.)
That explains Boston marriages.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Wow! I booked that hotel for a mind blowing low rate of $139 per night. That seems amazingly low for a big city hotel.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Wow! I booked that hotel for a mind blowing low rate of $139 per night. That seems amazingly low for a big city hotel.
It's January in Boston. I suspect demand is fairly low.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

I just booked the Hilton in downtown Albany for a similar price for around Christmas time. It's extremely well-located, being practically across the street from the Capitol, but I also suspect that few people will be travelling on government-related business during the holidays.

Last edited by Ludovic; 12-04-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
I just booked the Hilton in downtown Albany for a similar price for around Christmas time. It's extremely well-located, being practically across the street from the Capitol, but I also suspect that few people will be travelling on government-related business during the holidays.
Yeah, I can often get a suite at State House Inn in Springfield, Illinois for almost nothing when thereís nothing going on with the government. Great location for tourists.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's January in Boston. I suspect demand is fairly low.
I would think that would be the heart of business travel season but maybe the MLK holiday has helped plus whatever Wyndham discounts I get.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:26 AM

No, Boston has a ton of hotel space, that goes largely unused in winter. The tourists completely dry up by Thanksgiving/end of leaf peeping season, and conventions and the like get a lot more traction going someplace warm. So whatever leftover business travel there is doesn't come anywhere near filling the hotels.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
No, Boston has a ton of hotel space, that goes largely unused in winter. The tourists completely dry up by Thanksgiving/end of leaf peeping season, and conventions and the like get a lot more traction going someplace warm. So whatever leftover business travel there is doesn't come anywhere near filling the hotels.
The Westin Waterfront gets filled up because both the New England Auto Show at the Convention Center next door and Arisia at the Hotel itself, but other area hotels have plenty of vacancy.

Here's a listing of Jauary events and hotels:

https://www.boston-discovery-guide.c...r-january.html
Old 12-05-2019, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ah ok, I know Chicago still gets tons of convention business in winter even with the awful weather. But, I imagine its location, two airports, and convention facilities outweigh the lousy weather.

Last edited by dalej42; 12-05-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Of course nothing can top Vegas on summer weekdays where you can stay on the Strip for low double digits.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Of course nothing can top Vegas on summer weekdays where you can stay on the Strip for low double digits.
And pay a $50 per day resort fee for a newspaper and free local calls! I love Vegas but the resort fees are nonsense.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:58 PM

Since you mentioned theatre, here are some plays from companies of various sizes that are running in your time frame:

https://www.huntingtontheatre.org/se...all-fall-down/
https://www.speakeasystage.com/pass-over/
https://www.lyricstage.com/productions/the-cake/
http://freshinktheatre.org/2019-2020-season