Old 12-04-2019, 01:42 PM

Bad, bad, bad roadtrip for Beck (oh crap, Big Wrek is driving)

Well. I got here alive. To see a surgeon about my possible demise. Kinda ironic. Wouldn't you agree?
Set the stage: I have an appointment with a surgeon about my sickly right kidney. In Texarkana, Ar.
This man, Mr.Wrekker as accomplished as he is (hee-hee) scares the living crap outta me driving. ( there's that word again 'living')
First off, he drives kinda weavey, car sick doesn't descibe my tummy, adequately.
2nd. He drives too fast. Good lord man, this is South Arkansas. You never know what'll pop out of the woods on to the road. I said "slow down" IDK...a 100 times. He never heard me, as his right ear is kinda deaf and his talk radio was blasting. I may have a hearing deficit now.
3rd- there's really was no reason for him to come with. I asked him why when he announced he was taking me. He said "Someone has to", really is that sensible?
4th-the surgeon being a surgeon will have a set amount of time with me. I write my questions down. Hand over the paper and listen. Mr.Wrekker likes to butt in with his own queries. Things get jumbled up like that.
I'm in the waiting room right now. My appointment is at 1:30. They said come early to fill out papers and possible blood draw and pee test. Mr.Wrekker was squirming. I ran him off to go eat. He said don't go in without me. Yeah, 'riiiight!' like that's happening. I hope he is gone too long.
Oops- time to go to the lab.
Stay tuned: Beckdawreks bad, bad, bad road trip will have further updates......unless I die on the road. ()

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 12-04-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:52 PM

Added: since my right kidney is being bad, bad,bad...I've named them 'Pancho and Lefty'
Pancho is on my shit list, just sayin'
Old 12-04-2019, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Nononononono. Demising is not allowed here (but apparently the word "demising" is just fine). You are forbidden to expire, die, demise, exsanguinate, cease or otherwise shuffle off this mortal coil without the express permission of the membership.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:19 PM

IDK. Dying would certainly be easier. This is shaping to be the biggest tribulation I've experienced.
Surgeon Meany-head is not impressed with Pancho anymore than I am. But, Lefty is carrying on as the hero he is.
I'm in for some more tests first. He spent a very long time asking about my diabetic history as that report didn't get to him as yet. Mr.Wrekker was surprisingly quiet. I think he's afraid. I'm afraid.
Oh, god. I don't wanna tell the kids about this.
We had a talk while they were home for Thanksgiving. They know some of the issue.

Bad, bad, bad.......

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 12-04-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:36 PM

Beck you may want to get a 2nd opinion in Little Rock. The Med Center is a research hospital and gets the newest diagnostics. Dr. Eltahawy is one of the bigger names. I've seen him for over 15 years.

Good luck. I know all too well what you're going through. My scar still hasn't totally faded.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:19 PM

Fingers crossed for you, Beck. I hope Lefty continues to carry on heroically. Dialysis is not fun, I hope it won't be necessary for you.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:59 PM

I'm still pouty. I called my Diabetic nurse on the way home. She reassured me, some. She said this is not the event that will do me in.
I'm going to the Diabetic clinic Friday. I've got to stay on the antibiotics infusions.
My diet will be further restricted. Good-bye dear corndogs, I knew ye well!
On the plus side he put me on Tramadol, very restrictedly. I'm not to overuse them. Mustn't kill my liver. As my lower back has ached for awhile I'm very happy about that.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 12-04-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:10 PM

I'm glad that your getting good treatment.

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been diabetic? A good friend of my parents dealt with it for at least 25 years.

Last edited by aceplace57; 12-04-2019 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:21 PM

I'm a T1 diabetic. Since I was a baby.
I have a fear that my 'use-by' date is looming.
I know no other way to live. But as I age things are being a bit more stubborn. Takes me longer to heal and I tire easy. My stamina has the 'want to' but not the 'able to'
I'm an eternal optimist. I pout and feel sorry for myself rarely. This whole thing has kinda thrown a kink in my plans for a ripe old age. Not gonna think about it anymore today.
Thx, Acey for your concern. ()
Old 12-04-2019, 06:06 PM

If the bad bad kidney is so bad it is fighting for the other team, wave goodbye.

Tramadol has a nickname: Dammit-all. Ask for at least Tylenol 3!

~VOW
Old 12-04-2019, 06:06 PM

No problem Beck, Arkies have to stick together and look after each other.

Last edited by aceplace57; 12-04-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:32 PM

Yikes. Sounds like you should say goodbye to Pancho as Lefty is already picking up the slack. I do like Aceplace's suggestion that you go to Little Rock for a second opinion, just to settle it in your mind. We all want what is best for Becks! FWIW, I have several friends who are doing just fine with only one kidney, one of whom had been on dialysis for 17 years when he got a donor kidney. That kidney has worked very well for him for over 20 years now.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:01 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Eep

I had kidney issues that almost shut me down with both attempts at being pregnant, and did actually temporarily shut them down for just under a year. I really really really hope things go at least smoothly for you.

And I can understand not enjoying the driving ability of ones spouse. I learned on the first really long road trip to never let mrAru drive me around unless I am incapacitated. I picked him up at the boat and set out westward to drive to his sister's wedding back in 1989. We broke for the night after about 4 hours, he was exhausted as it was day after duty and he had a normal work day so he had effectively been up for about 38 hours. Next day, I started driving, and about 9 hours later after breaking for dinner it was his turn to drive. I sat there, getting more and more paniced [he sort of swooped gently from one side of hte lane to the other, drove slightly too fast but not inordinately, but we were close to a Jersy barrier.] After close to an hour of my poor little lizard hindbrain screaming not so quietly in the background HOLY FUCK WE ARE GOING TO DIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE, I convinced him it was because I was tired and to just knock off for the night, and let him drive first the next day. Um. NOPE. Just as bad fully awake as tired. SO since 1989 I have pretty much done all the driving for out road trips, actually I think the only time he has really driven me was when I was ill - a couple times to the ER at the local hospital, and during chemo and radiation as I really wasn't in any condition to drive myself.

On the plus side, as a trained EMS, he is great to take for medical appointments as he pretty much is dialed in to what is happening and knows what questions to ask. Today they let him scrub up and do my CBC blood draw and port flush again, this is about the 5th time he has done it.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:09 PM

Pancho is outta here. He's apparently making me sicker. Gotta go. I have a heart/lung study first and they will poke Lefty to make sure he's good.
I was hoping for laparoscopic surgery. Not an option Dr. says.
I'm expecting DIL in a few, she wants to look at his findings. If she and Big Wrek want me to, I'll get another opinion.
I agree ~VOW about the Tramadol. It'll be enough for this mild discomfort. Save the good drugs for after surgery.
I'm cheered up a bit now. Got a present coming in the mail. So happy. ()

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 12-04-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:27 PM

Sounds like even Pancho could drive better than Mr. Wrekker. Can't you turn off the blisteringly loud talk radio when he scares the daylights out of you? Tell him you'll do that every time he swerves or goes too fast, then while the sound is down, sing "Feelings" as loudly and as off-key as you can until the speedometer goes down. I got Nellie, Jr. to stop rolling her eyes at me that way, back in her teens.

The news about Pancho's sad state is naturally a shock, as you're probably thinking, "Holy Hammond Organs, Batman, my body is starting to fail!" However, once the shock fades, I think you'll see that Pancho's retirement is not necessarily a harbinger of things to come. There will be some adjustments, many of them Not Fun. There will be discomfort. But you'll make those adjustments because you're you and you have to.

Twenty years from now as you're plugging wild boars from your rocker on the porch, your great-grandkids will beg for the story of The Adventures of Pancho and Lefty." And you'll chuckle when you recall what a scare you gave yourself clear back in 2019.

Big hugs, Becks.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:12 PM

I feel like I'm being parted out for a fire sale.
The bear might've been an easier way to depart this mortal coil. He may not like me now, now that parts are missing. Just my luck. ()

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 12-04-2019 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:18 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I'm still pouty. I called my Diabetic nurse on the way home. She reassured me, some. She said this is not the event that will do me in.
I'm going to the Diabetic clinic Friday. I've got to stay on the antibiotics infusions.
My diet will be further restricted. Good-bye dear corndogs, I knew ye well!
On the plus side he put me on Tramadol, very restrictedly. I'm not to overuse them. Mustn't kill my liver. As my lower back has ached for awhile I'm very happy about that.
I'm on tramadol. I wasn't aware that it could cause liver damage. It works on my back pain.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:26 PM

He told me Tylenol or drugs with tylenol are worse on the liver.
Vicodin or tylenol 3 is the worst, WAG really. I just listen to what the doctor said. He says tramadol, I'll take tramadol.
After the ride my back was ache-y so I took one. Seems like it's helping. My eyes hurt though. Not sure what that is.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:30 PM

*gentle hugs*
Old 12-04-2019, 08:35 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Tramadol should not be a problem for a healthy liver. Though it has opioid activity, so one must be cautious about that. But it's helpful for post op pain.

Beck, do you have a diagnosis for your bad kidney? And how well is your good one doing? You can get by for a lifetime on one good kidney, when things are managed well. Good luck!! Thinking of you.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
Tramadol should not be a problem for a healthy liver. Though it has opioid activity, so one must be cautious about that. But it's helpful for post op pain.

Beck, do you have a diagnosis for your bad kidney? And how well is your good one doing? You can get by for a lifetime on one good kidney, when things are managed well. Good luck!! Thinking of you.
He and the kidney doctor agree its scarring from chronic infection. So far Lefty is not sick. He's gonna run some tests. Thx for your concern.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:29 PM

Kidneys are absolutely necessary, unless one gives up, and defects to the other side. If it could just sit there when it does nothing, things might be different. But oh, no, kidneys are not Switzerland, they either fight for your team, or they are one of the bad guys. Get rid of the traitor!

Year and years ago, my favorite for pain-killing purposes was a pink sweetheart called Darvocet. Then the Govamint sez, "Darvocet might kill ya!" And it was never seen again.

Tramadol timidly shuffled in to take the place of Darvocet. I've had drinks of water that offered me more comfort than Tramadol. When I learned of its nickname, Dammit-all, I realized I was not alone in being under-impressed.

Sometimes, the Old West analgesia of a slug of whiskey with a silver bullet to bite on, doesn't sound half bad...

~VOW
Old 12-04-2019, 09:49 PM

~VOW, you gave me a laugh. Did I mention it only hurts when I laugh? ()
Old 12-04-2019, 11:52 PM

Hugs, Beck. Cheers for you and Ol' Lefty. I wish I had one good kidney; both of mine are working at less than 50%. Diabetes sucks (I've had T2 for 30 years).

I was on Tramadol following my open-heart surgery. It worked like a charm, with no problems. That was after they took me off Percocet, which caused me bad hallucinations involving Hitler .
Old 12-05-2019, 12:32 AM

*more gentle hugs*
Old 12-05-2019, 01:28 AM
Charter Member

Hang in there, Beck.

Here's something: you're not allowed to even consider expiring until we count to a million in that Thread Games thread. And, you must contribute to it regularly.

Seriously, good thoughts to you, friend.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
Hang in there, Beck.

Here's something: you're not allowed to even consider expiring until we count to a million in that Thread Games thread. And, you must contribute to it regularly.

Seriously, good thoughts to you, friend.
Being like I'll be 92 before we get there I'll keep on posting.
TY, I'll take the good thoughts as well

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 12-05-2019 at 02:08 AM.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:58 AM

Let's buy Beck a new kidney!

What's your preference, Dear Beck? Beef or pork?

~VOW
Old 12-05-2019, 09:13 AM

You will be perfectly fine with one kidney! My grand dad had HALF of one kidney and ended up dying of something else because that half served him for the rest of his life. So, no "demising". Besides, it's against Board rules!
Old 12-05-2019, 10:51 AM

I'd give a kidney to Beck if she needed one. Then again, I hope your need is never so dire that you'd accept.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post
Let's buy Beck a new kidney!

What's your preference, Dear Beck? Beef or pork?

~VOW
She's probably used beef or pork derived insulin years ago.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:10 AM

No no no no pig kidney.
ln Germany they are growing organs in a lab. Order up a Pancreas and kidney, ala' carte.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 12-05-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
ln Germany they are growing organs in a lab.
Sure, but his name is Bruno and he's a cutey.

Old 12-05-2019, 11:45 AM

If you watch "Grey's Anatomy " (ABC, Thursday night), EVERYBODY is growing organs in a lab, someplace. A couple of years ago, that show had a brand new, cute little pink set of lungs, in a Bell jar.

I get upset when TV programs test credulity!

However...hmmm...maybe you can set up a makeshift lab in the barn and grow your own Steak-Ums?

~VOW
Old 12-05-2019, 02:12 PM

Just to be clear, if a cooler wrapped in duct tape and containing ice and a healthy, young, right handed human kidney is delivered to your door by FedEx...I donít know anything about it.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:29 PM

I'll keep a look out. ()
Old 12-05-2019, 02:56 PM

If it looks LEFT-handed, flip it over, *wink, wink*

~VOW
Old 12-05-2019, 03:42 PM

~VOW, you're killin' me.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
~VOW, you're killin' me.

Beck, BAY-BEE!

Several days ago a seemingly depressed person posted a thread, "How do you reconcile the world?"

I taught my kids, almost from the cradle, "Life isn't fair, get over it." And it's true, at times, Life is just the drizzling shits. The second thing I taught my kids is what my mother taught ME: "You better learn to laugh at Life, otherwise you're in for a long, miserable time!"

I'd rather laugh than cry. And let's face it, along with Life being the drizzling shits, it's downright ridiculous!

I've known people who worry about everything. They turn themselves inside with worry. They make themselves sick with it. They poison the people around them with it!

And all that worry doesn't do a single damn thing!

I'd rather find something silly to laugh at. I'd rather DO something silly to make the people around me laugh!

And just maybe, while everyone is laughing, things won't seem quite so bad...at least for a while.

When you stop laughing, I'll send my granddaughter (COTU#1) over to do her fart dance.

~VOW
Old 12-05-2019, 05:48 PM

~VOW, you're a special person. I'm happy I know you. ()
Old 12-05-2019, 07:55 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
~VOW, you're a special person. I'm happy I know you. ()
Fart dance and all?
Old 12-05-2019, 08:17 PM

How is Big Wrek's actual driving record? Does he have a history of infractions and incidents or has he pretty much gotten where he is going without problems?
Old 12-05-2019, 08:19 PM

Carni- nothing is funnier than a Grandkid farting. Especially if guests are in the house. Mother wants to die, Daddy wants to crawl in a hole and hide. But, Granny's cracking up.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
How is Big Wrek's actual driving record? Does he have a history of infractions and incidents or has he pretty much gotten where he is going without problems?
He's got a good record. Like me his only wrecks have been with wildlife. Maybe one speeding ticket, awile ago.
I kid about it, mostly.