Old 12-03-2019, 07:37 PM

A question only for people in states where pot is legal

On January first Illinois will join the list and edibles intrigue me. How much can I expect to pay for THC gummies?

And mod, "lot" should be "pot." Blasted auto correct !.

Last edited by dropzone; 12-03-2019 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:48 PM

A lot of pot? See www.weedmaps.com for dispensaries, deliverers, products, and prices almost everywhere. Check your taxes. Some states impose extra taxes for cannabinoids. Enjoy!

PS: I didn't mention prices because they've varied widely in the states I've shopped. The link will help you.

Last edited by RioRico; 12-03-2019 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:50 PM

In CA the chocolate bars are about $20 for 100 milligrams of THC. That’s about five doses for me.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:59 PM

Once you introduce legal markets, you get typical retail promotions like discounts, too, so ask around.

I don’t purchase edibles, but based on my observations when visiting dispensaries, a typical price is probably in the $20-$50 range.

Last edited by Moriarty; 12-03-2019 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:06 PM

Why would any sensible auto-correct change "pot" to "lot"?
Old 12-03-2019, 09:32 PM

It's Android

Do the dispensaries sell seeds for home grown? I think that is going to be legal for individual use here.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
Auto correct can be ducking stupid.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer J. Fudd View Post
In CA the chocolate bars are about $20 for 100 milligrams of THC. That’s about five doses for me.
Wow, that's cheap. I have to pay about twice that here in NV for the same 100mg chocolate. I eat half the dose you do, tho. IIRC It's cheaper if you have a medical card.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:03 AM

I warmly recommend baking some coockies yourself. So you will know exactly how much you are ingesting. And it is fun, specially with friends. I can provide recipes, but they are all over the internet. Start with a low dose, be patient until the effect sets in (this can take a while and be so gradual that you at first don't notice) and increase the dose gradually from one day to the next until you find your sweet spot (pun only half intended). Enjoy!
Old 12-04-2019, 07:26 AM

Illinois will have both medical and recreational, IIRC. Looking into medical might be worthwhile, if, like in PA, med users are not taxed.

If you are looking to save $$, purchasing RSO and eating it added to a cookie is the way to go.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer J. Fudd View Post
Do they not have anything smaller and cheaper (like maybe a 20mg bar for $5)? Doses start at 5mg and some people are visiting from out of state so they can't take it home with them.

I can afford $20 but I'd have to throw most of the bar away since I can't keep it. Seems wasteful for tourists only in town a day or two.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 12-04-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
Do they not have anything smaller and cheaper (like maybe a 20mg bar for $5)? Doses start at 5mg and some people are visiting from out of state so they can't take it home with them.

I can afford $20 but I'd have to throw most of the bar away since I can't keep it. Seems wasteful for tourists only in town a day or two.
Last year I found myself in the TSA line at the airport when my gf reminded me about the brownies. I had two 50 mg brownies in my pocket and the line was moving pretty fast. I hurriedly at my brownie, then handed the other to her. She wimped out and told me to throw hers out. Instead, I ate it.

Interesting experience. The plane was at 30,000 feet but I was much higher. So, yeah, don't waste any!
Old 12-04-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Last year I found myself in the TSA line at the airport when my gf reminded me about the brownies. I had two 50 mg brownies in my pocket and the line was moving pretty fast. I hurriedly at my brownie, then handed the other to her. She wimped out and told me to throw hers out. Instead, I ate it.

Interesting experience. The plane was at 30,000 feet but I was much higher. So, yeah, don't waste any!
I'd be a paranoid, anxious mess at a dose that high.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I'd be a paranoid, anxious mess at a dose that high.
Different strokes. I had an ear-to-ear grin on my face the entire time, according to my gf who enjoyed my situation as much as I did. During our short layover in Charlotte, she bought me a Bloody Mary and told me not to move from my seat while she ran to the bathroom. When she returned, she found that I literally had not moved.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Big Judeo-Christian has greased thousands of palms to ensure that lot is legal everywhere.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:33 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
And mod, "lot" should be "pot." Blasted auto correct !.
Fixed
Old 12-04-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
It's pretty easy to blame auto-correct when you've rat-ringered what you meant to type.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
It's Android

Do the dispensaries sell seeds for home grown? I think that is going to be legal for individual use here.
Here in Oregon it's much more likely to find clones to grow to maturity and that's the way you want to go. An inexperienced grower doesn't know how to sex a young plant and can spend a lot of time and effort lovingly nurturing a male plant that has not a damned thing to offer. Additionally, growing from seed does not guarantee a good result due to phenotypes--the seeds of a given cross will have the same genetics as full siblings do, and my best advice about THAT is to go look at Ron and Clint Howard, who have the same parents but man, you don't want to go in expecting a Ron plant and getting a Clint, just sayin'.

A clone is an exact genetic copy of a proven strain and phenotype which will give you guaranteed results and so long as you don't stress it in the growing will be guaranteed to be female and not spew pollen all over the place, which ruins the fuck outta your nugs.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:10 PM

What I've heard is that supply is initially going to be quite low in IL, so I expect prices to be silly-high at first. It's a big market though—I think prices should drop pretty quick. I think a useful point of reference here is the black market prices—I think it's almost certain that prices at legal dispensaries will start well above those. A friend of a friend tells me that 200 mg of gummies (20 x 10 mg) is currently available for $40.

My understanding is that growing at home will remain illegal here, due to pressure from police organizations and a desire to get the law passed as quickly as possible.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgscen View Post
What I've heard is that supply is initially going to be quite low in IL, so I expect prices to be silly-high at first. It's a big market though—I think prices should drop pretty quick. I think a useful point of reference here is the black market prices—I think it's almost certain that prices at legal dispensaries will start well above those. A friend of a friend tells me that 200 mg of gummies (20 x 10 mg) is currently available for $40.

My understanding is that growing at home will remain illegal here, due to pressure from police organizations and a desire to get the law passed as quickly as possible.
My understanding is that it will illegal to grow at home for recreation use, but those with a medical marijuana card will be able to grow their own.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
Once you introduce legal markets, you get typical retail promotions like discounts, too, so ask around.
This depends on how much margin there is to work with.

California is taxing marijuana so heavily, and the state and local municipalities are putting so many regulatory and code barriers in the way of legal pot operations, that the state has a massive and thriving black market that is responsible for the vast majority of weed sales in California. Legal shops are finding it hard to make ends meet, especially smaller, independent operations.

One study estimates that, of the state's almost-$12 billion marijuana industry, almost three quarters is sold on the black market, and only just over a quarter in legal shops ($8.7B illegal v. $3.0B legal). Oregon, a state with about one-ninth the population of California, has more legal weed retailers than California because of how hard California (state and local) has made it to get into the business. This 60 Minutes story from a couple of months back talked to a guy with 45 plants who has tried to do it all legally, and is in the hole $50,000 in permits and application fees and consulting costs.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:37 PM

Fortunately, I was raised on ditch weed, have no expectations of quality, and live between two Rails to Trails bike paths that are lightly forested, so I expect some kindly Johnny Reefer Seed will broadcast seed on both sides of the paths, providing crappy shit for all and sundry.

Last edited by dropzone; 12-04-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:12 PM

Local place advertises $14.19 for 10 gummies, 100 mg (does that mean 10 per gummy, I don't know how this works?). They don't sell seeds, and growing yourself is stupidly only legal if you don't live in X miles of a dispensary.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:

I only have a little experience with dispensaries but it seems all the chocolate and gummies come in 100 mg packs segmented into twenty 5 mg doses.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:30 AM
Charter Member

I didn't buy any, but when I was in Boulder last June they were selling 40 count bags of 5mg gummies for $18 including all fees and taxes and such. If one needs 20mg that's 10 highs for $18. I can't get drunk 10 times for $18.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's Android

Most states where growing is legal have several well known seed distributors. In CA you can have 6 mature plants for personal use. Considering a well cared for indoor autoflower plant can do 1-2 oz of dry flower in 5-6 mo, you can have a pretty solid supply.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAleq View Post
Here in Oregon it's much more likely to find clones to grow to maturity and that's the way you want to go. An inexperienced grower doesn't know how to sex a young plant and can spend a lot of time and effort lovingly nurturing a male plant that has not a damned thing to offer. Additionally, growing from seed does not guarantee a good result due to phenotypes--the seeds of a given cross will have the same genetics as full siblings do, and my best advice about THAT is to go look at Ron and Clint Howard, who have the same parents but man, you don't want to go in expecting a Ron plant and getting a Clint, just sayin'.

A clone is an exact genetic copy of a proven strain and phenotype which will give you guaranteed results and so long as you don't stress it in the growing will be guaranteed to be female and not spew pollen all over the place, which ruins the fuck outta your nugs.
That post is nearly poetry. That Ron and Clint bit is beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
I didn't buy any, but when I was in Boulder last June they were selling 40 count bags of 5mg gummies for $18 including all fees and taxes and such. If one needs 20mg that's 10 highs for $18. I can't get drunk 10 times for $18.
Legal weed in WA is cheap! Cheaper than the illegal stuff in the late 80' and early 90's (I don't know what the illegal stuff cost prior to legalization). If you are a lightweight like me, it's very cost effective.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:48 PM

I live in Illinois too and am intrigued by all this. I haven't smoked much since the 80's. Do dispensaries only have gummies? I also hear about cookies and brownies, what's the difference(besides the obvious). Do they also sell regular smoke a these places too?
?
Old 12-05-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
You probably can get drunk ten times for $18. At least where I live, a 1.75L handle of the cheapest vodka is about $8.50. You can get drunk ten times off two of those.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 12-05-2019 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb33 View Post
I live in Illinois too and am intrigued by all this. I haven't smoked much since the 80's. Do dispensaries only have gummies? I also hear about cookies and brownies, what's the difference(besides the obvious). Do they also sell regular smoke a these places too?
?
Regular old marijuana ("flower"), prerolled joints, edible gummies, chocolates, etc., vape juice, concentrates, oils and such, non-psychoactive CBD products. Probably a few more.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
Regular old marijuana ("flower"), prerolled joints, edible gummies, chocolates, etc., vape juice, concentrates, oils and such, non-psychoactive CBD products. Probably a few more.
Can you get any strain you want? Can you ask for something like strawberry cough or granddaddy purple and get it at a dispensary?
Old Yesterday, 12:25 AM

Like any other store, a dispensary is limited to whatever strains the growers are turning out at the moment and fashion is a big driver because weed smokers are huge novelty whores who are constantly wanting to try the newest thing so the growers are busily crossing strains to accomodate that desire. In Oregon dispensaries are required to post the THC percentage of any strain they sell and usually also post the CBD and terpene profile. Most people are beelining straight for the 30%+ strains although a lot of folks find milder strains that fit their personal body chemistry more attractive. It's an interesting business--there are now two dispensaries on the way to the closest grocery store. I live in a food desert with more weed shops than food stores, go figure.
Old Yesterday, 12:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You probably can get drunk ten times for $18. At least where I live, a 1.75L handle of the cheapest vodka is about $8.50. You can get drunk ten times off two of those.
Alcohol wise that's about 60 beers. At my weight and tolerance it takes about 10-12 beers over the course of the night to really get baked (I'm equating an alcohol drunk to a THC high, which I realize is apples and oranges). I'm talking a BAC of .2 or higher.
So, no, I couldn't get drunk 10 times on that.

Plus I loath vodka in any form.
Old Yesterday, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Can you get any strain you want? Can you ask for something like strawberry cough or granddaddy purple and get it at a dispensary?
There are hundreds I think, so not everything, but most usually have a good selection of the sativa-hybrid-indica continuum.

The local one I'm checking has 14 sativa dominant and 14 indica (one on special) in the flower section.