Old 12-03-2019, 10:47 AM

So we have 3 actions (by me) here: urging MMM to have a polite conversation with Uncle Bob, disapproving of Donald Trump Jr's "trigger your family" invitation, and disapproving of Obama's "get in their faces" suggestion. Those all seem remarkably consistent with a "let's be civil to each other" attitude.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Are you serious? The President is looking out for the little guy, making sure that the liberal deep state military judicial establishment isn't punishing true warriors who know what needs to be done to kill ISIS and protect America!
And that's exactly what I heard from a retired Navy lifer who I talked to about this - well, not exactly exactly, because he's not a Trump partisan on other issues. But he said: "A platoon chief with 8 deployments under his belt doesn't deserve to lose his Trident because he was convicted of posing in a photo with a corpse. He was acquitted of the other stuff. The guys at the 'tip of the spear' who are out there doing the hardest jobs in the military need to know that someone has their back."
Old 12-03-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
And that's exactly what I heard from a retired Navy lifer who I talked to about this - well, not exactly exactly, because he's not a Trump partisan on other issues. But he said: "A platoon chief with 8 deployments under his belt doesn't deserve to lose his Trident because he was convicted of posing in a photo with a corpse. He was acquitted of the other stuff. The guys at the 'tip of the spear' who are out there doing the hardest jobs in the military need to know that someone has their back."
The guys that you need to have your back are the guys in your platoon. If they've reported you for what they believed to be war crimes, it should be of little comfort to you to have a president who was too much of a coward to serve to be watching your back. Especially given the president's backstabbing record.

Also, I read manson1972 comments as being facetious. I stand corrected if otherwise.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
I've never seen any Doper provide a number for what you ask. They usually handwave it away. Cognitive dissonance in action.
So you're saying it's cognitively dissonant to not see equivalency between the 2 administrations on this issue? Got any numbers to back that up?

Last edited by outlierrn; 12-03-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:05 PM

There is no Democratic policy that deliberately separated children from their families. This White House deliberately separated children from families, and they explained why - they're on record as advocating deliberately harming children by separating them from families to serve as a deterrent to future migrants.

I'm unaware of any other president from either party who ever advocated this.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
they're on record as advocating deliberately harming children by separating them from families to serve as a deterrent to future migrants.
A pretty good summation of terrorism.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

You can't convince him from across the table. You might be able to move him a distance on the porch sitting side by side and talking over a beer.

You'd have to be an exceptionally intellectually honest person to give any ground in a confrontation, especially with an audience. I know pitifully few of those on my own side in politics or even among my friends and I certainly don't count myself among them. I treasure them when they're the opposite of the isle, like the former National Auditor (Per Kristian Foss) who brought down his own government's plans and plots several time with an astounding brutal integrity.
Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
The guys that you need to have your back are the guys in your platoon. If they've reported you for what they believed to be war crimes, it should be of little comfort to you to have a president who was too much of a coward to serve to be watching your back. Especially given the president's backstabbing record.

Also, I read manson1972 comments as being facetious. I stand corrected if otherwise.
Facetious from me, yeah. But like Lamoral it's exactly what I heard from Trump supporting military retirees. Of course these are the same people who think a Sikh service member having a beard is the end of the military as we know it

Trump pardoning convicted war criminals? Protecting the military

Obama commuting Manning's sentence? A slap in the face to the military

You really can't win. Anything that Trump does is automatically the right thing to do.
Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Getting a measured number of talking points would be like measuring six tablespoons of water out of a fire hose.

Last edited by elucidator; Yesterday at 12:42 PM. Reason: D'oh! A dear, a female dear....