Old 11-27-2019, 10:10 AM

Democratic voters, what would you want accomplished in the event of a 2020 victory?

For those of you who plan to vote Democratic in 2020, what do you hope will be accomplished in the event of a victory? I'll outline two scenarios and then my wish list. Let's try to keep it to things that are at least a little realistic, let's say at least what you would estimate is around a 10% or so chance of happening. No impeachment of Kavanaugh or other things that you might want but are highly unlikely. Here are the two scenarios.

1. Democratic POTUS and house with a Republican senate.

2. Democratic POTUS and house with a Democratic senate.

In the first scenario my hope would be that the new POTUS will focus on reestablishing a more normal government by working on reforming the culture of the various cabinet departments. Bring in a leader in Border Patrol that will try to get rid of the racist rank and file border patrol agents. Bring in someone in EPA that will work to protect the environment rather than the interests of wealthy landowners out west or big oil. New secretaries for the branches of the Armed Services that will be loyal to the constitution and not to the new POTUS. The POTUS should also instruct the agencies responsible for such things to work as hard as possible on limiting the influence that Russia is exerting on western elections and try to limit that as much as possible. That would probably be the limits of what could be accomplished in this scenario. Meanwhile the political focus should be on winning the senate and keeping the house in 2022 on the assumption that by that time RBG will have passed and McConnell will refuse to confirm anyone to her seat.

In the second scenario my hope would be that in addition to the above executive branch reforms, that the legislative focus should be on something broadly popular. Save the Medicare for All until after 2022 and focus on something like an infrastructure bill. I would also hope that Ginsburg would retire in this scenario and that a young judge with similar political leanings is appointed to her seat, and that Breyer follow along soon thereafter.

Last edited by FlikTheBlue; 11-27-2019 at 10:11 AM. Reason: mixed up the two scenarios
Old 11-27-2019, 10:24 AM

See a certain president behind bars.

In the OP's second scenario, is there any way the ridiculousness of the tax cut can be reversed?
Old 11-27-2019, 10:25 AM

1- With Republican Senate, put good people in Cabinet who believe in the mission of the department and have some expertise. Practice good governance. Let the new AG prosecute Dolt45 if he/she wants to. Rebuild reputation with allies and stop coddling despots.

2- Strike when the iron is hot. All the above plus pass a public option, nuking the filibuster if need be. Put honest to God liberals on the Supreme Court. Outlaw gerrymandering.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlikTheBlue View Post
For those of you who plan to vote Democratic in 2020, what do you hope will be accomplished in the event of a victory? I'll outline two scenarios and then my wish list. Let's try to keep it to things that are at least a little realistic, let's say at least what you would estimate is around a 10% or so chance of happening. No impeachment of Kavanaugh or other things that you might want but are highly unlikely. Here are the two scenarios.

1. Democratic POTUS and house with a Republican senate.

2. Democratic POTUS and house with a Democratic senate.

In the first scenario my hope would be that the new POTUS will focus on reestablishing a more normal government by working on reforming the culture of the various cabinet departments. Bring in a leader in Border Patrol that will try to get rid of the racist rank and file border patrol agents. Bring in someone in EPA that will work to protect the environment rather than the interests of wealthy landowners out west or big oil. New secretaries for the branches of the Armed Services that will be loyal to the constitution and not to the new POTUS. The POTUS should also instruct the agencies responsible for such things to work as hard as possible on limiting the influence that Russia is exerting on western elections and try to limit that as much as possible. That would probably be the limits of what could be accomplished in this scenario. Meanwhile the political focus should be on winning the senate and keeping the house in 2022 on the assumption that by that time RBG will have passed and McConnell will refuse to confirm anyone to her seat.

In the second scenario my hope would be that in addition to the above executive branch reforms, that the legislative focus should be on something broadly popular. Save the Medicare for All until after 2022 and focus on something like an infrastructure bill. I would also hope that Ginsburg would retire in this scenario and that a young judge with similar political leanings is appointed to her seat, and that Breyer follow along soon thereafter.
1. Just a return to normalcy would be nice.

2. Barely win with a tiny margin in the senate:
Replace RBG and Breyer immediately
Give the heads of the branches of the armed forces the ability to reallocate military budgets a la McCain's proposal ($1 allocation for every $2 cut in spending, limit at 10% of total budget).

3. Landslide with a mandate:
Increase taxes with one dollar of spending cuts for every two dollars in increased taxes
Public option on obamacare
DACA legislation with increased border security and more funding for immigration courts.
Federal funding of flagship state universities (with funding based on electoral votes plus COLA).
Old 11-27-2019, 11:12 AM

Impeach and remove Brett Kavanaugh from SCOTUS. The sexual assault allegations aside, the man is unfit to be a Supreme Court Justice. He's a partisan hack who has benefited from naked cronyism his entire career, and shouldn't be appointed to adjudicate a hot-dog-eating contest.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMurdock View Post
Impeach and remove Brett Kavanaugh from SCOTUS. The sexual assault allegations aside, the man is unfit to be a Supreme Court Justice. He's a partisan hack who has benefited from naked cronyism his entire career, and shouldn't be appointed to adjudicate a hot-dog-eating contest.
I highly doubt this is even possible. If it did somehow happen 2022 and 2024 would be red tsunamis of such size that it would make 1994 and 2010 pale in comparison.

I’m hoping to hear more about what you all think is possible and beneficial in the long run.

Last edited by FlikTheBlue; 11-27-2019 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:12 PM

Ideally something like a truth and reconciliation commission for the Trump administration. I don't actually care too much if the people involved receive their just deserts or not, but I want every last crime, corruption and dirty trick of this administration laid out bare for historians, to serve as a lesson for future generations.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:39 PM

Immigration reform.

For all the rancor immigration stirs up, I believe this is an issue where (idealism alert) a bipartisan solution can be achieved. Throw out the nightmare tactics we have now and the "open borders" that only a tiny fringe actually wants, and you can probably find a good many points where Ds and Rs find they agree.

Not only would this accomplish a tangible good, it would demonstrate that compromise is once again possible and show what actual leadership looks like.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:42 PM

I will just be happy to see Trump gone and a few left leaning Supreme Court Justices get in. RBG should ride into retirement the day of the inauguration. Any other aging Justices should do the same.

Otherwise I would hope to rebuild our ties to our Allies and to stand against tyranny again instead of praising it.
Old 11-27-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I'm not a fan of his at all, but what exactly would you impeach him for? AFAIK, he hasn't perpetrated any crimes while a Justice, other than being odious.

Last edited by bump; 11-27-2019 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 03:30 PM

Yeah, the first and easiest thing would be to simply restore professionalism to the various departments of the Executive branch (easy in the sense that it wouldn't require Congressional co-operation, not in the sense of actually being easy), as the OP has nicely described. Other things the executive can do largely on its own would be to commit to aggressive enforcement of environmental protection and civil rights laws.

Policy-wise, I want the Democrats to commit themselves to a progressive path. That means single payer health care, an environmentally conscious infrastructure program (aka the Green New Deal), strict regulation of the financial sector, confiscatory tax rates aimed at eliminating the billionaire class, and immigration reform.

It's unlikely any of these ideas will be politically feasible in 2021, and that's fine. When you need to compromise, compromise. But I want Party leadership committed to keeping their eyes on the prize. I don't fault Obama for passing the ACA, that was the best he could do with that Congress. I fault him for spinning the ACA as a great victory, rather than as a small step in the right direction. That's why I support Bernie Sanders for President; he'll compromise when necessary, but he can be trusted to fight hard to get as much as possible accomplished.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:54 PM

For 2: Make PR and DC states ASAP. Change Senate rules if that's what it takes to make it happen. This should be the absolute #1 highest priority.

#2 priority: Lots of elections, transparency, and anti-corruption reform, specifically aimed at the terrible shit Trump allowed and did.

(note that the political messaging should make the anti-corruption stuff appear to be the #1 priority, but in actuality PR and DC statehood are #1).

Add a public option to the ACA at minimum (full universal healthcare if possible).

SCOTUS goodness as much as possible.

Higher minimum wage.

Labor reforms and union-strengthening.

Paid parental leave; universal child care or something that accomplishes the same.

Ban predatory lending.

Post office banks.

Lots of climate change goodness, including getting back into various international agreements.

Try and repair the Iran deal with diplomacy, not threats. Broader commitment to diplomacy overall. Back away from the Saudis -- they're not any better than Iran, IMO. Fairer and more hands-off middle east policy in general.

Just off the top of my head so far, I'm sure there's a lot more I'd like. It'd be unlikely all of this could get accomplished in the first term, much less the first 2 years.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Get rid of the racist RealID. Why the FUCK do you need to prove you are a citizen to get a plane ride?

Get rid of Trumps tax cuts for the rich. Increase the marginal tax rates on the VERY rich. (Brings in more $)

Fund SocSec for the next century by taking off the limit on FICA taxes.

Sort sort of Immigration fix, with amnesty deals for those who have been here for a decade, kept their nose clean and paid their taxes.

Get rid of the GOP Jim Crow laws.

Give Associate Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg seven medals and let her retire in glory. Breyer next.

Fix the student loan program- at least let them declare bankruptcy.

None of these are crazy, none cost anything significant.

Now, once those are done, we can look into real Medicare for all (not sanders loony plan which has nothing whatsoever to do with medicare), climate change, etc.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:12 PM

The highest priority should be to retain Democratic control in the 2022 and 2024 elections. This might be difficult: there are predictions of recession in 2021; slowdown might be exacerbated if fears of high spending (on M4A, student debt forgiveness, etc.) lead to a loss of investor confidence.

So the D's need to "thread a needle": make enough improvements to Obamacare to keep leftists on-board, but not make the severe moves that would cause chaos or exacerbate the impending loss of business confidence.

Quote:
Kavanaugh's blatant partisanship — the vile hatred he expressed toward all Democrats — was very visible during the hearings. His confirmation is tangible proof of how putrid GOP partisanship has become.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlikTheBlue View Post
... If [Kavanaugh impeachment] did somehow happen 2022 and 2024 would be red tsunamis of such size that it would make 1994 and 2010 pale in comparison.
I'm afraid this may be correct. Increasing SCOTUS to 11 or 13 justices might be even less acceptable. But it will be a real shame to see these mean right-wingers retain veto power over America's future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
1. Just a return to normalcy would be nice.
3. Landslide with a mandate:
Increase taxes with one dollar of spending cuts for every two dollars in increased taxes
Public option on obamacare
DACA legislation with increased border security and more funding for immigration courts.
Federal funding of flagship state universities (with funding based on electoral votes plus COLA).
I agree with "public option" and "DACA legislation." But "spending cuts" confuses me, Except for military, federal spending has been cut to the bone already and then some.
And "funding 'flagship' universities based on electoral votes" seems to me like a peculiar right-wing idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
Ideally something like a truth and reconciliation commission for the Trump administration. I don't actually care too much if the people involved receive their just deserts or not, but I want every last crime, corruption and dirty trick of this administration laid out bare for historians, to serve as a lesson for future generations.
Perhaps. But again, it's important not to annoy the fragile voter coalition that led to 2020 victory in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
Yeah, the first and easiest thing would be to simply restore professionalism to the various departments of the Executive branch (easy in the sense that it wouldn't require Congressional co-operation, not in the sense of actually being easy), as the OP has nicely described. Other things the executive can do largely on its own would be to commit to aggressive enforcement of environmental protection and civil rights laws.

Policy-wise, I want the Democrats to commit themselves to a progressive path. That means single payer health care, an environmentally conscious infrastructure program (aka the Green New Deal), strict regulation of the financial sector, confiscatory tax rates aimed at eliminating the billionaire class, and immigration reform.

It's unlikely any of these ideas will be politically feasible in 2021, and that's fine. When you need to compromise, compromise. But I want Party leadership committed to keeping their eyes on the prize. I don't fault Obama for passing the ACA, that was the best he could do with that Congress. I fault him for spinning the ACA as a great victory, rather than as a small step in the right direction. That's why I support Bernie Sanders for President; he'll compromise when necessary, but he can be trusted to fight hard to get as much as possible accomplished.
I strongly agree with most of Thing Fish's post. Except I don't think wealth tax is needed. If some young guy headed for $20 billion ends up with just $10 billion instead, would that satisfy you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
For 2: Make PR and DC states ASAP. Change Senate rules if that's what it takes to make it happen. This should be the absolute #1 highest priority.

#2 priority: Lots of elections, transparency, and anti-corruption reform, specifically aimed at the terrible shit Trump allowed and did.

(note that the political messaging should make the anti-corruption stuff appear to be the #1 priority, but in actuality PR and DC statehood are #1).

Add a public option to the ACA at minimum (full universal healthcare if possible).

SCOTUS goodness as much as possible.

Higher minimum wage.

Labor reforms and union-strengthening.

Paid parental leave; universal child care or something that accomplishes the same.

Ban predatory lending.

Post office banks.

Lots of climate change goodness, including getting back into various international agreements.

Try and repair the Iran deal with diplomacy, not threats. Broader commitment to diplomacy overall. Back away from the Saudis -- they're not any better than Iran, IMO. Fairer and more hands-off middle east policy in general.

Just off the top of my head so far, I'm sure there's a lot more I'd like. It'd be unlikely all of this could get accomplished in the first term, much less the first 2 years.
I agree with iiandyiiii's post even more. I do especially like his #1 and #2 priorities.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:49 PM

Pass the Fair Representation Act and lower the age of Medicare qualification to 64 with a promise of more reductions to come.

More later but that's where I'd want them to start. I also endorse statehood for DC and PR. Time those citizens got a square deal.
Old 11-30-2019, 10:04 PM

[list]
Re-entry into climate policy agreements and a plan that helps this country make meaningful progress on its goals.

Support of the ACA inclusive of a public option.

A more just taxation system that helps address some of increasing wealth inequality of this nation.

Actually addressing some of the serious problems that face rural America (see Klobuchar's and Buttigieg's plans for some widely thought as actually aimed at doing something real).

Federal laws that reduce gerrymandering.

Yes good SCOTUS picks as they come up, along with other good judiciary choices.

Real work on preventing additional foreign election meddling.

That's enough to start!
Old 12-01-2019, 02:20 AM

spending the first 100 days reestablishing every protected right and status that was taken away by executive order...
Old 12-01-2019, 04:07 AM

Huh. I agree with a lot of stuff here, but it never even occurred to me to make DC and PR statehood number 1. I do think we have things we need to fix in Puerto Rico, and I can see that as high priority. And I do support giving representation of some sort to both it and DC, just not as a high priority position.

Repairing the damage of Trump has to be the top priority--which actually includes that part about what he did to Puerto Rico. We have to have a functioning democracy before we can fix the rest. Preventing Roe v. Wade from being undone has to be up there, too, even though passing a law risks a huge backlash. Getting LGBT issues made a suspect class and fixing the homophobic and transphobic decisions is necessary.

And there has to be a focus on helping the economically disadvantaged, as this is a huge part of what drives the anti-Democratic position. So many poor white people are convinced that the Republicans have their back on this. I genuinely believe that, if we make a significant dent in this, we'll find opposition to the last two parts of the previous paragraph diminishing greatly.

We've already seen how flimsy the conservative principles are when there was a Republican candidate who just unleashed fury on the libs. We make a mistake in assuming they are what the conservatives really care about.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:28 AM

With partisanship still at shrill levels, and worldwide recession likely in 2021, working towards Democratic successes in the 2022 and 2024 elections should be one of the very highest priorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Huh. I agree with a lot of stuff here, but it never even occurred to me to make DC and PR statehood number 1.
Puerto Rico is larger than 21 states. It's time to give them statehood if they want it. DC is larger than two states.

And, although I cannot speak for iiandyiiii, it seems quite clear to me that adding Senate and EC representation for these 51st and 52nd states would make better future outcomes more likely.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Another vote for return to normalcy. No matter what happens in the Senate, I'd like to:

1. Fix the agencies -
one of the issues is that the current administration is trying to run the federal government like a small, family owned business. And it isn't. It's giant and the person in charge needs to hire competent people and delegate down. The current administrator feels the need to be involved in every decision (instead of setting a broad agenda and direction for subordinates to follow.) And it's making a mess of things. Even if it's a much smaller, much more streamlined administration - I'd like to see competent people installed who are empowered to work. And also people who are vetted, confirmed, and responsible to the government and the people. Not just "acting" officials who have no accountability.

2. Return to Diplomacy. Our relationship and reputation with other countries is in tatters - I'm not sure if we can ever return to our former position now that they see how easily we can go off the rails. But at least it can be functional again. I liked our position in the world much better before.

I do not think that either party is in favor with the current situation on either of those two things - I know Republicans want a smaller government, but I think most of them would prefer to make strategic decisions rather than the mess that is currently in place. I believe that most people of both parties were taken aback when the current officeholder started a large scale snit fit with Canada.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

1) Addressing climate change in a major way. If we don't do this, everything else is deck chairs on the Titanic. There are things we can fix a decade or three down the road if we botch them now. This is not one of them.

Assuming we manage that:

2) Make illegal all the ways that state and local governments make it hard for people to vote, and (by gerrymandering and the like) keep their votes from counting.

3) Do things that make a big difference in people's lives quickly: increase the minimum wage substantially (immediately to at least $10 on the way to $15), make college affordable and drastically reduce student debt, empower unions (including outlawing right-to-work) so that workers have leverage to address the particular problems at their own workplaces, pass a national abortion-rights law that would supersede state laws, lower the Medicare eligibility age to 50.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post

Puerto Rico is larger than 21 states. It's time to give them statehood if they want it. DC is larger than two states.
I dont think PR wants it.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:40 PM

I want the next president to avoid use of twitter except in the case of official announcements (that are professionally conducted) and marking calendar events.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Then cut them loose. Give them a binary choice between statehood or independence. It is not seemly for the US to have "possessions".
Old 12-01-2019, 08:16 PM

* Starting M4A & SS expansion
* Legalization of marijuana
* Decriminalization of drugs
* Criminal justice reform
* Stop funding yemen genocide
* Stop aiding israel war crimes
* Starting process to rationally pull out middle east
* ending "regime change wars"
* Starting abolishing DHS, reallocating needed agencies, while defunding and lettin ICE die.
* Ending concentration camps
* A pathway to citizenship for undocumented people
* Reuniting children with their families and reparations
* Higher federal minimum wage
* Crack down on tax loopholes the rich use.

off the top of my head.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Given what Trump did to them, that might have changed.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Why do you think that?

Statehood was polling at 52% before the last referendum on it in PR, to 17% current status, 15% free association/independence, 9% abstain, and 7% undecided. Voting (with major anti parties boycotting) had a 23% turnout which went 97% for statehood.

That doesn't seem like something that supports what you think even if the poor turnout does not allow that 97% yes vote to be convincing evidence that most do want it.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
Why do you think that?

Statehood was polling at 52% before the last referendum on it in PR, to 17% current status, 15% free association/independence, 9% abstain, and 7% undecided. Voting (with major anti parties boycotting) had a 23% turnout which went 97% for statehood.

That doesn't seem like something that supports what you think even if the poor turnout does not allow that 97% yes vote to be convincing evidence that most do want it.
Hmm, I was thinking back too far, looking into it, yes, a small majority want statehood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stateh...in_Puerto_Rico
Old 12-01-2019, 09:38 PM

We need a fully empowered independent commission to untangle the Trump crime syndicate and every corrupt act that it committed, and prosecute those who helped abet or conceal those acts.

These mobsters aren't going away after Trump leaves office, the rest of their careers will be devoted not to governing but to gaining more power and covering their own tracks. It's naive to think the government can do anything useful until this cancer is fully exposed and removed.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
We need a fully empowered independent commission to untangle the Trump crime syndicate and every corrupt act that it committed, and prosecute those who helped abet or conceal those acts.

These mobsters aren't going away after Trump leaves office, the rest of their careers will be devoted not to governing but to gaining more power and covering their own tracks. It's naive to think the government can do anything useful until this cancer is fully exposed and removed.
I'll agree that corruption, white-collar crime, and contemptible behavior by the super-rich are big problems in America. We've got to put an end to the regulatory "revolving door." I've not been a fan of term limits, but perhaps stark measures like that are necessary to reduce corruption. More power should be given to anti-corruption inspectors. More white-collar criminals shuld be sent to prison. Perhaps the left-wing is right, and corporations should be made accountable to their employees, customers and the public.

BUT I do not see a"Trump crime syndicate" as a large or central part of this. (Does this term encompass high-ranking government officials who'd never met Trump but became Trump-enablers? Yes, they should be demoted or dismissed.) The problems of corruption are far broader than just Trump and his mob. As just one recent example, there were allegations of criminal conduct against Devin Nunes before he ever met Trump.

Any broad-based anti-corruption purge will become too political. Clinton's "Nannygate" will be revisited, and so on. It's better just to look toward the future.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:54 AM

From what I see from above:

Universal healthcare (which I am for)
Higher taxes on the rich (which I am for but I doubt will happen because they control both parties plus they will just move their money off shore)
Open borders (call it what you want but if you abolish ICE and get rid of ways to control refugees and discourage them from coming, its open borders)
Pullout of US troops overseas (which I'm for)

Now I dont tend to vote democrat but I would like to see;
An increase in medicaid funding.
More k-12 funding.
End of policies that discourage fatherhood.
End the collusion between drug companies and insurance companies that cause alot of the high costs of healthcare.
Apply marketplace solutions to environmental issues ( I would love to see someone become a billionaire by developing something like new solar panels)
Elimination of the penny.
Reboot of Star Wars after Disney has screwed it up.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
BUT I do not see a"Trump crime syndicate" as a large or central part of this. (Does this term encompass high-ranking government officials who'd never met Trump but became Trump-enablers? Yes, they should be demoted or dismissed.) The problems of corruption are far broader than just Trump and his mob. As just one recent example, there were allegations of criminal conduct against Devin Nunes before he ever met Trump.
The Trump crime syndicate did not cause these things, but it's a blinking red warning light that these behaviors are now considered business as usual by the GOP. It would be dangerously irresponsible to leave that signal unchallenged. If we decide to let bygones be bygones, then someone else is going to do everything Trump did, and take it to a higher level. And soon.

You can't always remove all the cancer, but you can remove the biggest tumors and treat the remaining ones with the next best means. It may not work but the alternative is to let the patient die.

And to reiterate, leaving the patient sick means it can't do things it normally would (the analogy being a healthy government with democratic institutions that can execute policy on behalf of the people).
Old 12-02-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
I've not been a fan of term limits, but perhaps stark measures like that are necessary to reduce corruption.
Term limits would increase corruption. Politicians in their final term, facing imminent unemployment and no accountability to the electorate, would be motivated to graft while the grafting is good.

The example that proves the rule is SCOTUS justices. They aren't accountable to the electorate, nor should they be, but they also shouldn't enjoy a lifetime term of unaccountable decision-making as their brains slowly turn to mush while they lose touch with the changing world around them.

Last edited by HMS Irruncible; 12-02-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:16 AM

I'm not an American (and hence not a Democrat voter), but if I were, one of the biggest political problems in the USA is gerrymandering, and other efforts to subvert the democratic will of the people. It feeds into many of the other issues that face the USA. If I were the Democrats, then I would make every effort to make a national anti-gerrymandering law.

Last edited by BeepKillBeep; 12-02-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeepKillBeep View Post
I'm not an American (and hence not a Democrat voter), but if I were, one of the biggest political problems in the USA is gerrymandering, and other efforts to subvert the democratic will of the people. It feeds into many of the other issues that face the USA. If I were the Democrats, then I would make every effort to make a national anti-gerrymandering law.
I tend to agree. That's one of the primary tap roots of the systemic problems we face. Right now, every decade the party in power basically gets to redraw the electoral districts in their own favor, however they perceive that to be.

What we end up with is legislative districts that don't reflect the actual makeup of the electorate- you have places like Texas that are a lot closer to Republican/Democrat parity than the makeup of the Congressional delegation or the State Legislature would indicate. And at least in Texas, the boundaries are typically drawn to emphasize rural and suburban areas, and minimize urban ones, which is interesting because something like 2/3 of the Texas population lives in the Houston, Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin, and San Antonio metro areas, and something like half live within the cities proper.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:09 AM

A lot of policy stuff would be secondary for me. There are a lot of really fucked up structural things that need to be addressed. The senate is a completely broken institution that gives veto power on legislation, cabinet positions, and the judiciary to a bunch of empty land. That can't be fixed, but statehood for DC and PR would help a lot.

*Major voting rights protections.
*Legalization of marijuana and restoring voting rights to related felons
* Merrick Garland and Kavanaugh lying under oath during his confirmation make stacking SCOTUS acceptable for me, but I would worry about the backlash in future elections. Might be worth it anyway
* Anti-gerrymandering legislation

Then, yes, lots of healthcare; restoring normalcy to DHS, DOE, EPA, etc; normalizing foreign relations, affirming NATO and SK alliances; start taking in refugees again; immigration reform; ...
Old 12-02-2019, 11:42 AM

I can't strongly emphasize enough how much I agree that making DC and Puerto Rico states should be top priority. Seriously, giving them statehood is such a small drop in the bucket in terms of amelioriating the Democrats' structural disadvantage in the Senate that it amazes me that doing this is even a controversial idea. We should really be making *all* of the territories states (so American Samoa, Guam, the Virgin Islands, etc.) and look at breaking CA into 6 or 7 smaller states if we actually wanted to fix the Senate.

Expanding the House is a good idea, too.

Basically I think that institutional reforms should be prioritized because everything else I want becomes easier after that. Hell, the next Dem POTUS should demand the resignation of Gorsuch and Kavanaugh from SCOTUS in his/her inauguration speech, and if those partisan hacks refuse to step down then SCOTUS should be increased to 15-20 Justices.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:03 PM

Ranked choice voting. Campaign finance reform. DC statehood. Anything that increases small d democracy.
Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM

Quote:
The highest priority should be to retain Democratic control in the 2022 and 2024 elections. This might be difficult: there are predictions of recession in 2021; slowdown might be exacerbated if fears of high spending (on M4A, student debt forgiveness, etc.) lead to a loss of investor confidence.
The problem is that the economy is running on a Keynesian sugar high fueled by unfunded tax cuts and military spending.

Quote:
Kavanaugh's blatant partisanship — the vile hatred he expressed toward all Democrats — was very visible during the hearings. His confirmation is tangible proof of how putrid GOP partisanship has become.
To be fair, the attacks against him were pretty partisan.

Replacing a swing vote like Kennedy with a staunch conservative like Kavanaugh was just as problematic for the Democrats as replacing Scalia with Garland.

Ultimately, The Democrats couldn't do anything because we failed to retain the senate in 2014 (we lost nine fucking seats. NINE!!!) and then we failed to beat Trump in 2016.

Quote:
I'm afraid this may be correct. Increasing SCOTUS to 11 or 13 justices might be even less acceptable. But it will be a real shame to see these mean right-wingers retain veto power over America's future.
Elections have consequences.

Quote:
I agree with "public option" and "DACA legislation." But "spending cuts" confuses me, Except for military, federal spending has been cut to the bone already and then some.
Really? AFAICT, every department in the government has seen an increase in their budget between 2016 and 2018. That's how Trump has been keeping this economy going. He has been goosing consumption by reducing taxes without reducing spending. It's Keynesian deficit spending.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/historical-tables/

Look at tables 5.4 and 5.6

I could cut costs in about every department. Defense/Military is about half of discretionary spending so about half of the cuts would come from there.

Military spending used to be half of the discretionary budget so as a percentage of spending, social programs have gone up considerably as a percentage of discretionary spending and discretionary spending generally has gone up considerably overall.

Quote:
And "funding 'flagship' universities based on electoral votes" seems to me like a peculiar right-wing idea.
Why is it right wing? Free state college education is a pretty progressive idea.
Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM

I'd like to see the new POTUS do a televised address where (s)he apologizes to the people of earth who were either harmed or insulted during the previous administration. If the POTUS can speak some Spanish, it would be nice to apologize to those people in Mexico, Central/South America in their tongue.
Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ManyTacos View Post
I can't strongly emphasize enough how much I agree that making DC and Puerto Rico states should be top priority. Seriously, giving them statehood is such a small drop in the bucket in terms of amelioriating the Democrats' structural disadvantage in the Senate that it amazes me that doing this is even a controversial idea. We should really be making *all* of the territories states (so American Samoa, Guam, the Virgin Islands, etc.) and look at breaking CA into 6 or 7 smaller states if we actually wanted to fix the Senate.
Breaking California into six states doesn’t mean we get twelve democratic senators. You’d get Democrats from the state that has LA, and the state that has the Bay Area, and the rest are likely to be Republican.
Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM

Quote:
The problem is that the economy is running on a Keynesian sugar high fueled by unfunded tax cuts and military spending.
True. This was tried — on a smaller scale and with different priorities — in the late 1960's and led to Richard Nixon taking the U.S. off the gold standard.

Trying this now, with record-low interest rates as additional sugar, and with fiat money, poses severe risks. The prices of stocks and bonds are being buoyed up by record corporate profits and millionaire incomes, beneficiaries of the tax cuts. I'm surprised more attention isn't paid to a likely fall in stock prices when the D's gain power.

Quote:
To be fair, the attacks against him were pretty partisan.
No. Unless you're using a strange definition of "partisan attacks." But BK's shrill animosity toward the Democratic Party was on display decades before the hearings.
Quote:
Really? AFAICT, every department in the government has seen an increase in their budget between 2016 and 2018. That's how Trump has been keeping this economy going. He has been goosing consumption by reducing taxes without reducing spending. It's Keynesian deficit spending.
Are there good articles showing WHAT specifically the money is targeted for? The big boost in Corps of Engineers is presumably about The Wall. What about HUD? Transportation?

Quote:
Why is it right wing? Free state college education is a pretty progressive idea.
Education at California state colleges (and the public university) were heavily subsidized in the past ... By California taxpayers. My objection isn't to free education. It's to "flagship colleges in proportion to electoral votes." We give EC votes for President to Empty Land, or so it's said. Do we also need federal assistance to that empty land, for the land's education?

And I'm not sure the Crimson Tide University has the same stature as Univ of Calif. Would the plan call for federal support to teach Creationism, a Christian view of history, and Mises.org economics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Breaking California into six states doesn’t mean we get twelve democratic senators. You’d get Democrats from the state that has LA, and the state that has the Bay Area, and the rest are likely to be Republican.
You could get 3 or even 4 states, all Democrat, if you draw the boundaries right. Of course the gerrymandering would be quite blatant.

Last edited by septimus; Yesterday at 01:23 PM.