Old 12-04-2019, 02:25 PM

Hot Toddy Recipes

Woke up with a sore throat a couple of days ago, so I've been sipping hot toddies throughout the day.

We make ours with

1/2 cup whiskey
1 dash of brandy
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 big ass squirt of honey
fill the cup up with boiling water

Frankly, it's gotten dull. Other ideas?

(I like spicy and flavorful, but not hot for the sake of hot. Other people might, though, so feel free to suggest whatever.)
Old 12-04-2019, 02:55 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Action

Moving thread from IMHO to Cafe Society.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

I used to drink a "hot brick" when I had a sore throat or a cold. Here is a sample recipe, but I've seen them made with honey and cinnamon.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
I used to drink a "hot brick" when I had a sore throat or a cold. Here is a sample recipe, but I've seen them made with honey and cinnamon.
The butter is interesting. I think I'll try that one tonight. Thanks!
Old 12-04-2019, 07:11 PM

I make a mug of strong black tea and throw in lemon, honey and a drop of booze, whatever's handy and sounds good.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by araminty View Post
I make a mug of strong black tea and throw in lemon, honey and a drop of booze, whatever's handy and sounds good.
I was going to say, I don't know a lot of hot toddy variations, but I base mine on black tea instead of just hot water. I mean, sure you can sex it up with some cinnamon and other Christmas/mulling spices if you'd like, but I just do tea, lemon, honey, whiskey or brandy (I've never done both.)
Old 12-04-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreysonCarlisle View Post
The butter is interesting. I think I'll try that one tonight. Thanks!
A good twist on a classic hot buttered rum.

You can make up a batch of this and it will store nicely for a good long while in your refrigerator, available as colds and sore throats require. Substitute preferred liquor as you choose. A squeeze of lemon never hurts.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:17 AM

As a Scot, a hot toddy has always been simply a Whisky and hot water. None of the rest of that nonsense. Certainly not putting brandy in there. Sure, if you want to have Brandy and hot water, fill your boots, but don't mix them...
Old 12-05-2019, 07:24 AM

Ginger tea and dark rum. Kind of a variation on a Dark & Stormy, but hot and without the carbonation.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post

You can make up a batch of this and it will store nicely for a good long while in your refrigerator, available as colds and sore throats require. Substitute preferred liquor as you choose. A squeeze of lemon never hurts.
I'll make a small batch of that later on to see if we like it. If so, I'll put some by for next time. Didn't get to try the Hot Brick. Took a nap on the couch and woke up feeling a little hung over, so I figured I'd had enough for one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smid View Post
As a Scot, a hot toddy has always been simply a Whisky and hot water. None of the rest of that nonsense. Certainly not putting brandy in there. Sure, if you want to have Brandy and hot water, fill your boots, but don't mix them...
The brandy is probably my own addition. It gives me a warm, cozy feeling... if I know I'm drinking some. But hey, I'll take the placebo effect during Difficult Days.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:25 AM

It doesn't fit the strict definition of a hot toddy, but my go to when I'm sick is hot apple cider with a splash of orange, a bit of butter, and some rum.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:28 AM

I had a Rakomelo at a Greek restaurant. Wonderfully yummy for a cold fall evening.

Luckily I have a 1 L bottle of homemade Raki waiting for consumption. Just haven't tried making it myself. Not yet.

Otherwise
Whisky
Honey or Elderberry syrup
Hot water

No tea. Just makes things complicated because I have to wait for it to steep.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:49 AM

One of my favorite hot drinks for a cold night, though not necessarily recommended for the treatment of sore throats.

Desperado:

1 shot brandy
1 shot Amaretto
Twist of lemon peel (large)

Blend liquors in a brandy glass. Twist the peel over to release the oils, then drop the peel into the drink. Heat briefly in the microwave -- it will get warm/hot quick. Enjoy, but do be careful breathing the fumes after heating the drink. They are potent!
Old 12-05-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBeans View Post
It doesn't fit the strict definition of a hot toddy, but my go to when I'm sick is hot apple cider with a splash of orange, a bit of butter, and some rum.
Quote:
One of my favorite hot drinks for a cold night, though not necessarily recommended for the treatment of sore throats.

Desperado:

1 shot brandy
1 shot Amaretto
Twist of lemon peel (large)

Blend liquors in a brandy glass. Twist the peel over to release the oils, then drop the peel into the drink. Heat briefly in the microwave -- it will get warm/hot quick. Enjoy, but do be careful breathing the fumes after heating the drink. They are potent!
I'll make both of those for my girlfriend this winter. She's always looking for a new, hot drink, and she loves cider and amaretto.
Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Quote:

Made a batch of both of these today. And I would like to thank both of you for the impending coronaries soon to be suffered by my girlfriend and me. Man, that's a lotta butter!

But--oh my god!--we agree that those are the two most amazing winter drinks we've ever tried. Thanks!