Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Peebles View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Presumably the "chamber" being referred to is either the House of Representatives or the Senate. And the vote was, presumably, when the committee was established and given its authority. In the case of the House Intelligence Committee, this would have been in the 1970s. Any other questions?
That woud be a very broad "broad subject area". Where is their enumeration of those broad subject areas written? Until your post I thought the "broad subject area" would have to be "Trump/Ukraine". But I think you are saying back in the 1970's the house voted to issue subpoenas in such a broad manner that it could be used here. Again, point me to the text.
Wait, are you trying to assign busy work to me? If you're not interested in doing it, why should I? Because it seems obvious to me that the House Intelligence Committee has broad powers, because its subject area is broad. Why don't you look for the legislation that set up the committee to find answers to your questions?
Old Yesterday, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Fun indeed, but not quite complete. It tells how recent (R) House majorities led to many subpoenas against (D) administrations but very very few against an (R) president. That's not unexpected. But are House majorities all so partisan when on the hunt? Where can I find numbers for the other sessions since, say, 1986?
Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
Fun indeed, but not quite complete. It tells how recent (R) House majorities led to many subpoenas against (D) administrations but very very few against an (R) president. That's not unexpected. But are House majorities all so partisan when on the hunt? Where can I find numbers for the other sessions since, say, 1986?
Google? Make a FOIA request?

Do you have a point or just curious? Searching for a tu quoque perhaps?

Last edited by Hamlet; Yesterday at 05:23 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM

Quote:

I think it's a perfectly reasonable question. I thought the same thing when I read your quote from the link. Is it just something that both sides do, or are the Republicans just jerks? Although, it looks like there would be a small window to examine Democratic subpeonas, 2006 to 2010, going off the top of my head.
Old Yesterday, 09:44 PM

Quote:
I lazily hoped that someone else would expend the effort for me.

Quote:
No point, merely curious for context. Has hostile, partisan subpoenaing increased with the hyper-partisan-ization of US politics? I arbitrarily pegged that around mid-Reagan.
Old Yesterday, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
I arbitrarily pegged that around mid-Reagan.
Bear in mind that this puts you square in the midst of Iran Contra, when the Republican administration was breaking the law, so a spike in congressional subpoenas would have been expected.