Old 12-04-2019, 05:01 PM

I don't get it. Hunter gatherers are often lauded for not wasting a single part of the animals they hunt, yet when someone finds a way of using all the "non prime" bits, that's apparently disgusting!!
Old 12-04-2019, 05:11 PM

You're so right. I still don't wanna eat guts. I try not to think about what part of the ingredient 'beef' includes guts.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
You're so right. I still don't wanna eat guts. I try not to think about what part of the ingredient 'beef' includes guts.
I'm pretty sure offal is not allowed to be sold simply as "beef." I believe it must be muscle meat (but that may include the muscly parts of the heart -- I'm not sure. The description says it's made of the trimmings left over after processing primary cuts, so I don't think it would include heart.)
Old 12-04-2019, 07:18 PM

Oh, thank heavens. I bought a case if Steak-ums at Sam's club today.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Oh, thank heavens. I bought a case if Steak-ums at Sam's club today.
Oh, yay! Steak-Umms by the case! Don't worry about what's in them: just smile and chew, smile and chew.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Twit View Post
I'm pretty sure that the clown based international fast food burger emporium and cholesterol distributor uses something very similar for their "steak, egg and cheese bagel" sandwich.
Unfortunately they haven't sold this sandwich in a few years now (much to my disappointment), and also they used a real piece of steak and not processed meat like Steak-ums.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
Unfortunately they haven't sold this sandwich in a few years now (much to my disappointment), and also they used a real piece of steak and not processed meat like Steak-ums.
They're available at my local and the meat looks pretty processed to me. This time last year, I was cooking them on the griddle for the clown.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:36 PM

http://www.grubstreet.com/2012/04/wh...teak-umms.html
apparently they were created to counter too tough meat in the cheesesteaks

they used to be expensive so we just went for hot pockets instead
Old 12-04-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Twit View Post
They're available at my local and the meat looks pretty processed to me. This time last year, I was cooking them on the griddle for the clown.
Best I could find was that they were eliminated from most of the locations sometime prior to 2017 but remain at a handful of locations (as of 2017). The meat is listed as Chopped Steak to make it more tender/easier to bite through which is a far cry different than emulsified scraps/trimmings.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:45 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Gyros are made from squished up meat formed into cones, and slices are carved of it for, well, gyros.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Gyros are made from squished up meat formed into cones, and slices are carved of it for, well, gyros.
Yes, that is one popular type of gyros (which I believe originated here in Chicago with either Kronos, Central Gyros, or Olympia Foods, depending on whom you ask), but there's plenty of non-emulsified meat cones of gyros out there, as well.
Old Yesterday, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

I eat Scrapple. So, bring on your distasteful meat by-products !!

You're sweating the loss of this kind of very thin meat. Do what countless folks do who want to make a decent cheesesteak. ( Side Note: I am from Philly. Only non-natives call the sandwich " Philly Cheesesteaks ". We call them cheesesteaks. )

You take a mediocre cut of meat. A cheap one. I dunno- London Broil or something. Freeze it solid. Like, use your Mom's deep freezer. Then call around and ask a butcher if they will slice frozen meat for you. Cause, it's the thin slice as well as the cut of meat that makes a really good cheesesteak. Lots of butchers will be glad to slice your frozen meat on their slicer. Now, you need to keep it frozen HARD to slice properly. Cooler, dry ice, etc. Put a little spine into this project !!!

Problem solved.

And, if I may add, it's really all about the bread. If you cannot source some fairly fresh Amoroso's Rolls, then you're already struggling uphill. And, Wiz. Cheese Wiz. Pardon my language but fuck provolone cheese.
Old Yesterday, 11:14 PM

Seriously, Cheeze Wiz.
Fighting ignorance, indeed!
Old Today, 12:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartooniverse View Post
Only non-natives call the sandwich " Philly Cheesesteaks ". We call them cheesesteaks.
Well, that's true of pretty much any local or regional food. As the old line goes: "You know what they call Chinese food in China? Food."
Old Today, 12:25 AM

And THEN we can talk about haggis!

~VOW
Old Today, 12:49 AM

...honestly Steak-Umm's sound absolutely horrible.

But the Steak-Umm's twitter account is the best corporate-branded twitter account out there. The person who runs the account posts everything from vapid nonsense to self-aware styles of tweets best described here:

Quote:
Steak-umm, though previously a largely irrelevant frozen meat brand, is now known for making staunchly anti-capitalist hot takes on their official Twitter account. They began gaining popularity for their self-aware style of tweeting. that was both critical of the relatable brand trend and self-effacing towards their very own corporate standing. The immediate reaction was a sort of bemused fascination with the fact that some person was hired to manage the image of this company and instead they were using it to schmear them and others. I even remember retweeting their “Brands can’t be woke” tweet. It expressed exactly how I felt in a way that seemed too ironically detached to be a real ad for a real brand. But as it turns out, Steak-umm is very real, and the person behind the account is not getting fired anytime soon.
http://www.thebatt.com/opinion/opini...4b209b03c.html

You can't buy them here: but based on the twitter account alone (even though it sounds horrible) I'm keen to give them a try.
Old Today, 01:24 AM

Hell, yeah! I knew I was smart for liking these Steak-ums!

(You rock, beckda-freakin'-wrek!!)
Old Today, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Hell, yeah! I knew I was smart for liking these Steak-ums!

(You rock, beckda-freakin'-wrek!!)
...this was my favourite tweet from them: there isn't a single other corporate twitter account that I think comes close to them in terms of "not feeling corporate"(even though they are) (The Sonic the Hedgehog twitter account comes close. His burn of Jim Sterling was legendary)