View Poll Results: Did you known who Jussie Smollett was before this year?
Yes 19 6.67%
No 238 83.51%
Who? 28 9.82%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2019, 08:23 AM

I cancelled tv and cable after the final season of the Sopranos aired on HBO in 2007. There are an amazing amount of actors and tv shows I'm completely unaware of. Jussie Smollett is one, though I was aware there was a show called Empire.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
1. I knew Empire from the commercials. I think Fox was advertising it hard during football.

2. I knew who the two stars are and am a fan of their work.

3. I never watched the show. As someone who hates the genre of music it’s about I’m not the demographic they are looking for.
1. Same, I only know of any network TV show before it gets to Netflix or Prime, if so, by seeing promo's during sports event broadcasting. So I'd heard of "Empire".

2. I knew who Terrance Howard was by name and face, only knew the female lead by face until recently, no knowledge of Smollett, name, face or character in the show till the hoax story.

3. I don't watch network TV at all besides sports. I rarely get into originally network shows on the streaming services either, just a few. I'm not a person of particularly 'high' taste but the general 'feel' of modern broadcast shows is rarely to my liking, the stereotypes, the 'teachable moments'. Every form of video entertainment has these, and everybody is used to some set of them from their formative years, but those on today's network TV shows are just too heavy handed to stomach generally for me. The saving grace of some network shows is if they were long running, so you can get into them on a streaming service, watch an episode a night for a awhile while being totally lazy, not expending the small mental effort to get used to a new bunch of characters. We for example streamed "The Good Wife" start to finish, often corny but tolerable. I can't think of many other recent examples though. In some cases we've streamed quirky network shows which didn't last, like 'Awake'. Also some foreign countries' former network shows don't have the same preachy/teachy thing going as much as US shows.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
“When this started out, it was a story about people who hated Jussie Smollett because he was black and gay. But now, people hate him because he’s an asshole. In other words, they’re judging him on the content of his character and not the color of his skin. And that, my friends, is progress.”
--Trevor Noah
Yes, it is funny ... judged him good for being treated that way and now judge him bad for being a liar and a fraud and a cheat, but a great actor saying things like, "Oh my God who could do a thing like that".

Gives a whole new meaning to thou shalt not judge really means, "good or bad"
Old 02-23-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Plus, he had a major role in Iron Man, which is probably where most people saw him.
He was in Iron Man? Gonna have to look it up cause I had never heard of him and didn't recognize him.

wanders off muttering into beard about people naming their kids after someone's hair style
Old 02-23-2019, 06:23 PM

To expand on my vote, which was "no":

- never heard of him before the fake attack story

- kind of sorry I ever heard of him at all
Old 02-26-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestchaz View Post
He was in Iron Man? Gonna have to look it up cause I had never heard of him and didn't recognize him.

wanders off muttering into beard about people naming their kids after someone's hair style
He was James "Rhodey" Rhodes, otherwise known as War Machine. Don Cheadle took over the role for Howard after the very first movie.

Last edited by bump; 02-26-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
He was James "Rhodey" Rhodes, otherwise known as War Machine. Don Cheadle took over the role for Howard after the very first movie.
Apparently, Howard wasn't satisfied with his role and wanted more money, but you don't see HIM going off the deep end about it