Old 12-17-2019, 10:03 AM

Ok, I have a pitbull. She's sweet as hell, and she licks my kids to death. She welcomes strangers into the home by throwing herself at them and wagging her tail.

I also see things in her that could have been harnessed into something bad.

She has a high prey drive. She sees a small animal and she absolutely, positively is mentally incapable of ignoring it. I have cats, and she chases them every single time she sees them. Now, she doesn't hurt them, but I'm sure she could have been trained to. She wants to please me, but she's also incredibly stubborn. So, she's trainable, but she puts her own will into things as well. She's so strong. Despite being about the smallest pit bull that exists, she is considerably stronger than my previous boxer who was twice her size and not exactly a weak breed.

They can be great family pets. They also can be weaponized.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
Ok, I have a pitbull. She's sweet as hell, and she licks my kids to death. She welcomes strangers into the home by throwing herself at them and wagging her tail.
There is a lady who lives across the street who has a pet pit bull and every time I see them together, the dog behaves in a very friendly way. This lady often tells me, "She just LOVES people!" and this dog certainly behaves that way.

But I've heard so many stories about how a good dog suddenly turns bad for no apparent reason. I don't know how I would feel if I had any kids and this dog came up to my kids and started jumping up on them and licking them.

I would hate to offend this nice lady by asking her to keep her dog away from my kids. But I would hate it a lot more if her dog ever caused any harm to my kids. Hell! They don't even have to be kids. I'm pretty sure the same goes for adults.

What do you think? Would you ask this lady to keep her dog away from any visitors you had that were walking with you?

I suppose I could always lie to her and say that my visitors were afraid of dogs.

Last edited by Charlie Wayne; 12-17-2019 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:50 PM

Pit bulls are banned where you 'live' dumb shit. Try to keep your socks in order.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Wayne View Post

What do you think? Would you ask this lady to keep her dog away from any visitors you had that were walking with you?

I suppose I could always lie to her and say that my visitors were afraid of dogs.
I feel like my dog's personality is somewhat locked in by now. I don't think I could train her to be evil anymore. I genuinely don't think she even knows that biting a person is even an option. Just last week I had accidentally left her on the patio and the gardeners, whom she had never met before, came in and when I got home she was happily, if intrusively and annoyingly, hanging out with them while they worked.

I really can't imagine her "just snapping", and I don't think there is really any evidence of a truly good and well adjusted pit bull doing this. I just think had I honed her "skill set" early on, this same dog could be a weapon.

I was worried when she was a puppy to be honest as she was much bitier than my previous dog. But, she definitely grew out of that. She still mouths at me when we wrestle, but there is zero pressure behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Pit bulls are banned where you 'live' dumb shit. Try to keep your socks in order.

Huh?
Old 12-18-2019, 03:08 PM

I have not read the thread. We had two pit bulls that did snap. These dogs were raised from puppies with my toddler son. We never knew what they were capable of and now feel so thankful they didn’t maul the boy.

One day they got out and ran off. We lived in a very rural area. They got into a pasture where there was a great many goats doing what goats do. These sweet dogs ripped the throats out of twelve goats before the farmer shot both. One was killed and the other survived. We had to pay for twelve goats and pay for a backhoe to bury the goats plus Veterinarian fees to patch up the surviving dog.

You would have never convinced me they were capable of this. To this day I believe if it were just one dog this would not have happened. We trusted those two dogs around a baby.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:39 PM

Baby Ava is a small Pit, about 50 pounds. She is 4 years old, very energetic and willful. She has personality by the buttload and everyone who meets her falls in love with her.

She has us all wrapped around her little paw and she knows it.

Her partner is Benny, a Lab/Pit mix. Ava picked him out at the shelter where we got her. His is very strong and very fast, loves to run and is dumb as a bag of rocks. But he is gentle and has a big heart and loves people and loves Ava.

We got the from the shelter when they were a year and half. It was obvious that both had been beaten and abused before being dumped at the shelter. It is baffling how anyone could not love these dogs. It took them a while to trust us. Benny still has to be sedated unconscious before we can clip his nails.

Dog are wonderful. People suck.

-God
Old 12-22-2019, 09:52 AM
BANNED

Massachusetts woman mauled to death by family dog while having seizure

https://nypost.com/2019/12/22/massac...having-seizure

This story just appeared today. Sad to say it was a Pit Bull.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup Smith View Post
I have not read the thread. We had two pit bulls that did snap. These dogs were raised from puppies with my toddler son. We never knew what they were capable of and now feel so thankful they didn’t maul the boy.

One day they got out and ran off. We lived in a very rural area. They got into a pasture where there was a great many goats doing what goats do. These sweet dogs ripped the throats out of twelve goats before the farmer shot both. One was killed and the other survived. We had to pay for twelve goats and pay for a backhoe to bury the goats plus Veterinarian fees to patch up the surviving dog.

You would have never convinced me they were capable of this. To this day I believe if it were just one dog this would not have happened. We trusted those two dogs around a baby.
Predators kill prey. Properly socialized dogs don't view people or other dogs as prey, but of course goats look like prey to most dogs. I would think most dogs large enough to physically kill goats would be likely to do this. You baby was probably safe, although dogs can be jealous, or fight for dominance, and in general shouldn't be left alone with babies and small children.

Last edited by puzzlegal; 12-22-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:36 PM

If you have a dog that shouldn't be left alone with a baby or an older person...

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
Predators kill prey. Properly socialized dogs don't view people or other dogs as prey, but of course goats look like prey to most dogs. I would think most dogs large enough to physically kill goats would be likely to do this. You baby was probably safe, although dogs can be jealous, or fight for dominance, and in general shouldn't be left alone with babies and small children.
WTF do you have that dog? There are lots of folks around this thread with no common sense whatsoever.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucible View Post
WTF do you have that dog? There are lots of folks around this thread with no common sense whatsoever.
I get that you don't like something I said, but I have no idea what you are objecting to. That dogs are predators and are likely to attack things they perceive to be prey? That dogs shouldn't be left alone with a baby? Something else?

Anyway, no, I don't have a dog. I like dogs, but they are too much work, and I'm away from home too often. I enjoy dogs when I visit my brother or my sister. My sister, in particular, has beautifully trained dogs. My brother's dogs are good-natured and reasonably well-behaved, but not to the level of my sister's dogs.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:01 PM

Some people are really bad about infantilizing and anthropomorphizing animals. At the end of the day all animals are unpredictable and can't be trusted. I'm not saying nobody can have a dog but it's definitely smart to not have a big dog around small children. Hell even a little dog could do real damage, a tiny chihuahua just tore a chunk out of my Dad's hand and it bled for two hours.

I would never own a dog that I thought could overpower me, I wouldn't put myself in that situation.

I was looking for a story I read about maybe a 17 year old girl that was home alone with the family pit bull that they owned for years that for no reason anyone could ascertain just killed her but I couldn't find it.

I did find this story though I remember from not too long ago, poor woman:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ds-says-sherif

For me it's not just pit bulls though, I don't really trust any animal, they are animals after all.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

Dogs went through ‘drastic lifestyle’ changes before mauling owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
If the dogs killed her, where in the hell are her clothes?

Last edited by Skywatcher; 12-29-2019 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
S
I did find this story though I remember from not too long ago, poor woman:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ds-says-sherif

For me it's not just pit bulls though, I don't really trust any animal, they are animals after all.
Pit Bulls do not weigh 125 pounds. Very few dogs do. They weren't pit bulls.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
It's in the thread title. If it's a Pit Bull, it's a Pit Bull. If it's not a pit bull but attacks a person, it's a Pit Bull.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:50 AM

If it weighed a 125 pounds, it may be an actual bull. Or a chupacabra.

-God
Old 12-30-2019, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Antibob View Post
It's in the thread title. If it's a Pit Bull, it's a Pit Bull. If it's not a pit bull but attacks a person, it's a Pit Bull.
Post 252:
Quote:
It's always a fucking Pit Bull, even when it isn't.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
"American bully is another non-AKC recognized breed frequently called a pit bull. This breed is currently only recognized by five breed clubs. The American bully is a short, stocky dog with a large head and wide chest. This pitbull-type breed reaches a height of 18 to 21 inches in males, 17 to 20 inches in females and a weight of 70 to 120 pounds. There are five categories of American bully according to body type and height and weigh varies greatly.

Many dogs known as pitbulls are actually crossbreeds of several bully and non-bully type breeds. Naturally, the potential sizes would depend entirely on the size of the parents and the breeds that went into the breeding.
"

http://pets.thenest.com/big-pitbulls-get-4881.html

Last edited by Jackmannii; 12-30-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
"Many dogs known as pitbulls are actually crossbreeds of several bully and non-bully type breeds. Naturally, the potential sizes would depend entirely on the size of the parents and the breeds that went into the breeding."

Or have no actual bully at all.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
"American bully is another non-AKC recognized breed frequently called a pit bull. This breed is currently only recognized by five breed clubs. The American bully is a short, stocky dog with a large head and wide chest. This pitbull-type breed reaches a height of 18 to 21 inches in males, 17 to 20 inches in females and a weight of 70 to 120 pounds. There are five categories of American bully according to body type and height and weigh varies greatly.

Many dogs known as pitbulls are actually crossbreeds of several bully and non-bully type breeds. Naturally, the potential sizes would depend entirely on the size of the parents and the breeds that went into the breeding.
"

That's right. There a few non-Pit Bull dogs who can reach that weight. That they are known as Pits doesn't matter, that's what this whole thread covers repeatedly, any dog can be called a Pit when it frightens someone, but that doesn't make it one.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup Smith View Post

That isn't "snapping"; and it's got nothing whatsoever to do with whether the dogs could be trusted either with your own toddler, or with toddlers in general (which is not the same question.)

You're making the mistake of thinking that the dog is generalizing, as some humans might, 'it's wrong to kill anything at all'. That's not what the dogs are thinking. The dogs are thinking that your child is part of their pack and to be protected; and that the goats are prey animals who it's perfectly fine to hunt. They might, or might not, extrapolate that humans in general, or at least human children in general, are not to be attacked; but even presuming that they do, they might well still think that goats are fine to hunt.

Very few humans even assume that killing anything at all is wrong. Most humans think it's fine to kill members of some species but not others, and/or to kill under some circumstances but not others. Would you assume that somebody who properly hunts deer has "snapped" and can't be trusted around even their own children? How about somebody who swats mosquitos?

Dogs have to be trained, for each and every species which they might be around, that members of that particular species aren't prey. If your neighbors have goats, you need to teach your dogs about goats. If at all possible, start while they're young puppies; some dogs are next to impossible to convince about this once they're grown.

And bear in mind that they may not even generalize species-wide. I've known a dog who was absolutely and entirely safe with her own cats -- before and after -- who killed a strange cat who wandered on to the property. She probably thought she was defending the place from an invader. (There are certainly human equivalents to this one, too.)
Old 12-30-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
If the dogs killed her, where in the hell are her clothes?
The story tells us that dogs were being ignored and 'not fed every day'. It basically tells us that the dogs were abused. My pit mix-breeds eat twice a day and would love to eat 4 times a day.

The story has a photo with her and a dog. That dog does not look like a pit. And if it is, it is nowhere in the vicinity of 125 lbs. One would wonder how two dogs that are not fed every day managed to be well over the 'high range' weight for their species.

This report has a picture of one her pits. It is maybe 50 lbs and looks malnourished.

So.....did anyone else who has seen too many NCIS, Bones, Criminal Minds episodes immediately think that if you killed a woman with abused bogs, that may be a good way to hide a crime?

-God
Old 12-31-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Basically irrelevant to my greater point that maybe one shouldn't own a potentially aggressive animal that could easily overpower them, doesn't really matter what the breed is or isn't after it kills you.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
Basically irrelevant to my greater point that maybe one shouldn't own a potentially aggressive animal that could easily overpower them, doesn't really matter what the breed is or isn't after it kills you.
The problem is not with the dogs. It's with the people. People should not own breeds they know nothing about and are not equipped to care for. People should not own dogs and manipulate and abuse them to make them dangerous. People should not neglect and abuse animals.

If you show an example of an animal that became dangerous to humans, you can bet that there was a bad human that made them that way.

-God
Old 02-07-2020, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Pit Bulls cornered him, neighbour finished him off.

A neighbour accidentally shot and killed a man with a crossbow in Adams, Massachusetts, while attempting to protect the man from pit bulls.

https://nationalpost.com/news/neighb...cking-pitbulls
Old 02-07-2020, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

At the very bottom: "Jadusingh’s adult male pit bulls have a history of aggression and fighting."
Old 02-16-2020, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

It's not always a pit bull.

Perfect example of how mistreatment creates dangerous dogs.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K364 View Post
Pit Bulls cornered him, neighbour finished him off.

A neighbour accidentally shot and killed a man with a crossbow in Adams, Massachusetts, while attempting to protect the man from pit bulls.

https://nationalpost.com/news/neighb...cking-pitbulls
I do feel sorry for the neighbor who was trying to help him. That guy will have guilt and nightmares for a long time. It sounds like the dogs got more than one or two chances if they were known biters.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margin View Post
I do feel sorry for the neighbor who was trying to help him. That guy will have guilt and nightmares for a long time. It sounds like the dogs got more than one or two chances if they were known biters.
William Tell he ain't.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:18 PM

It infuriates me how pit bulls (which, as others have already pointed out, aren't really a single breed, but a conglomerate of different breeds with similar characteristics) are blamed for everything under the fucking sun.

Several years ago, a councilman in my fair city decided to demonize pits bulls, and passed a breed ban. Shocker, his own dog (a lab) bit a child and was quarantined at animal control. Suddenly, overnight, animal control gets broken into, and the lab was stolen. The councilman claims he had no idea what happened. Uh huh, sure. For the record, I don't recall any serious talk about the dog being put down - I wouldn't be for that, as it was the first time this happened, and the dog was otherwise pretty well-behaved (and the child wasn't badly injured). But the gall of the councilman, insisting pit bulls were dangerous monstrosities while defending his own dog seriously pissed me off.

Only NOW is the city seriously looking at overturning the breed ban, and it's about god-damn time.

I worked at a vet clinic for about 7-8 years. Not ONCE did a dog that could have been labeled a 'pit bull' (or any dogs such as German Shepherds, Dobermans, Rotties, etc) ever cause me harm or appear to intend to cause me harm. Whereas I was snapped at many times by much smaller breeds, including chihuahuas, shiatzus, poodles, etc. And I'm not going to say small dog breeds are all vicious little beasts either - my point is that any dog, if it is untrained or simply by virtue of being an animal, can be dangerous. Breed bans are pointless, and only make it harder to adopt out dogs in need of homes.

Fuck breed bans.