Old 12-05-2019, 08:50 AM

NFL WEEK 14 Wolf

We're in the middle of the playoff push, as some NFL teams (and fantasy players) try to make the playoffs. The Bills, Titans, Colts, Vikings, Packers, and more, are all on that ever poppable bubble, making each game, each drive, more and more full of pressure.

Some eye opening stuff last week. The Raiders got the crap kicked out of them by the lowly Jets. Dak Prescott once again struggled against a defense that isn't in the bottom half of the league. And the Patriots lose again and everyone loses their shit. C'mon people, they're still 10-2, they're still going to make the playoffs, and they're always a threat to win it all. Calm the hell down.

Ron Rivera getting canned from Carolina was the week's biggest news. Not a huge surprise, he's had only 3 winning seasons in 9 years. At least he made the Super Bowl one time (thanks to an amazing 39 regular season turnovers), so there is that. He's one of the old school, defensive minded coaches, so I'm guessing the guy Tepper hires to replace him will be a younger, offensive minded, analytics guy. Roman from Baltimore maybe?

Oh, and we may get to see Eli for at least one more week. Yay???

Here's your games:

Thursday, December 5

Dallas Cowboys at Chicago Bears (DAL -3, 42.5)

Sunday, December 8

Baltimore Ravens at Buffalo Bills (BAL -5.5, 43.5)
Washington Redskins at Green Bay Packers (GB -13, 41.5)
Denver Broncos at Houston Texans (HOU -9.5, 42)
San Francisco 49ers at New Orleans Saints (NO -2.5, 44)
Cincinnati Bengals at Cleveland Browns (CLE -8.5, 40.5)
Carolina Panthers at Atlanta Falcons (ATL -3, 47.5)
Detroit Lions at Minnesota Vikings (MIN -13, 43)
Miami Dolphins at New York Jets (NYJ -5.5, 45)
Indianapolis Colts at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (TB -3, 47)

Los Angeles Chargers at Jacksonville Jaguars (LAC -3, 43)
Kansas City Chiefs at New England Patriots (NE -3, 49)
Pittsburgh Steelers at Arizona Cardinals (PIT -3, 43.5)
Tennessee Titans at Oakland Raiders (TEN -2.5, 47)

Seattle Seahawks at Los Angeles Rams (SEA -1, 47)

Monday, December 9

New York Giants at Philadelphia Eagles (PHI -9.5, 46)

Some great slugfests between very good teams this week.

Thursday's game isn't one of them, but it is one of those "fights for the playoffs", as the Cowboys try to claim the title to a horrible NFC East. So it's worth a quick watch. I think the Bears great D-line versus the Cowboys incredible O-line will be well worth a watch, and is likely where the game will be won or lost. I'll also keep an eye out to see if Dak's slide continues, if Garrett relies on Zeke, and if Mitch can pad his stats like last week (hint: he can't). All told, I think the Cowboys will "Bears" the Bears: beat a less talented team in the most boring and close way possible.

The Bills are next on the "How the hell do we contain Lamar Jackson" train. The Niners did a pretty good job of it last week (too bad that offense couldn't get it done). I'm not sure if the Bills can. The Bills are on a 3 game win streak, but the Ravens are on a 8 game one. I'm actually leaning toward the Bills, but the game should be fun to watch regardless.

The Niners/Saints game should be fascinating. I do think that the Saints are a bit overrated, they've been feasting on bad teams for the last 10 weeks. But they do have the #3 rated run defense (based on yards per game), which may negate the strength of the Niner's offense. I'm hoping the Saints put some early points up, they slow the run game, and we get to see if Garoppolo can win a game by himself. Could be interesting.

The other huge game is the Chiefs/Patriots. After Brady's struggles and hissy fit last week, everyone's talking about how he's too old and his receiver corp too bad. Whatever. It should be a fun game. I'm grooving on Chris Jones for the Chiefs, but they don't have a whole lot else. Mahomes has been pedestrian the last couple weeks, but that could just be him working his way back from injury. Should be an interesting game.

Finally, Sunday nights' game has some possibility. I can not figure out this Rams team. One week they're looking like crap against the Ravens, other weeks they're hanging tough with Seattle or beating the hell out of the Cards. The shine surely has come off of McVey and Goff, though, and Seattle has been looking pretty good. I expect a Seahawks win, but there is a little part of me that thinks the Rams will pull off an upset. Gotta watch to find out.

There you have it. Another week of NFL football. Let's hear from you.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
I'm hoping the Saints put some early points up, they slow the run game, and we get to see if Garoppolo can win a game by himself. Could be interesting.

Y'know, Garoppolo has won games by himself a few times this season already.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Some eye opening stuff last week. The Raiders got the crap kicked out of them by the lowly Jets.
That was two weeks ago. Last week the Raiders got crushed by the Chiefs while the Jets got used and abused by the previously-winless Bengals.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:07 AM

Wow, Rivera has only had 3 winning seasons out of 9? I'm kinda surprised by that statistic, not that I follow the Panthers all that closely, it just seems like they had a better run in the last decade.

I'm kinda interested in Titans-Raiders in that its hard to tell if either of those teams is for real in any way.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygnu View Post
Y'know, Garoppolo has won games by himself a few times this season already.
He was great against the Bengals and the Cards, the 21st and 32nd ranked passing defense in the NFL.

I fully admit to not seeing all the Niners games, so maybe he is more impressive watching live than on paper. I can only go by what I read and the stats. So take my opinion (and verbiage. What is "win a game by yourself" anyway), for what it's worth.

Niners wins that came in games where the defense didn't hold the offense to less than 20 points (3 points below league average), were against Pittsburgh and Arizona twice. The Pittsburgh game he threw two picks, had a 82.4 rating, and the run game and turnovers gave them the win. And Arizona is the worst pass defense in the league. I'm not really seeing a game where he had to take the team on his back and deliver a win. He's certainly efficient, runs the offense well, and is capable of looking great against bad defenses.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
The Niners/Saints game should be fascinating. I do think that the Saints are a bit overrated, they've been feasting on bad teams for the last 10 weeks. But they do have the #3 rated run defense (based on yards per game), which may negate the strength of the Niner's offense. I'm hoping the Saints put some early points up, they slow the run game, and we get to see if Garoppolo can win a game by himself. Could be interesting.
Another angle in this game will be a very strong (probably #2 behind New England) defense vs a Drew Brees who hasn’t looked like himself since coming back from his injury. Can Kamara make up the difference?
Old 12-05-2019, 12:42 PM

Bears playoff game is with Dallas tonight. I say "playoff game" because, at 6-6, every game is an elimination game for us. Even if we do go 10-6, we have to depend on the Vikings losing one more and the Rams finishing behind us because they have the tie-breaker due to their head-to-head win against us.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Cowboys luck out with very reasonable Chicago weather tonight in the low 40s F. That game could have been a lot worse as no one wants a night game in Chicago in December.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

What happened to Free Beer?
Old 12-05-2019, 10:15 PM

I'm enjoying watching the Cowboys continue to shoot themselves in the foot.

Bears offensive line is playing well, and Nagy is clearly going back to last year's plan of quick, easy, one read throws, and it's working (thanks, in large part, to Dallas's penalties gifting them first downs). I'm interested in the rehabilitation of Trubisky in Bears' fans' minds. Should be fun to watch.

Meanwhile, Dallas is making strides running the ball, so, of course, they go to a heavy passing game. Which, as these games against good defenses shows, isn't Dak's forte.

Ugly for Dallas makes me happy.

Last edited by Hamlet; 12-05-2019 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:34 PM

Leave it to the Cowboys to make the Bears offense look competent.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:13 PM

Garbage time. Time for Dak to pad his stats.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:02 AM

I loved watching the Cowboys blunder their way through an inept game. The NFC East now has no team with a winning record. Here’s hoping for a 7-9 4th seed this year.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:55 AM

Adam Vinatieri is having an MRI on his kicking leg. His season - and possibly career - are in doubt now.

If he HAS played his last game in the NFL, I hate to see him go out that way. It's never cool when a career ends due to an injury.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

What is the 14 <--> Wolf connection?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 12-06-2019, 08:15 AM

Four"teen" Wolf, I think.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Antibob View Post
Four"teen" Wolf, I think.
Yep. I couldn't come up with a good fourteen title. "Free Beer" was offered, but I don't get/like the For Teen Free Beer? thing.

Not everyone is a winner.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:35 AM

Looks like the Bears maybe turned things around just in time to run into Packers-Chiefs-Vikings down the stretch. At least now if they make the playoffs they can certainly say they earned it.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Yep. I couldn't come up with a good fourteen title. "Free Beer" was offered, but I don't get/like the For Teen Free Beer? thing.

Not everyone is a winner.
NFL WEEK 14 (92)

Columbus sailed the ocean blue!
Old 12-06-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
NFL WEEK 14 (92)

Columbus sailed the ocean blue!
Well done. I should've crowd-sourced title decisions.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I loved watching the Cowboys blunder their way through an inept game. The NFC East now has no team with a winning record. Here’s hoping for a 7-9 4th seed this year.
When does the Jason Garrett job watch start?
Old 12-06-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
And the Patriots lose again and everyone loses their shit. C'mon people, they're still 10-2, they're still going to make the playoffs, and they're always a threat to win it all. Calm the hell down.
Couldn't put it better myself.

Quote:
Ron Rivera getting canned from Carolina was the week's biggest news. Not a huge surprise, he's had only 3 winning seasons in 9 years. At least he made the Super Bowl one time (thanks to an amazing 39 regular season turnovers), so there is that.
I was reminded last night that he was TWICE voted NFL Coach of the Year. Just goes to show how in pro sports it's all about "what have you done for me lately?"

Quote:
Here's your games:

Thursday, December 5

Dallas Cowboys at Chicago Bears (DAL -3, 42.5)
Everybody who's read my posts up to this point must surely know how I feel about last night's result. But in case you don't:

Quote:
Sunday, December 8

Baltimore Ravens at Buffalo Bills (BAL -5.5, 43.5)
To me this could very well be a playoff preview (conference semis). The Bills are decent (FWIW earlier this season Deion Sanders opined that the Buffalo Bills would be New England's greatest challenge in the playoffs) but the Ravens are on a roll. I expect BAL to win this one.
Quote:
Washington Redskins at Green Bay Packers (GB -13, 41.5)
The Packers SHOULD win this one in a walk. If they don't, then that could be a sign of trouble for them going forward.
Quote:
Denver Broncos at Houston Texans (HOU -9.5, 42)
I'm about as much of a fan of that team based in Colorado as I am of the N.F.C. entry from Texas. I hope the Texans win this one going away.
Quote:
San Francisco 49ers at New Orleans Saints (NO -2.5, 44)
Boy, this is a tough call. I'm gonna go with: "49ers in a close one."
Quote:
Carolina Panthers at Atlanta Falcons (ATL -3, 47.5)
Two teams going nowhere and one having just fired its head coach. CAR in a close one.
Quote:
Detroit Lions at Minnesota Vikings (MIN -13, 43)
I know that Detroit is nothing special (and hasn't been for a long time) but I'm a little surprised at the line on this one given that it's a division rivalry game. Still, Minnesota coming off of a loss and appearing to be the better team, anyway - Vikings.
Quote:
Miami Dolphins at New York Jets (NYJ -5.5, 45)
Indianapolis Colts at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (TB -3, 47)
Los Angeles Chargers at Jacksonville Jaguars (LAC -3, 43)
Pittsburgh Steelers at Arizona Cardinals (PIT -3, 43.5)
Tennessee Titans at Oakland Raiders (TEN -2.5, 47)

Monday, December 9

New York Giants at Philadelphia Eagles (PHI -9.5, 46)
Ugh. Do we have to?

Quote:
Kansas City Chiefs at New England Patriots (NE -3, 49)
How often do B.B. and T.B. lose consecutive games? I'm picking N.E. to win this one.

Quote:
Seattle Seahawks at Los Angeles Rams (SEA -1, 47)
I'm not liking that Seattle is the favorite in L.A. I'd rather they go down there underestimated. I think the Rams definitely have it within them to make a game of this but I hope the Seahawks knock 'em off as doing so will clinch a playoff spot for the 'hawks.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawdio View Post
Looks like the Bears maybe turned things around just in time to run into Packers-Chiefs-Vikings down the stretch. At least now if they make the playoffs they can certainly say they earned it.
They've had a lot of injuries but I'm really impressed with how well the backups have been playing. Hicks should be back for the Packers, which will make a huge impact. Smith is probably out for the rest of the season unfortunately.

Only concern is Montgomery got injured near the end of the game. No word on him yet.

I think the biggest impact is switching back to Whitehair at center. The O-line seems to be a lot more cohesive now.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:48 AM

Mitch Trubisky became the first QB in NFL history to:

complete 70+ pct of his passes on 30+ attempts
Throw 3+ TD passes
Rush for 50+ yards
Rush for a TD

I had no idea until I saw this from StatsBySTATS
Old 12-06-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Mitch Trubisky became the first QB in NFL history to:

complete 70+ pct of his passes on 30+ attempts
Throw 3+ TD passes
Rush for 50+ yards
Rush for a TD

I had no idea until I saw this from StatsBySTATS
Depending on whether or not you’re a glass half full person, he either did really well last night or the Cowboys defense was so bad they let him get away with things he shouldn’t have.

My eye test says it was somewhere in between. The Cowboys gave him a lot of opportunities and he took them. So, good job Mitch.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:15 PM

Painful watching Josh Allen play QB today.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:55 PM

Niners @ Saints is fantastic. Playoff atmosphere all the way and it's contained TONS of big plays so far.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:56 PM

Dwayne Haskins can barely walk. What is it with the Washington Football Team and trying to kill their injured quarterbacks?
Old 12-08-2019, 03:30 PM

KC almost had to forfeit their game at NE since a lot of their gear ended up in Newark

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ent-new-jersey
Old 12-08-2019, 04:06 PM

Refs and Ravens D trying desperately to give Josh Allen an easy shot at a comeback.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
I'm not really seeing a game where he had to take the team on his back and deliver a win.
Well, now you have.

Both defenses looked terrible for the most part, but Jimmy looked like a star.

Go Niners.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:40 PM

Allow me to blow my own horn a little bit but as I recall for San Francisco @ "Nawlins" I predicted: San Francisco in a close one. Thank you very much.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgg419 View Post
Well, now you have.

Yeah, that 2 yard pass he threw that Kittle took another 37 yards and another 15 yards with the face mask penalty sure made him look like a star. Or that 75 yard TD pass to Emmanuel Sanders in the first quarter that Jimmy threw (underthrew actually) up for grabs and the defender fell down, was starlike.

I'm (partially) kidding. He played very, very well and impressed me yet again. I'm not ready to call him elite, but he's certainly impressed me this game.

Last edited by Hamlet; 12-08-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgg419 View Post
Well, now you have.

Go Niners.
I don't think the defenses were that bad. I think it was more a matter of great play-calling on the part of both teams.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that 2 yard pass he threw that Kittle took another 37 yards and another 15 yards with the face mask penalty sure made him look like a star. Or that 75 yard TD pass to Emmanuel Sanders in the first quarter that Jimmy threw (underthrew actually) up for grabs and the defender fell down, was starlike.

I'm (partially) kidding. He played very, very well and impressed me yet again. I'm not ready to call him elite, but he's certainly impressed me this game.
Point taken, but remember, this was only his 23rd career start, and he’s coming off an ACL tear. Brees has had more 4th quarter comebacks than that.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Refs and Ravens D trying desperately to give Josh Allen an easy shot at a comeback.
I'm a Ravens fan, and I'm not going to blame those calls on the zebras. There might have been one or two borderline calls, but for the most part, Baltimore defenders were shooting themselves in the foot with stupid plays. I breathed a sigh of relief when they stopped the Bills on 4th down to end the game.
Quote:
That effort by Kittle was amazing, and the Sanders play might help me win my Fantasy game this week.

Cheering for the Chiefs here against the Pats. I love seeing New England lose under any circumstances, but if someone can hang another loss on them, that will further strengthen the Ravens' shot at the top spot in the AFC.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:11 PM

I'm done with Bill O'Brien. Just too much inconsistency. Too many great moments followed with duds. Deshaun Watson has one more rookie year. Surely there's some great college or pro offensive mind ready to step into the big chair and use one of the best young QBs in the game.

What an absolute disaster that game was. At least no one got hurt, as far as I know.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:17 PM

Anyone else think Tom Brady may be starting to resemble Willie Mays when he couldn't hit anymore, or Muhammad Ali when he couldn't dance anymore?
Old 12-08-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
Anyone else think Tom Brady may be starting to resemble Willie Mays when he couldn't hit anymore, or Muhammad Ali when he couldn't dance anymore?
You mean old?

Yes.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
You can see that he really misses Gronk. Brady of old could win with Deion Branch, and an amazing defense. This Brady needs more.

It does look like he's lost the mandate of heaven. It happens to everybody. I think this year might be it. Hopefully it's because he merely lost, and not because of how e.g., Steve Young left the game.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:08 PM

Wow. I can't believe that the Patriots lost a 2nd straight game.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:43 PM

Man, the Seahawks are stinkin' the joint up tonight.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:01 PM

It’s the Seahawks. You know the game will get close and go down to the wire.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:41 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

The Packers are 10-3. I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, but they sure don't feel like a 10-3 team to me. Neither the offense nor the defense seem to be able to play consistently.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:52 PM

Seattle has had a soft defense all season and the Rams are taking full advantage of it.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
The Packers are 10-3. I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, but they sure don't feel like a 10-3 team to me. Neither the offense nor the defense seem to be able to play consistently.
Right now this is how I'd rank the (true) N.F.C. playoff teams: 1) San Francisco, 2) "Nawlins," 3) Seattle, 4) Minnesota, 5) Rams, 6) Green Bay. You can put that team from Texas wherever you want to. In my book they're not truly a playoff-worthy team this year. In my opinion it's too bad that they'll (probably) be allowed in the playoffs, anyway.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:57 PM

I didn't think the Seachickens were good enough to win out
Old 12-09-2019, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygnu View Post
I didn't think the Seachickens were good enough to win out
Seachickens... Haha cute I think it’s a Niners fan.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
Seattle has had a soft defense all season and the Rams are taking full advantage of it.
They had a flat-out bad defense all season. The previous few weeks the defense was actually good. Tonight it was mediocre.

What killed Seattle was drops. Receivers couldn’t catch. So many catchable passes either for long yardage or scores that for whatever reason didn’t get caught. The team hasn’t been like that all year.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

I would've never guessed that I'd be so bored and unimpressed by the Browns winning 4 out of their last 5 games, which is not something that happens often.

And even if they win out, and finish 9-7, their odds of snatching a playoff spot is under 30%.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 12-09-2019 at 08:18 AM.