Old 01-01-2020, 01:02 AM

January's New Mini Rants for a New Year

Two skunks were fighting in the back yard. My eyes are burning. It's so strong that if I try breathing though my mouth I can taste it. The back half of the house is untenable.

Apologies for the mediocre title. I wasn't really planning on starting this one. But damn!

Last edited by Projammer; 01-01-2020 at 01:03 AM.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
Apologies for the mediocre title.
My minirant is about your crummy title. Given the contentious political climate, you could at least have worked in a "2020 diVision" reference.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:17 AM

So next time you start it.

I've just got the traditional "head colds suck" gripe. Or grippe. Either one. But in any case, it sucks.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
So next time you start it.
I've got a February title in mind. Anyway, now we're in the '20s, and it's more whine than roar.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:22 AM

Having to drag myself out of bed this morning was not fun. No, I am not hung over. I don't drink. Just running very short on sleep and possibly starting to come down with something.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
My minirant is about your crummy title. Given the contentious political climate, you could at least have worked in a "2020 diVision" reference.
You're getting a month's worth of entertainment (and in a mini-rant thread, it's at others' expense), and you're complaining?

But how can we stay mad at the guy who filled the Aborted Fetuses thread with bad jokes? Oh, and one brilliant one that I'm still chuckling at...
Old 01-01-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
You're getting a month's worth of entertainment (and in a mini-rant thread, it's at others' expense), and you're complaining?
I'll take it. Like I said, I hadn't even given a thought to starting the thread and was completely unprepared for dueling skunks.

And I did complain about someone else's generic title several months back, so Karma is definitely getting her kicks in.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:25 PM

You want a mini rant? I'll give you a mini rant. Brainless assholes shooting off their guns on New Years Eve. Half an hour before the hour, half an hour after. And then 15 minutes before and after the hour for the other time zones. Do you fuckers know what happens to the bullets you fire into the air? They fucking come down, sometimes smashing through windows and narrowly missing a sleeping baby. And sometimes not fucking missing.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:40 PM

The Rose Parade seems to want to decay bit by bit, year by year. This year, a lip-synced opening number, a lip-synced halftime number, and finally a lip-synced concluding number. If I want to watch dopey "live" performances, I'd record the Macy's Parade. Give me floats, bands, and horses. That's it. No dopey production numbers.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
The Rose Parade seems to want to decay bit by bit, year by year. This year, a lip-synced opening number, a lip-synced halftime number, and finally a lip-synced concluding number. If I want to watch dopey "live" performances, I'd record the Macy's Parade. Give me floats, bands, and horses. That's it. No dopey production numbers.
Those idiotic "dancers" with Los Lobos included

Last edited by DummyGladHands; 01-01-2020 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

The Rose Parade has a halftime?

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 01-01-2020 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
The Rose Parade has a halftime?
Yes, they said as much on the Hallmark Channel broadcast (really just the KTLA broadcast). Something like "for the first time, we're going to have a halftime show in the Rose Parade." They claimed it was at the midpoint of the parade but I suspect it was slightly closer to the end.

That being said, what makes the Rose Parade special is the amazing artistry of the floats, made even more difficult with the requirement that every inch must be covered with organics. The song and dance numbers were not particularly well done and are best reserved for the lesser Macy's Parade.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:38 PM

Once of the reasons I finally ended up getting Amazon Prime a while back was to be able to watch the old Rick Merer Canadian TV show "The Industry." But for various reasons, I never got around to finishing off the final season, so today I had some time and figured I'd start watching again.

And of course it's no longer available.

I mean, I can kind of understand "Friends" or other high-profile shows having disputes over payment, but I first ran across this show slotted into late weekend-night timeslots on my local PBS station, how much can the streaming rights possibly cost!
Old 01-02-2020, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Those damn Badgers...idiots..
Old 01-02-2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eenerms View Post
Those damn Badgers...idiots..
Context?

It followed a post about a Canadian show, so my first reaction was "Did you confuse moose and badgers?"

But maybe it was a reference to something that happened over 24 hours ago? When the UW (Wisconsin) football team got beat (and, dare I say it, outplayed) by Oregon in the Rose Bowl?

In which case I'll say Sorry! (And point out that I watched that in a sports pub just around the corner from the UW stadium, and everyone agreed the Badgers did a great job this season)
Old 01-03-2020, 01:08 AM

Is there an iPhone app which will automatically tell new websites I visit that, yes, I, like literally every other user ever, consents to their goddamn fucking cookies? Because I haven’t had any nicotine for two weeks and clicking these pointless fucking cookie consent pop ups is really starting to boil my piss.

Motherfucker, of course you can put cookies on my computer! Why the fuck would I care? I’m a millennial. I live online. You could put your finger up my asshole if it’d improve my browsing experience. Now stop asking me. And gimme a cigarette
Old 01-03-2020, 04:42 AM

Not exactly pointless. Okay maybe they are for US citizens, but What’s the Deal with Cookie Consent Notices?

Quote:
In May 2011, a European Union (EU) Directive was adopted by all EU member countries to protect consumer privacy online. This piece of privacy legislation requires that covered websites:

Let users know if they are using cookies
Explain what data is gathered through the use of cookies and how that data is used, and
Gather user consent to the use of cookies
So while it really only allies to EU countries, most websites aren't bothering to try to figure out who it applies to and just serve up the notice to everyone who visits their site.

Last edited by Projammer; 01-03-2020 at 04:44 AM.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:55 AM

I hereby pit assholes who can't control their dogs OR put them on a leash.

I take my dog for a walk most days of the week. On a leash. Twice in the past week we walk past (on the other side of the street) someone putzing around in their yard with their dogs loose, keeping them company. We walk by and their dog runs across the street, barking at my bewildered dog, and in both cases, start nipping at him. I have to go on defense, getting between them and my dog. Not fun.

The first incident occurred with two dogs coming after us. I managed to get them to back off, but they followed us for two blocks, with the owner trailing them in his car. They followed us around a corner where they lost interest and wandered off into someone's yard. I glanced back and didn't see the car anymore.

The other incident happened yesterday. Three legged dog runs across the street snapping, barking and growling. I do my get-the-fuck-away-from-us routine and he runs back across the street. In both cases, the owner is just standing there, yelling ineffectually at their dog.

I keep my dog on a leash. I know he gets nervous around strange dogs, so I do something about it. I keep him on a fucking leash. People are such idiots when it comes to their pets (and children, but that's a different rant). Makes my hair hurt.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Context?

It followed a post about a Canadian show, so my first reaction was "Did you confuse moose and badgers?"

But maybe it was a reference to something that happened over 24 hours ago? When the UW (Wisconsin) football team got beat (and, dare I say it, outplayed) by Oregon in the Rose Bowl?

In which case I'll say Sorry! (And point out that I watched that in a sports pub just around the corner from the UW stadium, and everyone agreed the Badgers did a great job this season)
Thatís the case..they handed that Rose Bowl loss to the Ducks.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:59 PM

Uggggggg freaking UGH!!

I'm trying to work.

There's a web portal that I use for work. It's administered by federal government administration. And it's the worst piece of crap.

Inaccessible daily, sometimes multiple times a day. I've been trying to log in with no response or errors or just a spinning progress indicator for at least 30 minutes now.

I have 3 assignments I can knock out in an hour and turn in...IF ONLY I COULD ACCESS THIS ONE STUPID FREAKING WEB PORTAL!

Honestly, it's shameful how unstable the thing is.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:32 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanette View Post
Having to drag myself out of bed this morning was not fun. No, I am not hung over. I don't drink. Just running very short on sleep and possibly starting to come down with something.
I will share my homemade chicken noodle soup with you, I am starting the year with the beginnings of a cold.

And that is my mini rant. I have that annoying tickle in my throat on the right side that lets me know I am starting a cold. SO I have started at 0800 this morning my routine treatment. Every 12 hours generic mucinex, every 24 hours nasonex, plenty of liquids in the form of chicken soup, iced water, 2 24 oz mugs of hot sweet [splenda] tea with lemon and ginger. If I do this exactly on time or within 15 minutes of time, for 8 days I can avoid they nasty drizzly nose and scorching sore throat. I have a little bit of sniffling and a sort of uncomfortable scratchyness of throat but on the whole I am fine. If I miss at all, the whole horrible mess crashes down on me, post nasal Niagara Falls, throat of burning lava, chest congestion ... for the full 7 to 10 days or sometimes up to 2 weeks.

Bother all this, we have the barn to pack up and get ready to move, I don't need this shit.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:14 PM

I pit nominal measurements for products. I ordered something for work that was supposed to be 93" long. It is 94 1/4" long because we supply these things nominal apparently. I have a 93" space these are supposed to fit in. Its a good thing they are easy to cut down.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

For the love of God, will you shut your fucking piehole? The woman in front of us at Costco, I mean. Jesus Roosevelt Christ, it's bad enough to listen to your side of your moronic phone conversation while we're held captive audience in the line behind you, but then you just had to regale the cashier with your inane bullshit and relate your phone call to him. "My friend on the phone asked me where I was and I said 'Costco' and she said 'oh, that's good' and I saidblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah."

The cashier was moving as fast as he could to get her out of there, but even after everything was rung up and paid for, she still stood there blithering at him. Yeah, I'm a mean and unsympathetic person, but fucking hell. Why do people have to run their fucking mouths every moment they're awake?
Old 01-07-2020, 07:09 PM

I complained about this at my last job and I will complain about it with this one as well: People who return a call and say "I just got a call from this number" need to have an entire can of bear spray applied directly to their genitals.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
I complained about this at my last job and I will complain about it with this one as well: People who return a call and say "I just got a call from this number" need to have an entire can of bear spray applied directly to their genitals.
There are times when that's exactly what needs to be said.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:10 PM

Warning, whiny job search bitch ahead.

I had a phone job interview that seemed to go pretty well today. And I am damn depressed because it went well, and to paraphrase Dr. Strange, all I can see is bad outcomes from it. To start at ye beginning(sort of it is a mini rant after all).

I was talking to a recruiter before Christmas about a position that seemed be intriguing. Full stack developer, good company, good pay, good benefits. As someone who has been in IT for 20+ years now those are somewhat high bars. We set up an interview , but because of holiday and yada yada it didn't happen till last week. As the interview started it was very comfortable, but very clear that they were looking for a senior position in specific language/implementations that I do not have the requisite experience in. But I got a clear sense form the guy that he was thinking I was a good candidate for some other position. As as it happens that was the case and I had another interview set up.
I did that phone interview today, and as I said, it went well, which is a bad portent. The tech questions were trivial, on the first three he had to cut me off saying I was looking for depth that was not there, and I had answered it in the first seconds. The description of the responsibilities is something I have done in most every job I have ever had, and it has never taken me more than 5-10% of my time, and I have trouble seeing how it could ever be the slightest bit occupying or challenging.

So best case is : He thought I was a major ass and just wanted to end the call fast.
Next best case: There was a miscommunication for the "other position" and they were looking for entry level and it will be sorted out as oops for everybody.
Worst case is, They actually want me for that job at my requested level. At which point I could take the job(and If I had any fucking luck in taking previous, jobs most of which seemed interesting but got shitty, so how would a job I think is a bad match end up?)
Or I could turn it down, which also in my previous job search experience, will result in a prolonged period of fate kicking me in the balls for the temerity to turn down soul eroding purgatory.

Last edited by wolfman; 01-07-2020 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalexan View Post
I pit nominal measurements for products. I ordered something for work that was supposed to be 93" long. It is 94 1/4" long because we supply these things nominal apparently. I have a 93" space these are supposed to fit in. Its a good thing they are easy to cut down.
I always thought that 'nominal' meant you got something smaller than you thought you purchased (2x4 being 1.75x3.5 or somesuch for example).
Old 01-08-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
Or I could turn it down, which also in my previous job search experience, will result in a prolonged period of fate kicking me in the balls for the temerity to turn down soul eroding purgatory.
Take it and keep looking for something better. It's not like they won't lay you off at the first sign of a budget cut.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
Not exactly pointless. Okay maybe they are for US citizens, but Whatís the Deal with Cookie Consent Notices?

So while it really only allies to EU countries, most websites aren't bothering to try to figure out who it applies to and just serve up the notice to everyone who visits their site.
And then there are the U.S. sites that don't want to do the necessary steps to become compliant and just block all non-U.S. IP addresses. Can't look at a number of U.S. websites, unless I use some sort of spoofer, because of this.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:25 AM
I was curious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
Take it and keep looking for something better. It's not like they won't lay you off at the first sign of a budget cut.
Exactly this. If you hate the position you're in at the moment (whether that's employed or unemployed), and need the money, why not. To put it in the terms of your post:

Best case scenario, your fears are unfounded and it actually turns out to be a good job that you enjoy and well rewarded for.
Next best case scenario, it's as you feared in that you're basically being overpaid for an entry level position, but sucking it up isn't as bad as you thought it might be.
Worst case scenario, it's exactly as bad (or worse) than you feared, but at least you're getting paid to do trivial shit which leaves you more scope to keep hunting for a better opening.

I think the only way I wouldn't take the role would be if I was already employed at a decent salary and I was concerned about having too many short periods of employment on my CV (which taking this job could soon add to).
Old 01-08-2020, 08:28 AM

The month is young. I'm going to play my cards close to the vest and wait.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
then stop calling me. it ticks me off to get a missed call and I call back only to be told "I didn't call you" I guess my phone is making up random numbers.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Or someone (or a LOT of someones) be spoofing your caller ID.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:42 PM

My rant o' the day - employees who do the exact fucking opposite of what you requested, or just some other random thing.

Today I asked an employee to please provide me with revised budget info for 2020 because we gained one client and lost another very last minute. So she gives me #s for the previous year. "Um, hey, these are for 2019, do you mind sending 2020s revised estimates?" She sends me 2018. I say, "Thanks! Can you tell me where I can find 2020?" Then she acts surprised - "You wanted 2020?! Why didn't you say so?!" And of course, when she sends me 2020, she sends me the original fucking estimates with no revision. This has been a pretty standard song & dance between the two of us since I started as her manager, and apparently was an issue since the dawn of time, or at least since she joined the department. The problem is that no one ever said anything to her, so she was stunned when we had a discussion about it. The lady has a goddamn MBA and is working in a pretty senior position. Having to go back and forth with her three times only to get the wrong information drives me batshit crazy. Jesus.

My other complaint (I always have complaints)...my husband. My darling, gentle loving husband. He is an incredible, amazing man and he tries really hard to give me "breaks." The other day, he took one look at my face and, for the first time since we had our first child 13 years ago, he rounded the kids up and proactively took them out so I could work out. But. He called me 3 times and came back once when I was working out. First it was a call to figure out which restaurant they should go to. Then it was to ask if I needed anything at the grocery. Then it was whether they should have soda. Then it was whether I needed something at the pharmacy. Then he came back for a while, chatted with me while I was running on the treadmill and sodded off again with the kids when I asked if he would mind giving me some quiet. By the time I had worked out, I was so ready to pop that it took another 10 minutes for me to chill out to the point where no one died when they all got home again.

Yes, it's a small complaint. He was being really attentive and trying so hard to be kind. But oy, vey - that must be what people mean by killing people with kindness.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:45 PM

Google, I am at work. You know this, because you seem to make it your business, and I am fine (or at least resigned) with this. What I don't need is your reminder of where I parked. I am at work, and I parked in the same parking lot that I have parked at for the last TEN FUCKING YEARS! I am pretty sure that I can find my car without your help.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Not my fault that your job uses a system which turns every call into a single number and your people don't provide information otherwise.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post
Is there an iPhone app which will automatically tell new websites I visit that, yes, I, like literally every other user ever, consents to their goddamn fucking cookies? Because I havenít had any nicotine for two weeks and clicking these pointless fucking cookie consent pop ups is really starting to boil my piss.

Motherfucker, of course you can put cookies on my computer! Why the fuck would I care? Iím a millennial. I live online. You could put your finger up my asshole if itíd improve my browsing experience. Now stop asking me. And gimme a cigarette
Congratulations on no nicotine. Keep it up. (NOBODY GIVE HIM A CIG)

Also, please keep writing rants. So few people are left here who know how a rant is supposed to sound. I really like "boil my piss." "You could put your finger up my asshole if itíd improve my browsing experience" is poetry. Also I agree with you about having to click for no cookies.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:56 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

overlyverbose: Have you tried giving her written instructions?
Old 01-09-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
I always thought that 'nominal' meant you got something smaller than you thought you purchased (2x4 being 1.75x3.5 or somesuch for example).
That's usually how it goes. I can't think of any other reason though that they would advertise these things as 93" long only to have them arrive a full 1 1/4 longer.

This week, I made salads for my lunches and, well, they suck. They are bad salads. The salad greens are damp and bitter, there isn't enough different textures and the dressing I got just doesn't help. Next week, I'll make better salads but, until then, I gonna just have a choke down bad salads. This is why people hate vegetables.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Apple.... Ok, look, I know my son's computer is totally outdated. We've set it up in his room so he can do homework and youtube videos. All I want is iMovie. Whatever Mac OS update we last did left it completely without iMovie.

So, I download direct from you guys an old version of iMovie, awesome! Go to load it, and it tells me it can't load since I don't already have iMovie 9 to apply this upgrade to. Yes, well, that's why I downloaded the thing, innit?

Fast forward a couple of Googles, and I get walked through a special loading process. Go into Terminal to unpack the thing I already downloaded, rename some file as a .zip, unzip THAT file, and BINGO, there's iMovie! Took like 5 minutes. I didn't actually need an existing version, there was the full version of iMovie in the package I downloaded, you just purposefully disabled my ability to load it without finding some 13 year old kid's youtube video describing how to get around it.

Tanks fer nuttin!
Old 01-09-2020, 03:33 PM

Speaking of YouTube...

Didn't they used to have a page system? Where you could search through a channel's history by clicking the pages? Or by changing a number in the address bar? Instead of having to click "load more" 50 fucking times?
Old 01-10-2020, 04:53 PM

I don't know where else to post this, as I doubt that it merits its own thread. Sometimes when the gas company is working on a gas leak at the busy intersection outside, you just want to approach them with a lit candle.
https://www.theherald-news.com/2020/...e-say/a6ztllp/
Old 01-10-2020, 05:33 PM

Thanks, bobot! For the mental image of an Ebenezer Scrooge character in nightgown and sleeping cap wandering the streets with a candle...

... but also for not starting a new thread.

So many times I see [one of the repeat offenders here] devoting a whole thread to one news item. Sometimes with almost no commentary... let alone an actual point. I often say out loud (in my teacher/junior not-a-mod voice) "We HAVE a MINI-rants thread for your very MINI rant..."
Old 01-10-2020, 10:43 PM

Why the fuck does Firefox not have a menu based drop-down to show folder ordered bookmarks?!
I hate the fucking space taking left indexarea shit. I just want an index bar menu based drop down to the folders that contain my bookmark folders when I click on the top bookmark indicator, is that too fucking much to ask? I guess fucking so.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:50 PM

There are bookmark apps.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:57 PM

and apps are gateway to updates which is a gateway to malware.If you have the basic damn functionality, make the functionality good.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:19 AM

Great, Firefox is freaking out because either the Dope's server's calendar is set wrong, or it's set in that weird Month-Day-Year order. In any case, it keeps telling me that the certificates are not valid. Sorry Firefox: it's just weird, not broken.

Quote:
In theory it means the point that's aimed for. When a value range is expressed in the form XĪY, X is the nominal value.

Last edited by Nava; 01-11-2020 at 05:20 AM.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:35 AM
Charter Member

Lots of people have suddenly been having certificate issues; ATMB has multiple threads about it. The problem seems to be fixed for most users, but I'm still getting a big "Your Connection Is Not Private" screen from Chrome when I try to access the board by clicking a link in an email. There are no issues accessing the board by clicking a bookmark.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:10 AM

My pest control company is pissing me off. For the last 8-10 years they have always billed in December (maybe not the best month to give someone a $400 bill) and I could always plan for it. This year they apparently changed computers/billing services and still haven't sent me a bill. I'd like to write that debt off, because that money could end up elsewhere, but the only answer I get is 'we're working on it, be patient".

Patience my ass.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

A minor public service announcement about how things work in the Emergency Department:
If you are brought in with altered mental status and your family member at bedside gives history suggesting that you had a seizure but have no prior history of seizures you're going to get a big work-up including labs, head CT and neurology consult. If you later demand to leave the ED before this work-up is complete you and I are going to have a conversation to assess whether you are alert and oriented and have the mental capacity to refuse care. I will ask you a series of questions. These question are not complicated or invasive. They run along the lines of, "What day is it today?" "What city do you live in?" or "Do you realize that it's cold outside and you have no pants?" If you appear unable to answer these questions or give nonsensical answers to them not only *can* I keep you in the ED against your will - I am in fact obligated to do so. If, in your desire to leave, you make threatening statements to my staff you will get security sat outside your door to make sure that the staff are safe as they care for you. If you actually take a swing at anyone that will earn you 4 point restraints and a police report. And if it later transpires that you actually are alert and oriented and just giving weird answers and threatening staff because you are an asshole I will happily give you AMA paperwork and let you leave. But you spent easily an extra 2 hours in the department you so desperately wanted to leave, wasted my time, wasted the nurses time and wasted security staff time. So just answer the damn questions the first time I ask you.