Old 12-05-2019, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
The word is “or”. As in “a chamber pot of or”.
Generally, but 'gilded' in this case is entirely appropriate. As in Gilded Age, not Golden Age.
Quote:
The Gilded Age is defined as the time between the Civil War and World War I during which the U.S. population and economy grew quickly, there was a lot of political corruption and corporate financial misdealings and many wealthy people lived very fancy lives.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoDaFe View Post
Nitpick: according to every heraldic description I've come across, it would be "a chamber pot or" (no "of").

In any case, IMHO Nava was more accurate. "Or" implies solid gold, while "gilded" implies a veneer of gold over base metal. Well nigh perfect description of House Drumpf.

And every dictator ever. If you got blindfolded in Trump Tower and then got zipped magically to the Al Fawr palace in Baghdad, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. And rumor has it that Vlad the Impaler has recreated the Amber Room at the Kremlin.
They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margin View Post
And every dictator ever. If you got blindfolded in Trump Tower and then got zipped magically to the Al Fawr palace in Baghdad, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.
Except, of course, for the gold spray paint and Pottery Barn price tags still attached.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Except, of course, for the gold spray paint and Pottery Barn price tags still attached.
Goddammit!! Don't ruin Pottery Barn!!
Old 12-05-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
Seriously. I want to see some discussion of this. Ever since the super-duper secret server and the hidden transcript there became publicly known, I've seen non-stop yelling and screaming in the media about why it might have been put there, how the published transcript might have been doctored, but NOTHING about any possibility of actually getting the original back out of there. No demands to see the original. No subpoenas for it? No discussion over what it would take to get it?

Is that server a one-way street? Is it /dev/null? Is it write-only? Are documents stashed there gone and lost forever? Are they encrypted with a twelve-thousand-bit key and the key shredded and burned? Is it a felony to even think about documents once they are put there?

BTW, what does "code word level" mean?
I assumed that it was covered in one of the document requests that the administration is ignoring. I don't have actual proof of this and am definitely not going to go digging around for the actual subpoenas to read as it will probably just raise my blood pressure.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
Seriously. I want to see some discussion of this. Ever since the super-duper secret server and the hidden transcript there became publicly known, I've seen non-stop yelling and screaming in the media about why it might have been put there, how the published transcript might have been doctored, but NOTHING about any possibility of actually getting the original back out of there. No demands to see the original. No subpoenas for it? No discussion over what it would take to get it?

Is that server a one-way street? Is it /dev/null? Is it write-only? Are documents stashed there gone and lost forever? Are they encrypted with a twelve-thousand-bit key and the key shredded and burned? Is it a felony to even think about documents once they are put there?

BTW, what does "code word level" mean?
If a Democrat wins, I sincerely hope one of the first steps is to scour that server for incriminating documents and if they exist, release them. The world needs to know just how corrupt this bozo is.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Sorry - I lost track - what document are we talking about?
Old 12-05-2019, 10:34 AM

Trump nominee who is anti-IVF and surrogacy was deemed unqualified. She was just confirmed.

Quote:
“Ms. Pitlyk has never tried a case as lead or co-counsel, whether civil or criminal,” Hubbard wrote. “She has never examined a witness. Though Ms. Pitlyk has argued one case in a court of appeals, she has not taken a deposition. She has not argued any motion in a state or federal trial court. She has never picked a jury. She has never participated at any stage of a criminal matter.”
I don't get it. I know he wants a particular political bent, but surely there are some lawyers who have tried cases who fit the bill?

-God
Old 12-05-2019, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
Goddammit!! Don't ruin Pottery Barn!!
Crate & Barrel?
Old 12-05-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margin View Post
And every dictator ever. If you got blindfolded in Trump Tower and then got zipped magically to the Al Fawr palace in Baghdad, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. And rumor has it that Vlad the Impaler has recreated the Amber Room at the Kremlin.
Did the Amber Room or the Al Fawr palace have BEDBUGS?
Old 12-05-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
rofl
Old 12-05-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
If a Democrat wins, I sincerely hope one of the first steps is to scour that server for incriminating documents and if they exist, release them. The world needs to know just how corrupt this bozo is.
Damn right. And then, since the orange fucker will not be prez anymore, lock him up.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoDaFe View Post
Nitpick: according to every heraldic description I've come across, it would be "a chamber pot or" (no "of").

In any case, IMHO Nava was more accurate. "Or" implies solid gold, while "gilded" implies a veneer of gold over base metal. Well nigh perfect description of House Drumpf.
"Or" is just a tincture, rendered as a strong shade of yellow. But perhaps the better description would be something like "a chamber pot argent, piss stains".
Old 12-05-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
Trump nominee who is anti-IVF and surrogacy was deemed unqualified. She was just confirmed.
Quote:
“Ms. Pitlyk has never tried a case as lead or co-counsel, whether civil or criminal,” Hubbard wrote. “She has never examined a witness. Though Ms. Pitlyk has argued one case in a court of appeals, she has not taken a deposition. She has not argued any motion in a state or federal trial court. She has never picked a jury. She has never participated at any stage of a criminal matter.”
I don't get it. I know he wants a particular political bent, but surely there are some lawyers who have tried cases who fit the bill?
Yes, but she's watched EVERY episode of the original L&O, and she STILL watches SVU faithfully. FFS, doesn't that count for anything in America today??
Old 12-05-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Crate & Barrel?
Not cheap and nasty enough. Let's go with Walmart.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post

The point is active sabotage of the judicial system. When viewed through that lens, it makes sense.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
The point is active sabotage of the judicial system. When viewed through that lens, it makes sense.
Yes, absolutely. It's all deliberate.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
Yes, absolutely. It's all deliberate.
Definitely. And not just the judicial system-- at every level and when/wherever possible, let's remove professionals, i.e., people who trained for this, do it for a living, and have been doing it for decades. They're just uppity and think they're better than everyone else.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Definitely. And not just the judicial system-- at every level and when/wherever possible, let's remove professionals, i.e., people who trained for this, do it for a living, and have been doing it for decades. They're just uppity and think they're better than everyone else.
The courts, the DoJ, ICE, the EPA, now the Pentagon and military in general, that fucker is trying to turn all the agencies into his personal goon squad.

In short, in accordance with many historical precedences, he is actually trying to become a dictator.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
The scary thing is that quite a lot of people among his own supporters do indeed know this, but don't care or can apply an Orwellian doublethink exercise to convince themselves that it's worth caring about and not worth caring about at the same time.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
"Or" is just a tincture, rendered as a strong shade of yellow. But perhaps the better description would be something like "a chamber pot argent, piss stains".
Just go with "a chamber pot gilded and befouled proper"
Old 12-05-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Exactly. If anyone remains in doubt that Trump is taking his instructions from Vlad on Ten Easy Steps to Becoming a Dictator in Your Own Country, I've got beachfront property in Nevada...
Old 12-05-2019, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

First the cool kids mock him, and now even the weirdos with the funny hair are joining in:

Quote:
North Korea threatens to resume calling Trump 'dotard'

North Korea threatened Thursday to resume insults of U.S. President Donald Trump and consider him a "dotard" if he keeps using provocative language, such as referring to its leader as "rocket man."...
Old 12-05-2019, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've got beachfront property in Nevada...
I wouldn't mind a place on the shore of Lake Mead...
Old 12-05-2019, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
I wouldn't mind a place on the shore of Lake Mead...
Lake Tahoe's pretty nice, too, I hear, even if half the shoreline is in liberal homeless-loving California.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Lake Tahoe's pretty nice, too, I hear, even if half the shoreline is in liberal homeless-loving California.
Don't worry. Next big earthquake, it's gone. Trust me!
Old 12-05-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
The word is “or”. As in “a chamber pot of or”.
That would have been if it was gold. I very specifically was making it not gold.

Last edited by Nava; 12-05-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
That would have been if it was gold. I very specifically was making it not gold.
aww, that shitter is not gold?
Old 12-06-2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
First the cool kids mock him, and now even the weirdos with the funny hair are joining in:
Quote:
North Korea threatens to resume calling Trump 'dotard'

North Korea threatened Thursday to resume insults of U.S. President Donald Trump and consider him a "dotard" if he keeps using provocative language, such as referring to its leader as "rocket man."...
Satire. Oh, wait, AP? This is Not satire?

Last edited by eschereal; 12-06-2019 at 12:06 AM.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
aww, that shitter is not gold?
iswydt
Old 12-06-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightray View Post
"A gold lie rampant on a field of azure".
Old 12-06-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Pottery Barn?! How dare you, sir. How very dare you.
They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.

Last edited by margin; 12-06-2019 at 08:21 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 12-06-2019, 04:24 PM

Foreigners Mocking (Cheeto-Faced ShitGibbon) Is A Sign He's Doing Something Right

Yeah, ok. What about Americans mocking him? I mean, like, most of them. What does that mean?
Old 12-06-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightray View Post
I laughed.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:37 PM

As someone that's listened to almost all of the impeachment hearings as they happened, this has to be the best cartoon I've seen on the subject.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
As someone that's listened to almost all of the impeachment hearings as they happened, this has to be the best cartoon I've seen on the subject.
That's fantastic. I'm sharing it around!
Old 12-06-2019, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

On a related note, Loser Donald is complaining about having to flush the toilet 10 or 15 times.

Maybe that's why he had that unexpected trip to the hospital.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:12 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
On a related note, Loser Donald is complaining about having to flush the toilet 10 or 15 times.

He sprained his wrist?
Old 12-06-2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:

No, he probably just heard us talking about chamber pots.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
There's also the fact that if you employ a competent person who happens to agree with you politically (insofar as The Donald actually has political ideas which could be agreed or disagreed with), they are not so beholden to you as an incompetent person promoted way beyond their merits.

All these unqualified appointees have to fight for the current incompetence-rewarding system to continue, because if a government that actually cared about competence and qualifications got in, they'd all be out on their ears
Old 12-06-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
That's brilliant.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:15 AM

Quote:

The best part of that totally normal speech is: "For the most part, you have many states where they have so much water, it comes down — it’s called rain. They don’t know what to do with it. … "
Old 12-07-2019, 01:33 AM
Charter Member

Well, Trump calls it "rain", it's a totally original word that he thought up all by himself, like "dog".
Old 12-07-2019, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Well, Trump calls it "rain", it's a totally original word that he thought up all by himself, like "dog".
It makes me wonder, when he says shit like this, if he has this mental image of a big pile of water hanging over a state and it gets so big it comes down and everyone is running around yelling "what do we do?!"

Ok. I'm considering Trump's "mind". I need to go to sleep.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:

TMI!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora maire View Post
It makes me wonder, when he says shit like this, if he has this mental image of a big pile of water hanging over a state and it gets so big it comes down and everyone is running around yelling "what do we do?!"

Ok. I'm considering Trump's "mind". I need to go to sleep.
Inside his "mind."
Old 12-07-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora maire View Post
The best part of that totally normal speech is: "For the most part, you have many states where they have so much water, it comes down — it’s called rain. They don’t know what to do with it. … "
My fave is this one :
Quote:
The new bulb is many times more expensive and — I hate to say it — it doesn’t make you look as good. Of course, being a vain person, that’s very important to me. It’s like — it gives you an orange look. I don’t want an orange look. Has anyone noticed that?
I wonder if a sacrificial aide was discreetly elbowed out of the crowd and tasked with saying "Ummm yessir, we noticed that, we all noticed that some 20 years ago. It's not the lightbulbs sir, it's your face."
Old 12-07-2019, 11:06 AM

Does he think the sun is a really big lightbulb? It's not as if he only has the orangecoon look when he's indoors.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:23 AM

Light bulbs, toilets, rain; who knew being president (and presidential) was so hard.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:41 AM

Light bulbs, toilets, rain; who knew being President (and presidential) was so hard.
Old 12-07-2019, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Quote:
No, he probably just heard us talking about chamber pots.
I could just imagine him looking at a chamber pot...

Where’s the flush handle on this thing?