Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-15-2019, 12:08 PM
Akaj's Avatar
Akaj is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: In the vanishing middle
Posts: 907

Terminator Dark Fate: Where the hell did Carl come from? [spoilers]


Stipulating that time travel plot lines rarely hold up to logical scrutiny, and also that TDF isn't even probably in the top 20% of those in terms of intelligence ...

What future did Schwarzenegger's "Carl" character come from?

(Spoiler: early in the movie, we see a flashback of an Arnold-style terminator killing a young John Connor. Later, in the "present," this terminator is living a quiet life as a drapery installer. For real.)

OK, so in T2, Sarah and John Connor, with the help of the good Arnold terminator, destroy the evil terminator and all the Cyberdyne technology (including the good Arnold terminator) that leads to Skynet and the creation of the terminators. So ... no Cyberdyne, no Judgement Day, no terminators. That future is cancelled.

In TDF, we learn a different company somewhere in the non-Cyberdyne future has created a new AI weapon that, like Skynet, wants to kill all humans etc etc. From that future we get the enhanced human Grace and the new, slicker-than-ever terminator.

Sarah says she's been killing terminators all along, so presumably they come from the new, non-Cyberdyne future. But what future does Carl come from? He can't come from the old Cyberdyne future because it doesn't exist anymore, and it seems pretty unlikely the new AI would just happen to create an identical terminator to terminate a hero who, logically speaking, isn't even necessary anymore (since the future he will impact has already been cancelled).

Was he an earlier edition of the original movie's T1 who just happened to arrive later in Sarah and John's chronology?
__________________
I'm not expecting any surprises.
  #2  
Old 11-15-2019, 12:21 PM
Frazzled is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,181
Sarah mentions that Cyberdyne sent multiple terminators to kill John. Presumably they were all sent at the same time from the future, but to different points in the past. Carl (the one that killed John) was able to complete his job. Once finished, he had no purpose so he created his own. Once he realized how valuable life was he tried to make amends by helping Sarah track down any other terminators passing through time. Apparently it doesn't matter if they came from Cyberdyne or the other future, what Carl detects is the rupture in space/time so he can alert Sarah to that breach.
  #3  
Old 11-15-2019, 12:33 PM
Akaj's Avatar
Akaj is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: In the vanishing middle
Posts: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazzled View Post
Sarah mentions that Cyberdyne sent multiple terminators to kill John. Presumably they were all sent at the same time from the future, but to different points in the past. Carl (the one that killed John) was able to complete his job. Once finished, he had no purpose so he created his own. Once he realized how valuable life was he tried to make amends by helping Sarah track down any other terminators passing through time. Apparently it doesn't matter if they came from Cyberdyne or the other future, what Carl detects is the rupture in space/time so he can alert Sarah to that breach.
So at some point in the Cyberdyne future, Skynet sent several "Arnolds" to kill John, but sent them to different points in the past?

One of them was the one in T1. Another was the one re-programmed by the resistance to help Sarah in T2. And a third was the one who actually succeeded in killing John and became Carl. Others arrived after John was already dead, and Sarah killed them (after being tipped off by Carl)? OK, I guess that makes sense.

Btw, I really enjoyed Carl's story. IMO it could have made a pretty cool flick in its own right -- what does a terminator do once it's fulfilled its mission? I never thought I'd say it, but Schwarzenegger has actually grown into actor enough to pull it off with humor and depth.
__________________
I'm not expecting any surprises.
  #4  
Old 11-15-2019, 01:01 PM
Sterling Archer is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,199
Is this an alt timeline story or something? Are they assuming both T3 and Genesys never happened?
  #5  
Old 11-15-2019, 01:11 PM
steronz is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oh-hiya-Maude
Posts: 5,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Archer View Post
Is this an alt timeline story or something? Are they assuming both T3 and Genesys never happened?
Yes, and Salvation. It's a straight sequel to T2.
  #6  
Old 11-15-2019, 01:23 PM
dorvann is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Archer View Post
Is this an alt timeline story or something? Are they assuming both T3 and Genesys never happened?
As far I can tell these are timelines:

1. The Terminator----Terminator 2: Judgment Day---Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

2. The Terminator----Terminator 2: Judgment Day------Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

3. Terminator: Genysis (it was supposed to be a reboot of the franchise)

4. The Terminator----Terminator 2: Judgment Day----Terminator: Dark Fate

I am not sure where Terminator Salvation fits in. I think it's supposed to continuation of the first timeline but I am not sure.
  #7  
Old 11-15-2019, 04:38 PM
Frazzled is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaj View Post
so at some point in the cyberdyne future, skynet sent several "arnolds" to kill john, but sent them to different points in the past?

One of them was the one in t1. Another was the one re-programmed by the resistance to help sarah in t2. And a third was the one who actually succeeded in killing john and became carl. Others arrived after john was already dead, and sarah killed them (after being tipped off by carl)? Ok, i guess that makes sense.

Btw, i really enjoyed carl's story. Imo it could have made a pretty cool flick in its own right -- what does a terminator do once it's fulfilled its mission? I never thought i'd say it, but schwarzenegger has actually grown into actor enough to pull it off with humor and depth.
Do Not Argue With a Terminator About How to Decorate Your Daughters Bedroom! *

* That was supposed to be all caps but the site won't let it!

Last edited by Frazzled; 11-15-2019 at 04:39 PM.
  #8  
Old 11-15-2019, 04:46 PM
Pork Rind's Avatar
Pork Rind is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Santa Barbara
Posts: 2,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazzled View Post
Do Not Argue With a Terminator About How to Decorate Your Daughters Bedroom! *

* That was supposed to be all caps but the site won't let it!
I enjoyed the movei, andhat was my favorite scene in the whole thing. I really want to see a movie that follows Carl through his transformation from murderous automaton to interior design specialist. There'd be plenty of room for broad physical comedy too. Maybe Carl has to special order ladders since he apparently weighs 400+ pounds. Maybe Carl's customer service is not so polished in the early days. "I want red stripes in this bedroom." "INCORRECT. Fuck you, asshole!"
  #9  
Old 11-15-2019, 04:53 PM
Pork Rind's Avatar
Pork Rind is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Santa Barbara
Posts: 2,667
nm- weird double post.

Last edited by Pork Rind; 11-15-2019 at 04:57 PM.
  #10  
Old 11-15-2019, 04:57 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 86,341
[Moderating]

I haven't seen the movie, but the spoiler in the OP seems rather integral to the discussion, so rather than adding spoiler boxes all over the place, I've labeled the thread.
  #11  
Old 11-15-2019, 05:07 PM
Sterling Archer is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,199
Ok did a little research about Terminator timelines. Is that official “canon” that there was an Alpha timeline with a non-Reese-fathered-John Conner? Because that seems like a fan-fiction workaround theory (I seem to recall there was a specific term for this, but it escapes me) to me of the essential paradox of the Terminator franchise.

Why do we need to explain how the time paradox loop started? It just is. These people would have an aneurysm if they read “By His Bootstraps” or “All you zombies”
  #12  
Old 11-15-2019, 05:21 PM
Fear the Turtle is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: SoCal High Desert
Posts: 823
So why did he age? I'd have liked at least a throw away line: "I learned to alter my appearance to mimic aging to not stand out", or did I miss something?
  #13  
Old 11-15-2019, 05:21 PM
Akaj's Avatar
Akaj is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: In the vanishing middle
Posts: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Rind View Post
I enjoyed the movei, andhat was my favorite scene in the whole thing. I really want to see a movie that follows Carl through his transformation from murderous automaton to interior design specialist. There'd be plenty of room for broad physical comedy too. Maybe Carl has to special order ladders since he apparently weighs 400+ pounds. Maybe Carl's customer service is not so polished in the early days. "I want red stripes in this bedroom." "INCORRECT. Fuck you, asshole!"
I'm kind of curious how Carl was able to live with his (platonic) girlfriend and adopted son for all those years without divulging that he's a machine encased in human flesh. Sure, you can work past the "no sex" and the "weighing 400 pounds" things, but don't they notice that you never eat or use the bathroom?

(Or maybe you do. The flesh casing ages like normal flesh, so maybe it comes with digestive organs, too?)
__________________
I'm not expecting any surprises.
  #14  
Old 11-15-2019, 05:48 PM
Pork Rind's Avatar
Pork Rind is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Santa Barbara
Posts: 2,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaj View Post
I'm kind of curious how Carl was able to live with his (platonic) girlfriend and adopted son for all those years without divulging that he's a machine encased in human flesh. Sure, you can work past the "no sex" and the "weighing 400 pounds" things, but don't they notice that you never eat or use the bathroom?

(Or maybe you do. The flesh casing ages like normal flesh, so maybe it comes with digestive organs, too?)
I wonder if maybe they knew, at least in part. His family seemed pretty resigned when he sent them away. I know he stated something to the effect that he had told them such a day would come, but I dunno, they seemed less distraught than I would have guessed.

I was anxiously waiting to see if he was going to drink one of those beers. All that flesh had to be sustained somehow, no?

Last edited by Pork Rind; 11-15-2019 at 05:49 PM.
  #15  
Old 11-15-2019, 05:54 PM
Akaj's Avatar
Akaj is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: In the vanishing middle
Posts: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Rind View Post
I was anxiously waiting to see if he was going to drink one of those beers. All that flesh had to be sustained somehow, no?
Nope -- he clearly brought out one for everyone but himself.
__________________
I'm not expecting any surprises.
  #16  
Old 11-15-2019, 05:57 PM
Pork Rind's Avatar
Pork Rind is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Santa Barbara
Posts: 2,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaj View Post
Nope -- he clearly brought out one for everyone but himself.
Yeah, I counted. But that leaves me wondering; Is Carl physically unable to drink, or maybe he's learned from hard experience that he's a mean drunk? Can you imagine a terminator fighting drunken-master style?

Maybe terminators have a more developed palate when it comes to beer and just can't go for Pacifico,or was it Corona?

Last edited by Pork Rind; 11-15-2019 at 06:00 PM.
  #17  
Old 11-15-2019, 06:02 PM
Just Asking Questions is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,728
The way I see it:

There was the zeroeth timeline, where a non-Reese sired John saves the world from Skynet, through apparently natural ability.As a last-ditch effort, Skynet sent one (and only one) terminator back. This created a branch in the timeline, leading to:

The Terminator. In this, Reese-sired John is trained by Sarah to become the savior of the future. Here things get tricky.

John, trained by Sarah, grows up, saves the world from Skynet. Skynet, in a last-ditch effort, sends only one liquid metal terminator back in time. John sends a modified 101 to protect John. Skynet is defeated in this timeline before it ever forms. Billions of people live who never lived before. Until!:

Terminator 3. Where it is revealed that humans innate ability to destroy themselves leads to a new Skynet being created differently than before. it wages war on humanity. John, trained by Sarah, defeats Skynet for the first time again. Skynet, in a last-dtich effort, sends one terminator back in time to kill John. This creates a new timeline.

One of the sent back T3 terminators, a model 101, (not a liquid metal - maybe there was only one?) finds and kills John. (Dark fate). This however creates a different timeline, and Skynet is never created.

So Skynet "wins" by killing John, but then, John wasn't needed. The future went differently. Carl lived out his life. He has the ability to look for time travel, but sees none. Instead of Skynet, legion was created. This waged war on mankind. A girl named Dani (who has never met Grace or Sarah) leads the revolution to defeat Legion. No other terminators we sent back in time. Carl is destroyed or rendered ineffective somehow in the war on humanity.

In a last-ditch effort, legion sends at least one Rev-9 terminator and several more of unknown design back in time to kill Dani. Grace is also sent back to protect her. in this timeline, Carl spots the time travel and warns Sarah, who destroys all the rest. (Each one that travels creates a new timeline, but the effects are negligible.Legion is still created.) The rev-9 is destroyed.

Dani grows up knowing Grace. We assume Legion is still created, Dani hopefully defeats it, and ....well, we'll just have to wait for the next movie.

The question I have is, who invented time travel??

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 11-15-2019 at 06:02 PM.
  #18  
Old 11-15-2019, 06:18 PM
Just Asking Questions is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,728
Look how complicated it is! I want to make changes, but the timeline has already locked in!

Change "One of the sent back T3 terminators" to "the terminator". In that timeline, there is only one sent back. the others come later (I think!)

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 11-15-2019 at 06:19 PM.
  #19  
Old 11-15-2019, 10:59 PM
digs's Avatar
digs is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: West of Wauwatosa
Posts: 10,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
... The question I have is, who invented time travel??
It was a cleaning lady named Margaret.

Though it's a precursor to all the timelines, that scene was never filmed, and Cameron doesn't even know about it.
  #20  
Old 11-16-2019, 03:48 AM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 27,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear the Turtle View Post
So why did he age?
The outer shell is organic, I can see it showing the ravages of time.
  #21  
Old 11-16-2019, 09:05 AM
Just Asking Questions is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,728
The thing is, he shouldn't age.

The outer skin isn't even an inch thick. It's not being fed by actual arteries from a heart, it isn't connected to a gland system. It isn't going to grow a grey beard. And it isn't replacing those sloughed off skin cells.

It's a simulation of human skin, and it probably wasn't meant to last even one day. Look what happens just in the span of The Terminator to the 101's skin. He starts to stink and attract flies from the damage.

I know it's a cute way to bring 70 year old Arnie baaahk and not have to digitally de-age him, but it doesn't make sense. He'd have been just the skeleton after a month. Think what happened to the two leads in Death Becomes Her. That's Carl over time.

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 11-16-2019 at 09:07 AM.
  #22  
Old 11-16-2019, 09:18 AM
Just Asking Questions is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,728
Speaking of Terminator skin, apparently the movies forgot that time travel requires living tissue on the outside of whatever you are sending through time. Ever since T2 missed the opportunity to show the T1000 coming through as a sphere encased in skin, which it immediately discards as unnecessary, the movies seem to have forgot that fact. The Rev-9 shows no indication that it comes through with skin. Of course, that means you can encase a 100 megaton bomb in human skin and send it back in time, too, negating the whole movie franchise.

Skynet/Legion never seems to appreciate the butterfly effect. Sure, they can kill Sarah/John/Dani, but all those other people killed as collateral damage? Who knows what changes are also being made to the timeline? As we see from T3, the future changed - the Skynet of T3 was not the one of T prime or T2. And in (by my interpretation of) the Dark Fate prime timeline, even thought they succeeded in killing John, Skynet never was created. They won the battle but lost the war. They changed the timeline so much that they prevented themselves from ever being created.
  #23  
Old 11-16-2019, 09:29 AM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 86,341
Yeah, the skin stays alive while it's in whatever vat it's grown in, but it starts dying as soon as it's wrapped around a Terminator, and rots. A Terminator that's successful in its mission, if it's an ordinary mission, might be able to go back to the factory and get a new skin, but there's no way it'd be able to live out a full life as a human.
  #24  
Old 11-16-2019, 01:12 PM
Pork Rind's Avatar
Pork Rind is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Santa Barbara
Posts: 2,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Speaking of Terminator skin, apparently the movies forgot that time travel requires living tissue on the outside of whatever you are sending through time. Ever since T2 missed the opportunity to show the T1000 coming through as a sphere encased in skin, which it immediately discards as unnecessary, the movies seem to have forgot that fact. The Rev-9 shows no indication that it comes through with skin.
I've just assumed for the sake of sanity that the future scientists figured that one out. Maybe living tissue was never an actual requirement and the human scientists just misunderstood how Skynet was doing it.

Last edited by Pork Rind; 11-16-2019 at 01:12 PM.
  #25  
Old 11-16-2019, 01:28 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 86,341
Say, weren't they toying around with the idea, at one point, that the Terminators' human flesh was modeled on real human badasses, and so they could have Arnold playing the human badass who was the model for the T-800's flesh? I think they ended up skipping that idea, IIRC because for the Terminator movie they were going to use it in, Arnold was busy being governor, but it would have been an alternate way to fit an aged Arnold into the movie.
  #26  
Old 11-16-2019, 02:34 PM
Wesley Clark is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 22,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaj View Post
So at some point in the Cyberdyne future, Skynet sent several "Arnolds" to kill John, but sent them to different points in the past?

One of them was the one in T1. Another was the one re-programmed by the resistance to help Sarah in T2. And a third was the one who actually succeeded in killing John and became Carl. Others arrived after John was already dead, and Sarah killed them (after being tipped off by Carl)? OK, I guess that makes sense.

Btw, I really enjoyed Carl's story. IMO it could have made a pretty cool flick in its own right -- what does a terminator do once it's fulfilled its mission? I never thought I'd say it, but Schwarzenegger has actually grown into actor enough to pull it off with humor and depth.
It was mentioned (in passing) that Skynet sent several terminators when it sent the T-1000. I'm guessing it send a 101 model because that is the same model sent to protect John, and it would be easy to trick Conner with that model.

Anyway, I asked this question five years ago and I guess its been answered.

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...ght=terminator

Marry a single mom and start a drapery business.
__________________
Sometimes I doubt your commitment to sparkle motion
  #27  
Old 11-16-2019, 03:32 PM
Pork Rind's Avatar
Pork Rind is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Santa Barbara
Posts: 2,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Say, weren't they toying around with the idea, at one point, that the Terminators' human flesh was modeled on real human badasses, and so they could have Arnold playing the human badass who was the model for the T-800's flesh? I think they ended up skipping that idea, IIRC because for the Terminator movie they were going to use it in, Arnold was busy being governor, but it would have been an alternate way to fit an aged Arnold into the movie.
That scene was filmed but ultimately cut. It also explains the accent. Worth a watch.

https://youtu.be/kayFrIR-Qfw
  #28  
Old 11-16-2019, 05:21 PM
cochrane is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 22,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
The question I have is, who invented time travel??
Doctor Emmet Brown.
  #29  
Old 11-19-2019, 06:32 PM
iamthewalrus(:3= is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 12,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Yeah, the skin stays alive while it's in whatever vat it's grown in, but it starts dying as soon as it's wrapped around a Terminator, and rots. A Terminator that's successful in its mission, if it's an ordinary mission, might be able to go back to the factory and get a new skin, but there's no way it'd be able to live out a full life as a human.
Where did you get that idea?

That's not supported by the text of any of the movies that I can think of. In T2, Sarah explicitly asks the T101 if his wounds will heal, and he says yes. Yes, there's the scene in T1 where he starts to attract flies, but that's because the flesh has been damaged and the wounds not kept clean. The same thing happens to humans with wounds that aren't cared for, and we don't start dying when we come out of our vats.
  #30  
Old 11-19-2019, 06:52 PM
Just Asking Questions is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus(:3= View Post
Where did you get that idea?

That's not supported by the text of any of the movies that I can think of. In T2, Sarah explicitly asks the T101 if his wounds will heal, and he says yes. Yes, there's the scene in T1 where he starts to attract flies, but that's because the flesh has been damaged and the wounds not kept clean. The same thing happens to humans with wounds that aren't cared for, and we don't start dying when we come out of our vats.
But our skin is part of a complete body. Heart, arteries, veins, liver, kidneys, lymph, GI tract. Everything a body needs to replenish skin, heal wounds. Where is a terminator going to get nutrition to repair skin damage?

I wouldn't trust they thought things through science-wise in T2.
  #31  
Old 11-20-2019, 01:09 AM
epbrown01 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaj View Post
Stipulating that time travel plot lines rarely hold up to logical scrutiny, and also that TDF isn't even probably in the top 20% of those in terms of intelligence ...

What future did Schwarzenegger's "Carl" character come from?
The flaw in your reasoning is thinking the Terminators were sent at different times. The premise is that Skynet sent multiple Terminators at once, sprinkled throughout history. Carl was sent by Skynet the same time as the Terminators in T1 and T2, before the future was altered. It's why he's still around even though Legion replaced Skynet.

Indeed, it opens up the idea that there are lots of cyborg assassins from different futures roaming the past, something that the Sarah Conner Chronicles played with.
  #32  
Old 11-20-2019, 02:43 AM
Face Intentionally Left Blank's Avatar
Face Intentionally Left Blank is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hooterville
Posts: 3,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
But our skin is part of a complete body. Heart, arteries, veins, liver, kidneys, lymph, GI tract. Everything a body needs to replenish skin, heal wounds. Where is a terminator going to get nutrition to repair skin damage?

I wouldn't trust they thought things through science-wise in T2.
There are two ways to approach this: You either accept the idea that future science has found a way to nourish skin and keep it alive, or you don't. We really don't know what's going on between the skin and the endoskeleton. When the flesh is burnt away from a T-800, the abdominal area seems too thin(much like a human's abdominal area when reduced to a skeleton), so there is room where modified organs or some super-science replacement could be placed to keep the skin nourished. Maybe with only the skin to keep alive, the necessary support can be downsized and simplified in some super-science fashion. That bit of handwaving could explain this.

Kyle Reese said that the T-800's were not just used for killing John Conner, but were used in the future, infiltrating and killing humans. The skin made them much more difficult to detect vs rubber-skinned models. Since the robot overlords had been using them for awhile, maybe they had time to make a proper support system for the skin. It would be to their advantage to have it last longer and be more durable.

The way the T-1000 and later models come through and don't require living tissue is asinine. They just ignored, unnecessarily, a deliberately outlined rule of time travel as set up in the first movie. It could have easily been shown that they peel off and discard unneeded flesh as they arrive, but they don't. I suppose you could say the T-1000 could mimic the properties of flesh, but that just seems like BS to me. When they shoot him, he looks like a tin can. I just choose to ignore this, but it seems problematic.

Frankly, any sequels to T2 are a mistake. The first two movies were wonderfully done. If they HAD to do a sequel, they needed to go past the day the AI took over and show the resistance. Any further mucking about with the timeline before that day is just going to get messy.
  #33  
Old 11-20-2019, 12:57 PM
iamthewalrus(:3= is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 12,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
But our skin is part of a complete body. Heart, arteries, veins, liver, kidneys, lymph, GI tract. Everything a body needs to replenish skin, heal wounds. Where is a terminator going to get nutrition to repair skin damage?
Same magic future tech place they got a time machine from?

Terminator 2 took place over at least a few days, in the heat of Southern California/Mexico. A pile of dead flesh is a putrescent mess after a few days.
  #34  
Old 11-20-2019, 01:00 PM
iamthewalrus(:3= is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 12,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank View Post
The way the T-1000 and later models come through and don't require living tissue is asinine. They just ignored, unnecessarily, a deliberately outlined rule of time travel as set up in the first movie. It could have easily been shown that they peel off and discard unneeded flesh as they arrive, but they don't. I suppose you could say the T-1000 could mimic the properties of flesh, but that just seems like BS to me. When they shoot him, he looks like a tin can. I just choose to ignore this, but it seems problematic.
My fan-wank on this, which is not supported by the movies but is (mostly) consistent with them, is that each movie is basically a separate iteration of a time loop, and just as Skynet had more sophisticated Terminators the second go-round because they got bootstrapped by the remains from the first loop, they got more sophisticated time machines too. That doesn't explain why they still come through naked, though, so maybe it's dumb.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017