Old 01-11-2018, 05:44 PM
BANNED

TV Stars/Celebrities you disliked when you were a child

as the one about shows is popular , lets start one about tv stars or characters you disliked when you were younger

i will start

Justine of Tracy Beaker , didnt like her
also Ronaldo when he played for man united , being a bolton fan , he wasnt my favourite person
Old 01-11-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecejackox View Post
as the one about shows is popular , lets start one about tv stars or characters you disliked when you were younger

i will start

Justine of Tracy Beaker , didnt like her
also Ronaldo when he played for man united , being a bolton fan , he wasnt my favourite person
So we're including athletes? That should make things more interesting.

This one isn't an athlete but sports-related: Woody Hayes. He was longtime coach of The Ohio State University. I'll grant as a coach, he was a first-rate tactical genius but that belligerent bespectacled Nazi was also a first-rate asshole with severe anger management problems who made Bobby Knight look like Gandhi. (For the record, I'm not from Michigan. I'm guessing a lot of Michigan fans and other Big 10 schools who watched college football during the 60s and 70s have even worse opinions about Hayes.)

Last FM Library Thing
Old 01-11-2018, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Topo Gigio; annoying fucking rat.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Lucille Ball. I never found her particularly funny (though I suppose it was indifference rather than hate).
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Lucille Ball. I never found her particularly funny (though I suppose it was indifference rather than hate).
William Frawley, who was also on "I Love Lucy". But then, apparently everybody hated that guy in real life, so there's that.

Jimmy Dodd on the Mickey Mouse Club in the 50s. He may have been a nice guy, but more of him meant less of Annette.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:50 AM

Carol Channing always annoyed me. She was on the 'special guest star' circuit in the 70's when I was a kid and showed up everywhere and I had no idea why that creepy woman was even famous.

Last edited by Don Draper; 01-12-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:54 AM

Carol Channing (voice is so grating)
Charo
Mason Reese

The last two were everywhere. Mike Douglas, Merv Griffin, Hollywood Squares, commercials, Love Boat, Fantasy Island. There were only three channels, they were hard to avoid.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:26 AM

These are all British ones from the 1960s which was when my parents first had a TV.

Bruce Forsyth, Bob Monkhouse, Max Bygraves .. they all had a similar smirking, arrogant look-at-me-aren't-I-clever TV personality that I found really repellent.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:31 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Charo - never understood her fame or popularity.

Another vote for Lucille Ball - I never understood her appeal.

Rodney Dangerfield - just ick.

I'm sure there were more, but these are the first who came to mind.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:47 AM

Never liked Kirk Cameron. His character on the painfully unfunny Growing Pains was a smarmy little shit and as it turns out, it wasn't really an act.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:52 AM

Wayland and Madame.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:07 AM

Bad ventriloquists.

Edgar Bergen
Buffalo Bob Smith

and special mention to Señor Wences.

It isn't that hard to learn how to not move your lips. I learned it as a kid from reading a book.

Arthur Godfrey. Why would anyone watch this jerk???
Old 01-12-2018, 11:10 AM

Sonny Bono. He couldn't sing, he wasn't funny and he wasn't even nice to look at. He was the part you had to put up with in order to see gorgeous Cher (though of course he's the one that got them the show)

Aunt Bee. What an unpleasant old scold. I mean, I know she's supposed to be, but as a kid, at least, I didn't see any humor in her character.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Benny Hill. I only watched so I could maybe see a 1.5 seconds worth of boob flash. All that pain for such little gain.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:39 AM

Gene Hackman. I know, I know! He's a great actor. But the first place I saw him was as Lex Luthor. He was mean to Superman!! And I was 6 or 7 when that came out.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

There was a whole pantheon of people who appeared on Ed Sullivan that were annoying, including Sullivan himself. Comedians like Totie Fields, Jackie Mason, Buddy Hackett; singers like Anthony Newly and others.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:38 PM

Burl Ives. Hate his voice, hate his singing voice, hate his persona, hate that snowman on the Rudolph show. He always reminded me of a grandfather who didn't like kids at all, would make you fetch his bourbon and then trip you after you fetched it and call you "clumsy."
Old 01-12-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
Burl Ives. Hate his voice, hate his singing voice, hate his persona, hate that snowman on the Rudolph show. He always reminded me of a grandfather who didn't like kids at all, would make you fetch his bourbon and then trip you after you fetched it and call you "clumsy."
I still find "Have a Holly Jolly Christmas" to be a little creepy.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:45 PM

Captain Kangaroo, Mr. Moose, Grandfather Clock and Mr. Cream Cheese were all pretty cool.

Dancing Bear? I always hoped he'd keel over during a dance marathon, clutching his chest with a massive MI.

Bunny Rabbit!?! Road kill! With a dash of thyme, rosemary, basil and bay leaf, he'd make a nice stew.

...but, I wouldn't kick Debbie out of bed for eatin' crackers.
_______

Mr. Rogers? Meh.

Lady Fairchild!?! What sort of orifices was that depraved birch-bitch sticking her nose in to stain her proboscis that dark brown color (shudder)?

…but, I wouldn't kick Lady Aberlin out of bed for eatin' crackers.

Ok, maybe these aren't celebrities in the strictest sense, but they were to me at the time.

Last edited by Tibby; 01-12-2018 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Buddy Hackett
Interesting thing about Hackett was that he was a blue comedian. His uncensored acts were amazing, but on TV he lost all his edge. Here's an example of his NSFW work:

"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
I agree Lucy and Ethel were most often tedious, sometimes cringe-worthy characters. I always appreciated Lucille Ball's talent (e.g. her bit with Harpo Marx was inspired), but most of her skits never clicked with me.

However, Ricky Ricardo always made me laugh, particularly his scenes with Fred Mertz. I believe Desi Arnez and Lucille Ball were a talented, powerful team in their time, but, Desi was the comedic (and business) powerhouse of the duo.

Last edited by Tibby; 01-12-2018 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
Aunt Bee. What an unpleasant old scold. I mean, I know she's supposed to be, but as a kid, at least, I didn't see any humor in her character.
Frances Bouvier was in an episode of the Lone Ranger in which she played a woman who raised her nephews to be outlaws and masterminded their robberies. She was a mean, nasty woman who bossed her nephews around worse than she bossed Andy and Opie. Tonto said of her to the Lone Ranger after she and her nephews tried to kill them and were defeated, "Next time I take easy job, Kemosabe. I fight men, you fight woman."
Old 01-12-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibby or Not Tibby View Post
Captain Kangaroo, Mr. Moose, Grandfather Clock and Mr. Cream Cheese were all pretty cool.

Dancing Bear? I always hoped he'd keel over during a dance marathon, clutching his chest with a massive MI.

Bunny Rabbit!?! Road kill! With a dash of thyme, rosemary, basil and bay leaf, he'd make a nice stew.

...but, I wouldn't kick Debbie out of bed for eatin' crackers.
_______

Mr. Rogers? Meh.

Lady Fairchild!?! What sort of orifices was that depraved birch-bitch sticking her nose in to stain her proboscis that dark brown color (shudder)?

…but, I wouldn't kick Lady Aberlin out of bed for eatin' crackers.

Ok, maybe these aren't celebrities in the strictest sense, but they were to me at the time.
Memo to myself: Buy more crackers.

Quote:
Interesting thing about Hackett was that he was a blue comedian. His uncensored acts were amazing, but on TV he lost all his edge.
Not true.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:41 PM

Did anyone anywhere ever find Rip Taylor funny?
Old 01-12-2018, 11:49 PM

Jason Hervey (Wonder Years, Pee Wee's Big Adventure) was good at playing bullies and brats - when I was a kid, I just wanted to punch him so badly. So I suppose he did a good job there.

I used to loathe Cheers episodes with Shelley Long, and preferred the broader comedy of the later seasons. Now I really appreciate her much more and love watching the first three seasons in particular. I think some of that is maturity on my part, and also being able to distinguish an actor from an unlikeable character.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:27 AM

Ozzie and Harriet, they creeped me out. I always thought they were mean to their kids when we weren't there watching.