Old 01-21-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur866 View Post
Don't you guys have phones?
Can't watch a tape on a phone, pal. So I use a player to play an old tape for video capture.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmore View Post
If you're looking to rent over streaming, don't we kind of have this today? Maybe not from one provider, but if you're renting it shouldn't matter. Add the free apps for RedBox, Amazon, Vudu, Fandango, Google Play, iTunes, etc to your streaming device and then rent from whichever one has the movie you want. The exception would be if a subscription provider has exclusive rights to some content it might not be available for rent on other providers.
Well, I find renting to be psychologically reprehensible (moreso than I find streaming, oddly), so you won't find me looking for that. As for people who are willing to rent content, I can only assume they don't like such services because they think they're too expensive, maybe? We've all been conditioned to want to pay less for content when it's downloaded, because it weighs less than physical media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmore View Post
One benefit to the streaming apps is that they often recommend other movies based around the one you picked. They can show what other customers also rented or other movies you may like. It can be a way to help you discover movies you might not have otherwise found.
Sure. A unified rental app could do the same. A dozen separate ones not so much, of course.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sure.

I have a flip phone.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Sure.

I have a flip phone.
I've got a landline.

Works great. Does everything I could possibly want a phone to do.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
Well, I find renting to be psychologically reprehensible (moreso than I find streaming, oddly), so you won't find me looking for that. As for people who are willing to rent content, I can only assume they don't like such services because they think they're too expensive, maybe? We've all been conditioned to want to pay less for content when it's downloaded, because it weighs less than physical media.

Sure. A unified rental app could do the same. A dozen separate ones not so much, of course.
When it comes to renting (as opposed to subscription based streaming), pretty much all the services have all the same movies for the same price (outside of occasional sales). So the service you want to use is really dependent on your own preferences. Like I normally use Google Play because it plays well with Chromecast and I usually have Google Play credit.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm trying to imagine watching a movie on a tiny little screen that's the size of this reply window. It would be horrible.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Do you mean one of these?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_...ephone1951.jpg
Old 01-21-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Some of us haven't yet attained the enlightenment that lets us realize that all great works of art were created by a major American media company within the last two years. And that therefore every great movie can be found among the two hundred choices offered by a Red Box.
This makes no sense at all. I love documentaries, old movies, art films etc. Netflix was a godsend when it came out. They have a very long tale regarding those kinds of things. It was Blockbuster that only carried the current offerings, save maybe a small foreign film shelf.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

These descriptions of video stores having only the latest hits is foreign to me. Blockbuster didn't end to have more hits, but they had a lot more. And if you went to a rival like Hollywood Video, the variety was great. There used to be a lot of independent places with their own quirks. And the Hollywood Video I went to was huge.

The physical act of browsing through physical objects in the company of other people was a very fertile ground for discovery and learning.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Jackson View Post
This makes no sense at all. I love documentaries, old movies, art films etc. Netflix was a godsend when it came out. They have a very long tale regarding those kinds of things. It was Blockbuster that only carried the current offerings, save maybe a small foreign film shelf.
Netflix may have had a great selection when it started out but its choices have been diminishing year by year. They're putting most of their money into producing their own series now. The average Blockbuster had ten thousand movies in its inventory. Netflix currently has less than four thousand. Hell, I have more movies than that.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Netflix may have had a great selection when it started out but its choices have been diminishing year by year. They're putting most of their money into producing their own series now. The average Blockbuster had ten thousand movies in its inventory. Netflix currently has less than four thousand. Hell, I have more movies than that.
That four thousand number has to be for streaming - numbers I've seen for the DVD service is more like 90K discs although that's not all movies. And they're never going to have as large a selection on streaming as they do for DVDs, for much the same reason that Netflix DVD had a bigger selection than neighborhood video stores or even Blockbuster. The Netflix DVD model makes it worthwhile to have a single copy of lots of somewhat obscure movies. It doesn't make sense to get a streaming license for a movie that only 100 people in the US watch a year. It doesn't make sense for my local Captain Video or Blockbuster to buy a copy if only 100 people a year rent it nationwide - it may be that no one in my area ever rents it. I don't don't recall even big chains allowing you to order a movie from another location because your local Blockbuster didn't own a copy of "Godzilla vs Mothra" but one in Chicago did. Netflix, however can buy one single copy and send it to any of their members that want that movie, whether they live in LA or NY. Yes, you'll have to wait for that one copy to be available and you'll have to wait for shipping. But that's why it makes sense for them to have a larger selection.

Last edited by doreen; 01-22-2019 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:39 AM

The last DVD rental store in our area closed about a year ago.

You could buy used DVDs there. Now, aside from Best Buy and the latest things at places like Target or Wal-Mart, the only places to get things are Newbury Comics and the dwindling number of FYE stores, and both of those have severely cut back their DVD collections. (Too bad, too. I could usually count on finding some good rare gem at FYE) Beyond that, there's flea markets, antique stores, and the Internet.

My problem, of course, is that I'm looking for obscure items that no one is likely to have. I found Harryhausen's colorized version of Merian c. Cooper's She and Murnau's version of Die Niebelung at FYE. Our library has a pretty decent collection with some great odd stuff - I found the complete Fractured Flickers there, along with the silent version of Faust.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
I found the complete Fractured Flickers there...
Boy, that brings back memories.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:09 AM

Toronto's venerable Suspect Video has closed (the entire block including Honest Ed's and The Beguiling got razed) but offbeat movies for rent and sale are still available at Eyesore Cinema at Bloor & Danforth, along with cult film screenings in the back room (I'm doing one on Saturday)!

and before you freak out, the Beguiling moved to College St.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

There's a show on FX called "You're the Worst" and the season premiere a couple of weeks ago portrayed a 1990s era video store, with the stereotypical movie geek store clerk, who knew everything about every movie and could advise you what to watch. Note that this scene had nothing to do with the actual content of the show, but it made sense in context. Also note that Quentin Tarantino supposedly was that stereotypical movie geek video store clerk before he made movies of his own.

Anyhow, the episode made me nostalgic for those days. Sure today, prediction engines like the one Netflix uses can recommend movies to you, based on what you've watched and liked. But the personal touch and human interaction was nice.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:13 PM

I think part of the problem is copyrights can be so conflicted that it doesn't pay to put the product out there unless you're absolutely sure of who owns what.

With digital or a stream, if you get hit with a claim, you can pull it but when you've mass produced huge numbers you'd have to recall them or pay up on a claim.

Also hard drives are becoming larger and much cheaper, I recently saw a 14tb on sale for a little over $500.00 on Newegg.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
"Should be" based on what?
Based on my own cheap gut feeling. At that price point I wouldn't worry about the cost. Anything more I might as well watch whatever crap Netflix or Hulu has.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carryon View Post
I think part of the problem is copyrights can be so conflicted that it doesn't pay to put the product out there unless you're absolutely sure of who owns what.
The copyright issues for a videotape vs DVD vs streaming are identical. There can be problems, but not usually based on format.

What can be a problem are payments to the various people involved. Writers, actors, etc.

Old standard contracts didn't deal with home media. Once home media came along, they still didn't usually deal with stuff like streaming. So you got to track down old contracts, find out who inherited the estate of the dead folk, try to figure out what SAG-AFTRA or other union rules apply, etc.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Star Trek Discovery streams on Netflix, though. So what's the issue?
Old 01-22-2019, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavis Topholese View Post
Toronto's venerable Suspect Video has closed (the entire block including Honest Ed's and The Beguiling got razed)
I was just getting over the closing of The World's Biggest Bookstore and now you tell me this.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:42 PM

I just use Amazon Prime. Many movies, especially in my preferred genre "horror", are included with my membership. And anything that isn't included, like most new releases, I just rent a la carte.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:54 PM

Agree! Online browsing sucks, browsing shelves of real objects is vastly better, allows for serendipitous discoveries.

I also want more audiobooks available on cd. I don't want to subscribe to Audiophile -- I don't want more subscriptions, dammit! I don't want MP3's. I just want to listen to good book on cd when I'm on a long road trip.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_Nenno View Post
Star Trek Discovery streams on Netflix, though. So what's the issue?
Not in the US it doesn't. It's a CBS property, available only on their own paid streaming service. Netflix paid for the rest-of-the-world streaming rights, which is fine by me.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:26 AM
Charter Member

I don’t get the nostalgia for video stores. I’m glad some people had the experience of a cook funky independent store staffed by movie buffs, but my experience was having to deal with apathetic teens. And, of course, they could see what you were renting.

I do agree the fragmentation of online streaming is getting quite annoying. I also don’t like the increased focus on original content. These days, I very rarely want to invest the time into a new tv show, I’ve just got two hours for a film.

I do like having a Redbox nearby. They’re always sending discount codes and the picture and sound quality of a Blu Ray is better than a stream.

I am really trying to avoid buying physical DVDs and Blu Rays unless I am absolutely sure I’m going to watch it over again. My apartment is small and I just don’t have room for storing lots of physical media of DVDs, CDs, and books. Plus, I know I’ll eventually have to move and make a purge of a lot of physical media.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:11 AM

the last good video store closed about 10-15 years ago...….. But to me the video stores weren't better or worse than pay cable 4 or 5 good movies a month 10 or 15 corman soft core thrillers types no budget slashers and a few classics here and there …… what they were great for were obscure video games I played so many off the beaten path games …..

and Netflix isn't much better than either stores or cable but what saved Netflix then and still saves them now is realizing people wanted to watch seasons of old tv shows with out discs and tapes and the high prices I mean you could do it in the vhs days if you wanted a tape with 4 eps for 15.99 every month or so then on dvd you could get whole seasons for 40 and up

why pay that when I could watch 80 percent of the tv shows ever made for days on end for 15.99 a month?

Funny thing is these days most of what id go to a video store for is on tcm or movies! type of channels

Last edited by nightshadea; 01-25-2019 at 06:13 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
(Chili, Elmira, and Fulton)
Drove by the Chili location last year. I was stunned to see a video rental store still open.

Powers &8^]
Old 01-25-2019, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

I'm not sure I'm nostalgic for video stores, but I certainly do like buying and watching DVDs. I have no interest in streaming. Watch a movie on a screen I can hold in my hand? Or a 17-inch monitor? No thanks. I've got over 800 DVDs on my shelf, and Netflix sends me DVDs every month to watch. On my surround-sound home theater system.

My Netflix queue stays at about 150 discs, as I watch and add stuff all the time. A couple of years ago, for shits and giggles, I tested to see how much of my queue was available for streaming. Less than 20 discs. Why on earth would I want to convert from a system where 150 movies are at my beck and call, to one with maybe 10% of that availability?

For foreign, cult, classic, and esoteric fare, I don't think you can beat Netflix DVDs.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
I'm not sure I'm nostalgic for video stores, but I certainly do like buying and watching DVDs. I have no interest in streaming. Watch a movie on a screen I can hold in my hand? Or a 17-inch monitor? No thanks. I've got over 800 DVDs on my shelf, and Netflix sends me DVDs every month to watch. On my surround-sound home theater system.
I stream everything and watch it on my 55" hi-def surround sound system.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

I could do that. But to what benefit?

Option A: Stream from a restricted catalog through my system.
Option B: Play DVDs from a much (MUCH) wider selection on my system.

It seems to me that one of the benefits I see touted for streaming is "portability." Which I don't care for one whit.

All told, there is no benefit to Option A, for me. At least none that I see.

And here's an honest question...one of the main reasons I enjoy DVDs are all the bonus features. Behind the scenes, commentaries, deleted takes, etc. A great many of the DVDs I own (and quite a few of the ones I rent) are chock full of these features. Many have separate discs dedicated to these features. Does streaming allow access to these? I'm guessing not, but I honestly don't know for sure, never having done it.

Last edited by divemaster; 01-25-2019 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers View Post
Drove by the Chili location last year. I was stunned to see a video rental store still open.
I believe there are three video rental stores still open in the area. (None in Rochester itself; they're all in the suburbs.) Family Video in North Chili, Video Classic in East Rochester, and Village Mall Video in Webster.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I could do that. But to what benefit?

Option A: Stream from a restricted catalog through my system.
Option B: Play DVDs from a much (MUCH) wider selection on my system.

It seems to me that one of the benefits I see touted for streaming is "portability." Which I don't care for one whit.

All told, there is no benefit to Option A, for me. At least none that I see.
One minor consideration in favor of streaming is that some recent movies and TV shows are only available via one of the streaming services. Primarily, of course, these are movies and TV shows produced or owned by those services. (The movie Bird Box, for instance, is only available on Netflix. The drama series Bodyguard aired on the BBC in the UK, but outside there is only available on Netflix.)

Obviously, there's a hundred years worth of movies and decades of television available on physical media, so you'll always have something to watch but a lot of new content isn't going to ever be released on DVD or Blu-ray.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Obviously, there's a hundred years worth of movies and decades of television available on physical media, so you'll always have something to watch but a lot of new content isn't going to ever be released on DVD or Blu-ray.
I have thought about that, and it does concern me. Right now, it's not a problem. The amount of "new content" I watch is...minuscule. I tend to wait until something gets good word of mouth and then pick it up at my leisure. 99% of TV shows I have no interest in watching. However, some do rise above. I've DVD'd through Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, The Americans, and a few others that way. Am currently waiting for the last season of Game of Thrones to be released. I'm fine to wait. Even Netflix original content, like Stranger Things, I've been able to get the DVDs.

If somehow that changes (i.e., Netflix shutters its DVD rental business) and I run out of "foreign, cult, classic, and esoteric fare" to watch, and my shelves of DVDs are all stale from re-watches, THEN I might stream something. But at what cost? Can I really stream Delinquent Girl Boss: Worthless to Confess, or Tokyo Drifter, or Samurai Trilogy 2: Duel at Ichijoji Temple or The Testament of Dr. Mabuse, or Sukiyaki Western Django or Broken Blossoms on a whim? Right now, I can have these DVDs delivered to my door in 2 days.

Or, to pick a more mass-market example--how about Cars? I'm a huge fan of Pixar movies and I probably own most of them on DVD. But I have not seen Cars. It's in my Netflix queue and if I so choose I can have it Monday. But from what I understand (and I could be wrong about this), if I wanted to stream it, I'd have to sign up for some other service.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:

Or, to pick a more mass-market example--how about Cars? I'm a huge fan of Pixar movies and I probably own most of them on DVD. But I have not seen Cars. It's in my Netflix queue and if I so choose I can have it Monday. But from what I understand (and I could be wrong about this), if I wanted to stream it, I'd have to sign up for some other service.
Stream it for $3.99 here.
Yes, you would have to establish an amazon.com account (no charge), but you don't have to sign up for Prime and you don't have to pay any kind of monthly, annual, or other recurring fee.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
If somehow that changes (i.e., Netflix shutters its DVD rental business) and I run out of "foreign, cult, classic, and esoteric fare" to watch, and my shelves of DVDs are all stale from re-watches, THEN I might stream something. But at what cost? Can I really stream Delinquent Girl Boss: Worthless to Confess, or Tokyo Drifter, or Samurai Trilogy 2: Duel at Ichijoji Temple or The Testament of Dr. Mabuse, or Sukiyaki Western Django or Broken Blossoms on a whim? Right now, I can have these DVDs delivered to my door in 2 days.
Delinquent Girl Boss: Worthless to Confess -- Can't find that one

Tokyo Drifter -- Amazon, iTunes

Samurai Trilogy 2: Duel at Ichijoji Temple -- amazon, iTunes

Sukiyaki Western Django -- youtube, amazon, google play

Broken Blossoms -- amazon

Last edited by Alley Dweller; 01-25-2019 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:39 PM

The Testament of Dr. Mabuse -- amazon

(Sorry -- missed that one.)
Old 01-25-2019, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

That *is* very heartening to know in case Netflix DVDs go away. I've been quite worried that my viewing interests will take a hit if (when) that comes to pass. Right now, there's no point in signing up for these other sources, or paying $3.99 for something I can already get via my current Netflix subscription.

Oh, and I just checked the Amazon version for The Testament of Dr. Mabuse. It's a cut/edited 75 minute version, with (I imagine) dodgy quality. (Sinister Cinema?) The version I watched was the full 2 hour uncut version from Criterion, with restored audio/video.

But your point is well-taken. I'm sure if Amazon has the dodgy version, I could click around and find the Criterion version for streaming somewhere. But until I HAVE to do that, I'll just keep on trucking with the DVDs.

But I need to come back to...

Quote:
one of the main reasons I enjoy DVDs are all the bonus features. Behind the scenes, commentaries, deleted takes, etc. A great many of the DVDs I own (and quite a few of the ones I rent) are chock full of these features. Many have separate discs dedicated to these features. Does streaming allow access to these? I'm guessing not, but I honestly don't know for sure, never having done it.
For example, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse has a whole separate DVD dedicated to bonus features. Are those available on streaming? Honest question.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:22 PM

This story was in my regional newspaper today, and I thought of this thread. While this place does not do rentals (not any more), they have branched out into board games, and have obtained permission from Lego to purchase and re-sell used Legos.

https://qctimes.com/business/after-y...eafc18f35.html
Old 02-04-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
... and have obtained permission from Lego to purchase and re-sell used Legos.
You don't need Lego's permission to trade in used Legos. The article itself just says they "entered into a partnership with Lego" for selling new and "pre-used" sets. Presumably the "new" component is the partnership aspect. You can get wholesale deals and such if you go with their marketing campaigns.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:44 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Jackson View Post
That doesnít tell the whole story.
First total sales of CDs last year was around 37 million compared to cassettes at 118,000. The 19% jump translates into relatively low numbers.

And over 50% of cassette sales are old music; Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, etc.

Additionally, most of the major hip-hop artists (by far the largest segment of popular music) refuse to release in CD format (or are at least having major delays in releasing, prompting download sales). 21 Pilots is championing cassettes further boosting sales.

Finally major outlets like Best Buy are now refusing to stock CDs.

There are many reasons CD sales are down (and cassettes sales are up) but customer preference isnít one of them.

Yeah, everytime you see some article touting vinyl's comeback you should ask to see the actual numbers and not the percent. That's an easy way to make a trend look more authoritative that it is.

A quick search turns up that vinyl record sales did grow in 2013-14. By about 20%. Good for them. But it was from about $9MM to about $12MM. Meanwhile, streaming music sales gain 54% that same year-over-year to 1.26B streams. I don't know what the represents in $$$ but it's a lot.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
You don't need Lego's permission to trade in used Legos. The article itself just says they "entered into a partnership with Lego" for selling new and "pre-used" sets. Presumably the "new" component is the partnership aspect. You can get wholesale deals and such if you go with their marketing campaigns.
I got the impression that they did. Anyway, it would be a great way for people of all ages to get them at cut rates, because they can be very expensive.