Old 02-09-2019, 10:59 PM

Driving Don'ts

I've been meaning to write this thead for quite a while; just a collection of "things you shoudl not do while driving, or at least be damn careful, you absolute coke bottle." Sort of a Venting for my Mental Health. PLease feel free to add your own choice items!

Number #1: The Generous Driver!

We've all met the guy who slows down so somebody else can turn into the lane or cut across. Y'now what? I won't normally complain about this. Fine, fine, if it slows me down it's ok. No big deal.

However, here is a small tip. Do not, ever, under any circumstances, do this near an intersection. I constantly see people be "nice" by going through an intersection and then STOPPING so they can let people go ahead of them - and holding up a line of people who need to go through a light, and/or getting stuck in the imddle of the intersection unexpectedly.

Number #2: The Last Minute Lane Change!

For the love of all that's holy, plan ahead. Shoving your way into a crowded lane at the last minute just slows things down for everyone. And it's pretty jerkish to zoom past people and then shove in ahead of them anyway.

Number #3: The Car-Sitter.

Don't just sit in your car in a crowded partking lot, taking up a spot while doing nothing. It's just... irritating.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling bandit View Post

Don't just sit in your car in a crowded partking lot, taking up a spot while doing nothing. It's just... irritating.
I sit in a parked car frequently. Sometimes I am waiting for the person I am with to finish what they are doing and then we are on to the next thing. Sometimes I am reading, or listening to the radio to kill time. Sorry (not) if you're irritated. I'm not obliged to move or to get out of the car just to ease your blood pressure.

I'll tell you one thing not to do in a parking lot, and that's to sit blocking the aisle and wait for a car to back out of their spot, starting from when you see them open their door, and not give a damn whose cars can't drive past you. If there's room for you to move to one side and turn on your blinker, fine; if not, then move on! You don't even know if that person is actually leaving. In any case, you don't own that spot just because you were the first one to see that it might become empty soon.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

We've all met the guy who slows down so somebody else can turn into the lane or cut across. Y'now what? I won't normally complain about this. Fine, fine, if it slows me down it's ok. No big deal.

However, here is a small tip. Do not, ever, under any circumstances, do this near an intersection. I constantly see people be "nice" by going through an intersection and then STOPPING so they can let people go ahead of them - and holding up a line of people who need to go through a light, and/or getting stuck in the imddle of the intersection unexpectedly.
The correct argument against this behavior is that it's dangerous. We have a set of driving rules that are codified by the local authority. If we all abide by these rules accidents decrease dramatically..

IT IS NOT OK to ignore the rules and attempt to wave someone through an intersection or something else idiotic. Accidents happen when the agreed upon rules are ignored - your attempt at being kind put other drivers at risk.

Want to be a courteous driver? Follow the fucking rules!
Old 02-09-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
I sit in a parked car frequently. Sometimes I am waiting for the person I am with to finish what they are doing and then we are on to the next thing. Sometimes I am reading, or listening to the radio to kill time. Sorry (not) if you're irritated. I'm not obliged to move or to get out of the car just to ease your blood pressure.

I'll tell you one thing not to do in a parking lot, and that's to sit blocking the aisle and wait for a car to back out of their spot, starting from when you see them open their door, and not give a damn whose cars can't drive past you. If there's room for you to move to one side and turn on your blinker, fine; if not, then move on! You don't even know if that person is actually leaving. In any case, you don't own that spot just because you were the first one to see that it might become empty soon.
I'll second this with: it's not that far; walk from a further space; it won't hurt you. Drives me nuts for people to wait 3 minutes for a space to open when they could have parked and walked an extra 15 feet and been inside already.

Here's one from me: Don't wait until right before the entrance ramp ends to match the highway traffic speed. You're fucking us all up by doing 45 mph until 20 feet before we all have to merge with people doing 65. I know you want to see what's coming, but it's without a doubt going to be vehicles moving about 65 miles per hour; plan on that and act accordingly.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-09-2019 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:

It's also advisable to avoid letting someone in when they're exiting a parking lot. Sometimes traffic not far in front of you is stopped though, usually because of a red light and it makes sense. And if stopped traffic is directly in front, it seems right not to block the driveway, because after all you shouldn't pull into an intersection if you can't clear it. But you don't know if that person will (would be fault on their part) pull out across other lanes where drivers proceeding through aren't prepared for that, so it can be very tricky. This can be a common reason for collisions when an entrance to a lot is near a busy intersection.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:35 AM

Don't keep driving when I stop for an ambulance. You will hit my car and kill someone in it.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:55 AM
Charter Member

Please clear the snow and ice off the top of your car before driving.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:58 AM

Tailgating is dangerous and pointless.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:14 AM
Charter Member

Put your damn phone down - don't drive and talk or worse drive and text.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:26 AM

Same rules as here and in life: don't be a jerk.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:25 AM
Charter Member

Don't pull out of a driveway in front of me causing me to brake when the road behind me is empty as far as the eye can see.

Last week I had someone do the opposite - suddenly stop in front of me to let someone out of a car park when there were no cars in sight behind me. I presume he didn't have a rearview mirror.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:39 AM

The left lane is for passing.

It's astonishing to me how this one, basic, very important element of driving is ignored. Or even unknown - I've met a few people who had never heard of this. I wonder how much our driving environment would improve, and problems like tailgating start to go away, if we emphasized proper left lane usage.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Don't neglect your turn signal. You can muster up the, what, 0.002 newtons of force to move the little lever a couple of centimeters without danger of fatigue.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama Llogophile View Post

It's astonishing to me how this one, basic, very important element of driving is ignored. Or even unknown - I've met a few people who had never heard of this. I wonder how much our driving environment would improve, and problems like tailgating start to go away, if we emphasized proper left lane usage.

Which left lane? On interstate between cities? On surface streets? On multi-lane interstates in cities? Can I cruise in the next-to-left-most lane? On multi-lane surface streets-when it's rush hour, how soon is too soon to move over when I am turning left eventually?

Last edited by Manda JO; 02-10-2019 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna View Post
Don't neglect your turn signal. You can muster up the, what, 0.002 newtons of force to move the little lever a couple of centimeters without danger of fatigue.
I second this. When someone doesn't use their turn signal I get so angry I'm tempted to throw my beer at them.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

If it's raining, if it's foggy, if it's dark enough that streetlights have come on and everyone else has their headlights on, turn your lights on!

I can just imagine the thought process here: "I can see OK, I don't need to turn my lights on yet." Yes, you can see OK, because everyone else has their lights on! It's not about how well you can see, it's about whether other drivers can see you.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:

We've all met the guy who slows down so somebody else can turn into the lane or cut across...Do not, ever, under any circumstances, do this near an intersection. I constantly see people be "nice" by going through an intersection and then STOPPING so they can let people go ahead of them - and holding up a line of people who need to go through a light, and/or getting stuck in the imddle of the intersection unexpectedly.
Even worse, when the idjit ahead of you in the left lane stops just before an intersection to let an oncoming car turn left, quite possibly into the path of oncoming traffic in the right lane which he can't see because Mr. Generous is blocking his view.
Quote:
The "irritating" person might be waiting for a companion who was delayed a couple minutes in the store, or doing some small task before heading out of the lot.
What I can't stand are parking lot stalkers - drivers who follow behind me at 2 mph as I'm walking through the lot, in hopes of inheriting a parking place. If you want to waste your time, keep following on my heels; I might just remember that I need to buy something else and do an about-face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama Llogophile
Indeed it is, generally speaking. This does not mean the left lane is only for passing at 85 mph or whatever insane speed some drivers believe it is, or that said drivers are entitled to zoom up within inches of your rear bumper while you're passing at a semi-legal speed, impatient to get on with their business of becoming a flaming wreck a few miles ahead.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:24 AM

Don't stop at the end of an on-ramp.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post
Which left lane? On interstate between cities? On surface streets? On multi-lane interstates in cities? Can I cruise in the next-to-left-most lane? On multi-lane surface streets-when it's rush hour, how soon is too soon to move over when I am turning left eventually?
Taking your question in good faith, I'd say that it's a great rule of thumb that on most multi-lane roads, in normal traffic conditions, we should all make an effort to stay out of the left lane except when necessary for passing or making turns.

But before we get to codifying that suggestion for every conceivable driving scenario and exception, I think it would be great to enforce it on highways to start. I can't begin to tell you how often I see cars loitering in the left lane for no reason. They accumulate tailgaters and force people to pass on the right, which is unsafe. I see it every day. Every. Damn. Day.

I suspect one reason for this is that we mostly enforce speed violations. Some states do make an effort to enforce staying out of the passing lane, but we should emphasize this much more.

Last edited by Llama Llogophile; 02-10-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolph View Post
Don't stop at the end of an on-ramp.
Unless you're merging onto Route 2 in Fitchburg, MA, in which case please do stop and wait for a break and don't pull in front of me doing 12mph when I'm in traffic doing 60. tyvm.

Those of you who are a bit hesitant to drive the speed limit on a winding country road; perhaps you're enjoying the lovely scenery, or maybe there's a snowflake drifting gently down, please pull over when it's safe to let the fifteen cars behind you get along with their lives. tyvm.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumtrimpet View Post
Those of you who are a bit hesitant to drive the speed limit on a winding country road; perhaps you're enjoying the lovely scenery, or maybe there's a snowflake drifting gently down, please pull over when it's safe to let the fifteen cars behind you get along with their lives. tyvm.
There is a "winding country road" I drive every day that is posted 40 mph (an odd speed, 35 and 45 are way more common). I have challenged visitors to travel this road for its 2.25 miles at 40 mph; it's impossible. You can do it at 25 mph, but even that is pushing it going through one of the tight "S" bends.

Then again, I rarely see another car while driving this road.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I second this. When someone doesn't use their turn signal I get so angry I'm tempted to throw my beer at them.
It gets me irate as I take it as a gesture that they're thumbing their noses at me and others on the road. I take it personally, though I'm not sure why.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:45 PM

I agree mostly with the OP but I would phrase it as "Do not screw up right-of-way." I do not want you to wave me in front of you in order to be nice. I do not want you to do this for anyone else. You are doing the most dangerous thing you can do on the road: making traffic move in unpredictable ways. If you come to a stop and invite me to turn left in front of you, you're inviting me to get hit by the car behind you that, thinking you're either turning left without signaling or are suddenly stricken with catalepsy, swings around you. This goes double if you're driving something too big to see past.

And, "Keep right except to pass" is a good idea everywhere, even surface streets, because you never know when an emergency vehicle will show up.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
kayaker, you know you shouldn't drink and drive; you might hit a bump and spill your drink.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:27 PM

At a stop light, if the car in front of you doesn't budge when the light goes green, do not drive right up against their bumper to nudge them forward.

Actually, instead of honking, which can backfire if the dweeb in front of you takes it personally, just drive slowly forward, and they'll see you looming towards them in their rear-view mirror.
Every time, they take off like a SHOT.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:36 PM

If you are driving on the freeway with your hazard lights on you should be in the right lane. I appreciate that you might have a car problem, you might have changed a tire and be driving on a donut or you might just be uncomfortable driving in the current weather. To me, having your hazards on says that there is something wrong with your car and since you are usually going far less than the speed limit, you need to be in the right lane. Also, if traffic ahead of you is slow and there is a long exit lane coming up, do not get into that lane to try to pass a few cars on the right. I want to get off at that exit but I now have to wait for the traffic to move so that you can merge back in when I should be on my way.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
At a stop light, if the car in front of you doesn't budge when the light goes green, do not drive right up against their bumper to nudge them forward.

Actually, instead of honking, which can backfire if the dweeb in front of you takes it personally, just drive slowly forward, and they'll see you looming towards them in their rear-view mirror.
I doubt that works on the majority of stationary stragglers who are texting.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post

You know you're describing slightly different degrees of the exact same behavior, right?

The horn is designed to signal other drivers to (at least) be alert to the traffic around them. It's not an insult, it's not a threat, and it is definitely (from a safety standpoint) preferable to closing the distance to a stopped car at an intersection. Frankly, even if I were distracted at an intersection, I think I'd prefer a honk to the much more aggressive behavior you prescribe, even though you are (in your post) nice enough not to actually hit me.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
If you are driving on the freeway with your hazard lights on you should be in the right lane. I appreciate that you might have a car problem, you might have changed a tire and be driving on a donut or you might just be uncomfortable driving in the current weather. To me, having your hazards on says that there is something wrong with your car and since you are usually going far less than the speed limit, you need to be in the right lane. Also, if traffic ahead of you is slow and there is a long exit lane coming up, do not get into that lane to try to pass a few cars on the right. I want to get off at that exit but I now have to wait for the traffic to move so that you can merge back in when I should be on my way.
If your hazard lights are on, you should be pulled over in the emergency lane. There are too many different types of vehicles, some of which can drive safely in, say, sudden heavy driving rain and wind, and many more which cannot, and in fact are dangerous to and endangered by everybody else. If you cannot drive safely, DON'T DRIVE. Pull over, turn your hazards on so you don't get rear-ended, and stay off the road until there is little enough traffic for you to make it off the road or highway.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
Even texters (easy to spot with their bent-down heads) peripherally spot me in their rear-view mirror.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King of Soup View Post
You know you're describing slightly different degrees of the exact same behavior, right?

The horn is designed to signal other drivers to (at least) be alert to the traffic around them. It's not an insult, it's not a threat, and it is definitely (from a safety standpoint) preferable to closing the distance to a stopped car at an intersection. Frankly, even if I were distracted at an intersection, I think I'd prefer a honk to the much more aggressive behavior you prescribe, even though you are (in your post) nice enough not to actually hit me.
Driving forward behaviour is VASTLY more effective and non-confrontational than honking behaviour, the latter quite often eliciting bird-flipping or angry hand waves. No such reactions, at all, have arisen from my driving forward, as they promptly heed the wake up call.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:49 PM

All car horns should come with volume control levels, really. I heard that idea for the first time recently and thought, of course. A person who would get agitated by a soft honk would probably be off kilter as to be emotionally provoked if they thought someone was toying with them or violating their space by inching up behind them.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, except for the idiot who rear-ended my pickup doing that shit because she didn't grok the reason I wasn't moving (yet) was because there were two other vehicles in front of me that weren't moving yet. So she hit my truck. Of course, if she had put her fucking phone down she might have been more aware of what the hell was actually going on.

It's not that I was inattentive or whatever - it was because if I had tried to move at that point I would have rear-ended someone else. Probably the only reasons we didn't have a chain reaction accident was, first of all, there wasn't room for her to get up enough speed and, oh yeah, I was in a truck and she was in a significantly smaller vehicle.

So yeah, maybe consider there is a REASON someone isn't doing a jack-rabbit launch from a standstill sometimes.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama Llogophile View Post
Taking your question in good faith, I'd say that it's a great rule of thumb that on most multi-lane roads, in normal traffic conditions, we should all make an effort to stay out of the left lane except when necessary for passing or making turns.

But before we get to codifying that suggestion for every conceivable driving scenario and exception, I think it would be great to enforce it on highways to start. I can't begin to tell you how often I see cars loitering in the left lane for no reason. They accumulate tailgaters and force people to pass on the right, which is unsafe. I see it every day. Every. Damn. Day.

I suspect one reason for this is that we mostly enforce speed violations. Some states do make an effort to enforce staying out of the passing lane, but we should emphasize this much more.
I agree with you absolutely on travel between cities. I don't know that it's really reasonable or even meaningful advice when you are in a rush hour city traffic on a high way that's 4 or 5 lanes across: if I am going 10-12 miles in conditions like that, I often stay in the next-to-left most lane because there's less merging in and out--but it rarely traveling faster or slower than the lanes on either side.

On surface streets? I don't think it's even an ideal. In busy city traffic, waiting to get over until less than a block away means struggling to insert yourself into a crowded lane that's not moving any faster than you are, anyway, and encourages risk-taking. And if it's not crowded, it doesn't really matter, does it? There are three lanes, it's pretty easy to go around someone if they are in the left lane in preparation for a turn. Plus, city traffic just seems to move the speed it moves. You shouldn't be going much faster or slower than anyone else.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
So yeah, maybe consider there is a REASON someone isn't doing a jack-rabbit launch from a standstill sometimes.
Um, not sure if I called such a REASON into question, to begin with.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

Don't pass the snow plow.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:53 AM

I was almost T-boned due to an idiot thinking he was being 'nice'.

4 lane undivided street, I'm in the no. 1 lane (left lane, 'passing lane') driving past a grocery store. This dumbass in the right lane ahead of me brakes to slows down; I figure he's turning in to the store parking lot without signaling, no big.

Nope. He's stopping to allow someone in the parking lot to come out and turn to that person's left.

This person and I can't really see each other because Dumbass is between us. So they see Dumbass wave them on, but they don't see me. Until the cross in front of Dumbass. My (15 yo student driver) daughter hit the brakes and swerved left a bit, they stopped maybe a foot into our lane.

I figure Dumbass lets people go at 4-way stops because he can't figure out who is next, which makes it harder on everyone else stopped to figure out who is next.

ETA: In my state, using the horn for any reason other than to prevent a collision is illegal.

Last edited by sps49sd; 02-11-2019 at 01:57 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:49 AM
Charter Member

Double left turn lanes: STAY IN YOUR FUCKING LANE!!
Old 02-11-2019, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
Double left turn lanes: STAY IN YOUR FUCKING LANE!!
Same for multiple right turn lanes. And don't fucking honk at me when I'm the one turning into the correct lane.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:51 AM

You are not driving a semi. You don't have to swing left to make a right turn, nor do you have to swing right to make a left turn.

You are driving a giant SUV, Ram "tough" pickup truck, or similar small-penis compensator (which is carrying nothing more than your fat ass). You can survive driving over a manhole cover. Don't swerve to avoid it.

Last edited by Gus Gusterson; 02-11-2019 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:16 AM

I know it's just an apartment complex's lot, and I know we have a fancy British-sounding name. But this ain't England, dipshit! Here, we drive on the right! Once you swerve to the correct side of the lot, be prepared for my withering glare as we pass, for you shall receive it in abundance.

And they're just speed bumps, not stop signs. Your F150 can handle them at a little more than 2mph.

-Marcel Marceau

Last edited by Swampwolf; 02-11-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

As a pedestrian, my #1 rule is the cross walk is NOT a parking lot. Don't stop your car in the cross walk. It is there for pedestrians, not so you can can get to your destination two seconds earlier.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:

Yep. It's fine when the situation warrants it, but for god sake, if you have the right of way, don't stop and wave me through. You aren't seeing what I'm seeing.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:24 AM

The Generous Driver is especially dangerous at a rotary/roundabout/traffic circle. When you're in the circle YOU HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY! I've had people in the circle STOP to let me in. AARRGGHH! I wave them on furiously, while smiling broadly and cursing them.
“Our government may at some time be in the hands of a bad man. When in the hands of a good man it is all well enough.” But “we ought to have our government so shaped that even when in the hands of a bad man we shall be safe.” Frederick Douglass
Old 02-11-2019, 10:29 AM

The "Zipper Merge". Learn it. Love it. Use it.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
Yeah. They aren't paying attention to what's in front of them. Notably the bright green traffic light. I doubt they are going to notice someone behind them creeping up.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:

Sitting in your car in a parking lot? Fine.

Sitting in your car while parallel parked on a busy street (or any street, for that matter) with your door open to traffic? You're going to get your door taken off, at the very least, and you will very much deserve it. I can't believe people even need to be told this, but they really do.

And don't put your goddamn blinker on if you have no real intention of changing lanes or turning. It's not there for you to turn on and then think about it.

For that matter, know where the fuck you're going. Every damned exit I pass I see a half dozen assholes trying to move over 4 lanes to get off. Did they just figure out this is their exit? Or are they just cutting in line at a busy exit? Usually some of both. They're all assholes.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:06 AM

If you are in the right lane at a red light, and right turns on red are allowed, but you aren't turning but are instead trying to get in front of everyone who is going straight, you are an asshole. Especially during rush hour. You are preventing people from making their turn and forcing them to wait for the entire light just so you can be first.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
I doubt they are going to notice someone behind them creeping up.
Then you doubt incorrectly.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King of Soup View Post
I agree mostly with the OP but I would phrase it as "Do not screw up right-of-way." I do not want you to wave me in front of you in order to be nice. I do not want you to do this for anyone else. You are doing the most dangerous thing you can do on the road: making traffic move in unpredictable ways. If you come to a stop and invite me to turn left in front of you, you're inviting me to get hit by the car behind you that, thinking you're either turning left without signaling or are suddenly stricken with catalepsy, swings around you. This goes double if you're driving something too big to see past.
It's also a set-up for insurance fraud. They have right of way but wave you on, then they go forward and hit you, claiming you're at fault as they had the legal right of way when you unexpectedly pulled out in front of them.