Old 10-31-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
As long as the games are broadcast on TV, they will never appreciably shorten them. We all know the way to get sub-3 hours games is to kill all the commercial breaks.
* Shorten breaks before it kills the sport, back to 70's standards. That is at least 9 minutes per game clawed back. It will help.
* Batters have to stay in the box. No more stepping out between every pitch.
* Pitchers have to throw the ball. Get that pitch clock in, even when runners are on.
* It's drastic, but relievers having to face a minimum number of batters (or end the inning) will help the game more than it hurts it. This one is really happening I understand.
* Too much is open to review. Not sure if it really is helping the game. It kills the pace of game.
* Mound conference limitation has barely made a difference, maybe shorten the time too?
Old 10-31-2019, 10:18 AM

Verlander may be a future Hall of Fame member, but he stinks when it counts the most. In the World Series, Verlander is 0-6 with a 5.68 ERA in seven career starts. The Nationals should give him a full share for vital services rendered.

Last edited by Jasmine; 10-31-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

I fell asleep at 2-1, but was ecstatic to wake up at 3 a.m., and check my iPad to see the news the Nats beat the Astros. Been cheering them the whole time, and I will always root on the NL team (with the possible exception of rooting for the Indians, unless they're playing my Cubs. And, yes, that means I'll cheer on the Cards against any other AL team.) Plus what a great, wild Series with the home team losing every single game. Plus, I've always had a place in my heart for the Expos.
A very satisfying Series ending for me.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Congrats to Nats. The Road Warriors?

Next year, lets give people what they really want, Yanks vs. Dodgers.
Most of the people who want that are dead. Maybe you've heard this already, but the Dodgers aren't in Brooklyn anymore.

Last edited by TriPolar; 10-31-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
As long as the games are broadcast on TV, they will never appreciably shorten them. We all know the way to get sub-3 hours games is to kill all the commercial breaks.
Absolutely. This also explains playing baseball until the end of October. Both of which drive away viewers. But as long as all the commercial time is still being grabbed up, this will not change. I used to be sad when the season was over; now I'm relieved. (All the tinkering with bullshit rules also drives me nuts but that's another gripe.)
Old 10-31-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
* Shorten breaks before it kills the sport, back to 70's standards. That is at least 9 minutes per game clawed back. It will help.
* Batters have to stay in the box. No more stepping out between every pitch.
* Pitchers have to throw the ball. Get that pitch clock in, even when runners are on.
* It's drastic, but relievers having to face a minimum number of batters (or end the inning) will help the game more than it hurts it. This one is really happening I understand.
* Too much is open to review. Not sure if it really is helping the game. It kills the pace of game.
* Mound conference limitation has barely made a difference, maybe shorten the time too?
Can we now all at least agree that the Phantom Intentional Walk hasn't done a damn thing to shorten the games?

and... oh yeah....

Ladies and Gentlemen.. your World Champion Washington Nationals!
Old 10-31-2019, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I fell asleep at 2-1
I fell asleep before the Nats even scored. Been fighting off a head cold since Saturday afternoon and my body was telling me it's time to lie down.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Verlander may be a future Hall of Fame member, but he stinks when it counts the most. In the World Series, Verlander is 0-6 with a 5.68 ERA in seven career starts. The Nationals should give him a full share for vital services rendered.
This is baffling. Kershaw too. Great pitchers who fail when it counts most. It has to be mental, right?
Old 10-31-2019, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
This is baffling. Kershaw too. Great pitchers who fail when it counts most. It has to be mental, right?
Great pitchers also fail occasionally in mundane, low-stakes, middle-of-the-season games. Can we distinguish between "great pitchers who fail when it counts most" and "great pitchers who happen to have their failures in games when it counts most"?
Old 10-31-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Most of the people who want that are dead. Maybe you've heard this already, but the Dodgers aren't in Brooklyn anymore.
They are each leagues biggest draws in the 2 largest media markets. So it would help the World Series' Ratings at least. Also they have played each other as NY vs. LA 4 times now. Still well short of the 7 for NYY vs. Brooklyn. It has been 38 years now since the last WS meeting. It is time.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Great pitchers also fail occasionally in mundane, low-stakes, middle-of-the-season games. Can we distinguish between "great pitchers who fail when it counts most" and "great pitchers who happen to have their failures in games when it counts most"?
Itís the same thing.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
They are each leagues biggest draws in the 2 largest media markets. So it would help the World Series' Ratings at least.
Why should the ratings be important to us as fans and viewers? If people want to watch, great; if they don't, no skin off of my back.

Sure, baseball is a business, but it's not like it's going to go bankrupt and shut down. Worst possible result of poor ratings is a less lucrative TV contract and not-quite-so-stratospheric bidding over free agents.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Why should the ratings be important to us as fans and viewers? If people want to watch, great; if they don't, no skin off of my back.

Sure, baseball is a business, but it's not like it's going to go bankrupt and shut down. Worst possible result of poor ratings is a less lucrative TV contract and not-quite-so-stratospheric bidding over free agents.
The rating is a decent indicator that it would be a popular match. From the AL Yanks or Red Sox will draw the most fans and from the NL; Dodgers, Giants, Cards & Cubs.

Yanks vs. Dodgers has happened the most and covers the largest markets and is bi-coastal as a bonus. I think they are the 2 biggest international fan-bases. I know the Yanks are #1. Also I never expected to get into a debate over a plausible match up that was more than half joke.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:11 PM

GO NATS! This is the first time one of my teams has won a 7-game series to become champions. (I'm also a Colts fan).
Old 10-31-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
It will be when lack of ratings relegates the World Series to ESPN, or MLB Network, or the Regional Sports Networks, the way it did with the NHL for decades.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
It will be when lack of ratings relegates the World Series to ESPN, or MLB Network, or the Regional Sports Networks, the way it did with the NHL for decades.
Other than the World Series, the baseball postseason hasn't been on broadcast TV in decades. So already, all except for those 4-7 games, you've got to pay someone for the privilege of watching it.

IOW, that wouldn't be much of a change from the status quo.

Last edited by RTFirefly; 10-31-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Home team loses each and every game. First time in MLB history and I dare say never in any other sport for a 7 game series. If it happened in any other other sport I'd like to know.

Fans in these parts look at Scherzer and Verlander and think: suppose they stayed in Detroit? Don't know if any other time two future HOF pitchers have been former players for the same team.
Never. In fact, after game 6 our (Blue Jays') announcers mentioned that they had discovered that no team in MLB, NBA, or NHL had had the first 6 games of a 7 game series won by the away team. So that was a record--held for one while day--until last night.

It certainly was a strange series. FWIW, I thought that Houston was playing in zombie mode once they fell behind 3-2. Their ninth inning, in particular, was pathetic.

Here is an interesting stat. In their first 50 games of the season the Nats were 19-31. After that they won at a .6607 clip (74/112). The Astros season of 107/162 gives an average of .6605. I don't know what happened after those first 50 games, but Washington was clearly a different team and one not inferior to Houston. Go (ex)Expos!
Old 10-31-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quercus View Post
I think I disagree.

The rule says the batter is out if, because they were out of the running lane, they interfere with the fielder catching the ball. The rule also specifically says that the batter is allowed to leave the running lane to touch the base (duh, since the base is not in the running lane).

Turner ran straight to first, which from the (right-handed) batter's box put him generally on the fair side of the foul line; his foot touched the grass a couple times. The throw was from well into fair territory, so it didn't come close to Turner's path at all. The first baseman had a perfectly good look at the ball, but the throw ended up wide, and he couldn't reach past Turner who arrived at the same time as the ball. The ball hit Turner in the back of his right leg just after his foot hit first base.

Now, I was cheering for the Nats, but I still think the correct ruling is that the only potential interference happened when Turner was literally touching first base, a place where he had every right to be by rule and therefore could not commit interference. The fact that he was out of the running lane earlier had nothing to do with the potential interference and therefore is immaterial. Play should stand.
First of all it's a judgement call and the umpire didn't have to make that call. It's a bullshit call to make considering the circumstances.

I did not realize that Trea Turner was already on the bag when he touched the first baseman's mitt. I think he ran into the mitt before he touched base.

Last edited by Damuri Ajashi; 10-31-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:54 PM

Continue with the celebration, but when you're ready to move on to the off-season, there is now a thread.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:10 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf the Unwashed View Post
The Braves moved to Milwaukee in '54 (?) and won the WS in '57. Even better, the Dodgers moved to LA in '58 and won in '59.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post
While this doesn't beat the aforementioned 1959 Dodgers (how could anyone?), in the "faster than the Nats" category, the Oakland A's won the series in 1972, having moved from Kansas City in 1968.
The Nats won their first WS in their 15th year in their new city.

More rapid championships, most already mentioned:

Brooklyn/LA Dodgers: 2 years (1958 to 1959)
Boston/Milwaukee Braves: 5 years (1953 to 1957)
Kansas City/Oakland A's: 5 years (1968 to 1972)
St. Louis Browns/Baltimore Orioles: 12 years (1954 to 1966)

Longer droughts:

Washington Senators/Minnesota Twins: 27 years (1961-1987)
Milwaukee/Atlanta Braves: 30 years (1966-1995)
NY/SF Giants: 53 years (1958-2010)

The Kansas City A's never won a Series (13 years). The Washington Senators II/Texas Rangers (48 years) and Seattle Pilots/Milwaukee Brewers (50 years) are still waiting.

Last edited by Colibri; 10-31-2019 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:45 PM
Charter Jays Fan

More HOF Pitcher teammates who went on to other teams:

Lefty Grove and Waite Hoyt were briefly teammates.

Cy Young and John Clarkson both played for the Cleveland Spiders.

Christy Mathewson and Rube Marquard were teammates on the Giants; yes, Mathewson did play for another team, the Reds, albeit briefly. Then Marquard was a teammate of Burleigh Grimes on Brooklyn, and they both later moved on.

The individual champ has to be Gaylord Perry. Perry and Juan Marichal were teammates in San Francisco. Both moved on from there. Perry then played with Bert Blyleven in Texas, from where both moved on, and Perry went to San Diego and pitched with Rollie Fingers, and they both moved on, and then Perry played with Goose Gossage in New York, and they both moved on from there, and then he briefly went back to Texas and played with Fergie Jenkins, and they both moved on from there, and then he pitched with Phil Niekro in Atlanta, and they both moved on from there. Honestly, I may be missing a Perry connection or two.

Niekro, incidentally, was a teammate of Warren Spahn in his first tour of duty with the Braves, and it may surprise you to know Spahn at the end of his career pitched for the Mets and Giants so that qualifies.

I'm sure there are more but I'm doing this by hand. When Roger Clemens is finally put in the Hall of Fame he will qualify here a few times; he pitched with Roy Halladay in Toronto, and they both moved on.

What will be cool is if Andy Pettite also gets in; he and Clemens would actually count twice. They were teammates in New York, both went to Houston, and both went back to New York and were briefly teammates again.

If Curt Schilling ever gets in, and eventually I think he will once the stink of Trumpism goes away, he'll also qualify, with Randy Johnson.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post

The Kansas City A's never won a Series (13 years). The Washington Senators II/Texas Rangers (48 years) and Seattle Pilots/Milwaukee Brewers (50 years) are still waiting.
The Mariners (expansion team) haven't even lost a World Series yet. 42 years (1977 through 2019). And I'd guess they have a few years more ahead of them.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
The length of the games was ridiculous. Games by length:

Game 1 - WAS 5 HOU 4 - 3:43
Game 2 - WAS 12 HOU 3 - 4:01
Game 3 - HOU 4 WAS 1 - 4:03 (!!!!!)
Game 4 - HOU 8 WAS 1 - 3:48
Game 5 - HOU 7 WAS 1 - 3:19
Game 6 - WAS 7 HOU 2 - 3:37
Game 7 - WAS 6 HOU 2 - 3:42

4:03 to play a 4-1 game is fucking stupid. It's just stupid. That's almost as long as Game 4 in the 1993 World Series and that was the highest scoring World Series game ever played.

By way of comparison, the 2019 NBA Finals between Toronto and Golden State, which went six games, contained precisely zero games that went longer than 2:37. The 2019 Stanley Cup Finals between St. Louis and Boston, had no three hour games. Even the Super Bowl, which is an interminable slog, was 3:32, shorter than all but one World Series game and not by much. I randomly chose the 1982 World Series for the sake of comparison (St. Louis 4, Milwaukee 3) and five games were under 3 hours, and the other two just barely over.

I love baseball but 4-hour nine-inning games that only have five runs in them suck. They just suck. MLB is an entertainment product and they are now fitting the same amount of entertainment that once filled 2:40 and asking it to fill in 3.5-4 hours. That is inescapably less exciting; there is no way around it. A 4-hour 4-1 game isn't more baseball; it's exactly the same amount of baseball interspersed with 60-90 additional minutes of nothing. I want this fucking fixed. It's ridiculous.
Ways to make the game more exciting (or less boring):

Move back the pitcher's rubber back to 63.5 feet (the center of the diamond).
Use robo umpiring.
Each team has a 5 minutes timer that runs down throughout the game when the batter can be outside of the batter's box. When the timer runs down to zero, the batter is out.
The pitcher has pitch clock per pitch to avoid putting a man on base.
Allow big barrel aluminum bats with bigger sweet spots.
Any unsuccessful pick-off attempt is a ball.
Reduce the ball requirement for a walk.
Allow batters to charge the mound on any called inside pitch, but the fight must take place on the dirt part of the mound only. If either play comes off the mound, that player is ejected from the game. Any players other than the batter and the pitcher that steps on the dirt part of the mound gets ejected (but the catcher (or any other player) can try to tackle the batter before he gets to the mound at which point the batter has to re-enter the batter's box and may not charge the mound again that game unless he gets hit by the ball).
Old 10-31-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
The Mariners (expansion team) haven't even lost a World Series yet. 42 years (1977 through 2019). And I'd guess they have a few years more ahead of them.
In 2001 the Mariners won 116 regular season games, tying for most number of wins all time with the 1906 Cubs. Sadly they lost the ALCS. They havenít even been to a single postseason game since. Thatís the longest playoff drought of any team in any major US sports league. Statistically speaking, theyíre the worst US sports team.

Go Mariners!!!
Old 10-31-2019, 04:30 PM

Another reason for the games taking so long is the way hitters approach at-bats. It seems like nothing happens until the count is 3-2 and the hitter has fouled off 5 pitches. In between, the batter has made 10 circular walking tours of foul territory and the pitcher''s consulted the rosin bag for advice multiple times. More pace of play problems:

Foul balls: There were 14,000 more foul balls last season than there were 20 years ago.

Pitches per PA: The average is up to 3.93/PA, rising steadily from 3.74 20 years ago.

Pitchers per game: 4.41 up from 3.46 twenty years ago.

I couldn't find total pitches per game, but you know that's up too. Every aspect of the game is conspiring to add length.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
In 2001 the Mariners won 116 regular season games, tying for most number of wins all time with the 1906 Cubs. Sadly they lost the ALCS. They havenít even been to a single postseason game since. Thatís the longest playoff drought of any team in any major US sports league. Statistically speaking, theyíre the worst US sports team.

Go Mariners!!!
but, but, we're "rebuilding." Things are looking up.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:58 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
I was only counting teams that have moved. For teams that stayed in the same city, the Mariners are now tied (with the Astros) for the longest a team has gone from its foundation until its first series appearance. They just recently passed the St. Louis Browns, who went 41 years from the beginning of the World Series until their first pennant.

The Expos/Nationals (50 years) and Senators II/Rangers (49 years) went longer from their foundation until their first pennant but moved cities.

The longest a team has gone before winning its first Series is 77 years, for the Philadelphia Phillies.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Itís funny, theyíve been ďmehĒ for years and I keep saying they need to do what the Astros did and commit to a rebuild, starting with getting real prospects for the future.

Theyíre doing that now and Iím skeptical it will work. Itís because Iím a cynical asshole.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Another reason for the games taking so long is the way hitters approach at-bats. It seems like nothing happens until the count is 3-2 and the hitter has fouled off 5 pitches. In between, the batter has made 10 circular walking tours of foul territory and the pitcher''s consulted the rosin bag for advice multiple times. More pace of play problems:

Foul balls: There were 14,000 more foul balls last season than there were 20 years ago.

Pitches per PA: The average is up to 3.93/PA, rising steadily from 3.74 20 years ago.

Pitchers per game: 4.41 up from 3.46 twenty years ago.

I couldn't find total pitches per game, but you know that's up too. Every aspect of the game is conspiring to add length.
If you can find the average number of plate appearances per game, you can multiply it by pitches per PA to get the average number of pitches per game.

If, for instance, average PAs per side per game was constant at 40, then you'd get 15.2 more pitches per game now than 20 years ago.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
The Washington Senators II/Texas Rangers (48 years) [snip] are still waiting.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:29 PM

One more post about the Nats victory before this thread fades away...
Charlie Slowes is the Nationals radio announcer, he has been doing this since day 1 in 2005.
He is very professional, low-key, and precise.
Here is his call for the last out of the Series.... Enjoy!

https://secure-web.cisco.com/1OWcJtx...ing-radio-call
Old 11-01-2019, 03:40 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
I honestly wonder how fast a turnaround is reasonably likely; what's the quickest you can do this? The Mariners are a genuinely very bad team and don't have any Juan Soto superprospects I'm aware of. They went 68-84 and they deserved to.

I don't think they could win the World Series next year, could they? Nothing's impossible but it seems super unlikely. Could they win it in 2021?

Of cpourse, the 1991 Braves went from worst to one hit from the World Series championship, and they were quite bad in 1990. The Twins that same year actually did go from worst to the title, but they weren't really as bad.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I honestly wonder how fast a turnaround is reasonably likely; what's the quickest you can do this? The Mariners are a genuinely very bad team and don't have any Juan Soto superprospects I'm aware of. They went 68-84 and they deserved to.

I don't think they could win the World Series next year, could they? Nothing's impossible but it seems super unlikely. Could they win it in 2021?

Of cpourse, the 1991 Braves went from worst to one hit from the World Series championship, and they were quite bad in 1990. The Twins that same year actually did go from worst to the title, but they weren't really as bad.
The Braves might have been 'bad' statistically in 1990, but they were clearly developing their young aces by that point. I grew up watching Braves baseball in the late 80s, early 90s and remember Smoltz, Glavine, and Avery. I think they had David Justice by that point. Others like Jeff Treadway, Otis Nixon, and Jeff Blauser - not great but part of the Dream Season of '91. IIRC, they were already developing from bad to a potential contender. Then the acquisitions: Terry Pendleton, Lonnie Smith, and Sid Bream in 1991.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTrouts View Post
Charlie Slowes is the Nationals radio announcer, he has been doing this since day 1 in 2005.

That was awesome!
Old 11-02-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
That was awesome!
I listened to the radio instead of watching it so that I'd be hearing Charlie Slowes and Dave Jaegler instead of Buck and Smoltz. I preferred finding out what happened from Charlie to seeing it on tv with my own eyes.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTrouts View Post

How does Joe Buck still have a job with guys like this out there?
Old 11-03-2019, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The length of the games was ridiculous. Games by length:

Game 1 - WAS 5 HOU 4 - 3:43
Game 2 - WAS 12 HOU 3 - 4:01
Game 3 - HOU 4 WAS 1 - 4:03 (!!!!!)
Game 4 - HOU 8 WAS 1 - 3:48
Game 5 - HOU 7 WAS 1 - 3:19
Game 6 - WAS 7 HOU 2 - 3:37
Game 7 - WAS 6 HOU 2 - 3:42

4:03 to play a 4-1 game is fucking stupid. It's just stupid.
Have you seen this article that breaks down why that game was so long? Why did those World Series games last so long?
The TL;DR:
Quote:
From MLB's perspective, we can break this time into three segments:

1. Commercials (17 extra minutes)

2. The type of game that happened to be played (around 27 extra minutes)

3. Postseason-specific dawdling (around 24 extra minutes)
Old 11-03-2019, 03:10 PM

4:03 did seem long for a 4-1 ballgame, but looking under the hood revealed 10 pitchers used and 22 runners stranded on the bases. Four hours of ball-scratching and frustration.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:12 PM

My sons and I have been going to Nats games since the beginning, when they were 7 and 5. The youngest is in college 6 hours away, so he wasn't physically present for the "October Miracle". The oldest is in school nearby, so he was. This team even made my wife a fan.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:29 AM

Walt Kelly, creator of gthe comic strip Pogo, predicted the Nationals' WS victory 60 years ago.

Kelly's character Seminole Sam, a fox who is also a con man, had a flock of gnats which he'd trained to spell out words and phrases above the heads of other characters. In 1959 Kelly did a sequence where the gnats narrated the success of the Washington Senators, then sometimes known as the Nats (only Kelly wrote the name as Gnats). The (G)nats beat out Detroit to win the AL pennant, then defeated the Cardinals to win the Series.

Here's one of the strips, the only one I could find online from that sequence unfortunately:

https://www.galerielaqua.de/galeriel...PogoD61559.jpg

The strips were collected in one of the books, but I don't recall which one.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:01 AM

I didn't expect a lot of love for baseball/sumo hybrid rules to keep the game more interesting.
But I thought more people would jump on robo umpiring, moving the pitching rubber and pitch clocks, limits on time spent outside the batter's box.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:54 AM

Robo-umpiring began testing last season in the Atlantic league and will be implemented in more minor league parks next year. It's coming, the only question is when. As for moving the pitching rubber back, to what end? More home runs? No thanks.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:33 AM

Looks like Sir Didi has played his last game for the Yankees. I can see where the Yanks don't need him, with Lemahieu, Urshela, Torres, and perhaps a returning Andujar the infield is set except for first. At first you have Bird, Ford, and Voit all vying for time.

Encarnacion is likely gone, again barring injuries there is more than enough depth at DH/OF not to really miss him.

Chapman will be back, but I still have misgivings. He has lost some speed on the fastball and needs to be more of a pitcher than a thrower.

Of course, starting pitching is the issue as it is every year, will it be addressed for once this year?
Old 11-07-2019, 04:03 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
The Braves might have been 'bad' statistically in 1990, but they were clearly developing their young aces by that point. I grew up watching Braves baseball in the late 80s, early 90s and remember Smoltz, Glavine, and Avery. I think they had David Justice by that point. Others like Jeff Treadway, Otis Nixon, and Jeff Blauser - not great but part of the Dream Season of '91. IIRC, they were already developing from bad to a potential contender. Then the acquisitions: Terry Pendleton, Lonnie Smith, and Sid Bream in 1991.
Oh I agree they had a fine young core; it's still impressive as hell they got good that fast, though.

Lonnie Smith was not acquired in 1991; he'd been with the team three years already.

The acquisition of Terry Pendleton was one of the best free agent signings in recent baseball history. Other huge free agents have been signed and won MVP Awards or Cy Youngs, including Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens, but the Braves got Pendelton for a good price; he actually made less in 1991 than he had in 1990. He'd had a shit year in 1990, but the Braves saw something, got him, and got an MVP award out of him and a hell of a year in 1992, too.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:00 PM

I'm surprised they only won one World Series, when they had an excellent team. Very strong. I will always remember, very painfully, 1993 when the SF Giants won 103 games but could not win the last game that season. They were tied with the Braves going to the final day, but the Braves won their game to finish with 104 wins.

The painful mantra I carry is "103 in '93 -- not enough to win it".

And of course, the next year is when MLB implemented the Wild Cards. (sigh)
Old 11-08-2019, 08:36 AM
Charter Jays Fan

It'll be interesting to see if Toronto splurge for a starter on the free agent market. The team was very bad this year but

1. Has an excellent core of young hitters under cheap control for years,

2. Has even less starting pitching than most bad teams do,

3. Has cleared off most of the bad payroll and is set to be incredibly cheap in 2020, and

4. Is still in a big, rich market.

The team absolutely COULD blow the doors off and pay for Gerrit Cole. Indeed, they could hire both Cole and Steven Strasburg and still be a midrange payroll team for the next two or three years. They have an enormous amount of payroll room.

A more intractable problem is the team's outfield; while the infield is loaded with fine young players, the outfield is stunningly mediocre and there is nothing promising there at all unless Lourdes Gurriel keeps playing left field. The FA market in outfielders is distinctly lacking this year.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:52 AM

You make a good case for improving their pitching staff. I'd prefer that over building on the outfield -- a batter's got to hit the ball first, before it makes its way to the outfield.

We were there the other week. Toronto is a nice city. https://imgur.com/gallery/gtLYWNn
Old 11-08-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Robo-umpiring began testing last season in the Atlantic league and will be implemented in more minor league parks next year. It's coming, the only question is when. As for moving the pitching rubber back, to what end? More home runs? No thanks.
You know that home runs (and hits generally) are less boring than pitcher's duels, right?