Old 11-30-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
I'm rarely one to say this sort of thing, but...don't watch the movie unless you are an obsessive completionist. IMHO it just really, really isn't good. One might even say bad . No Mandy Patinkin and for some insane reason they recast Laura Harris as Daisy Adair instead of just replacing her character. The storyline isn't that exciting either.
Good to know. If only someone had gave me this same advice before I saw Aliens 3: FU Aliens Fans.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarinth View Post
Peep Show (where you learn how much range Olivia Coleman has) and Always Sunny are funny as anything - but I'm not sure I'd call them "quirky."
Really?!?!?! I guess we have quite different definitions of "quirky." I mean, if It's Always Sunny is not "quirky," I don't know what is.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
I'll note that Pushing Daisies was originally developed by Bryan Fuller as a spin-off to Dead Like Me (which was also created by Fuller). However, by the time Pushing Daisies made it to air, there was no direct connection between the two series (other than both being quirky comedies about death).

Also, Dead Like Me actually had two seasons, plus a direct-to-DVD movie made a few years later.
For what it's worth, I liked Pushing Daises a lot more. I've watched the series a few times, but with Dead Like Me, I only got through a few episodes and kinda forgot about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post
Can’t believe no-one has suggested Father Ted.
Post 24

Another good one would be Firefly.

Someone upthread mentioned Six Feet Under. In that same vein of darker, but quirky, shows. I'll recommend Twin Peaks.

And, while I'm here, and because I'm in the middle of watching it again, I'll re-recommend Better Off Ted.

And, I know you didn't want sitcoms, but I'm still going to mention How I Met Your Mother and second Brooklyn 99.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:55 PM

It only ran 13 episodes, but try Selfie (on Hulu), starring Karen (Avengers) Gillan and John (Star Trek reboot) Cho. It was really hitting its stride when it was yanked off the network; bad time slot, IIRC.

Last edited by burpo the wonder mutt; 11-30-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:10 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
For what it's worth, I liked Pushing Daises a lot more. I've watched the series a few times, but with Dead Like Me, I only got through a few episodes and kinda forgot about it.
I agree with you. I saw a few episodes of Dead Like Me, and I liked it, but never really got into it. Pushing Daisies, OTOH, is still one of my all-time favorite TV series.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:26 PM

I recommend Nurse Jackie starring Edie Falco as a nurse with an addiction problem on the side. Also, the United States of Tara starring Toni Colette and John Corbett about a woman with multiple personalities and the family that loves her. And Rescue Me starring Denis Leary is about the quirkiest damn dramedy about firefighters in New York following 9/11 ever made. And there’s seven seasons. Most recently I’ve discovered Atypical with Keir Gilchrist about a boy with autism and his family. Three seasons, available on Netflix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2019, 11:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
I agree with you. I saw a few episodes of Dead Like Me, and I liked it, but never really got into it. Pushing Daisies, OTOH, is still one of my all-time favorite TV series.
And, while it's more or less moot at this point. The difference between watching it on an SD TV with DVDs to an HD tv with Blu-Rays was huge. The show is so heavily visual that I'd tell people that didn't have a blu-ray player to wait until they got one. Not that not having the ability to see all the visual details didn't take anything away, but being able to see them added so much. Scenes like this and this just make a world of difference when you can appreciate the detail in all it's high-def glory. Even ignoring that someone dreamed up these sets, they clearly spent a lot of time building them as well.

Fun fact: Anna Friel (Chuck) is one of those actors that if you didn't know she was English, you'd never guess it. I can't recall her ever even slipping with her American accent. It seems a lot of actors, even if they do a good job, you can still hear their accent sneak through during scenes where they're emotional or yelling. Here's a clip of her normal speaking voice. I hesitate to put anyone on the same level as Hugh Laurie, but she does a bloody good job.

Another show to check out is Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. I know I didn't watch the entire series, but the first 2 or 3 seasons are really, really good.

And speaking of Jane Krakowski, lets not forget Ally McBeal. It's still a very good show, but when I started to rewatch it a few months ago, it's feels pretty dated, or rather, it feels very '90's', for lack of a better way to describe it.

Last edited by Joey P; 11-30-2019 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Really?!?!?! I guess we have quite different definitions of "quirky." I mean, if It's Always Sunny is not "quirky," I don't know what is.
To me, quirky has lightness and whimsy. Again - Always Sunny is funny. But it's way too dark to be hit "quirky" for me, and it doesn't feel like it's on the same wavelength as the OP's shows. (It is very tonally different than Parks & Rec.)

I left out "Jane the Virgin" & "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" - which you might like. Both of them have a genre and a structure and they're faithful to that (telenovela and musical respectively) and if you deeply hate those genres, you probably won't like them. But if you like (or are at least open to trying) those, you might like them. The characters are real, but quirky, and they're consistently well written and acted.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:58 PM

Just remembered the best funniest and weirdest show I ever saw: The League of Gentlemen was like a sci fi comedy mash up. Genius stuff from some troupe in the UK.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:00 PM

It seems to me 'quirky' is very hit or miss. There don't seem to be a lot of quirky shows, maybe they are something that can't be written as such. Maybe they reveal themselves to be quirky upon watching. Like 'cult movies' - I don't think you can set out to make a 'cult movie', it just catches the imagination of viewers and interest spreads by word of mouth .

Last edited by salinqmind; 12-01-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarinth View Post
To me, quirky has lightness and whimsy. Again - Always Sunny is funny. But it's way too dark to be hit "quirky" for me, and it doesn't feel like it's on the same wavelength as the OP's shows. (It is very tonally different than Parks & Rec.)
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I can see that.

Quote:
I left out "Jane the Virgin" & "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" - which you might like. Both of them have a genre and a structure and they're faithful to that (telenovela and musical respectively) and if you deeply hate those genres, you probably won't like them. But if you like (or are at least open to trying) those, you might like them. The characters are real, but quirky, and they're consistently well written and acted.
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is another one of my favorites. Definitely second.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Thanks for the info. I think I've seen all the the episodes but for sure didn't see the movie.
Don’t bother with the movie. It only sullies the really good show.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigene View Post
Daughter and I have taken to binging TV shows and drinking coffee together.
We liked and finished:
Parks and Recreation
Ah, so you like workplace comedies satirizing bureaucracy and featuring a character with oddball political views…
Quote:
Corner Gas
Ah, so you like comedies set in gas stations in northerly countries…

Well, then, I have just the thing for you: Nćturvaktin is an Icelandic sitcom about a dictatorial, overeducated gas station night shift manager in Reykjavík; his meek, dimwitted, and perpetually resentful assistant; and their trainee, a young man who has run away from medical school in defiance of his father. Can't get more quirky than that, and the series is one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. Not a mockumentary, but filmed in a sort of cinéma vérité style with handheld cameras, no laugh track, and character-driven humour that doesn't depend on a constant string of snappy dialogue and zingers.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

I'm Sorry
Old 12-01-2019, 04:50 PM

Fishing with John.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:58 PM

Scrubs.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:48 PM

Father Ted, but no The IT Crowd?
Old 12-01-2019, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonexandScout View Post
Father Ted, but no The IT Crowd?
Post 28
Old 12-01-2019, 06:06 PM

There's an animated teen comedy that's now on You Tube called "O'Grady." It did not get the popularity it deserved, probably because it was on IIRC the Cartoon Network, and really belonged on Adult Swim. It features 4 teenagers from O'Grady High School who have to deal with "the weirdness", the nature of which varies from episode to episode. There is no drug or overt sexual content, although one of the boys obviously has the hots for one of the girls, to which she is completely oblivious, and the theme song is performed by Kelly Osbourne.

The first season is far and away better than the second season. Enjoy!
Old 12-01-2019, 08:47 PM

"The Tick: The Original Series".

FTR, "Parks and Recreation" doesn't really get going until season three.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:32 PM

Catastrophe

Getting On
Old 12-02-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigene View Post
Daughter and I have taken to binging TV shows and drinking coffee together.
We liked and finished:
Psych
Parks and Recreation
Santa Clarita Diet
Corner Gas

While quirky comedy; We tried but just couldn't get into:
Arrested Development
Schitt's Creek

probably because there was too much pathos

We are now looking for something else that fits the first group, but not the second.
We aren't looking for situation comedies filmed before a live studio audience complete with fake laugh track. If you are familiar with the group we like, you will have an idea of what we are looking for.

any suggestions?
During a hospital stay I discovered a quirky family comedy called "The Middle". I very much enjoyed it and found that it ran for 9 seasons on ABC.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimfromNapa View Post
During a hospital stay I discovered a quirky family comedy called "The Middle". I very much enjoyed it and found that it ran for 9 seasons on ABC.
Totally forgot, "The Middle." Yes, highly recommended. Sue Heck is adorable.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimfromNapa View Post
I've seen one or two episodes, and I don't know if it's the name, but it reminded me of Malcolm In The Middle.

Has Workaholics come up yet?
Old 12-02-2019, 07:33 PM

Well, I guess there is some debate on what is the proper "quirkiness." What I'm going to recommend is in my opinion quirky to the max. It may be a bit unusual for a father/daughter bonding time but if you are looking for quirky and (IMHO) hilarious and can laugh through awkward situations then I highly recommend Shameless.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamel...can_TV_series)
Old 12-02-2019, 09:32 PM

I'm surprised not to see a mention of NewsRadio.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:37 PM

"Spaced" a hilarious British show starring the Shawn of the Dead/Hot Fuzz crew before they were big movie stars. Sadly, only 14 episodes.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:17 AM

Some of these I'd say is too quirky (It's always sunny in Philadephia) or perhaps too clever (30 Rock). Solid watch and enjoy sitcom: How I met your mother. It fades near the end, and is almost a parody of itself, but it is very very solid, and I'm not sure if they ever told the story of the Goat.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:16 AM

Oh, another one: The Middleman.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:45 PM

Andy Richter Controls the Universe. It was criminal that this only got two seasons.

My Name is Earl

Also second Father Ted and Spaced.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:16 AM

You might like Eureka.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:11 AM

Another vote for "The Good Place" and I'll add the British (I think) TV show "Coupling."

Also, currently in it's second season on ABC, "Single Parents." Wife and I find this show to be hilarious, and the twin daughters should get their own spinoff.

Come to think of it, have you watched Modern Family? The first few seasons are hysterical.

And if you don't mind your comedy a bit on the raunchy side, there's always my favorite show of all time - ARCHER.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:34 AM

Peep Show
The End of the Fucking World - plenty of pathos, but quirky enough you might see past it.
Living With Yourself
The IT Crowd
Old 12-05-2019, 11:52 AM

The only one I can think of that hasn't already been mentioned (y'all have good taste) is Northern Exposure. It's not always a comedy, but it's sure as hell quirky.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SykoSkotty View Post
Another vote for "The Good Place" and I'll add the British (I think) TV show "Coupling."

Also, currently in it's second season on ABC, "Single Parents." Wife and I find this show to be hilarious, and the twin daughters should get their own spinoff.

Come to think of it, have you watched Modern Family? The first few seasons are hysterical.

And if you don't mind your comedy a bit on the raunchy side, there's always my favorite show of all time - ARCHER.
There was also an American version of Coupling. Avoid that one at all costs.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:03 PM

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, on Amazon Prime
Old 12-05-2019, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

And if you want to go retro, [i]Soap[/] still kills me every time (well, except for that oddball last season.)
Old 12-05-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
The Good Place, for sure.

You must begin with Season 1, Episode 1 and proceed in an orderly fashion.
+1 on this.

News Radio - not sure if it is streaming anywhere.
Barry is certainly quirky but also very dark.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:18 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBeans View Post
The only one I can think of that hasn't already been mentioned (y'all have good taste) is Northern Exposure. It's not always a comedy, but it's sure as hell quirky.
Good call; quirky, for sure.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:27 PM

If you're willing to spend a little bit of money, You, Me, and the Apocalypse is a funny mini-series. If you're not willing to spend the money, there may be other ways to watch it (nudge nudge wink wink).
Old 12-05-2019, 01:51 PM

Another vote for Scrubs They did one episode where part of it was filmed using a standard three-camera, laugh track sitcom setup and you can see how unlike the traditional sitcom the other episodes are.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:44 PM

Better Off Ted (A+)

Atypical (Netflix, A) - Might seem a little sweet but it's not really. Very irreverent in many ways.

I second:
The B in Apt 23. I loved that one.
The F*cking End of the World.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:04 PM

The Mighty Boosh

Black Books

If you appreciate Brit humor.
Old 12-07-2019, 12:45 PM

Newsradio. It's dated, but hilarious and quirky.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbreed View Post
You might like Eureka.
+1000

Exactly what I came here for.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

A short lived, extremely underrated comedy, that should have lasted quite a bit longer..Life in Pieces.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, on Amazon Prime

Seconding this. It’s fantastic.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
A short lived, extremely underrated comedy, that should have lasted quite a bit longer..Life in Pieces.
It's been cancelled?
Old 12-07-2019, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
It's been cancelled?
Yeah, the most recent season (the one with Joey King who also happens to be Clementine's IRL sister) was the last one.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:34 AM

Quote:

Agreed. There’s a few seasons to choose from and lots of episodes each season.