Old 08-29-2019, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
To clarify (and this is important):
I truly do not understand the point of this. It's directed at naturalized citizens only (like Don's grandpa ) and the impact in numbers is small (which does not excuse the heinousness of it!). But who is this PR move aimed at? Who is it supposed to appeal to? Is this something his base is going to lap up? It seems to be part of his overall war on anyone NOT born in the United States who has the audacity to act like they have citizenship rights.

It will make people scream that he’s taking citizenship away from the troops’ children, and then Faux News will report how it’s a narrow case that only applies to <100 people a year whose parents were Not Born Real Americans to begin with, then the Base will cheer heartily at how the libs were so easily triggered into overreacting.

And if it discourages people who were Not Born Real Americans from serving in military or foreign-service jobs, hey, “winning!”
Old 08-29-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
That actually is reasonably clever. I wonder who wrote it for him. (Note the absence of spelling and punctuation errors.)
He did end it with a preposition.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:15 PM

Prepositions are perfectly good words to end sentences with.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:25 PM

Oh hell, could anyone use a Randy Rainbow break?
Cheeto Christ Stupid Czar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW2SEpWWqXM

(Cheeto christ, Cheeto christ; He's like if Jesus were pumpkin spiced.)
Old 08-29-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
To clarify (and this is important):
I truly do not understand the point of this. It's directed at naturalized citizens only (like Don's grandpa ) and the impact in numbers is small (which does not excuse the heinousness of it!). But who is this PR move aimed at? Who is it supposed to appeal to? Is this something his base is going to lap up? It seems to be part of his overall war on anyone NOT born in the United States who has the audacity to act like they have citizenship rights.
He's trying to retroactively deny citizenship to Senator John McCain.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
No WORDS in all caps? Yeah, whatever. Guess I'll have to rethink my understanding of the word "epic".
I think LAZombie should probably rethink his.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Oh hell, could anyone use a Randy Rainbow break?
Oh yes thank you.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
... I truly do not understand the point of this. It's directed at naturalized citizens only (like Don's grandpa ) and the impact in numbers is small (which does not excuse the heinousness of it!). But who is this PR move aimed at? Who is it supposed to appeal to? ....
It's supposed to keep people from following up on that 'Donald told people he'd pardon them if they broke any laws in the process of making his Wall happen' story.

Because if there's good evidence that he did, even his GOP protectors might have trouble going on with the protectin'.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:09 PM

The Trump Administration Now Wants to Deport Children With Cancer

The administration quietly eliminated a program that allowed severely ill undocumented immigrants and their families to remain in the United States for medical care

Quote:
In August alone, the Trump administration laid out plans to make it more difficult for legal immigrants to use social services, eliminate limits on how long families can be detained at the border, and stop providing flu vaccines to migrants held in border detention facilities. The administration was proud enough of these efforts to announce them publicly, but there was one move so despicable that they apparently felt it would be best to roll it out quietly.

But there was one move so ugly that the Trump administration, apparently, felt it would be best to roll it out quietly. On August 7th, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) quietly eliminated a medical deferred action program that allowed severely ill undocumented immigrants and their families to remain in the United States to receive potentially lifesaving treatment. The decision to axe the policy was not announced publicly. Instead, families with pending applications were notified through letters from immigration officials informing them they have 33 days to leave the country or risk facing deportation. USCIS confirmed this week that it was ending the program.

“This is a new low,” Sen. Ed Markey (D-Mass.) told the Associated Press, which reported the policy change on Sunday along with Boston’s NPR affiliate, WBUR. “Donald Trump is literally deporting kids with cancer.”

Cancer is only one of the conditions for which an undocumented immigrant or their family typically request deferred action. Others include HIV, cerebral palsy, leukemia, muscular dystrophy, and epilepsy. The USCIS has said that is receives around 1,000 deferred action requests per year.
Well, we know the Statue of Liberty poem was discarded long ago. I can just picture Stephen Miller tapping his fingertips together and saying "Excellent!"

Last edited by dasmoocher; 08-29-2019 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:22 PM

Trump has cancelled his trip to Poland to observe the 80th anniversary of the start of WWII, so he can stay home and monitor Hurricane Dorian.

The first time he's shown any interest in natural disasters -- the fact that it's bearing down on his property is purely a coincidence.

And of course he could "monitor" just as easily from Poland.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Trump has cancelled his trip to Poland to observe the 80th anniversary of the start of WWII, so he can stay home and monitor Hurricane Dorian.

The first time he's shown any interest in natural disasters -- the fact that it's bearing down on his property is purely a coincidence.

Trump supposedly doesn't like to travel internationally unless the host country throws him a big gala. He didn't want to go to the G-7 meeting to actually work with other world leaders and I'm sure has no interest in going to Poland. He's probably a fan of the Nazi invasion of Poland--"greatest use of blitzkrieg in history!"

It would be poetic justice if his properties got hammered, though.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

If Mar-a-Lago does get hammered, he'll be in a no-win situation if Floridians, especially Puertoriquenos, are not already energized against him (I assume those who vote vote against him already, but some might not bother yet.)

If he pours money into Florida, the contrast between helping his own property recover versus the forthright unwillingness to do so for Puerto Rico will be unavoidable. But if he doesn't provide a lot of relief for Florida, then he'll be ignoring Florida.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

Florida gets the extra-absorbent double-ply paper towels.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

<checks>

Yep, fucker's still breathing. I keep hoping he'll stroke out while twittering madly from his golden throne, but, as in everything else, he remains a disappointment.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
It's supposed to keep people from following up on that 'Donald told people he'd pardon them if they broke any laws in the process of making his Wall happen' story.

Because if there's good evidence that he did, even his GOP protectors might have trouble going on with the protectin'.
Nah, those GOP who didn't want to ride his train already left. The ones remaining sold their souls to BeelzeTrump and rubber stamp everything he wants.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
This whole issue reminds me of a XKCD what if scenario. These usually end in absolute disaster, often including the destruction of the planet.
I think Munroe mentions it in the What-If book (which I don't have to hand). IIRC he says it's one of his most-received questions and he basically just quotes the same NOAA website and text cited earlier in this thread.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post
The Trump Administration Now Wants to Deport Children With Cancer

The administration quietly eliminated a program that allowed severely ill undocumented immigrants and their families to remain in the United States for medical care

Well, we know the Statue of Liberty poem was discarded long ago. I can just picture Stephen Miller tapping his fingertips together and saying "Excellent!"
it is even worse. the letter went to people who are in the country legally on medical grounds. the us has always brought children in for medical issues that can not be address in the child's home country. it appears that the administration is trying to end it.

one woman was sent the letter in California, she was invited into a study when she was 7 by a hospital researching her genetic issue. she is 24 now and receives a bi weekly treatment to stay alive. she is the reason this treatment is available. her doctors are very upset. she will die within months with out the treatment.

get ready for this to get a bigger hit in the news when congress returns.

and this is the prolife party...
Old 08-30-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:

I don't really care when he goes golfing (the more time he spends golfing, the less time he has for fucking shit up), but I really hope he goes this weekend!
Old 08-30-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocking chair View Post
...and this is the prolife party...
That's just a Republican bumper sticker. They don't actually practice it. It's like "budget deficit bad" or "freedom of religion". Try building a mosque in a Republican stronghold and you'll see how seriously they believe it.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
it is even worse. the letter went to people who are in the country legally on medical grounds. the us has always brought children in for medical issues that can not be address in the child's home country. it appears that the administration is trying to end it.

one woman was sent the letter in California, she was invited into a study when she was 7 by a hospital researching her genetic issue. she is 24 now and receives a bi weekly treatment to stay alive. she is the reason this treatment is available. her doctors are very upset. she will die within months with out the treatment.

My emphasis.

No it's the pro-fetus party. Once the baby is born, they don't give a crap what happens to it.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:53 AM
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member

Quote:

It looks, at least on the surface, that the malAdministration expected this to fly under the radar: I mean, there aren't all that many of them, and they're mostly brown, amirite?

And when it did see the light of day, the response from Citizenship & Immigration would have been humorous if the consequences weren't so tragic. "What, didn't you read the letter? The program isn't ending, per se, not really, no, it's being taken over by another agency. The other agency? Umm err ICE! Yeah, ICE! You need to apply to them!" And the (predictable) response from ICE: "WTF? CIS hasn't told us a damn thing, we have no such program in place and no plan to establish one." (Apparently the two agencies didn't even have a meeting on the subject until after the story broke about the first letters in Boston. At that meeting ICE punted the ball right back to CIS.)

I was brought up to think that clowns were supposed to be funny. After watching this crew I'm beginning to understand why some children are scared to death of them.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Should have mentioned that the letters said nothing about the program being taken over by another agency, or about any appeal process. Just "leave by 33 days after the date of this letter or we'll haul you before an immigration court and toss you out." And it seems that some recipients didn't even get the letters until halfway through the "grace" period.

Massachusetts Senator Edward Markey, at a news conference:
Quote:
We have gathered many times in the last two and a half years since Donald Trump was inaugurated many times, these same groups have come together. We have now reached the bottom though the most inhumane of all of Donald Trump's policies are the ones we are here to speak about today.
(Emphasis added.)

Senator, please don't tempt them.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoDaFe View Post
Massachusetts Senator Edward Markey, at a news conference:
Quote:
We have gathered many times in the last two and a half years since Donald Trump was inaugurated — many times, these same groups have come together. We have now reached the bottom though — the most inhumane of all of Donald Trump's policies are the ones we are here to speak about today.
(Emphasis added.)

Senator, please don't tempt them.…
I remember during Trump's campaign/early presidency John Oliver on his show would say ~"Remember last week when we thought we hit rock bottom? That's way up there now. Above the clouds.", and he would point up to the ceiling. IIRC, he did this on a few shows.

John Oliver / Last Week Tonight - Rock Bottom

John Oliver Rock bottom - II

Last edited by dasmoocher; 08-30-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:07 AM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
If he pours money into Florida, the contrast between helping his own property recover versus the forthright unwillingness to do so for Puerto Rico will be unavoidable.
Since when has Trump cared if he looks like he is motivated only by self interest? That's not a bug, it's a feature.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:12 AM
BANNED

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/statu...20735415103491

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/28/p...ies/index.html

Aides admitted that Trump lied about cutting a deal with China explicitly to give the stock market a boost.

Quote:
Still, Trump flashed signs of optimism this week that the trade war could be resolved, saying he's received calls from Chinese officials saying they wanted to restart talks. Though Trump and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin insisted there had been "communication," aides privately conceded the phone calls Trump described didn't happen they way he said they did.
Instead, two officials said Trump was eager to project optimism that might boost markets, and conflated comments from China's vice premier with direct communication from the Chinese.
The charged language coming out of the White House in recent weeks largely boils down to this, people say: The economy is flashing warning signs Trump didn't expect, his trade war with China is dragging on months longer than expected yet he refuses to give in and his chief promise to supporters -- that he would build a wall along the southern border -- has gone unfulfilled.
Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's kind of... illegal?
Old 08-30-2019, 10:19 AM

Republicans have a response to that. it's not a yes or no, however; it's a question. "Why do you hate America?" (Cue Lee Greenwood.)
Old 08-30-2019, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...The administration quietly eliminated a program that allowed severely ill undocumented immigrants and their families to remain in the United States for medical care..

This inter-agency disconnect. Gotten to the point you can't tell if its a plain old incompetent fuck up or a deliberate strategy to leave the victims with no authority to appeal to. Standard human decency has left the building.

There is only this: I think they will back down, they'll make up some shit about somebody screwed up, they had no such intention, yadda-blah, yadda-blah. Hell, I'll even pretend to believe them, just so long as this horror does not go forward.

I have known and argued with honest conservatives, no fucking way they would put up with this shit. Evangelicals, even funda-Mentals know better. "Suffer the children to come unto me" doesn't mean hurrying them on the way to the Pearly Gated Community. Heaven can wait.

Sometimes, it seems as though my sarcasm might be seen as making light of the situation. There is no light in this situation. This is my country doing this, my government, my dime. However small my share of responsibility may be, its not small enough. Yes, I'm joking. Its either that or set the autopilot on "scream" and bail out.

Last edited by elucidator; 08-30-2019 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Cogito ergo duh
Old 08-30-2019, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was brought up to think that clowns were supposed to be funny.
We need to get a new party of clowns like Bozo and Clarabelle and Ronald McDonald to replace the Republican party of clowns like Pennywise and Sideshow Bob and the Joker.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post

This inter-agency disconnect. Gotten to the point you can't tell if its a plain old incompetent fuck up or a deliberate strategy to leave the victims with no authority to appeal to. Standard human decency has left the building.

There is only this: I think they will back down, they'll make up some shit about somebody screwed up, they had no such intention, yadda-blah, yadda-blah. Hell, I'll even pretend to believe them, just so long as this horror does not go forward.

I have known and argued with honest conservatives, no fucking way they would put up with this shit. Evangelicals, even funda-Mentals know better. "Suffer the children to come unto me" doesn't mean hurrying them on the way to the Pearly Gated Community. Heaven can wait.

Sometimes, it seems as though my sarcasm might be seen as making light of the situation. There is no light in this situation. This is my country doing this, my government, my dime. However small my share of responsibility may be, its not small enough. Yes, I'm joking. Its either that or set the autopilot on "scream" and bail out.
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Obama: "When they go low, we go high!"
Republicans: "We can always go lower."

There is literally no bottom with these people.

- The Police, "One World"
Old 08-30-2019, 12:28 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
...Senator, please don't tempt them.
Like waving a red flag in front of a bull. Give 'em a little time, and they can always come up with a crueler, stoopider policy.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Ya think? The Trump circus has been a continual criminal rampage far far worse than Bonnie & Clyde's spree.

I don't know why the dotard Robert Mueller didn't come out and say just that. Did they threaten his family?
Old 08-30-2019, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Still think they will back down. People are weekended right now, but there will be massive public disapproval, and they will start dancing. Or maybe there won't be. In which case, America, fucked yeah.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:06 PM

Just a brief interruption to inform everyone that according to the latest tracking predictions, Hurricane Dorian is headed directly for Mar-a-Lago, absolutely dead center. Some may take this as evidence that there really is a God, and while God generally pursues a policy of non-intervention in earthly affairs, it appears that even the Divine Creator may have his limits.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:26 PM

Floridians have been warned not to fire guns at Hurricane Dorian.
https://twitter.com/Breaking911/stat...151552/photo/1
Old 08-30-2019, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

You're not the boss of me!

pew! pew!
Old 08-30-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Again
Old 08-30-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
Just a brief interruption to inform everyone that according to the latest tracking predictions, Hurricane Dorian is headed directly for Mar-a-Lago, absolutely dead center. Some may take this as evidence that there really is a God, and while God generally pursues a policy of non-intervention in earthly affairs, it appears that even the Divine Creator may have his limits.
If Mar-a-Lago sustains a direct hit that destroys it, I will revise my opinion on the power of prayer.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If Mar-a-Lago sustains a direct hit that destroys it, I will revise my opinion on the power of prayer.
Rather like the hurricane which hit Virginia Beach (home of the Christian Broadcasting Network) shortly after Pat Robertson predicted that God would smite Disney World for admitting gays?
Old 08-30-2019, 04:32 PM

Not unless it's occupied by an orange bastard. Trump would probably be relieved to receive an insurance payout for the property, newly free of bedbugs, too.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:04 PM

Trump doesn't like to have his picture taken with Tiffany, because she's fat.

A) WTF
B) Right
Old 08-30-2019, 05:30 PM

https://twitter.com/gtconway3d/statu...90793864232960

Trump is not looking good today. I think his meds need to be adjusted.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:34 PM

There's a lot of reverb on that audio that shouldn't be present with an outdoor close up mic. Look, Trump is an incompetent fuck who can't read or speak, but there's something fishy with what Mr. Conway posted.

Last edited by bobot; 08-30-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not what you'd expect View Post

I have gotten the impression over the last few days that something bad is happening in Trump land.

Unfortunately, I've felt that way before with no payoff, so I'm not super hopeful.

The possibility of a recession certainly messes with his future. Trump has to win 2020, or he's going to jail, and you don't win in a recession.

There's also the possibility that the IG report on the Carter Page warrants confirmed that there was substantive evidence behind the Trump investigation. Though, I'm not too hopeful on that front. The IG's job is basically to find faults and investigating a presidential candidate is such a political nightmare that all decisions one makes on that front are questionable, no matter which you choose.

I'm hopeful that the FBI is coming for someone, for something, and that news has been percolating through the capital. The inauguration investigation has been underway for a pretty long time now. It's coming on time for it to pop.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:

He looks like a zombie. But not as healthy.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:54 PM

He may have revealed some military secrets as well. I'm telling you, he's worse.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...ng-iran-2019-8

President Trump tweeted out a high-resolution image of the launch pad where one of Iran's rockets blew up.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:25 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
That's just a Republican bumper sticker. They don't actually practice it. It's like "budget deficit bad" or "freedom of religion". Try building a mosque in a Republican stronghold and you'll see how seriously they believe it.

Right. And of course that flies in the face of federal law. IIRC, the law concerned was passed unanimously by both houses of Congress. Now, I am not a lawyer, so I may be misunderstanding the law, but let's hear it from a real lawyer.

Quote:

&

Quote:
My emphasis.

No it's the pro-fetus party. Once the baby is born, they don't give a crap what happens to it.

It's the pro-pregnancy party. Except of course if the pregnancy happens to afflict one of their mistresses. And don't forget how much they bitch about certain members of society getting pregnant, even if those certain members happen to be married to the father of the child.

Quote:
It looks, at least on the surface, that the malAdministration expected this to fly under the radar: I mean, there aren't all that many of them, and they're mostly brown, amirite?

And when it did see the light of day, the response from Citizenship & Immigration would have been humorous if the consequences weren't so tragic. "What, didn't you read the letter? The program isn't ending, per se, not really, no, it's being taken over by another agency. The other agency? Umm … err … ICE! Yeah, ICE! You need to apply to them!" And the (predictable) response from ICE: "WTF? CIS hasn't told us a damn thing, we have no such program in place and no plan to establish one." (Apparently the two agencies didn't even have a meeting on the subject until after the story broke about the first letters in Boston. At that meeting ICE punted the ball right back to CIS.)

I was brought up to think that clowns were supposed to be funny. After watching this crew I'm beginning to understand why some children are scared to death of them.

This is rather impressive move by what I had earlier considered the most incompetent administration in the history of my beloved country. I was wrong. They are competent, just in an evil manner. This is the second mean-spirited policy to come to light in the same week.

Oh, and now I know why some people have coulrophobia.

Quote:

Aides admitted that Trump lied about cutting a deal with China explicitly to give the stock market a boost.

Well, you know when you're getting a beating, you go to your strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Like waving a red flag in front of a bull. Give 'em a little time, and they can always come up with a crueler, stoopider policy.

It's like an evil version of Dilbert's mad bosses. Which is odd, given that they're kind of evil too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post

The only thing this is making me wonder is: Does Trump realize Florida is part of the United States?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post

What?! Well, dang. How are they supposed to get that nuke into the thing?

Quote:

No doubt. Isn't there some medication known to cause orange skin? And Trump is complaining about someone being fat? Bwahahahahaha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
I have gotten the impression over the last few days that something bad is happening in Trump land.

Unfortunately, I've felt that way before with no payoff, so I'm not super hopeful.

The possibility of a recession certainly messes with his future. Trump has to win 2020, or he's going to jail, and you don't win in a recession.

There's also the possibility that the IG report on the Carter Page warrants confirmed that there was substantive evidence behind the Trump investigation. Though, I'm not too hopeful on that front. The IG's job is basically to find faults and investigating a presidential candidate is such a political nightmare that all decisions one makes on that front are questionable, no matter which you choose.

I'm hopeful that the FBI is coming for someone, for something, and that news has been percolating through the capital. The inauguration investigation has been underway for a pretty long time now. It's coming on time for it to pop.

Yeah, what are they waiting for, a second inauguration to investigate?

Quote:
He may have revealed some military secrets as well. I'm telling you, he's worse.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...ng-iran-2019-8

President Trump tweeted out a high-resolution image of the launch pad where one of Iran's rockets blew up.

Remember when people freaked out about a reporter giving away troop locations on live TV? yeah, I guess he wasn't a Republican.

By the way, one of the reasons for something to be classified is that if the enemy knows we know the information, the enemy will know how we know and very well might kill the source, literally kill the source.

Last edited by Monty; 08-30-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
He may have revealed some military secrets as well.
Again.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:

Only if a Democrat does it.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:35 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
...Aides admitted that Trump lied about cutting a deal with China explicitly to give the stock market a boost.

Don't you want the economy to do well? Why do you hate America?
Old 08-31-2019, 12:20 AM

How about a moment of silence to meditate on how serious Hillary's e-mail transgressions were?