Old 12-03-2018, 06:35 PM

The ISS now has a jerkbot. How long until it starts singing Bicycle Built for Two?
Old 12-05-2018, 10:55 PM

The folks at Nvidia have developed an AI that can render, among other things, realistic urban scenes. I'm not 100% sure, but it seems, to borrow a gaming term, to be a rogue-like terrain generator, which is pretty fucking cool.

They also trained it to make people dance.

Brief article & short video.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:06 PM

How you doin', Atlas?
Old 01-10-2019, 10:14 PM

That's pretty unimpressive, IMO.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:21 PM

What's that, Homer?
Old 01-10-2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
I worry about mass unemployment. I think that will be a huge issue in the 2020s but especially the 2030s.
After job hunting for quite a long time, I started working a few months ago for a company that makes robots. They're similar to the Amazon warehouse robots that were linked to earlier, and several people at my company previously worked on those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
http://www.rethinkrobotics.com/baxter/

$22,000 for Baxter

$29,000 for Sawyer

Kind of expensive for your house, but if you eat a lot of sandwiches, maybe it'd be worth it.
I interviewed at Rethink about a year ago. Seemed like pretty cool tech, but I think they have since gone out of business.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
After job hunting for quite a long time, I started working a few months ago for a company that makes robots. They're similar to the Amazon warehouse robots that were linked to earlier, and several people at my company previously worked on those.

I interviewed at Rethink about a year ago. Seemed like pretty cool tech, but I think they have since gone out of business.
Their website is still active (I clicked the link) and at the bottom says "copyright 2008-2019", but their Wikipedia page backs you up:
Quote:
Rethink robotics closed its doors on October 3, 2018 and its intellectual property assets were acquired by HAHN Group on October 25, 2018.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 01-10-2019 at 11:21 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:19 PM

'Inkjet' solar panels poised to revolutionise green energy

This is the first I had heard of perovskite solar cells; it's fascinating.

Everything you ever wanted to know about perovskite (4:46 video)

Here is Saule Tech printing one of their cells (:31); pretty fucking cool IMO.

Lotta potential there; can't wait to see the first large-scale installation. I'd be curious to see micro-scale uses too: cel phone covers, automobile rooftops, roadway lights and signals, etc.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-03-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:46 PM

In Japan a robot is playing around with radioactive waste.

Tokyo is doomed.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:19 PM

Agility Robotics shows some improvements in their robot Cassie in this 3:36 video. One big advance for this blind robot is the addition of dynamic planning to deal with changes in the terrain, including stairs. Another removes the brief transitional that Cassie used to go thru when changing from standing still to in motion. Pretty cool stuff, IMO. And yeah, there's a coupla bloopers at the end.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:29 AM

MIT's Mini Cheetah is kind of like an even smaller version of the Spot Mini, but without the huge sensor "head". It seems to have joints at the shoulder that allow it to re-orient the shoulder; I thought it looked cool and useful at 1:05 when they were showing how limber the Cheetah is.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:37 PM

So--all of the voice recognition done "by" phones and other portable doodads today are actually recorded audio clips transmitted off to server farms somewhere to do the actual recognition. But Google has managed to shrink it's English-language voice recognition code from 2 GB to 80 MB, allowing it to soon be able to run on-device.

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 03-12-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:41 PM

Content-aware fill for video.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:04 AM

Nvidia's latest AI outing GauGAN, converts sketches consisting of just a few marked areas to near-photorealistic pictures.

I remember a scene in Star Trek: TNG (I think), where a boy used a doodad to produce a dolphin-sculpture from a block of material, asking excitedly whether they made that afterwards. And that's the thing: did he? What's the nature of art created by pushing the 'make art'-button?
Old 04-04-2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
I remember a scene in Star Trek: TNG (I think), where a boy used a doodad to produce a dolphin-sculpture from a block of material, asking excitedly whether they made that afterwards. And that's the thing: did he? What's the nature of art created by pushing the 'make art'-button?

When the Bough Breaks

Old 04-04-2019, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

Boston Dynamics Ostrich-like pallet loader:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019...loads-pallets/

Brian
Old 04-04-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
That's the one, thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by N9IWP View Post
Boston Dynamics Ostrich-like pallet loader:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019...loads-pallets/

Brian
Saw this earlier. I have to say, I find their movement a little creepy... The gripping attachment reminded me of the origami gripper from MIT.

I wonder where I might have seen that one before...

Last edited by Half Man Half Wit; 04-04-2019 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:53 PM

It turns out that children are assholes to robots.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
News flash: children are assholes to whomever they can be. Mostly that means other kids, but I guess it's not surprising that they would be assholes to milquetoast robots. Give the robot some physical defenses - taser, baton, phased-plasma rifle in the 40-watt range - and the power dynamic will change.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
One of the comments was:

"The children will laugh and abuse the robot now, but when the cleansing of the human race begins they'll be crying for mercy while their mechanical overlords strip away their essence of life"

Old 04-05-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
That's interesting, but the bulk of solar costs are from things other than the panels themselves. Regulations, hooking them upto the grid, installation, etc. I'm not sure if that would save money.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 04-05-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:28 PM

The newest in robotics. (Link may require brain-bleach.)
Old 04-16-2019, 03:27 PM

You don't even have to yell "come here, Spot!" because Spot is already coming! And he and his friends can tow their own delivery truck!

Cool little video showcasing the SpotMini as part of the marketing blitz, I suppose: the text does say that the production line is cranking them out and they will be for sale soon.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 04-16-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:07 PM

Robot guides itself through living pig's heart:
Quote:
It is one of the first times researchers have shown that a truly autonomous surgical robot can navigate inside the heart, not controlled by a doctor with a joystick, according to a study in Wednesday’s journal Science Robotics .

Heart surgeons routinely push a thin tube called a catheter through twisting and turning blood vessels to make repairs in the heart without open surgery. But how does a robotic version find its own way through moving heart tissue and with blood swishing in the way?

Researchers at Boston Children’s Hospital turned the catheter’s camera tip into essentially an “optical whisker,” said cardiac bioengineering chief Pierre Dupont, the lead researcher. Just as cockroaches navigate along walls and rats reach out with their whiskers, the catheter maps its path through the heart, tapping periodically against the heart’s valve and wall ever so lightly — with about the force of a stick of butter sitting in your hand, Dupont said. The technology combines the camera’s images with machine learning to interpret what tissue it’s touching and how hard.
Coming soon: heart surgery by bots &/or nanobots, all done by a computer.; I'd guess within 20 years.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:20 AM

Walmart is getting in on the action:
Quote:
Walmart, which faces fierce competition from Amazon and other online retailers, is experimenting with digitizing its physical stores to manage them more efficiently, keep costs under control and make the shopping experience more pleasant. On Thursday, the retail giant officially opens its Intelligent Retail Lab inside a 50,000-square-foot Neighborhood Market grocery store on Long Island.

Thousands of cameras suspended from the ceiling, combined with other technology like sensors on shelves, will monitor the store in real time so workers can quickly replenish products or fix other problems.

The technology, shown first to The Associated Press, will also be able to spot spills, track when shelves need to be restocked and know when shopping carts are running low. Cameras, for example, can determine how ripe bananas are from their color, and workers will get an alert on their phone if they need to be replaced.
The article makes it clear that competition from Amazon partly prompted Walmarts investment in new tech; in the future, stores will have shoppers, but few workers, apparently.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:08 PM

A company called IHMC Robotics posted a video last week showing off their LIDAR/software that helps Atlas create 3D maps of its locale and then navigate that terrain, even when only very narrow, irregular paths are available. I love how some of the footings are inadvertently unstable, yet Atlas never seems to make any obvious correction while maintaining perfect balance & composure. From the video description:
Quote:
The robot senses the terrain with LIDAR and builds a map of planar regions. A path planning algorithm plans footsteps across the planar regions to a goal location, specified by an operator. The robot is currently about 50% successful over this type of terrain. We plan to increase the rate of success by adding balance using angular momentum and by better considering joint ranges of motion. Narrow terrain is difficult due to the need to do some "cross-over" steps, which are tricky due to limited range of motion in the hip joint, and also due to having a small polygon of support when one foot is directly in front of the other.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:49 PM

Kevin is finally gonna get his:
Old 06-17-2019, 04:54 PM

I don't even have to click; I know where that link goes (and it totally fucking rocks!).
Old 06-17-2019, 04:56 PM

Everybody sing:

"Bots just wanna have fu-un,
Bots just wanna have fun!"
Old 06-20-2019, 10:30 AM

Behold the Translatotron!

Speak into it in one language and have your speech come out in another language!

I was alerted to this because one of my favorite YouTube channels, Two Minute Papers, just did a piece on it: All Hail The Mighty Translatotron! (6 minute video).

This seems hugely important and game-changing to me.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:51 PM

So the Corridor Crew (see Post #127) offer a demonstration of Deep Fake tech where they get Tom Cruise to come to their studio. Frankly, this is kinda scary. Fascinating, but scary.

They're wrong that that there's no Deep Fake for voices tho; we've covered several companies handling that earlier in the thread and things have only gotten better in the months since then. That link goes to a news article that has an embedded video with a CG voice that mimics Joe Rogan. Now, I don't listen to him but I know he's a sports comedy guy and I'm certain I've heard him before... and I can't at all tell that this 100% computer generated voice isn't a real person talking. I'd be really interested in having a Joe Rogan fan listen to it.

I think what's really scary about this Deep Fake video is knowing that it was done on a machine that is affordable to many, many people AND that it took so little time to train the AI. IMO 2-3 days isn't a lot of time. Imagine letting it train itself for 100 days with 10000x the reference images, and it seems to me that this kind of thing is going to quickly become indistinguishable from real recorded footage.

-------

Oh, and now there's AIs being trained to produce a controllable full-body image. In other words, they can now digitize a person and a joystick/controller can be used to manipulate the image in real time. The AI figures out how to get from one body pose to another realistically. So soon you won't need a whole body suit to do animations. Hollywood can just have 2 people in comfortable studio gaming chairs make AI CGI Jackie Chan fight AI CGI Arnold Schwarzenegger as tho it were a video game and then edit all the really cool parts into a fight scene.

I'm now VERY sure that my lifetime is gonna include some VERY fucked up shit happening.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-23-2019 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
.I'm now VERY sure that my lifetime is gonna include some VERY fucked up shit happening.
What a time to be alive! (Sniff.)

Almost makes up for the no flying cars.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:47 AM

Just want to mention that a new set of Raspberry Pi's have been announced. The Pi 4 comes in 1/2/4 GB versions (at $35/$45/$55 resp.).

Newer, much faster, quad-core processor. USB 3.0 ports. True gigabit Ethernet. Dual (micro) HDMI ports. 4k resolution (supposedly). New GPIO options. Etc.

Don't need the dual screens myself and I hate micro HDMI. Just another adapter to deal with. Also the power port is USB C now (and it draws more power, of course). Not case compatible. (So an upgrade requires several new parts.)

Tom's Hardware has a review. Note the immense speed increase when using a SSD. This will make a big difference for me.

Wonder what new AI stuff you can do with it.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:17 PM

This bit on watermarks is from a year ago, but I just saw it today. (It would be great if you could use this to do on the fly de-buging of video as you watch.)
Old 06-26-2019, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Insect like robot close to independent flight:
https://arstechnica.com/science/2019...endent-flight/

No control, and for less than a second, but still cool IMHO

Brian
Old 06-28-2019, 05:05 PM

Something that really interests me is that we are beginning to see LIDAR on cell phones (under the name TOF or Time Of Flight sensor.) The main purpose is to be able detect depth for focusing images, but there are other, much cooler potentials. Such as using your phone camera to create 3D models of objects (and people) you photograph, and measuring dimensions and volumes of objects. The sensors are on only a few high-end phones now, but they will trickle down.

(There will probably also be cool secondary uses for the up-and-coming short-range RADAR.)
Old 07-03-2019, 11:02 PM

How about a creepy new iPhone feature?
Old 07-04-2019, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Something that really interests me is that we are beginning to see LIDAR on cell phones (under the name TOF or Time Of Flight sensor.) The main purpose is to be able detect depth for focusing images, but there are other, much cooler potentials. Such as using your phone camera to create 3D models of objects (and people) you photograph, and measuring dimensions and volumes of objects. The sensors are on only a few high-end phones now, but they will trickle down.
And don't forget that every time someone uses it, it trains the AI better. It's going to get very good very quickly with hundreds of millions of people using it, even if 90% only use it once.
Quote:
(There will probably also be cool secondary uses for the up-and-coming short-range RADAR.)
This sounds like really, really cool tech. If it works simply and works well, it's prolly game changing. Video gaming would change overnight. A good portion of the machines in Las Vegas would be changed within a year; no more slapping buttons or pulling levers. TV sets, computers, clocks, doors, elevators, etc., etc.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-04-2019 at 12:19 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:44 PM

Check this out: This AI Makes The Mona Lisa Come To Life.

This AI can create video of a person's face moving, saying things, changing expressions, etc. from a single image. Any face. Even a painted one. It is amazing.

CGI movies are gonna be amazing in 10 years.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:30 PM

More than 3 million people work in the US as migrant and seasonal farmworkers; they are all going to be out of job in the next 10 years: Robot uses photonic sensors to pick strawberries in gee-whiz numbers.
Quote:
Human pickers can collect around 50 kilograms in a day but take breaks.

The Scottish Farmer walked readers through the impressive numbers of yield and labor output that would result in using the robots, "promising a 'revolution' in harvesting soft fruit, with a workrate of 11,500 berries in a 16-hour day.

The description said they were bruise-free, every 5 seconds, with the robot's delicate clasping mechanism, and with the ability to deliver between 180 and 360 kilograms every single day.
Quote:
Jon Excell, The Engineer named two key features of this robot— smart photonics and a patented soft-touch gripper. The robot can both pick strawberries and sort them by size or weight and pack as it goes along. The strawberries are picked based on ripeness and size. They are packaged in varied categories.
Quote:
The Scottish Farmer said the machine, and all within a 5-second picking cycle, (1) analyzes colors of each fruit and (2) assesses if the fruit is ripe enough for picking via the clasping mechanism.
The article even addresses the human worker aspect of the machine's use:
Quote:
So, where does that leave human workers? Gordon Davidson quoted Jan Anthonis of the company, who said, "Rotting and unpicked fruit from a lack of human pickers on farms all over the world could soon be tackled with robots."

"You no longer need to worry about finding the right people but you can focus on tomorrow," according to the company web site.
So yeah: all those people are about to be unemployable in farmwork. Might take 5 or 10 or 20 years, but there's simply no way that farms aren't going to utilize this technology. They do 3.5x to 7+x the work that a person does, with less waste and zero downtime. Hell, people could pick all day and night and still not equal what the robot can pick in 8 hours. That's a no brainer for anyone using human labor.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-05-2019 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:53 PM

Robot umpires!
Quote:
The independent Atlantic League became the first American professional baseball league to let a computer call balls and strikes Wednesday night at its All-Star Game. Plate umpire Brian deBrauwere wore an earpiece connected to an iPhone in his pocket and relayed the call upon receiving it from a TrackMan computer system that uses Doppler radar.

He crouched in his normal position behind the catcher and signaled balls and strikes.

“Until we can trust this system 100 percent, I still have to go back there with the intention of getting a pitch correct because if the system fails, it doesn’t pick a pitch up or if it registers a pitch that’s a foot-and-a-half off the plate as a strike, I have to be prepared to correct that,” deBrauwere said before the game.

It didn’t appear deBrauwere had any delay receiving the calls at first but players noticed a big difference.

“One time I already had caught the ball back from the catcher and he signaled strike,” said pitcher Daryl Thompson, who didn’t realize the technology was being used until after he disagreed with a call.

Infielder L.J. Mazzilli said a few times hitters who struck out lingered an extra second or so in the batter’s box waiting on a called third strike.

“The future is crazy but it’s cool to see the direction of baseball,” Mazzilli said.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:25 PM

Finally, the first move towards Blernsball.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:49 AM

Here comes the porto-molecule!
Quote:
The Hayabusa2 spacecraft had created a landing crater on the rocky asteroid in April by dropping a copper impactor. It landed inside that crater on Thursday and collected samples that scientists believe contain valuable data unaffected by space radiation and other environmental factors.

Hayabusa2 is the first spacecraft to successfully collect underground samples from an asteroid. A similar mission is planned by the U.S. National Aeronautics and Space Administration on another asteroid, Bennu.

The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency, or JAXA, said data show Hayabusa2 touched down and rose safely after collecting the samples. The moment the success was announced in the command center, everyone stood up, cheered and applauded.

“It was a success, a big success,” said Takashi Kubota, a Hayabusa2 project member. “We achieved success in all scheduled procedures.”

JAXA said the samples have been safely placed in a container, which will be moved to a capsule for secure storage.

“We obtained pieces of the history of the solar system. We took a historic step,” said Yuichi Tsuda, the Hayabusa2 project manager. “Nobody has collected and brought home underground materials from anywhere further than the moon.”
Quote:
The asteroid, named Ryugu after an undersea dragon palace in a Japanese folktale, is about 300 million kilometers (180 million miles) from Earth. Hayabusa2 is expected to leave the asteroid later this year and return home at the end of next year.

The asteroid, about 900 meters (yards) in diameter, is extremely rocky on its surface and has signs organic compounds, scientists say.

Hayabusa2 made a similar landing at another location on the asteroid in February and collected topsoil samples.
According to Wikipedia, Hayabusa2 will complete its survey of the asteroid in December and the return trip to Terra will take about a year.

IMO this is pretty fucking cool.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-11-2019 at 06:49 AM. Reason: fixed coding
Old 07-11-2019, 07:42 AM

As an aside, the title sometimes makes me think "atlatl" instead of "Atlas", and now I'm imagining a much, much, much earlier version of this thread.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:08 AM

^ Hey, what's new, Atlas? Whoa-ooooh, whoa, whoa-oooh.

You're welcome.

Last edited by burpo the wonder mutt; 07-11-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:55 PM

We can now edit both the audio and video of a person speaking just by entering new text.

https://www.ohadf.com/projects/text-based-editing/ - 9 minute video from the researchers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xWnOL5bts8 - 4 minute summer video at Two Minute Papers.

The AI matches the speakers voice and produces video that matches how a person's face would move/change when speaking the new words.

This is still very new tech but there are several examples that I cannot tell are faked.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-11-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:19 PM

In all of the science fiction of earlier decades, not once did anyone predict the problem of the accidental cat filter.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
This sounds like really, really cool tech. If it works simply and works well, it's prolly game changing. Video gaming would change overnight. A good portion of the machines in Las Vegas would be changed within a year; no more slapping buttons or pulling levers. TV sets, computers, clocks, doors, elevators, etc., etc.
It is confirmed that the Pixel 4 has radar. Just look at the cluster of sensors and projectors on the front of that thing.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:36 PM

It just got a lot easier to make animated films. (2:48 video)

For those that don't want to click:

Remember a few years ago when they figured out how to take an artist's style and use AI to render a photograph in that style? So you could have your vacation photo of Big Ben done as if Van Gogh painted it or something? Well, now they've developed a way to do that with video. Quite a few examples of real footage rendered in various art styles; kind of like rotoscoping by computer, eh.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 08-07-2019 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:59 PM

I was playing around with the software (or trying to; it's kinda difficult because there are no instructions at all) and forgot to link to the example video that they creators made: Watch EbSynth bring paintings to life is 1:56 long, with no narration, just examples of synthed video.

ETA: AHA! I found the instruction video!

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 08-07-2019 at 05:01 PM.