Old 01-12-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
Hey Hubert: you going to answer why you’re comfortable attacking people on the Internet with vile names but are too big of a sissy to gently confront someone in real life where it might actually do some good even if there’s a risk of offending them?

Or are you just a poser windbag blowhard Internet tough guy who doesn’t believe in his cause enough to actually take risks for it?
Considering black guys get shot by the police for entering their own apartment or reaching for their own wallet...I think he gets a pass.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
Thanks for your polite response. Two questions. First, do you feel that the teller of the joke and/or the people who laughed at the joke thought it was wise of the white man to hide the rings value to prevent it from being stolen, or thought it was funny because it illustrated the negative stereotypes that blacks had to deal with (ie the butt of the joke was the racist white guy). 2) if one of the white people had spoken up and said, "come on guys, racism is a serious issue that blacks have to deal with on a daily basis and not something to make joke about". Would you consider that that person might be an ally in the fight against racism, or is the fact that they are white, and so don't have complete insight in to what it means to be a black, mean that they are by necessity an evil oppressor.
Well, your questions get into intention versus impact. I will answer your questions, but I know this well-worn path well. For white folks, racism is coupled with the idea that the racist person is intentional and is deliberately inflicting harm by his or her actions. So, for example, a white person would consider running over a black man with a pickup truck and referring to his dead body as "some nigger" on social media, as racism. But would not consider the firing of the meteorologist who accidentally referred to Martin Luther King as Martin Luther Coon King as racism. The societal structures of white supremacy force people of color to always gauge whether a white person is being intentional or unintentional in their racism. The idea is that people of color are not allowed to be upset about unintentional acts of racism, we can be upset (anger and outrage are not allowed) when it is an intentional act of racism. Even I fell into the trap and thought "we're probably the only people of color this dude has ever broken bread with and he don't know how to act". But the problem is that this diminishes the impact of intentional and unintentional racism on people of color. People of color report higher levels of chronic stress which increases the risk of depression, diabetes, heart disease, and infant mortality. These actions lead to conditions that bring us all down with increased healthcare costs and decreased GDP output. Solving “the problem of the color line" benefits us all.

With that aside, let me answer your questions:

1. I think the people there thought it was wise for the guy to hide the value of the ring.
2. Yes, but this only happened once in my life. I'd be shocked if it ever happened again. I think those moments are once in a lifetime events (but could be wrong). Would be an interesting polling question for other people of color.

Regarding your other comment about white folks and being an oppressor. White folks are not the oppressor but they do insist on being the antagonist. Does that make sense?

Let me give you an example. If you ask what white folk want, they will say something like building a wall, cutting welfare, removing affirmative action, getting rid of abortion, freedom (which is white folk speak for "unfettered access to ammunition and firearms"), limited regulation (which is white speak for "don't spend my tax money on people of color"), etc. From my vantage point, the common theme that underlies white folk's happiness is hinged on inflicting humiliation and misery on people of color. That's the platform that over 50% of them support. In contrast, if you ask people of color what they want, they will tell you "Justice, Jobs, and Peace". No person of color campaigns on the platform of wanting to humiliate or cause misery to white folks. This paints an uncomfortable picture where white folks appear to not be concerned about a predictable set of issues but concerned about issues that effect other ethnic groups. It's antagonism for the sake of antagonism. For example, I don't believe white folks are opposed to universal healthcare because it's a bad idea. I think white folks are opposed to healthcare because they'd rather die a thousand deaths than to have any of their tax dollars be used to provide healthcare for one person of color.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey Freeman View Post

Let me give you an example. If you ask what white folk want, they will say something like building a wall, cutting welfare, removing affirmative action, getting rid of abortion, freedom (which is white folk speak for "unfettered access to ammunition and firearms"), limited regulation (which is white speak for "don't spend my tax money on people of color"), etc.
You assume all white people want those things, which is absolute fucking bullshit.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
You assume all white people want those things, which is absolute fucking bullshit.
Yeah, it's only about half of white folks.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:35 AM

I guess its a question of tactics.

I can understand the necessary outrage, that makes a black person attend a protest shouting "Fuck White people! Fuck the Police!"

But if a white person is standing next to them shouting "Fuck Racism! Black lives matter!" its not particularly helpful for that black person to turn to them and shout "No! Fuck you! You racist Motherfucker!"
Old 01-14-2019, 06:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey Freeman
For example, I don't believe white folks are opposed to universal healthcare because it's a bad idea. I think white folks are opposed to healthcare because they'd rather die a thousand deaths than to have any of their tax dollars be used to provide healthcare for one person of color.
You really are dumb as a fucking brick, aren’t you?
Old 01-14-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey Freeman
Black man: <glances down> Hey! Nice ring! Where did you get it from?
White man: Oh this? It's a fake.

The punchline of his joke/story was that he deliberately lied to the black guy because he was afraid the black man could rob him of his wedding band after his shift.
Lol, no way that happened. No man is going compliment another on his frigging wedding band let alone ask where the other guy bought it.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
I guess its a question of tactics.

I can understand the necessary outrage, that makes a black person attend a protest shouting "Fuck White people! Fuck the Police!"

But if a white person is standing next to them shouting "Fuck Racism! Black lives matter!" its not particularly helpful for that black person to turn to them and shout "No! Fuck you! You racist Motherfucker!"
That made me laugh, not only was it just most brilliant, but a succint way of how to sum it all up. Well done.

It would have been nice just to end the thread there, but since it didn't, and I've read through the rest of this crazy thing, as well as reading critical reviews of this woman's book that inspired Huey, this Robin DiAngelo, I've learned a bit more about her and her book which has gave us some of these new accusatory and inflamatory words and phrases to use on white people that are generally seen as liberal or progressive, such as "white fragility" and white supremist" which the latter had only been used on actual white supremists in the past like David Duke types and his followers, but she pretty much extends it to all white people, and will flat out tell you all white people are racist. She must have invented a new definition for it because the standard definition of white supremists doesn't fit the vast majority of white people at all.

Which brings us back to what you just said. I'm sure Robin DiAngelo would have used those same labels on Heather Heyer, even though she died standing alongside black and white protesting white nationalists.

Robin DiAngelo wants to judge us by our white skin. I'm convinced had Martin Luther King jr been alive today, he would not have agreed with her.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Well, your questions get into intention versus impact. I will answer your questions, but I know this well-worn path well. For white folks, racism is coupled with the idea that the racist person is intentional and is deliberately inflicting harm by his or her actions. So, for example, a white person would consider running over a black man with a pickup truck and referring to his dead body as "some nigger" on social media, as racism. But would not consider the firing of the meteorologist who accidentally referred to Martin Luther King as Martin Luther Coon King as racism. The societal structures of white supremacy force people of color to always gauge whether a white person is being intentional or unintentional in their racism. The idea is that people of color are not allowed to be upset about unintentional acts of racism, we can be upset (anger and outrage are not allowed) when it is an intentional act of racism. Even I fell into the trap and thought "we're probably the only people of color this dude has ever broken bread with and he don't know how to act". But the problem is that this diminishes the impact of intentional and unintentional racism on people of color. People of color report higher levels of chronic stress which increases the risk of depression, diabetes, heart disease, and infant mortality. These actions lead to conditions that bring us all down with increased healthcare costs and decreased GDP output. Solving “the problem of the color line" benefits us all.

With that aside, let me answer your questions:

1. I think the people there thought it was wise for the guy to hide the value of the ring.
2. Yes, but this only happened once in my life. I'd be shocked if it ever happened again. I think those moments are once in a lifetime events (but could be wrong). Would be an interesting polling question for other people of color.

Regarding your other comment about white folks and being an oppressor. White folks are not the oppressor but they do insist on being the antagonist. Does that make sense?

Let me give you an example. If you ask what white folk want, they will say something like building a wall, cutting welfare, removing affirmative action, getting rid of abortion, freedom (which is white folk speak for "unfettered access to ammunition and firearms"), limited regulation (which is white speak for "don't spend my tax money on people of color"), etc. From my vantage point, the common theme that underlies white folk's happiness is hinged on inflicting humiliation and misery on people of color. That's the platform that over 50% of them support. In contrast, if you ask people of color what they want, they will tell you "Justice, Jobs, and Peace". No person of color campaigns on the platform of wanting to humiliate or cause misery to white folks. This paints an uncomfortable picture where white folks appear to not be concerned about a predictable set of issues but concerned about issues that effect other ethnic groups. It's antagonism for the sake of antagonism. For example, I don't believe white folks are opposed to universal healthcare because it's a bad idea. I think white folks are opposed to healthcare because they'd rather die a thousand deaths than to have any of their tax dollars be used to provide healthcare for one person of color.
White folks are evil, if they weren’t we would all be like Scandinavia.

Your self-hate is repellant.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:57 AM

https://www.theroot.com/shes-black-i...r-s-1831845016

Dance coach tells black student that her skin color clashes with the uniforms. Also, she doesn't get picked for the best performances. Also, the coach had text messages that said "I hate that she's black".

That sucks. What's far, far worse is that the rest of the team, and parents, stood by the coach, even when the racism was undeniable.

Just imagine how often this happens, and has happened, and it's not reported, or it's reported and ignored, etc.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:30 PM
BANNED

This is whiteness. I have no words. If you doubt the monstrous nature of white folks, watch that video in full. There is no humanity there, just a soulless husk in human form.

Last edited by Huey Freeman; 01-19-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
This is whiteness. I have no words. If you doubt the monstrous nature of white folks, watch that video in full. There is no humanity there, just a soulless husk in human form.
Standing around a Native American (Vietnam veteran) chanting "Build that wall." Their school is really doing a good job of teaching. But then, I guess the school sending all of these upstanding young men to participate in an anti-abortion march shows where their priorities lie.
The school has shut down their Twitter account and their phone number.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:30 PM

Black gay actor assaulted in possible hate crime. I guess money doesn't necessarily protect you if you don't use it to have bodyguards around.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/29/68975...ble-hate-crime

To be fair, the assailants haven't been apprehended yet so their motivation is not definitely known. However, at some point they wrapped a rope around his neck (as he reports).
Old 01-30-2019, 08:49 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
Black gay actor assaulted in possible hate crime. I guess money doesn't necessarily protect you if you don't use it to have bodyguards around.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/29/68975...ble-hate-crime

To be fair, the assailants haven't been apprehended yet so their motivation is not definitely known. However, at some point they wrapped a rope around his neck (as he reports).
Hate to say it, but this looks like a Tawana Brawley.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batano View Post
Hate to say it, but this looks like a Tawana Brawley.
Based on what?
Old 01-30-2019, 10:29 PM

Lol who carries a noose around for just such occasions?
Old 01-30-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
Lol who said anything about a noose fuck off.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:59 PM

Hey it's ok pull the anal beads out of your ass there buddy.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:24 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by andros View Post
Lol who said anything about a noose fuck off.
Is that a whoosh? The victim said that the assailants put a rope around his neck and threw bleach at him. He still had the rope around his neck when the police arrived at his apartment.

So who walks around Chicago at 1:00AM with a pice of rope and bleach looking for someone to attack? My bet is there was some kind of scuffle about something embarrassing, and then the cover story got out of hand.

I hope I'm wrong.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Is that a whoosh? The victim said that the assailants put a rope around his neck and threw bleach at him. He still had the rope around his neck when the police arrived at his apartment.

So who walks around Chicago at 1:00AM with a pice of rope and bleach looking for someone to attack? My bet is there was some kind of scuffle about something embarrassing, and then the cover story got out of hand.

I hope I'm wrong.
Exactly that was my point, noose, length of rope whatever, seems like an odd thing to be carrying around on your person.

Last edited by pool; 01-30-2019 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Exactly that was my point, noose, length of rope whatever, seems like an odd thing to be carrying around on your person.
You seem to have made up your mind. Batano has left a sliver of daylight to escape through. Neither of you has any evidence for your assertions except "seems odd." On the basis of that (i.e. completely nothing at all), you seem to think that this actor doused himself with bleach and wrapped a rope around his own neck. That doesn't seem odd to you at all.

You're just reinforcing the point of this thread.

Or you could wait for the results of the investigation. Plenty of time then, if you're right, to jump up and down with glee.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:45 AM
BANNED

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...nglish/581671/

Less personal than most examples here, but talking about a persistent issue in criminal justice: stenographers who struggle to understand AAVE or even just accents comment in black communities.

Quote:
The Black English gap, as one might call it, matters: It can affect people’s lives at crucial junctures. In 2007, a Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals dissent claimed that when a black woman said, in terror, “He finna shoot me,” she may have been referring to something in the past, when in fact “finna” refers to the immediate future. “Why don’t you just give me a lawyer, dog?” Warren Demesme asked the police when accused of sexual assault in 2017. The statements one makes to law enforcement after requesting a lawyer are inadmissible—but Demesme’s rights were ignored because, it was argued, he’d requested a “lawyer dog,” not an actual attorney.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Less personal than most examples here, but talking about a persistent issue in criminal justice: stenographers who struggle to understand AAVE or even just accents comment in black communities.
What makes you think it's limited to black communities? I defy you to transcribe Weegie or Doric.

SPOILER:
The former is the Glaswegian accent / dialect; the latter Aberdonian
Old 01-31-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Racist assholes do.

Acid and bleach attacks are certainly a thing - they're rare, but they're not imaginary. Carrying a noose when one is looking for someone to use it on is hardly an implausible scenario.

Whether what happened to Smollett was real or faked (and I've not seen any reason to assume fakery thus far) is a separate issue to whether some people will attack random strangers for reasons of racism or homophobia. They will, and they sometimes do.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Sick burn bruh. I mean, it doesn't make the slightest bit of sense, but sick burns don't have to. I got told, and am abashed. Abashed!

So now that I've been mocked and ridiculed within an inch of my pathetic life, you can go back to mocking and ridiculing the more important targets: gay Black guys!
Old 01-31-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
What makes you think it's limited to black communities? I defy you to transcribe Weegie or Doric.

SPOILER:

Interesting. So the existence of strong regional Scottish dialects means we shouldn’t bother to have the American legal system understand black folks? I admit that I’m not seeing the causal link.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:15 AM

I wasn't claiming the story was fake I've only glossed over the vague details in the story, I'm sure he was attacked, I was more thinking out loud about whether it was premeditated or not. Did they have any relation to the guy, did they just happen to see him, or did they set out to attack a black guy and left the house with rope and acid and he was the unlucky first guy they came across. Any other reading of what I said is just your own biases coming through.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I wasn't claiming the story was fake I've only glossed over the vague details in the story, I'm sure he was attacked, I was more thinking out loud about whether it was premeditated or not. Did they have any relation to the guy, did they just happen to see him, or did they set out to attack a black guy and left the house with rope and acid and he was the unlucky first guy they came across. Any other reading of what I said is just your own biases coming through.
I apologize; I had inadvertently conflated Batano's "Tawana Brawley" comment with your comment.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post

SPOILER:
And there are so many of those folks in US courts, it's a real problem!

In fact, most immigrants whose English is not good (or is non-existent) can get translation help in court and with the police. People who are "supposed" to speak "regular" English don't, and also (as in the second case cited in the original quote) can be willfully misunderstood.

You've taken a lot of trouble to make a bogus point.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No comment needed.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
No comment needed.
And yet you still can't control yourself.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:39 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Or you could wait for the results of the investigation. Plenty of time then, if you're right, to jump up and down with glee.
irony
Old 01-31-2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
irony
A news story is reported by a reputable news organization about an alleged attack that is being investigated by the authorities, meaning that it passed a first-level scrutiny by experienced investigators. An attack of a kind that is far from unknown against black people in this country. I report this here as symptomatic of living while black in America. You assume the attack was faked, and therefore irrelevant to the lives of black people in America, without any evidence at all.

Can you see the difference?
Old 02-01-2019, 09:32 AM

Again, some in the media were noting Trump's silence on this actor. Then April Ryan asked him yesterday and he replied, "That I can tell you is horrible. It doesn't get worse."

Why? Why prod politicians for a response when we don't know if there were any harmed victim in this or not? It's understandable that some of the rhetoric of Trump and his ilk is seen as irresponsible and incendiary. Whatever recourse is out there, this is letting the tail wag the dog. You don't discover parts of narratives by shaping sequences of events into them hours after they happen. For those politicians who did volunteer their lamentation over it, this is the 24/7 news. Waiting won't make it more of an emergency.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

But Trump is correct - it is horrible. If it happened the way the actor said it did, it's horrible, if it is a hoax, it's horrible, if the actor just forgot his safe word, it's horrible.

What might make it a little less horrible is catching and punishing whoever is responsible.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 02-01-2019, 02:26 PM

A black woman was pulled over in Detroit for driving with expired tags, and her car was towed. Now, the cops did offer to drive her home, but she declined, since she was only a block from her house. As she walked home in the freezing temperatures, the cops followed behind her, recording her walk, and posted it online with the mocking captions, “walk of shame”, “bye felicia", “What black girl magic looks like,” and “celebrating Black History Month.”
https://www.thedailybeast.com/white-...-walking-home?
Old 02-01-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
A black woman was pulled over in Detroit for driving with expired tags, and her car was towed. Now, the cops did offer to drive her home, but she declined, since she was only a block from her house. As she walked home in the freezing temperatures, the cops followed behind her, recording her walk, and posted it online with the mocking captions, “walk of shame”, “bye felicia", “What black girl magic looks like,” and “celebrating Black History Month.”
https://www.thedailybeast.com/white-...-walking-home?
I really don't understand how the cops think this is a great idea. And even if they don't realize how bad it is, why would they post it on social media? Do they really think they aren't going to get caught? I just don't understand. It has to be some sort of brain damage.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I really don't understand how the cops think this is a great idea. And even if they don't realize how bad it is, why would they post it on social media? Do they really think they aren't going to get caught? I just don't understand. It has to be some sort of brain damage.
Racism is a form of brain damage.

But, people go with what they know. They laughed, their partner laughed, when they got back to the station, their colleagues laughed.

When all your peers are laughing, it is hard to realize that your peers do not make up the entirety of the world. It is easy to take a position that only a triggered libtard snowflake would take offense to these actions, and, along with wanting to make like minded people laugh, they wanted to make their political enemies cry.

They forgot that the vast majority of people are mostly decent, and, while they may not seek out racism to root out, if it is shoved in their face like this, they will react, and usually not in the racists favor.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...nglish/581671/

Even I know what finna means. It’s a shortening of fixing to.

That said, I’m not sure it’s the court’s problem that bad English is spoken.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Even I know what finna means. It’s a shortening of fixing to.

That said, I’m not sure it’s the court’s problem that bad English is spoken.
You think that people should be denied their rights because of a misunderstanding?
Old 02-01-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Yeah, what they did just seems utterly insane to me. Don't make no sense!
Old 02-01-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
You think that people should be denied their rights because of a misunderstanding?
Lawyer, dog or lawyer dog? That’s why I’m generous with my commas.

Concerning rights? No, I don’t think rights should be denied. I actually think wanting a lawyer should be an explicit and informed opt out not an opt in. I don’t trust the Man.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:29 PM

Portland police sergeants tells roll call to just shoot homeless people if they're black.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...0bdf0e7dacc0a?
Old 02-14-2019, 08:45 PM
Suspended

AL Sharpton picked another winner with Smollet: https://abc7chicago.com/sources-smol...mpire/5138497/
Old 02-14-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
AL Sharpton picked another winner with Smollet: https://abc7chicago.com/sources-smol...mpire/5138497/
What are you babbling about?
Old 02-14-2019, 10:56 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
What are you babbling about?
Sharpton, who notoriously pushed the Tawana Brawley story including accusing an innocent man of rape:
Quote:
In 1998, a jury found that the three advisers, including the Rev. Al Sharpton, had defamed Mr. Pagones and awarded him $345,000 in damages from them.
More recently he jumped into the Jussie Smollet case which looks like it was not as reported by the victim.

I never understood why Al Sharpton was allowed back on the public stage after that and even is a contributor and occasional host on MSNBC.

Last edited by Batano; 02-14-2019 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
More recently he jumped into the Jussie Smollet case which looks like it was not as reported by the victim.
Maybe you wanna wait until the investigation turns something up before assuming guilt? I mean, seriously, hypocrite much?
Old 02-15-2019, 12:21 AM

An extended mention of Sharpton is a distraction, really. The focus should be on what the Chicago PD find and more than likely whether criminal charges are recommended against Smollett and his associates. Most people are wise to what Sharpton is after. It's possible the Rick Kitchen's and andros's of the world who share baking recipes in my threads think he is trying to help, but most people know.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
I never understood why Al Sharpton was allowed back on the public stage after that and even is a contributor and occasional host on MSNBC.
Presumably MSNBC feel there's an audience for him. It ain't me, but I assume someone likes him, much in the same way that Oliver North got a FoxNews show.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
It's possible the Rick Kitchen's and andros's of the world who share baking recipes in my threads think he is trying to help, but most people know.
It's also possible that I never said a thing about Sharpton. Oh look, I didn't!

(Here's a helpful hint, though: When decrying someone you don't like (Sharpton) for assuming someone's innocence for their own gain, it can quite easily look like racist hypocrisy to assume that same person's guilt.)