Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #32051  
Old 04-13-2019, 02:25 PM
septimus's Avatar
septimus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Land of Smiles
Posts: 18,862
I'm watching the latest Rachel Maddow right now. Hurry up and click — these shows are hard to find on the 'Net after the first day.

Remember Massage Parlor Owner who pimps slave girls to Trump's rich friends near Mar-a-Lago and also peddles influence with Trump? She was head of a Committee that sponsered a gala Inaugural Ball for Asian-Americans to swoon over DJT, raised a lot of money from the Ball, and ... the money disappeared, in defiance of campaign laws!
  #32052  
Old 04-13-2019, 03:27 PM
Vinyl Turnip is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 20,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
And yet they keep coming...

Things must really suck in their country if they're desperate to relocate to a place run by Trump.
I considered reading some of the comments to that article, but decided it would be easier and less toxic to just find an open septic tank and dive in.
  #32053  
Old 04-13-2019, 03:33 PM
Aspenglow's Avatar
Aspenglow is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
I considered reading some of the comments to that article, but decided it would be easier and less toxic to just find an open septic tank and dive in.
Stealing.
  #32054  
Old 04-13-2019, 04:17 PM
Broomstick's Avatar
Broomstick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 27,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Herman Cain: God will tell us when to quit using fossil fuels.
https://www.newsweek.com/herman-cain...ation-1393455?
Well... um... OK... I just hope God doesn't "tell" us the same way he told the dinosaurs they were no longer in charge...
  #32055  
Old 04-13-2019, 04:48 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 15,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Well... um... OK... I just hope God doesn't "tell" us the same way he told the dinosaurs they were no longer in charge...
Or the way he told Noah. Wait... ??
__________________
Nothing is so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength. Saint Francis de Sales
  #32056  
Old 04-13-2019, 05:15 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 7,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Well... um... OK... I just hope God doesn't "tell" us the same way he told the dinosaurs they were no longer in charge...
*Smacks "like" button*
  #32057  
Old 04-13-2019, 05:40 PM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 17,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Herman Cain: God will tell us when to quit using fossil fuels.
https://www.newsweek.com/herman-cain...ation-1393455?
So what ? The overbearing fuck already told me to love my brother as myself, and that shit sure isn't going to fly.
__________________
--- ---
I'm not sure how to respond to this, but that's never stopped me before.
  #32058  
Old 04-13-2019, 06:53 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
3) Trump (or someone in the White House) thinks that at least a few of the so-called "sanctuary cities" will try to resist the busing in of these immigrants, thereby providing lots of good video for Trump TV showing what hypocrites they are.
Um-hm. But what Trump's fans must be working hard to ignore, is that this latest development shows---no, proves---that NO WALL IS NEEDED.

Remember, Trump's rationale for building The Wall was that those awful brown people were so violent and disease-ridden and destructive that not one of them could be allowed to get inside the USA----hence the need for a wall. 'They must be stopped right at the border! We're not safe if even one of them gets over that southern border! WallWallWallWallWall!!!1!!!!!! It's the only thing that can keep them OUT, and they must be kept OUT!!!!'

Now he's proposing to bus these exact same people right into the heart of America. Right into every (blue) state. Where they will be free to go all over the USA, as they please.

It's TRUMP proposing to move these people into the country. Move them right in.

So..................................................say it with me..............................if there's no problem with letting these people in----in large numbers, yet----then there is no conceivable reason to build a wall across the southern border.
  #32059  
Old 04-13-2019, 06:59 PM
davidm's Avatar
davidm is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Near Philadelphia PA, USA
Posts: 12,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post

...

So..................................................say it with me..............................if there's no problem with letting these people in----in large numbers, yet----then there is no conceivable reason to build a wall across the southern border.
Sure, but that makes sense, and we can't have that. If you make sense then you're a cuck libtard snowflake.
__________________
Check out my t-shirt designs in Marketplace. https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...php?p=21131885
  #32060  
Old 04-13-2019, 07:25 PM
enipla is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 13,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
So what ? The overbearing fuck already told me to love my brother as myself, and that shit sure isn't going to fly.
Thanks for the laugh. Very good.
__________________
I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here.
  #32061  
Old 04-13-2019, 07:34 PM
digs's Avatar
digs is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: West of Wauwatosa
Posts: 9,281
I'm picturing Kobal at the pearly gates. St. Peter opens the big book and says "Oh, huh, there's a post-it note next to your name. From the big guy. It says 'Let the overbearing fuck in'... and then there's a doodle of... a dickbutt?"
  #32062  
Old 04-13-2019, 09:20 PM
Euphonious Polemic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 11,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post

So..................................................say it with me..............................if there's no problem with letting these people in----in large numbers, yet----then there is no conceivable reason to build a wall across the southern border.
Wait for it....
.
.
Wait...
.
.
.
Wait....

We must build walls around the enemy sanctuary cities, as they are all full of enemies. They are bad. Like the press. Enemies of the people. Walls all around the cities.

Wall. Wall. Wall.
  #32063  
Old 04-14-2019, 07:04 AM
septimus's Avatar
septimus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Land of Smiles
Posts: 18,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Um-hm. But what Trump's fans must be working hard to ignore, is that this latest development shows---no, proves---that NO WALL IS NEEDED.

Remember, Trump's rationale for building The Wall was that those awful brown people were so violent and disease-ridden and destructive that not one of them could be allowed to get inside the USA----hence the need for a wall. 'They must be stopped right at the border! We're not safe if even one of them gets over that southern border! WallWallWallWallWall!!!1!!!!!! It's the only thing that can keep them OUT, and they must be kept OUT!!!!'

Now he's proposing to bus these exact same people right into the heart of America. Right into every (blue) state. Where they will be free to go all over the USA, as they please.

It's TRUMP proposing to move these people into the country. Move them right in.

So..................................................say it with me..............................if there's no problem with letting these people in----in large numbers, yet----then there is no conceivable reason to build a wall across the southern border.
Yes, Trump's inconsistency would be surprising in anyone we thought to have a 3-digit IQ. That the man is POTUS boggles the mind.

Trump can best be compared to a frat-boy who spends his time setting his farts on fire. It is America that is most worthy of contempt: Tens of millions of us celebrate those farts and voted for this pathetic monster.
  #32064  
Old 04-14-2019, 07:52 AM
Buck Godot's Avatar
Buck Godot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD outside DC
Posts: 5,576
So since the civil war has a president ever publicly sought to enact a policy specifically designed to damage regions of the US that don't agree with him? During the civil rights era there have been actions taken to enforce federal law, and some quid pro quo with funding, (if you want highway funds you'll lower your speed limit). But this is the first time I can recall where a president actively sought to cause harm.
  #32065  
Old 04-14-2019, 09:13 AM
elucidator is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 59,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Well... um... OK... I just hope God doesn't "tell" us the same way he told the dinosaurs they were no longer in charge...
He was fired. The Acting God Almighty has an entirely different point of view.
  #32066  
Old 04-14-2019, 09:21 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 8,736
It is increasingly apparent that certain people in the WH want to create the "invasion" narrative. They want something that justifies a massacre of migrants, which I think is only a matter of time considering the tone, the rhetoric, and the policies that have been proposed.
  #32067  
Old 04-14-2019, 10:50 AM
Guest-starring: Id!'s Avatar
Guest-starring: Id! is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 3,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
But this is the first time I can recall where a president actively sought to cause harm.
I dunno: the last shutdown, the separation of families at the border, the appointment of judges for (among other things) the eventual repeal of Roe vs. Wade...maybe a couple of other thingies...that might not exactly qualify as harmless.
  #32068  
Old 04-14-2019, 11:52 AM
Nava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 40,910
I think that by "this time" Buck may have been referring to all the shit from the last two years, rather than merely from the last two days. Everything you mention is from Mr There Is Very Fine People On Both Sides.
  #32069  
Old 04-14-2019, 12:40 PM
Kolak of Twilo's Avatar
Kolak of Twilo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edgewater/Chicago
Posts: 3,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
It is increasingly apparent that certain people in the WH want to create the "invasion" narrative. They want something that justifies a massacre of migrants, which I think is only a matter of time considering the tone, the rhetoric, and the policies that have been proposed.
I've said for a while it won't surprise me if they build two fences topped with barbed wire 100 yards apart along the border rather than a wall. Then they can bury land mines in the area between and station machine gun nests every so often. FOX would be able to broadcast the carnage any time "illegals" try to get through. Stephen Miller would cream his pants and the GOP could just say they are protecting our sovereignty from invasion. The MAGAnuts would love it and Trump would be declared President for life. A disturbing number of Dopers would probably endorse and defend such a policy.

Last edited by Kolak of Twilo; 04-14-2019 at 12:42 PM.
  #32070  
Old 04-14-2019, 12:52 PM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 17,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
I'm picturing Kobal at the pearly gates. St. Peter opens the big book and says "Oh, huh, there's a post-it note next to your name. From the big guy. It says 'Let the overbearing fuck in'... and then there's a doodle of... a dickbutt?"
I have a hard time imagining god's meme game to be on point. It's probably the whole god=dad cultural imprint, but I think he'd be the kind of guy that'd think an "All Ur Base" reference is still cool and rad.
That being said, I also expect the following to happen :
- Hey, what the !? Where am I ? What hap... Oh. I'm dead, aren't I ?
- I GREET THEE, DEADAREN'TI. I AM THE LORD THY GOD. *a booming chuckle shakes the clouds, lasting for quite some time* *St Peter just shakes his head, we exchange significant glances, he sighs and shrugs with a "watayagonnado" look*
__________________
--- ---
I'm not sure how to respond to this, but that's never stopped me before.

Last edited by Kobal2; 04-14-2019 at 12:54 PM.
  #32071  
Old 04-14-2019, 01:00 PM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 17,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
So since the civil war has a president ever publicly sought to enact a policy specifically designed to damage regions of the US that don't agree with him? During the civil rights era there have been actions taken to enforce federal law, and some quid pro quo with funding, (if you want highway funds you'll lower your speed limit). But this is the first time I can recall where a president actively sought to cause harm.
That's kind of a big deal, isn't it ? Partisanship's one thing, but no matter how bitter his opposition, Obama (or GWB for that matter) never ceased at least pretending they were the President of *all* of America and were trying to do what was best for everyone, even if some had to be dragged kicking and screaming.
Trump (or Kavanaugh for that matter, which is probably even more worrysome since he's going to last a while) are openly working for Republicans and also to screw the Democrats as much as possible -and I'm not just talking about the usual politics and vote-courting stuff. That's not healthy politics at all.
__________________
--- ---
I'm not sure how to respond to this, but that's never stopped me before.
  #32072  
Old 04-14-2019, 02:07 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 16,624
Sarah Sanders: Congress isn't smart enough to understand Individual 1's taxes.
https://washingtonpress.com/2019/04/...-tax-returns-2
  #32073  
Old 04-14-2019, 04:52 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 15,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Sarah Sanders: Congress isn't smart enough to understand Individual 1's taxes.
https://washingtonpress.com/2019/04/...-tax-returns-2
I guess that means Individual 1 isn't smart enough to understand them either, amirite?
__________________
Nothing is so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength. Saint Francis de Sales
  #32074  
Old 04-14-2019, 05:29 PM
Troy McClure is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 68
I would guess that the only people smart enough to understand them are forensic accountants with experience investigating the mob or shell corporations.
  #32075  
Old 04-14-2019, 07:44 PM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 22,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Sarah Sanders: Congress isn't smart enough to understand Individual 1's taxes.
https://washingtonpress.com/2019/04/...-tax-returns-2

I bet they're smart enough to know that the twerp-in-chief ordering the IRS to not turn them over (assuming he's actually filed the blame things) is a mighty fine way to get the impeachment process started.
  #32076  
Old 04-14-2019, 07:52 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 15,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
I bet they're smart enough to know that the twerp-in-chief ordering the IRS to not turn them over (assuming he's actually filed the blame things) is a mighty fine way to get the impeachment process started.
Dream on. Never happen.
__________________
Nothing is so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength. Saint Francis de Sales
  #32077  
Old 04-14-2019, 08:39 PM
Fugazi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
I guess that means Individual 1 isn't smart enough to understand them either, amirite?
Pshhh. Individual 1 can't understand MY taxes, and I don't itemize.
  #32078  
Old 04-15-2019, 12:24 AM
Isamu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Osaka
Posts: 6,140
I think Trump has gone insane, right? He said he has no idea what wikileaks is. But their are tons of clips of him proclaiming how much he loves wikileaks. He was always a liar but this is too much. Non compos mentis ; he needs to be removed.

Last edited by Isamu; 04-15-2019 at 12:24 AM.
  #32079  
Old 04-15-2019, 12:45 AM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 17,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
I think Trump has gone insane, right? He said he has no idea what wikileaks is. But their are tons of clips of him proclaiming how much he loves wikileaks. He was always a liar but this is too much. Non compos mentis ; he needs to be removed.
He's not insane, he's just trying to gaslight y'all. Plus he knows it doesn't matter one iota what he says. Nobody cares enough to do anything about his routine, blatant, open lying/trolling. He's insulting your collective intelligence, and you guys keep taking it. [Roy Wood Jr.]Like a bitch.[/RWJr]
__________________
--- ---
I'm not sure how to respond to this, but that's never stopped me before.
  #32080  
Old 04-15-2019, 02:38 AM
Nava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 40,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
I have a hard time imagining god's meme game to be on point. It's probably the whole god=dad cultural imprint, but I think he'd be the kind of guy that'd think an "All Ur Base" reference is still cool and rad.
That being said, I also expect the following to happen :
- Hey, what the !? Where am I ? What hap... Oh. I'm dead, aren't I ?
- I GREET THEE, DEADAREN'TI. I AM THE LORD THY GOD. *a booming chuckle shakes the clouds, lasting for quite some time* *St Peter just shakes his head, we exchange significant glances, he sighs and shrugs with a "watayagonnado" look*
I think you might like the José Luis Martín version, but I don't think it's available in French
__________________
Evidence gathered through the use of science is easily dismissed through the use of idiocy. - Czarcasm.
  #32081  
Old 04-15-2019, 05:24 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 8,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
I think Trump has gone insane, right? He said he has no idea what wikileaks is. But their are tons of clips of him proclaiming how much he loves wikileaks. He was always a liar but this is too much. Non compos mentis ; he needs to be removed.
As Kobal says, it's called gaslighting. This is far from the first time that we've had clear, indisputable evidence of him saying something only to have him deny ever saying it. Trump creates his own reality. He had a lot of experience doing this as an entertainer and also by being a real estate scam artist.

And there is no way conservatives are going to remove him because he's doing everything that they want him to do, namely destroying democracy and the federal government's role in providing infrastructure and services to the general public.
  #32082  
Old 04-15-2019, 07:18 AM
carnivorousplant is offline
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Central Arkansas
Posts: 58,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
As Kobal says, it's called gaslighting. This is far from the first time that we've had clear, indisputable evidence of him saying something only to have him deny ever saying it. Trump creates his own reality. He had a lot of experience doing this as an entertainer and also by being a real estate scam artist.
From his business experience, one doesn't call out one's employer when he lies.
  #32083  
Old 04-15-2019, 09:43 AM
Buck Godot's Avatar
Buck Godot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD outside DC
Posts: 5,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
I dunno: the last shutdown, the separation of families at the border, the appointment of judges for (among other things) the eventual repeal of Roe vs. Wade...maybe a couple of other thingies...that might not exactly qualify as harmless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
I think that by "this time" Buck may have been referring to all the shit from the last two years, rather than merely from the last two days. Everything you mention is from Mr There Is Very Fine People On Both Sides.
I was mostly talking about the last two days. Yes Trump, and others, have caused a great deal of harm to the United States but everything in the past had at least a fig leaf of respectability. Yes they want to punish women for having sex, and as far as the splitting up children, that was only targeting non-citizens. The thing that I see that came closest was probably the revocation of the state income tax deduction, but that had at least the window dressing of closing a tax loophole. This is the first example I've seen where a president came out and stated that the purpose of his proposal was to cause damage to a city in the United States. Its just like the Christie highway shut down, but at least Christie had enough of a sense of shame to try to hide it.
  #32084  
Old 04-15-2019, 10:20 AM
DesertDog is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mesa, Ariz.
Posts: 5,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
I guess that means Individual 1 isn't smart enough to understand them either, amirite?
That's why he hires only the best to do them. You know -- the kind of accountant who when asked, "How much is two plus two," leans forward and says quietly, "How much do you want it to be?"
  #32085  
Old 04-15-2019, 10:36 AM
robby's Avatar
robby is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Connecticut, USA
Posts: 5,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
...The thing that I see that came closest was probably the revocation of the state income tax deduction, but that had at least the window dressing of closing a tax loophole.
I'm probably a little oversensitive about this considering the fact that this change is screwing over people like me, but eliminating this deduction was in no way "closing a tax loophole." Eliminating or reducing the deduction means that taxpayers are being taxed on the same income twice.

Until 2018, the SALT deduction has been around as long as there has been a federal income tax (i.e. since 1913).

In fact, there was a time when federal tax rates were so high (a top rate as high as 94% in WWII, and still as high as 70% up through the 1970s), that you could easily have had a situation were the combined tax rate of federal, state, and local taxes could exceed 100%, which makes absolutely no sense. In this situation, it would actually penalize you to make over a certain income.

Which is why is makes sense to be able to deduct the money paid for state and local taxes. You never see the money, and there is nothing you can do to eliminate it (unlike, for example, the deduction for mortgage interest). Why does it make sense to include this in your federal income (or conversely, why shouldn't you be able to deduct this from your income for federal taxes, like you've been able to do for the last 100+ years)?
  #32086  
Old 04-15-2019, 11:25 AM
Typo Negative's Avatar
Typo Negative is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 7th Level of Hell, Ca
Posts: 17,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
I think Trump has gone insane, right? He said he has no idea what wikileaks is. But their are tons of clips of him proclaiming how much he loves wikileaks. He was always a liar but this is too much. Non compos mentis ; he needs to be removed.
He has stated, on camera, that he doesn't stand behind anything he says. Said it to a reporter in the goddamned Oval Office. With a goddamned smirk on his face.
__________________
"God hates Facts"

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
  #32087  
Old 04-15-2019, 12:13 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 15,981
I preferred the other normal to the
one we have
,
What do I know about branding, maybe nothing (but I did become President!), but if I were Boeing, I would FIX the Boeing 737 MAX, add some additional great features, & REBRAND the plane with a new name. No product has suffered like this one. But again, what the hell do I know?
He should probably not be putting that question out there for us.
  #32088  
Old 04-15-2019, 12:33 PM
Vinyl Turnip is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 20,049
Pure genius! Why wouldn't "slap a coat of paint on it and change the name" work as well for commercial aircraft as it does for rattrap apartments?
  #32089  
Old 04-15-2019, 01:02 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 15,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Pure genius! Why wouldn't "slap a coat of paint on it and change the name" work as well for commercial aircraft as it does for rattrap apartments?
And give the planes a name that already has some weight in the marketplace. Like "McDonald's" or "Coca-Cola." Yeah, that's the ticket.
__________________
Nothing is so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength. Saint Francis de Sales
  #32090  
Old 04-15-2019, 01:12 PM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 17,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Pure genius! Why wouldn't "slap a coat of paint on it and change the name" work as well for commercial aircraft as it does for rattrap apartments?
I love that tweet althemore because, aside from the actual commonsense stuff (i.e. "fix what's wrong with the plane"), the rest of the advice boils down to "and just try to deceive your customers". Which is what rebranding boils down to. And that's OK ! It's capitalism, folks, and it works ! And it's the best system there is, because.... something something profit margin ? Possibly ?
__________________
--- ---
I'm not sure how to respond to this, but that's never stopped me before.
  #32091  
Old 04-15-2019, 01:17 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 16,624
Federal judge overturns Individual 1's decree to deport Haitian immigrants. Kuntz said the plaintiffs offered persuasive evidence that the policy change was motivated by ‘‘a discriminatory purpose of removing non-white immigrants to the country.’’
https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nat...DPO/story.html
  #32092  
Old 04-15-2019, 01:27 PM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 22,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Pure genius! Why wouldn't "slap a coat of paint on it and change the name" work as well for commercial aircraft as it does for rattrap apartments?
Well, it worked* for him before:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump_Shuttle

*Meaning: It lasted 3 years until Trump defaulted on the loans. But he did buy a bunch of old airplanes, slapped some paint on them, and called them his own.

Last edited by JohnT; 04-15-2019 at 01:28 PM.
  #32093  
Old 04-15-2019, 02:00 PM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 17,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava
I think you might like the José Luis Martín version, but I don't think it's available in French

I looked it up, but yeah, there doesn't seem to be a translation out there. And I'll be honest, while I still list Spanish as a "spoken" language on my CV because high school, if a joke doesn't hinge on some hilarious variation of "¿Donde esta la zapateria?" or "Yo soy el teniente coronel de la Guardia Civil. ¿Tú, quién eres?", it's going to be lost on me .
__________________
--- ---
I'm not sure how to respond to this, but that's never stopped me before.
  #32094  
Old 04-15-2019, 07:09 PM
jshore is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
I'm probably a little oversensitive about this considering the fact that this change is screwing over people like me, but eliminating this deduction was in no way "closing a tax loophole." Eliminating or reducing the deduction means that taxpayers are being taxed on the same income twice.
You're a little confused...The only known example of income ever being taxed twice is the "death tax" (never mind that much of the income is unrealized capital gains that have never been taxed before the person dies).
  #32095  
Old 04-15-2019, 08:34 PM
El_Kabong's Avatar
El_Kabong is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Smack Dab in the Middle
Posts: 15,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
I love that tweet althemore because, aside from the actual commonsense stuff (i.e. "fix what's wrong with the plane"), the rest of the advice boils down to "and just try to deceive your customers". Which is what rebranding boils down to. And that's OK ! It's capitalism, folks, and it works ! And it's the best system there is, because.... something something profit margin ? Possibly ?
My favorite part was "No product has suffered like this one." More than 350 people dead, and this mook's biggest worry is product reputation. Ah well, to quote a line I heard in a movie once, they bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into.
  #32096  
Old 04-15-2019, 09:46 PM
robby's Avatar
robby is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Connecticut, USA
Posts: 5,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshore View Post
You're a little confused...The only known example of income ever being taxed twice is the "death tax" (never mind that much of the income is unrealized capital gains that have never been taxed before the person dies).
Exactly. We've been listening for years to Republicans bleating that the estate tax (aka the "death tax") constitutes double taxation as if it were the worst thing imaginable (which it really doesn't, as you state), and the first thing they do when they get unified control of the government is to institute an actual double taxation scheme (that just happens to also preferentially impact blue states to a large extent).

...And which also increases the deficit and the national debt (because of the massive tax breaks for corporations and wealthy individuals), despite the fact that supposedly fiscally responsible people like Paul Ryan spent most of their careers "proselytizing about the danger of budget deficits and the national debt." The hypocrisy is truly stunning.
  #32097  
Old 04-15-2019, 10:18 PM
Procrustus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pacific NW. ¥
Posts: 11,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
I'm probably a little oversensitive about this considering the fact that this change is screwing over people like me, but eliminating this deduction was in no way "closing a tax loophole." Eliminating or reducing the deduction means that taxpayers are being taxed on the same income twice.
It could be worse. My clients are getting taxed on my income. Imagine a non personal injury case I have on contigency fee. I work really hard and earn my 33% fee. My client is happy we prevailed and is happy with my fee.

However, due to tax laws I don't understand, she has to pay taxes on the entire $100,000. I have to pay taxes on $33,000. She can't deduct the amount she pays me as an expense.
  #32098  
Old 04-15-2019, 10:22 PM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
My favorite part was "No product has suffered like this one." More than 350 people dead, and this mook's biggest worry is product reputation. Ah well, to quote a line I heard in a movie once, they bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into.
I thought it was going to be a parody tweet, making fun of Trump's whole, "No President has ever suffered more than me!" schtick.

I assume that he wrote it himself as a parody of himself.

Ah, Trump, if only you had other talents than hamming it up....
  #32099  
Old 04-16-2019, 07:48 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
It could be worse. My clients are getting taxed on my income. Imagine a non personal injury case I have on contigency fee. I work really hard and earn my 33% fee. My client is happy we prevailed and is happy with my fee.

However, due to tax laws I don't understand, she has to pay taxes on the entire $100,000. I have to pay taxes on $33,000. She can't deduct the amount she pays me as an expense.
That's ridiculous.

I guess it's a good illustration of the fact that the right really, really does not like trial lawyers---they'd make being a trial lawyer illegal if they could. For now they're contenting themselves with treating you unfairly in tax law.
  #32100  
Old 04-16-2019, 08:56 PM
carnivorousplant is offline
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Central Arkansas
Posts: 58,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
That's ridiculous.

I guess it's a good illustration of the fact that the right really, really does not like trial lawyers---they'd make being a trial lawyer illegal if they could. For now they're contenting themselves with treating you unfairly in tax law.
She pays tax on her income, and then pays you. That is like complaining that the folks I work for pay taxes, and then I pay taxes on the money I make from them. Get your clients more money.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017