Old 06-19-2019, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Fair enough, but I'm curious if she had changed her name as well, would you struggle to remember to call her by her new name?
I dunno. She's the only person I've known both before and after transitioning. I hope not, but I dunno.

The key point is that, I mess up, and that's my problem to handle.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:55 AM

nm

Last edited by Zeke N. Destroi; 06-19-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
You can support the validity of a trans personís experience, without necessarily buying into their theory about why they have that experience.
This is the "say it louder for the folks in back" takeaway in these discussions. For a long time, I questioned the "reality" of how transgender folks perceive their gender, but quickly realized the best approach was to validate their feelings and not force them to justify themselves (unless that was explicitly the context of a willing discussion).

And, over time, my own thinking evolved to recognize the greater nuance and fuzziness of these terms and perceptions. I also better recognized the intense pressure, discomfort, and fear that many/most transgender folks are living with and that contributing to those challenges was worth avoiding even if I found myself occasionally mildly discomforted.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:02 PM

The attack helicopter meme is an insult of trans people so if a student demanded to be treated as an attack helicopter, I'd say "shut up, little bigot" because it is only an insult and has literally never been anything else. And you're asking "what if this insulting parody wasn't a parody at all?" Thanks for that.

What trans people are actually demanding would be called manners if it were meant for anyone else but since it's directed at a vulnerable group, it gets labelled "politically correct". And virtually none of you even know a trans person and might meet one once in your life, so you can't act like they're imposing some undue burden because you have to remember the right pronoun like you would for someone's pet. You don't ACTUALLY have students in your class identifying as trees and mailboxes. So I dunno maybe you don't mean it but maybe you could see how it's irritating when your "sincere question" is just the transphobic meme rephrased

And even if you are just asking an sincere question, because I can't give you like a logical proof of why the attack helicopter shouldn't count except for common sense like "I think it's disingenuous", then it makes both cases sound absurd.

If I had a boy in my class and they asked to be called by a girl's name, the only reason I wouldn't do it automatically is if I thought they were making a joke at trans' expense. It's way too hard to tell who's joking because the memers make the absurd shit seem genuine and the genuine shit seem absurd. I suppose I'd do it and confirm it with their parent.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walmarticus View Post
The attack helicopter meme is an insult of trans people so if a student demanded to be treated as an attack helicopter, I'd say "shut up, little bigot" because it is only an insult and has literally never been anything else. And you're asking "what if this insulting parody wasn't a parody at all?" Thanks for that.
By the way, are we seriously going to tolerate people... y'know... doing this?

Like, really? Going full "I identify as an attack helicopter why are you being bigoted against me" isn't against the rules here? If not: why the fuck not?

I cosign basically everything about this post.