Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151  
Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM
Blank Slate Blank Slate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,548
I wonder what happened to all the great baseball writers at the New York Times. I guess they just got old and were put out to pasture. Here's what it's like now:

Hai guys, here's a great idea: Trade Aaron Judge for Noah Syndergaard and Jacob deGrom!

OK, so now they're going for clickbait. But I was just reading a brief article about Manny Machado that included this gem:

Quote:
... He is also not known as a gloveman, making more than his share of errors at third and short. But with the offensive power he brings, most teams would overlook that.


As for the all-star game, it was fun watching the players have fun. This place is really fuddy-duddy...OMG, they took selfies. Some of them even had tats!
  #152  
Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM
Paintcharge Paintcharge is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: 10 sq miles of reality
Posts: 1,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
Last night was the first All Star game in which I did not see a single pitch. My 8 year old self would be in disbelief, but honestly, I don't even miss it. And my team was well represented, the Red Sox had 5 guys on the roster.

As I get older, and as professional sports continue to evolve, I think Seinfeld was right all along. We're just rooting for laundry. I mean, I still enjoy going to games and watching on TV because I love baseball. But my rooting interest has dampened considerably, which is sad because that is what got me to love baseball in the first place.
I'm curious. I'm a Sox fan too, and I find my interest has waned over the years, but I wonder if that would be the case had the Sox not "broken the curse?"

I'm in my 40's, so I remember the past heartbreaks with the team, hearing stories of the older ones from my Dad and Grand parents. Sox games used to have a much more important feel to them. I still watch, but no longer will mess up my day if they don't win.
  #153  
Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM
Asimovian Asimovian is offline
The Zeroeth Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 11,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
But I was just reading a brief article about Manny Machado that included this gem:
Quote:
... He is also not known as a gloveman, making more than his share of errors at third and short. But with the offensive power he brings, most teams would overlook that.
Yeah, that guy sucks on defense. The Orioles really ought to lower their asks to the Dodgers for someone who rates so poorly on the other side of the ball. <cough>

Quote:
As for the all-star game, it was fun watching the players have fun. This place is really fuddy-duddy...OMG, they took selfies. Some of them even had tats!
Agreed. MLB's version of the ASG still looks the most like the real competition as compared to hockey, basketball and football, and it's not a close call. Whatever antics are happening peripherally, each pitcher and each batter is actually trying to win that match-up. Is the game important? No, not at all. But it's still kind of entertaining.

Last edited by Asimovian; Yesterday at 09:50 AM. Reason: Fun with embedded quotes!
  #154  
Old Yesterday, 10:07 AM
ElvisL1ves ElvisL1ves is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 46,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
Last night was the first All Star game in which I did not see a single pitch.
I gave up on it a long time ago. It used to be interesting to see the best players from The Other League that never came to your town, but with interleague play and everything on cable, that attraction isn't there anymore. It did used to seem that the players took bragging rights seriously and played the game straight up, even if the managers had to get everyone in like in tee ball, but not so much anymore.

What I think turned me off finally was the Home Run Derby. That emphasized that it's all for show, not a real game, and the players think so too (selfies on-base during the game? Really?).

I don't bother with other sports' ASG's either.
  #155  
Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM
asahi asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 6,054
I basically tuned out. I watched parts of the first inning, but regular season baseball is competing with so many other things on TV it's just hard to follow now. I keep up with the standings and catch the occasional game on TV at a bar on an odd summer night in July or August, but that's it. Playoffs are as good as they've ever been, though.
  #156  
Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM
RickJay RickJay is offline
Charter Jays Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Oakville, Canada
Posts: 39,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asimovian View Post
Yeah, that guy sucks on defense. The Orioles really ought to lower their asks to the Dodgers for someone who rates so poorly on the other side of the ball. <cough>
Machado is a very good third baseman. He is a bad shortstop. He doesn't make many errors, but his primary strength is his arm. At short he lacks the third-step range you need to cover enough ground.

Given more time, maybe he could get good at it, largely by adopting a Cal Ripken approach of playing ludicrously deep, but he arm isn't THAT good - Ripken had as good an arm as anyone who ever played the infield.
__________________
Providing useless posts since 1999!
  #157  
Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM
Asimovian Asimovian is offline
The Zeroeth Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 11,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Turbo View Post
Josh Hader had a very bad night. He gave up a three run homer, and then things got worse...

Offensive tweets by Brewers pitcher Josh Hader surfaced during the All-Star Game
"Major League Baseball announced today that it will require Brewers pitcher Josh Hader to undergo sensitivity training and to participate in the league’s “diversity and inclusion initiatives.” The determination came down quickly, after it emerged last night — in the midst of the All-Star Game — that Hader had sent a variety of offensive tweets before he became a professional baseball player." | Link |
  #158  
Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM
Barkis is Willin' Barkis is Willin' is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintcharge View Post
I'm curious. I'm a Sox fan too, and I find my interest has waned over the years, but I wonder if that would be the case had the Sox not "broken the curse?"

I'm in my 40's, so I remember the past heartbreaks with the team, hearing stories of the older ones from my Dad and Grand parents. Sox games used to have a much more important feel to them. I still watch, but no longer will mess up my day if they don't win.
That's a fair question. I think I'd still be less invested at this point because I've lost some level of rooting interest in other sports, too. And again, it's not like I'm completely disinterested. But the Red Sox on TV used to be appointment television for me (I don't get NESN). Now, I just catch highlights on my phone from time to time.
  #159  
Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM
dalej42 dalej42 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 12,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asimovian View Post
"Major League Baseball announced today that it will require Brewers pitcher Josh Hader to undergo sensitivity training and to participate in the league’s “diversity and inclusion initiatives.” The determination came down quickly, after it emerged last night — in the midst of the All-Star Game — that Hader had sent a variety of offensive tweets before he became a professional baseball player." | Link |
It seems a bit silly based on tweets from high school. However, I'm surprised his agent didn't make sure a complete social media review was done when he signed.
  #160  
Old Yesterday, 12:39 PM
kenobi 65 kenobi 65 is online now
Corellian Nerfherder
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Brookfield, IL
Posts: 11,727
I watched the ASG last night (though, admittedly, I was multitasking, and not paying 100% attention to it). Granted, it's essentially an exhibition game, but it started to feel, to me, like a video game: half of the 20 hits in the game were home runs, all but one run scored via a HR, and there were 25 strikeouts. It was a microcosm of how the game has changed -- as quoted on SI.com:

Quote:
'Standard operation nowadays, right?'' said AL manager A.J. Hinch of Houston. ''We're going to homer and punch out as an industry.''
Home runs are cool, yes. But, I feel like the old guy, shaking my cane at the yoots, when I bemoan the loss of "small ball" in the game.
  #161  
Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM
madsircool madsircool is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
It seems a bit silly based on tweets from high school. However, I'm surprised his agent didn't make sure a complete social media review was done when he signed.
Haders gonna hate.

I agree his agent is negligent. What a horrible way to end a fun night.

For those who chose not to watch the ASG you missed a fun back and forth game.
  #162  
Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM
madsircool madsircool is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asimovian View Post
Quiet! You'll jinx it!
Unless they sign Machado to a long-term contract, Dodger fans should hope it does fall through. Combined with the package they sent to Texas for Darvish, its a serious depletion of their farm system.
  #163  
Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM
madsircool madsircool is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
I watched the ASG last night (though, admittedly, I was multitasking, and not paying 100% attention to it). Granted, it's essentially an exhibition game, but it started to feel, to me, like a video game: half of the 20 hits in the game were home runs, all but one run scored via a HR, and there were 25 strikeouts. It was a microcosm of how the game has changed -- as quoted on SI.com:



Home runs are cool, yes. But, I feel like the old guy, shaking my cane at the yoots, when I bemoan the loss of "small ball" in the game.
When both teams are filled with elite hitters I guess the outcome could have been expected...especially as they got to the back of the bullpens.

Perhaps if pitchers concentrated on adding changeups to their repitoire, they may mess with hitter timing and give up less HRs. Seems like pitchers concentrate of fastballs and sliders.
  #164  
Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM
ElvisL1ves ElvisL1ves is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 46,770
Sometimes you gotta make the deal if you really want that trophy. It's better than always being pretty good but never good enough.
  #165  
Old Yesterday, 01:15 PM
Gray Ghost Gray Ghost is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
It seems a bit silly based on tweets from high school. However, I'm surprised his agent didn't make sure a complete social media review was done when he signed.
This. He sent them when he was 17, and he's how old now? 24 or so? Is he sending tweets like that now? Apologize and move on. Sensitivity courses sound like overkill; from the MLB/MiLB players I've personally met, you'd have to send most of them to re-education.

Really surprised that he's the only one from the social media generation that's had ugly tweets turn up so far.
  #166  
Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM
Asimovian Asimovian is offline
The Zeroeth Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 11,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Unless they sign Machado to a long-term contract, Dodger fans should hope it does fall through. Combined with the package they sent to Texas for Darvish, its a serious depletion of their farm system.
Unless Corey Seager gets hit by a bus, I don't think the Dodgers have any intention of utilizing Machado's services beyond this season.
  #167  
Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM
Rick Kitchen Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 15,033
Oh, good, even more reason to root against the Dodgers.
  #168  
Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM
Rick Kitchen Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 15,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
The All-Star game is a joke and it started with the tie many years ago. Taking selfies on the field and talking to players while the ball is in play. Cartoon bullshit. It used to be serious and for league pride.
Have you ever watched the NFL All Star Game?

Last edited by Rick Kitchen; Yesterday at 02:03 PM.
  #169  
Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM
Barkis is Willin' Barkis is Willin' is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
This. He sent them when he was 17, and he's how old now? 24 or so? Is he sending tweets like that now? Apologize and move on. Sensitivity courses sound like overkill; from the MLB/MiLB players I've personally met, you'd have to send most of them to re-education.

Really surprised that he's the only one from the social media generation that's had ugly tweets turn up so far.
MLB had to do something. They couldn't just ignore it. I mean, he apparently did use the N word in one of the tweets. That said, I think a suspension would have been a bit much for such an old transgression. Mandated sensitivity training seems about right.
  #170  
Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM
Asimovian Asimovian is offline
The Zeroeth Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 11,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
I mean, he apparently did use the N word in one of the tweets.
Three of them, actually. Screen apps of all of the tweets in question are in this article. And there was at least one I saw referenced in the originally posted article that isn't in this one.
  #171  
Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM
Blank Slate Blank Slate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,548
A shocking tweet made five years ago by Aaron Judge has also emerged.
  #172  
Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM
Gray Ghost Gray Ghost is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
MLB had to do something. They couldn't just ignore it. I mean, he apparently did use the N word in one of the tweets. That said, I think a suspension would have been a bit much for such an old transgression. Mandated sensitivity training seems about right.
Why couldn't they just ignore it? Or make the usual statement, "We deplore such views, those views he held then aren't the views then or now of MLB or his team or him at the present time, yadda, yadda. He tearfully regrets his thoughtless words that have caused so many, so much pain." You get the idea.

He was an asshole. At 17. When he wasn't an employee of MLB. Many of us were assholes at 17. Are we going to mandate that employers should punish people for things they foolishly wrote on their social media---like here, for instance---7 years prior? For crying out loud, the word "nigger" is practically used as a condiment in much of the music people, including athletes like him, listen to. And from artists that MLB has no problem using to promote their industry. It is an ugly word, one that people should not use to describe other people---despite the current reality noted above---and, again, he is an asshole for having used it in the context that he did. No one though, AFAIK, is saying that he is saying the word that way now.

Again, tell him to apologize---or really, tell the Savonarolas of the social justice industry to just fuck off already---but mandated re-education courses? It's overkill. Feel free to suspend him, a la the Astros's Yuli Guriel getting suspended for making a racial gesture concerning an opposing player, if he's classless enough to make those statements now though.
  #173  
Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM
Barkis is Willin' Barkis is Willin' is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,746
If MLB just ignores it, or even if they just make a statement condemning it, they open themselves up to a lot of criticism. Any mention of the N word in 2018 (even if it was years ago) is a big deal. Sending the guy to sensitivity class isn't going to hurt anyone.
  #174  
Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM
Asimovian Asimovian is offline
The Zeroeth Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 11,441
I wouldn't ignore the other tweets, either. A sport that sponsors "Pride" nights all over the league probably doesn't want to have one of its players saying, "I really hate gay people" without providing some sort of response.
  #175  
Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM
dalej42 dalej42 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 12,797
I guess requiring him to go to some sensitivity class can be seen as his punishment for not having enough common sense to go back and delete high school tweets. I’m pretty sure someone from his agent’s office and/or the team would have mentioned social media and being careful with what you say.
  #176  
Old Today, 09:57 AM
ElvisL1ves ElvisL1ves is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 46,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
He was an asshole. At 17.
And he may still be. It can take a while to clear the poison from your system. The training might do him good, and it at least couldn't hurt.

But it's still being done so MLB can look like it's doing something, no question.
  #177  
Old Today, 12:33 PM
dalej42 dalej42 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 12,797
Cubs vs Cardinals in the only MLB game tonight. It's a tough stretch for the Cubs with 8 games against the Cards and 4 against the D-backs with no days off, and that includes a day night doubleheader this Saturday. But, that is 9 consecutive games at Wrigley and then 3 in St. Louis before their next day off.

MLB was not scheduling any games on Thursday after the All Star Break for a few years, but I guess that's been somewhat eliminated with the new scheduling format.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017