Old 07-14-2015, 09:26 AM

Mr. Robot on USA network

Anybody else watching?

It's a new suspense series on USA starring Rami Malek, probably best known to date for his role as Pharaoh Akmenrah in the Night at the Museum movies.

Malek's character is an introverted cyber security technician by day, and a vigilante hacker by night. He is recruited by an anarchist group lead by Christian Slater as Mr. Robot.

I've only watched the first episode, but it seems very promising, and Malek is very good in this role.

Series has a 97% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

I've been watching it. They've broadcast a couple more episodes than you've seen, so I don't want to say too much more in case I spoil anything for you. I watch most of the shows on USA and most of them are stupid (e.g., Suits, Royal Pains, etc). So far this is not that stupid.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:05 AM

Elliot Alderson (the lead character) is a terrorist, blackmailer, dognapper, and an emotional basket case. When he's not hearing voices in his head, he stares at people. The show itself, *Mr Robot*, seems to be a homage to V for Vendetta masks and OWS scum. IMHO, of course. On the plus side, the show can only get better ('cause it couldn't get any worse).
Old 07-14-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
Anybody else watching?

It's a new suspense series on USA starring Rami Malek, probably best known to date for his role as Pharaoh Akmenrah in the Night at the Museum movies.

Malek's character is an introverted cyber security technician by day, and a vigilante hacker by night. He is recruited by an anarchist group lead by Christian Slater as Mr. Robot.

I've only watched the first episode, but it seems very promising, and Malek is very good in this role.

Series has a 97% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
I love it. I watched the first three episodes this weekend, and I can't wait to watch more. I was skeptical of all the hype, but it's worth it.

It seems different than the usual USA show, it's darker and not a procedural.

It's apparently fairly accurate with the hacking stuff from what I've read online. Not perfect, but in the ballpark, and miles better than hacking on most TV shows.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:43 AM

I've liked it so far--I'm up to Episode 3--but now I don't know. It's turning into something dark and depressing, and there's enough dark and depressing to go around without that. I'll probably check out Episode 4 but I'm not sure I'll keep on watching.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorhinge View Post
Elliot Alderson (the lead character) is a terrorist, blackmailer, dognapper, and an emotional basket case.
You left off drug addict. And, depending on how you interpret certain interactions, possibly schizophrenic.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:26 PM

It's alright. The leads good, and the realisticish hacking stuff is fun. The Mr Robot character is the weakest part of the show though. Since they seem to be telegraphing a fairly obvious twist with that character anyways, I wish they'd get it over with soon so that maybe they can develop him into something less annoying / non-sensical.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:40 PM

The hacking stuff is more accurate than most TV shows.

The drug stuff is somewhat accurate - at least better than Nurse Jackie where she :

1) Spells "Oxycodone" wrong (or maybe it was "OxyContin" - which would be even worse as no addict would prefer OxyContin over Oxycodone)
2) Calls in a fake script for said drug - which wouldn't work as you need a physical script for all schedule II drugs unless you are in the small minority of places that have a special dual authenticated computer system which isn't what they were portraying.
3) She "overhears" a doc using their DEA number - which she wouldn't need to do if she worked at the hospital - it's not a password and most doctors write it on every script.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:16 PM
BANNED

I like it. It's got a dark antihero who isn't a good guy. The story line is one continuous arc. It's just - better. It feels a lot more realistic, even if it does have elements that aren't.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:27 PM

Getting a strong Fight Club vibe.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:48 PM

Did anyone else think "Enron" when seeing that logo?
Old 07-14-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataX View Post
Did anyone else think "Enron" when seeing that logo?
Yea, its definatley modelled after the Enron logo. I imagine they figure Enron's dead enough that they don't have to worry about a lawsuit.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:00 PM
BANNED

It's also very similar to the "E" in the Dell logo - almost exactly the same, actually. I just checked (I have a Dell monitor so the logo is right in my field of view. The "E" on the Dell logo is tilted over slightly more)

Apparently, in the universe of Mr. Robot, evilcorp is Google, Apple, Dell, and Bank of America all rolled up into one giant unstoppable conglomerate. If all of those companies were one monopolistic behemoth in our world, I think it would end up being pretty evil as well...

Last edited by Habeed; 07-14-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Just finishing the first episode and to me it looks like Dexter Does DOS.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Just finishing the first episode and to me it looks like Dexter Does DOS.
Is that a good or a bad thing? Dexter was fantastic for several earlier seasons.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

Well, I watched the first three episodes now and:

SPOILER:
I'm starting to get the empty feeling that the Slater character will turn out to be imaginary. I watched for any time he interacted with a third character, and the only time I can find was a scene where the female hacker was talking to him, though it's ambiguous since Eliot was standing directly behind him, and thus from her perspective she might have been talking to Eliot. The appletini bit in the bar is a strong indicator, I feel.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Well, I watched the first three episodes now and:

SPOILER:
I'm starting to get the empty feeling that the Slater character will turn out to be imaginary. I watched for any time he interacted with a third character, and the only time I can find was a scene where the female hacker was talking to him, though it's ambiguous since Eliot was standing directly behind him, and thus from her perspective she might have been talking to Eliot. The appletini bit in the bar is a strong indicator, I feel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
Getting a strong Fight Club vibe.
Hmmmmm!
Old 07-15-2015, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Yes, I cheerfully acknowledge that DigitalC made the point before me, and indeed there was an entire season of Dexter with a similar angle, and now that I'm alert to it and watching for it, it'll actually be slightly surprising if the idea turns out to be wrong.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:21 AM

Yeah the scene with Mr Robot in the Allsafe office pretty much confirmed that for me.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:15 PM

For me it was when Mr Robot started giving orders to the rest of Fsociety and he stood in the same place Eliott had been standing a second before while Eliott faded into the background.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Shocking twist: Mr. Robot is real, E Corp is imaginary.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:10 PM

It's interesting that AMC has a new series called Humans which is all about robots, and USA has Mr. Robot which isn't.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:30 PM

After tonight's episode, I think Mr Robot being a figment of Elliot's imagination isn't really supposed to be a twist exactly. I think they expect the audience to realize that, with all the talk of daemons and such and the moment when someone finally interacts with Slater but it turns out to be in a fever dream. Have we ever seen what Elliot's father looked like? I bet we will see a photo of him at some point and it'll be Christian Slater.

I love the episode titles btw.

Last edited by Eyebrows 0f Doom; 07-15-2015 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
After tonight's episode, I think Mr Robot being a figment of Elliot's imagination isn't really supposed to be a twist exactly. I think they expect the audience to realize that, with all the talk of daemons and such and the moment when someone finally interacts with Slater but it turns out to be in a fever dream. Have we ever seen what Elliot's father looked like? I bet we will see a photo of him at some point and it'll be Christian Slater.

I love the episode titles btw.
Yea, I think having a "reveal" moment would make it too derivative of Fight Club, so I like the idea of just never addressing it, and letting the audience figure it out.

That said, now that Mr Robot is a hallucination, they really could do to develop the other hackers more. Black nay-sayer hacker and party girl hacker were pretty annoying in this episode, and the others barely get any speaking time.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicio View Post
Yea, I think having a "reveal" moment would make it too derivative of Fight Club, so I like the idea of just never addressing it, and letting the audience figure it out.

That said, now that Mr Robot is a hallucination, they really could do to develop the other hackers more. Black nay-sayer hacker and party girl hacker were pretty annoying in this episode, and the others barely get any speaking time.
In the latest episode, Mr. Robot and the nay-sayer seem to speak directly to each other, talking about what to do about Elliot, but it's while Elliot is in withdrawal, so maybe it's still unreliable narration.

Dream sequences often seem like a waste of time on shows, but I thought the one last night was really well done. And I'm sure has lots of Easter eggs to spot.

I did love the two hackers watching Hackers on TV while Elliot was in bed. And I liked party girl and the other girl hacker together.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

The other great thing about this show is that it has a definite sense of style. The camera shots, the lighting, the music (the soundtrack!), the voiceover, they all form a coherent whole that's very cinematic and stakes out its own ground among what's on TV right now. I'm in, and it would have to have a pretty huge drop in quality to lose me before at least the end of the season.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Lowry View Post
In the latest episode, Mr. Robot and the nay-sayer seem to speak directly to each other, talking about what to do about Elliot, but it's while Elliot is in withdrawal, so maybe it's still unreliable narration.
I don't think so, i think the nay sayer was speaking to the fat guy, the camera was just focused on mr robot. It was him and the other guy who left after that convo wasn't it?
Old 07-17-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
I don't think so, i think the nay sayer was speaking to the fat guy, the camera was just focused on mr robot. It was him and the other guy who left after that convo wasn't it?
I think it was purposely ambiguous. It looked like naysayer asked Robot what they were going to do, and then told Robot to make sure Elliot drinks the remedy. Naysayer could have been talking to the other hacker, but when naysayer and the other hacker left, there was no one else for him to be talking to about getting Elliot to drink the remedy. Unless he was telling Elliot to be sure to drink the remedy, but he didn't seem to be more talking about Elliot than to him.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:05 AM
BANNED

Wow this show is really good, anyone still watching it?

Possibly the most accurate portrayal of hacking and computers yet seen, there are no glaring headbangers in the dialogue or props. The dumbest thing yet was hacking a prison so all the cell doors open at once.

I love how dark it is, this is a seriously cynical and dark show and almost all characters are horrible people. It has a silly corporations are evil vibe but I can go with it, I love the black humor.

They are really playing with the unreliable narrator in Elliot, at this point I'm wondering if Mr Robot being a delusion is not a red herring, in the latest episode he interacts with people directly without Elliot present. But it is still possible Elliot is imagining himself as him, I'm wondering just what is real and how much of the show or even multiple characters are delusions.

It is basically Fight Club the show but I'm loving it!
Old 08-12-2015, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Have we ever seen what Elliot's father looked like? I bet we will see a photo of him at some point and it'll be Christian Slater.
Called that one.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:22 PM

I just got through episode 4. I usually hate shows with cobspiracy thories and ambiguous reality, but I'm completely hooked on this one.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grude View Post
They are really playing with the unreliable narrator in Elliot, at this point I'm wondering if Mr Robot being a delusion is not a red herring, in the latest episode he interacts with people directly without Elliot present. But it is still possible Elliot is imagining himself as him, I'm wondering just what is real and how much of the show or even multiple characters are delusions.

It is basically Fight Club the show but I'm loving it!
Yeah, a movie can hit you with a twist like that because you only have a couple hours to process all the information. Everyone who watched Fight Club a second time was shocked at how many clues they dropped about what was really going on. We just didn't have the benefit of discussing it week after week on a message board. When Elliot tells Mr Robot about his father tossing him out a window and Mr Robot sides with his dad and throws him over the edge... that's a suicide attempt, it really can't be anything else.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Called that one.
Yeah, him being Elliot's dad was foreshadowed, but Darlene being Elliot's sister took me by surprise. But now her behavior in earlier episodes makes more sense; as a random hacker that he just met she seemed obnoxious, but as an overbearing sister concerned about him she makes sense.

I'm intrigued to see what happens next. I don't quite understand the hacking plan they have, but it'll be interesting what they do there. And I have no idea what Tyrell is going to do next, and scared to see what his wife is capable of.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:34 AM
BANNED

My take on this....

Elliot's mental issues are a smokescreen, something else is going on.

In the latest episode Tyrell met with Mr Robot, either a real person or Elliot this has yet to be revealed. Tyrell had some kind of epiphany.

The E corp hack is going to succeed but not be really important, it childish to imagine taking down one creditor and their backups will bring down society.

Guessing the whole E corp hack, White Rose dark army thing is a manipulation for the real eventual plot(This can't go on forever, and neither can Elliots real or fake dilemma).
Old 08-14-2015, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

I'm not clear on how Elliott is supposed to have "forgotten" that Darlene is his sister and Mr Robot is his father. Is he an amnesiac or is he just mentally ill? And how come Mr Robot never greeted him as his father?
Old 08-14-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I'm not clear on how Elliott is supposed to have "forgotten" that Darlene is his sister and Mr Robot is his father. Is he an amnesiac or is he just mentally ill? And how come Mr Robot never greeted him as his father?
I think he's mentally ill, though I don't know what specific type of mental illness he would have.

It seems the possibilities regarding Mr. Robot are the following:
  1. Mr. Robot is Elliot's alive dad
  2. Mr. Robot is a Tyler Durden type figure who Elliot made look like his dad
  3. Mr. Robot is actually the real person and Elliot the fake projection
  4. Something else

Number 1 seems possible. It could be that he faked his death, or that it's actually Elliot's mom who died, and we thought it was his dad because Elliot is a unreliable narrator. Number 2 seems the most likely with how things have been filmed, and how Mr. Robot seems to show up at convenient times and places. Number 3 seems pretty unlikely to me, but I've seen it speculated on various sites. And of course, there could be some other curveball that's thrown at us.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

If the first option is the correct one, surely Elliott's dad would have said something to him to express concern about his mental illness.

Basically, the "unreliable narrator" seems an excuse for an inconsistent storyline, and a mind-fuck of the viewer. I'm not sure I like it.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Lowry View Post
I think he's mentally ill, though I don't know what specific type of mental illness he would have.

It seems the possibilities regarding Mr. Robot are the following:
  1. Mr. Robot is Elliot's alive dad
  2. Mr. Robot is a Tyler Durden type figure who Elliot made look like his dad
  3. Mr. Robot is actually the real person and Elliot the fake projection
  4. Something else

Number 1 seems possible. It could be that he faked his death, or that it's actually Elliot's mom who died, and we thought it was his dad because Elliot is a unreliable narrator. Number 2 seems the most likely with how things have been filmed, and how Mr. Robot seems to show up at convenient times and places. Number 3 seems pretty unlikely to me, but I've seen it speculated on various sites. And of course, there could be some other curveball that's thrown at us.
I think 1 and 2 are still on the table, 3 can't be possible because of Angela.

Didn't Elliot mention his mom beat him so bad he ended up in the hospital with BRAIN DAMAGE in an earlier episode? Did I imagine this? Am I real?

Elliot's missing mom is a giant red flag though, who raised Darlene?

Last edited by grude; 08-14-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grude View Post
In the latest episode Tyrell met with Mr Robot, either a real person or Elliot this has yet to be revealed. Tyrell had some kind of epiphany.
He met Mr Robot and then went home and talked to his wife about what he saw Elliot doing, what he thought a petty revenge plot (framing Colby) was actually much bigger. That was a pretty big hint he met Elliot, not Mr Robot.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:00 AM

I just started watching this show and it is really deep. Very well done. Very much over my head.

I feel like I will have to watch each episode several times to begin to understand what is going on.

Just to be clear, I really like it.

But can anyone tell me why he destroyed that man's life the way he did at the beginning of the first episode? Did he just despise people who engage in child pornography? If so, is that because he was somehow abused as a child?

I'm just trying to understand what is going on.

But I really love having found a show that is a lot smarter than I am. It's great to be challenged like this.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:02 AM

My wife and I tried this a few days ago (in our search for new series to binge-watch); while the premise sounded interesting, and the reviews almost all positive, it didn't really work for us. We managed the first episode and then quit. Perhaps we didn't give it enough time... Our issues were that

...the main character is boring. Despite being antisocial, clever, slightly weird-looking, drug-addicted, borderline crazy, etc.. - we weren't interested in him.

...almost all of the other characters were obsessed with making friends with or connecting with this guy: his old friend (the blonde one) from his office, the aforementioned's new boyfriend, the promiscuous drug dealer, his gay boss, the suit guy who talks to him about computers - they all continually reached out to him personally - this seemed unrealistic. People who are not interesting or charismatic do not have people constantly trying to make friends (or have sex) with them.

...the story was dull. A hacker works for an IT firm, and is sort-of recruited by a group of hackers to do hacking stuff. This didn't work for us as an exposition.

All of this said, TV shows can grow on people - maybe we should have given it more of a chance.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:13 AM

MrLee,

I appreciate your honesty and I can certainly see the validity of the points you made.

But for some reason, none of those points seem to have made the same impact on me.

I just watched another ten minutes of this show and my opinion of the show has just been catapulted from "a really good show" to "a fabulous jaw-dropping show". Why?

It started with this line, "Even though this guy is the Chief Technology Officer for one of the world's largest technical corporations, he owns a Blackberry".

I guess you have to have had some experience with a Blackberry and a different kind of smart phone to love that line. But I just about fell off my chair when I heard that. I always thought I was the only person who seemed to think that Blackberrys obviously suck. But my heart was gladddened to learn that someone else feels the same way.

I now don't have to be afraid to come out of the closet and say that Blackberrys have always been (In my opinion) a real stupid approach to smart phones and most every other kind of smart phone is clearly superior to Blackberrys. I just loved that line.

It was followed by two other wonderful lines. The first was something like this:

"Even though he is the VP of technology, This guy was obviously a moron - an arrogant moron, too - the very worst kind of moron." I can't explain why that line made my heart soar. I guess it's because I have met quite a few arrogant morons in high positions and found they were the worst kind of morons.

What a wonderful show this is proving to be. I've only watched 20 minutes of the first episode and I am in love with this show now.

But, I will try to put a lid on it and not post anymore. At least until I have finished watching the entire first episode.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:35 AM

We've had up to episode 4 here, so some of the stuff here is spoilerish (not fazed myself, but someone new to the show might be) and so far I'm loving it. Rami Malek is great in it.

And he's the gay neighbour kid from The War at Home, for me...
Old 08-27-2015, 06:16 AM

There have been 9 or 10 episodes broadcast so far.

I'm not sure how to handle spoiler type info. I assume that everything up to and including Episode 4 can be freely discussed and will not spoil anything for anyone.

Am I correct in assuming that anything contained in Epi 5 or beyond must be discussed in spoiler boxes?

Can anyone explain to me how to handles spoiler type info? What should I do to prevent spoiling the show for anyone?

Finally, assuming that ten episodes have been broadcast so far, I would have guessed that it would be OK to discuss anything that ocurred in Epis 1 thru 9. Why do we need to keeps so many epis under wraps in this thread?
Old 08-27-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Wayne View Post
There have been 9 or 10 episodes broadcast so far.

I'm not sure how to handle spoiler type info. I assume that everything up to and including Episode 4 can be freely discussed and will not spoil anything for anyone.

Am I correct in assuming that anything contained in Epi 5 or beyond must be discussed in spoiler boxes?

Can anyone explain to me how to handles spoiler type info? What should I do to prevent spoiling the show for anyone?

Finally, assuming that ten episodes have been broadcast so far, I would have guessed that it would be OK to discuss anything that ocurred in Epis 1 thru 9. Why do we need to keeps so many epis under wraps in this thread?
You don't need to keep anything under wraps in this thread. This is the thread about Mr Robot. All episodes (1-8) except the finale (ep 9) have aired (because that was supposed to be on last night but was postponed until next week) so all aired episodes can be discussed openly.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You don't need to keep anything under wraps in this thread. This is the thread about Mr Robot. All episodes (1-8) except the finale (ep 9) have aired (because that was supposed to be on last night but was postponed until next week) so all aired episodes can be discussed openly.
Correction - there are ten episodes, numbered 0 to 9, like real programmers do.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
Correction - there are ten episodes, numbered 0 to 9, like real programmers do.
Ah, thanks for that. I had last week's still on my DVR and saw that it was titled Ep 8, and forgot the first one had been listed as Ep 0.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLee View Post
...almost all of the other characters were obsessed with making friends with or connecting with this guy: his old friend (the blonde one) from his office, the aforementioned's new boyfriend, the promiscuous drug dealer, his gay boss, the suit guy who talks to him about computers - they all continually reached out to him personally - this seemed unrealistic. People who are not interesting or charismatic do not have people constantly trying to make friends (or have sex) with them.
This is a good observation; I differ from you in that I do find the character to be interesting, but it's certainly true that in his Pointedly-Unreliable Narration, an unusually (and implausibly) large number of people are enthralled by him.

That could be a useful clue in figuring out what's really going on in this show. (Which apparently ends with some shootings; like many I was disappointed that the finale won't be shown for another week, but I can understand that the makers of the show wouldn't have wanted to give pain to the families of the Roanoke shooting victims.)
Old 08-29-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Ah, thanks for that. I had last week's still on my DVR and saw that it was titled Ep 8, and forgot the first one had been listed as Ep 0.
I'm thinking that might be something related to your provider (sorry - I don't know the correct name for this - could it be something like NetFlix?). The reason I say this is because my episodes are listed from 1 to 9. Is it possible this may just be something specific to a particular provider or a particular site?

However the episodes are listed, I only have nine episodes in total and they are just great. IMHO, this is really and truly a great, great show. I love it. Absolutely love it.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:49 AM

I would still love to know why, in the first episode, Elliot destroyed that man's life the way he did at the beginning of the episode? Did he just despise people who engage in child pornography? If so, is that because he may have been abused as a child?

Please. Can anyone help me? I would very much like to know the truth of that. Any chance someone might think they know?

Last edited by Charlie Wayne; 08-29-2015 at 08:50 AM.