Old 02-13-2019, 01:13 PM

What Tex Avery cartoon?

I'm drawing a blank on this one: a cat keeps saying "meow meow". Keeps repeating those two words. I can't remember why. Yes, I know it's not a lot to go on
Old 02-13-2019, 01:16 PM

Is this it?
Old 02-13-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSoft View Post
That's it! Thanks!
Old 02-13-2019, 03:19 PM

God that's a great cartoon. I go back and watch that one every once in a while just to enjoy the Avery zaniness. A few months ago my son was watching a bunch of Avery cartoons, laughing, and at one point he said "Man, they don't like the mother-in-law, do they?"
Old 02-13-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
God that's a great cartoon. I go back and watch that one every once in a while just to enjoy the Avery zaniness. A few months ago my son was watching a bunch of Avery cartoons, laughing, and at one point he said "Man, they don't like the mother-in-law, do they?"
What cartoon was he watching?
Old 02-14-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Rich View Post
What cartoon was he watching?
Possibly one of Avery's "of tomorrow" quartet (The House/Car/T.V./Farm). As I recall, they'd depict a series of futuristicky gadgets with the last being a gag version "for the mother-in-law", typically incorporating a guillotine or bear trap or pack of alligators or whatnot.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Possibly one of Avery's "of tomorrow" quartet (The House/Car/T.V./Farm). As I recall, they'd depict a series of futuristicky gadgets with the last being a gag version "for the mother-in-law", typically incorporating a guillotine or bear trap or pack of alligators or whatnot.
For the car one, the mother-in-law rides in an isolated bubble that's ~15 feet behind the family. The site-gag is the interior of the car is huge and they list the multiple rows of seat occupants ("...the wife, the kids, the pets...") as they pan back, finishing with a long sweep way behind the car showing the barely-attached final compartment and adding "...and the mother-in-law".
Old 02-22-2019, 10:31 AM

A tiny little bump, because I remembered something amusing. There was a documentary "The Making Of...: about Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and I recall one of the men interviewed saying they tried to hit the right mix of styles, between Disney's beautifully-rendered artwork, Warner Brothers' rapid-fire sarcasm, and Tex Avery's dynamite-down-your-pants mayhem. Since then, no better descriptor of Tex Avery's style has ever occurred to me.