Old 02-13-2019, 06:23 PM

80’s Children’s Book Series

Trying to remember the name of a children’s book series from when I was younger. Each book in the series was an illustrated story about a historical figure. Pretty sure each figure had an anthropomorphized character to accompany them. Notable figures were Jackie Robinson, Paul Bunyan, Sacajawea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2019, 06:30 PM

This could be Spencer Johnson’s Value Tales series. The Value of Kindness, The Value of Imagination, the Value of Money...��

You sure about Paul Bunyan though?

Last edited by Ulf the Unwashed; 02-13-2019 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Possibly the ValueTales series?
Old 02-13-2019, 06:45 PM

Yes! Value Tales. I was thinking Tall Tales, did a google search and a lot of the hits had Paul Bunyan. That’s my excuse, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2019, 10:00 PM

Ahhh...I was thinking it was the "Meet-fill in the blank-books"

http://thetrashcollector.com/Childre...hamLincoln.jpg
Old 02-13-2019, 10:59 PM

My cousins had some of those books. The ones I remember reading were Louis Pasteur and Helen Keller.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:29 AM

They had those in my church's library when I was a kid. I'd check one out and read it during the worship service. Maybe that's why the religion never 'took.'

I remember the ones on Pasteur, Jackie Robinson, Lincoln, Edison, and Will Rogers. I really liked the Will Rogers one because of his talking lariat.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
My cousins had some of those books. The ones I remember reading were Louis Pasteur and Helen Keller.
Whoa, are you my cousin? Those were the two I remember having.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:13 PM

I came to these books as a young elementary school teacher. There were a number of them in the school library. They were very popular among the kids in my class for 3-4 years; I particularly remember ones on Beethoven, Pasteur (mentioned above), and Sacajawea (which was part of how I identified the series).

On the one hand, I was pleased that the kids liked the books so much. They certainly learned interesting information about famous people, and the reading was good practice for many of them. On the other hand, I didn't completely get the appeal. Boy, were they preachy. And the invariable "imaginary friend" (the author spent a lot of time in each book remarking on the fact that the friend was only imaginary, not really a bird or a squirrel or a feather that could talk), which seemed a little excessive the first time I read one of the books, well, it got old fast.

Then suddenly the enthusiasm for Value Tales was over, and the kids were on to something else, and I haven't thought about them in years.