Old 02-13-2019, 11:09 AM

Being Single on Valentines day?

Is it an issue for you or others you care about? Or maybe dont care about?

Note- I've been married for 22 years now so I tend to forget but yeah, I remember that and Christmas were hard.

Funny video on the topic.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:16 AM

C'mon, it's just another Hallmark holiday. Any single person who gets depressed because of a day on the calendar specifically implemented to separate dopes from their money, has much deeper issues than those attributable to having not received a box of candy.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:39 AM

I remember when I was young and single, thinking how nice it would be to have someone to celebrate Valentine's Day with. I never managed to have a boyfriend on Valentines Day until I met Suburban Plankton when I was 21. I'm sure we did romantic-y Valentine's stuff the first few years, but it's been literally decades since either of us has really bothered. We're both Ok with that.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:46 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Every year I send Valentine's Day packages to 6 of my friends' kids. I've also started participating in The Valentine Project, a local charity that matches up donors with kids who suffer from chronic illness and lets us buy them Valentine's Day packages. I have fun creating all of these gifts and bringing love and cheer to kids.

This year I had some extra candy left over so I took the candy to my weekly trivia game and shared Valentine's love with my team and the hosts.

In the past I've treated myself to Malley's chocolates and heart-shaped pizzas.

As a single person, I probably enjoy Valentine's Day more than most coupled people!
Old 02-13-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman Mike View Post
C'mon, it's just another Hallmark holiday. Any single person who gets depressed because of a day on the calendar specifically implemented to separate dopes from their money, has much deeper issues than those attributable to having not received a box of candy.
This seems a pretty simplistic (and kind of obtuse) attitude.

Are you saying you can't imagine how anyone could feel sad on a holiday (manufactured or not, LOTS of people buy into it)that they aren't included in? Do you also question why the suicide rate rises around Christmas time?
Old 02-13-2019, 11:56 AM

sorry, double post

Last edited by WOOKINPANUB; 02-13-2019 at 11:57 AM. Reason: double post
Old 02-13-2019, 12:10 PM
You mean he's STILL here?
Charter Member

I spent two single Valentine's between my first and second marriage. Didn't bother me at all.

Mind you, my birthday was the trigger for feeling miserable about my life.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:13 PM

I tend to forget unless someone reminds me. It's not that I never think about being single, but it's not special to that day, and it's not something I get too particularly sad about, since I realize that any relationship would be way too much stress for me, worrying about what someone else thinks of me and if I'm making them happy.

I had to check to see today was the 13th, since I thought you were bringing it up because it was the 14th.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

I was 34 when my wife and I met. I had a girlfriend on one, maybe two, of the Valentine's Days before I met her. Wasn't particularly bothered by being single on the other Valentine's Days.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
....Do you also question why the suicide rate rises around Christmas time?
Except it doesn't. That's a myth.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:59 PM

Nah, it doesn't bother me none. I am grateful that I am free from the burden of yet another gift exchange and the emotional land mines associated with a holiday framed around love. I don't need any of that in my life.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
Are you saying you can't imagine how anyone could feel sad on a holiday (manufactured or not, LOTS of people buy into it)that they aren't included in?
You make a good point here... and it's a shame that so many people are so suggestible.

Independent thinkers, like myself, are able to see these days for what they really are... boxes on the calendar... and not be influenced by the machine.

But my kind are few and far between.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:38 PM

What? Nobody found the video to be funny?
Old 02-13-2019, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

I spent Valentine's Day two years ago at a strip club in Rhode Island. I didn't know if it would be packed or empty - it was empty but the top strippers were still working and fighting over me. I finally spent $200 on one that I picked but I made her talk to me an hour first before we went into a private room. She was smart, incredibly attractive and way out of my league but I got her for my own Valentine's Day present.

I have a serious girlfriend now but she costs more and can be quite bitchy at times. Sometimes I long for the idea of just picking another one off the shelf even if just for a night.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:50 PM

Wow.

Seriously.

Wow.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
Except it doesn't. That's a myth.
Assuming that's true, my point is that it's not hard to imagine why a lot of people might be unhappy during a time when they see (or imagine) everyone else around them enjoying the occasion. It just seemed weird to me that it seems to Stuntman Mike
. No big whoop

Oh, and I don't give a rat's hat about Valentine's or Christmas or really any major holidays except Halloween, and it depresses the hell out of me to not have anyone to celebrate it with. Just saying, I understand why a single person might feel especially lonely on "A day for lovers" (even as manufactured as it is).
Old 02-13-2019, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

I've never had a Valentine's day as a couple. Or a birthday. Or a Christmas. I've long got over it.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:07 PM

It kinda bothers me....I'm really romantic and a huge 'gifter' in that whole, language of love way so the idea of Valentine's Day really resonates with me. I've had like, very few relationships over my life and none of them have ever lasted long enough to get to a V-Day. So I've never been with someone for it It makes me sad and kind of depressed but it's pretty much the norm for me to be alone on it lol
Old 02-13-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post
I spent Valentine's Day two years ago at a strip club in Rhode Island. I didn't know if it would be packed or empty - it was empty but the top strippers were still working and fighting over me. I finally spent $200 on one that I picked but I made her talk to me an hour first before we went into a private room. She was smart, incredibly attractive and way out of my league but I got her for my own Valentine's Day present.

I have a serious girlfriend now but she costs more and can be quite bitchy at times. Sometimes I long for the idea of just picking another one off the shelf even if just for a night.
Foxy Lady?
Old 02-13-2019, 02:40 PM

Get into it for the kids and grandkids mostly. Me and the oldest granddaughter did marble painting and fashioned cards for her preschool class friends. We had a large time. Mr.Wrekker always gets me a little something. He's in Mexico right now, not sure how he'll manage it this year. We shall see.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:

Best post/username combo ever.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:

Gross.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Gross.
I'm assuming you're thinking along the same lines as me, and if so, thank you for saying it.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babale
Best post/username combo ever.
NO LIE! Quite fitting!
Old 02-13-2019, 03:39 PM

Moderator Warning

Quote:

You've been around long enough and seen enough recently to understand why this story, as told, is really an unnecessary and negative contribution to the thread. As such, you're receiving a warning for threadshitting. Take it up in ATMB, if you must; do not return to this thread.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:48 PM

I barely remember Valentines day exists. I figure it's a couple's holiday; as a not-in-a-couple person it's not something that applies to me.

Regarding Christmas, the think to worry about isn't being single, it's being alone. With sufficient friends and relations around everything's fine.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:52 PM

Can't remember the last time I wasn't working/gave a damn. I've always bought my mom and my wife flowers for the day, but beyond that, eh, so what.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:27 PM

Hey, it's Cheap Chocolate Friday. I'll go to Target and buy a stack of boxes; should last me quite a while. Oh, wait, I'm also a diabetic. Damn.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist View Post
Hey, it's Cheap Chocolate Friday. I'll go to Target and buy a stack of boxes; should last me quite a while.
I like your style!
Old 02-13-2019, 05:34 PM

Just another day.

Even when I was married, neither of us were interested in doing something 'special' that would involve going to overly crowded restaurants and paying too much for dinner.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I get depressed on Valentine's because all the incessant advertising and crap reminds me that my spouse is dead.

But while he was still alive we didn't actually celebrate it. Well, maybe we'd pop a movie in the DVD and watch it together, or do a little something special something for each other, but not the cards-chocolate-spend-money thing. But we didn't just wait for Valtenine's to do that, we'd do that from time to time for no reason at all (well, we loved each other, I suppose that's a good enough reason).
Old 02-13-2019, 06:18 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
You make a good point here... and it's a shame that so many people are so suggestible.

Independent thinkers, like myself, are able to see these days for what they really are... boxes on the calendar... and not be influenced by the machine.

But my kind are few and far between.
Make sure you do some light warmups and stretching before you pat yourself on the back so much. You donít want to pull something.

Iíve never particularly liked the day. Itís a bit of a burden quite frankly. Although I donít mind an excuse to go to a nice restaurant. Regular humans can understand why being bombarded by stories of all those in love while youíre home eating ramen alone might be depressing. It has nothing to do with whatís written on a calendar or who wrote it there.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
I get depressed on Valentine's because all the incessant advertising and crap reminds me that my spouse is dead.

But while he was still alive we didn't actually celebrate it. Well, maybe we'd pop a movie in the DVD and watch it together, or do a little something special something for each other, but not the cards-chocolate-spend-money thing. But we didn't just wait for Valtenine's to do that, we'd do that from time to time for no reason at all (well, we loved each other, I suppose that's a good enough reason).
Sorry for your loss, thatís sad. But good on you for having done it right when you could.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
What? Nobody found the video to be funny?
Loved the Energy Drink to prepare to explain to mom why I'm still single.

Eh, Val's day while single? No biggie, done that a whole buncha times. If you can get over the general social pressure to be in some sort of couplehood at any other time of the year, this day should make no difference/
Old 02-13-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Get into it for the kids and grandkids mostly. Me and the oldest granddaughter did marble painting and fashioned cards for her preschool class friends. We had a large time. Mr.Wrekker always gets me a little something. He's in Mexico right now, not sure how he'll manage it this year. We shall see.
??? The thread is literally titled "Being Single on Valentine's day". Not "Being in a different location from your HUSBAND on the actual day of Valentine's day".
Old 02-13-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
??? The thread is literally titled "Being Single on Valentine's day". Not "Being in a different location from your HUSBAND on the actual day of Valentine's day".
Alone=Alone. But, I didn't even really think about it like that. I was explaining how you can always celebrate V-day in other ways. Buy your dog a new bone, take your friend a Latte, call your Mom. In fact tomarrow I am delivering flowers to the graveyard and afterwards I'm reading to the English as second language kids at the elementary school. If you have to be alone think outside the box. You might enjoy yourself.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:22 PM

Nm, dbl post.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 02-13-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:34 PM

Doesn't bother me a bit. When married or dating, it always seemed forced to me. Impromptu lowers or gifts to say "I love you" are SO much better! I also have to say I think it's kind of silly for people to measure how much their partners love them by whether or not they remember Valentine's Day or anniversaries.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:36 PM

I have never been in a romantic relationship on Valentine's Day.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:33 AM

I never minded being single on it, we don't bother with it but today being the 14th here caused me quite a lot of grief, there were so many flower bunches on my crowded train home my nose is still dripping hours later and I have had one hell of a headache.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:01 AM
Charter Member

I cry in the shower while in the fetal position.

Last edited by Grrr!; 02-14-2019 at 04:02 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:40 AM

Today I will walk slowly, determinedly into Lake Michigan....

(Nah. I swiped this joke from the Onion's Valentine's Day Issue.)

Last edited by Two Many Cats; 02-14-2019 at 06:41 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:03 AM

I'm frustratedly single. I really ought to be used to it by now, but Valentine's Day just drives the message home a little bit more than usual.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist View Post
Hey, it's Cheap Chocolate Friday. I'll go to Target and buy a stack of boxes
I happen to have a gf this Valentine's Day; however, I won't see her until Friday evening. Card/chocolates will be purchased tomorrow morning at 50% off.

But yeah, in general, it's a made-up holiday that many feel you must spend $ on just to 'keep up with the Joneses' & not sleep with the Fidos.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspace View Post
I have never been in a romantic relationship on Valentine's Day.
Yeah, I'm married too.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:16 AM

It is just another day to me. Not a big deal!
Old 02-14-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
I cry in the shower while in the fetal position.
Sure, but what do you do differently because of Valentine's Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
I happen to have a gf this Valentine's Day; however, I won't see her until Friday evening. Card/chocolates will be purchased tomorrow morning at 50% off.
I salute you and would like to recieve your newsletter.