Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-13-2019, 11:54 AM
Zyada is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Foat Wuth!
Posts: 5,058

Are there places or cultures that don't use the common Monday through Friday week?


This is something that's relevant to my company, which makes software for private schools. We are updating the lesson plan portion of the software, and the product owners are making the lesson plan always be M-F.

But sales is saying we need to focus on support of international schools. Right hands and left hands, eh?

So, what parts of the world don't do Monday to Friday for their default work/school week?
  #2  
Old 02-13-2019, 11:57 AM
PastTense is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,460
This Wikipedia article covers it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workweek_and_weekend
  #3  
Old 02-13-2019, 01:28 PM
Saffer is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 380
The Middle East is mostly Sunday through Thursday. Saudi used to be Saturday through Wednesday, but recently (a few years ago) they changed to match the rest of the GCC.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  #4  
Old 02-13-2019, 02:29 PM
Shinna Minna Ma is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Israel
Posts: 855
Israel is Sunday - Thursday.
  #5  
Old 02-13-2019, 02:48 PM
md2000 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 14,689
Friday is the holy day for Muslims.
Saturday is the holy days for Jewish observance (Technically, sundown Friday to sundown Saturday - which is more relevant in northern latitudes. B&H in New York can shut down IIRC at 3PM Friday so people can get home before the winter sundown.)
Sunday is the shopping day for Christians.
There's some Christian church group I think that thinks the real Sunday is Tuesday.
  #6  
Old 02-13-2019, 05:06 PM
alphaboi867 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: the Keystone State
Posts: 14,324
The Seventh Day Adventists observe the Sabbath on Saturdays (sundown-Friday to sundown-Saturday), but aren't as strict as Orthodox Jews on allowable activities.
__________________
No Gods, No Masters
  #7  
Old 02-13-2019, 09:02 PM
harmonicamoon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Yucatan, Mexico
Posts: 2,929
Laborers here will work Monday through Friday, and a half day on Saturday.
  #8  
Old 02-14-2019, 01:46 AM
SanVito is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The Big Smoke
Posts: 4,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by md2000 View Post
Friday is the holy day for Muslims.

Saturday is the holy days for Jewish observance (Technically, sundown Friday to sundown Saturday - which is more relevant in northern latitudes. B&H in New York can shut down IIRC at 3PM Friday so people can get home before the winter sundown.)

Sunday is the shopping day for Christians.

There's some Christian church group I think that thinks the real Sunday is Tuesday.


Sunday is the shopping day for Christians? Not according any of my Christian schooling. Shops aren’t even supposed to open on Sunday (and don’t in many Christian countries). Saturday is shopping day.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  #9  
Old 02-14-2019, 02:18 AM
guizot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: An East Hollywood dingbat
Posts: 8,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense View Post
This Wikipedia article covers it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workweek_and_weekend
There's not much of surprise in that article, but when it's Monday, let's say, in the U.S., is it necessarily Monday everywhere else? What's to stop some wacky country from having Thursday when everyone else is having Monday? Or from switching up the order?
  #10  
Old 02-14-2019, 06:38 AM
psychonaut is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Europe
Posts: 5,811
The workweek in North Korea is Monday to Saturday.
  #11  
Old 02-14-2019, 06:53 AM
TokyoBayer's Avatar
TokyoBayer is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 10,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by guizot View Post
There's not much of surprise in that article, but when it's Monday, let's say, in the U.S., is it necessarily Monday everywhere else? What's to stop some wacky country from having Thursday when everyone else is having Monday? Or from switching up the order?
I presume this isn’t a serious question.
  #12  
Old 02-14-2019, 06:57 AM
Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 35,290
In India, the traditional work week is Monday to Friday and half day Saturday. However, government offices and foreign-based companies are closed for the full day Saturday.
  #13  
Old 02-14-2019, 09:00 AM
md2000 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 14,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanVito View Post
Sunday is the shopping day for Christians? Not according any of my Christian schooling. Shops arenít even supposed to open on Sunday (and donít in many Christian countries). Saturday is shopping day.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They say sarcasm is lost on some people...


They say a good comedian never explains their jokes, so...
In Canada, and presumably to some extent in the USA - Sunday store closings used to be seriously enforced to support "Christian values" whether the law put it that way or not. The restrictions have been steadily loosened to recognize multicultural values and the separation of state and church, to the point where in many jurisdictions stores are pretty much open much of the day. The only legacy seems to be slightly shorter store hours in some places, and some places still prohibit the sale of alcohol for a more extended time or all day.
Not sure how this applies to other traditionally Christian countries like in Europe.

Also, I haven't run across whether Hindus, Sikhs, or Buddhists have a particular observance weekday. Also AFAIK while some places may support a different calendar in some respects, almost all also use the Gregorian calendar as an international standard, including same weekdays. (There's the Jewish calendar, Chinese calendar, Muslims have their own calendar, Japanese count years by Emperor, etc. - and there will be particular days of observance associated with those.) Unless your organization is the size of Microsoft, good luck coordinating all those. Your best bet is to make all these aspects including "school days" of the week a programmable option in configuration settings with a set of defaults.

The French Revolution tried to impose a completely different calendar way back when, but it didn't stick the way the metric system did.

But to get back to the OP, also remember that private schools with a religious bent may also be inclined to run religious instruction on a separate day - i.e. Sunday school or equivalent. This particularly if they are attached to a church or synagogue.
  #14  
Old 02-14-2019, 09:14 AM
Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 35,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by md2000 View Post
Also, I haven't run across whether Hindus, Sikhs, or Buddhists have a particular observance weekday.
Indian religions don't have a tradition of mandatory weekly attendance at a particular place for observance, so, no, there isn't a day that has to be a weekly holiday to observe religious obligations.

A devout Hindu, for example, has a shrine right in his or her residence, perhaps even next to the bed. Religious duties can be executed as frequently as he or she feels necessary.
  #15  
Old 02-14-2019, 11:49 AM
Quercus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: temperate forest
Posts: 7,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyada View Post
This is something that's relevant to my company, which makes software for private schools. We are updating the lesson plan portion of the software, and the product owners are making the lesson plan always be M-F.

But sales is saying we need to focus on support of international schools. Right hands and left hands, eh?

So, what parts of the world don't do Monday to Friday for their default work/school week?
I'd be more worried about all the reasons a U.S. school might have a class on Saturday -- make-up classes, extra (test-prep or whatever) classes, classes for continuing education/non-traditional students, etc.
  #16  
Old 02-14-2019, 12:01 PM
aceplace57 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CentralArkansas
Posts: 25,457
Restricting lesson plans to any specific days limits the usability of the software and it's potential market.

It should allow the school to choose a weekly schedule. Default it to M-F.

Last edited by aceplace57; 02-14-2019 at 12:02 PM.
  #17  
Old 02-14-2019, 04:58 PM
CairoCarol is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 4,760
In Egypt the work week is Sun-Thur, with Friday and Saturday the weekend.
__________________
If I waited for memory to serve, I'd starve.
  #18  
Old 02-14-2019, 05:09 PM
Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 27,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffer View Post
The Middle East is mostly Sunday through Thursday. Saudi used to be Saturday through Wednesday, but recently (a few years ago) they changed to match the rest of the GCC.
I was amused to learn that in Dubai (and perhaps elsewhere in the Middle East), the TGI Fridays restaurant chain calls itself TGI Thursdays.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017