Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman Mike View Post
One of life's great flavors.

Who's with me?

Share your own...
Get your own damn Coke.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:22 AM

Simple pleasure for me is just walking in natural settings.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Who's with me?

Share your own...
An ice-cold Diet Coke, but yes.

Best is when you put it in the freezer so that it gets just cold enough so that when you open the can, some of the soda freezes due to the release of pressure.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:34 AM

We have a local pizza joint that has the best baked Italian subs. I've been going there for 30+ years just for the subs. But... it's a disappointing experience without a ice cold Coke to accompany it. It's about the only time I drink Coke and one without the other is just not the same experience.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
An ice-cold Diet Coke, but yes.

Best is when you put it in the freezer so that it gets just cold enough so that when you open the can, some of the soda freezes due to the release of pressure.
That first pull always bites. Your mouth knows immediately that something wonderful just happened. (too dramatic?)
Old 02-13-2019, 10:46 AM

The simple pleasure of an ice cold Coke

Is it anything like the simple pleasure of an ice cold Pepsi?
Old 02-13-2019, 10:47 AM

Ice cold Coke, yeah, but for me it's vanilla Coke Zero. Do they still have vanilla in the new Coke Zero sugar?
Old 02-13-2019, 10:56 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:

Who's with me?

Share your own...
Yeah, I'm a Coke fan. But as another poster stated, get your own...THIS ONE IS MINE!!

I recall once I posted on another board about it (someone was saying that sodas are bad for you and you should never drink one) and I said something like 'you'll pry this ice cold Coke from my warm, dead hand..' and it sparked a huge flame war about the evils of drinking soda, as well as Coke verse Pepsi and whether I was enjoying my diabetes (which I don't have, FTR). Needless to say, I haven't been back to THAT board again...no sense of humor those guys.

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
Old 02-13-2019, 10:57 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind's Eye, Watering View Post
Far, far better.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:58 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Ice cold Coke, yeah, but for me it's vanilla Coke Zero. Do they still have vanilla in the new Coke Zero sugar?
Yeah, I've seen it in the store before. I'm not a huge fan of either the vanilla or cherry versions of even the regular, but I've seen it. I actually get Coke in the big glass bottles at the local mercado that is the cane sugar type from Mexico. I think you can get that at Walmart too, but I try not to go in there any more than is necessary.

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!

Last edited by XT; 02-13-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:08 AM

I had originally said Coke, so as to not be too specific, but I'm actually a Coke Zero guy, myself. Couple of those a week won't kill you.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

My vote goes to the first sip of coffee every day Even when I was very poo, I made sure I got that first cup of coffee every day.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:54 AM

This is quite the coincidence.

Many years ago when I was a teen I shoveled the snow for an old man who was an acquaintance. When I finished he gave me $5 and a can of ice cold Coke. I thought it was odd, drinking a cold beverage after working outside in the cold, but that Coke hit the spot. So much so that I remember it vividly today, 45+ years later.

It gets weirder. It is, at this moment, snowing steadily; has been much of the night and day. i have been waiting for it to stop so I can get out there and shovel (well, blow). In anticipation of this, I brought a bottle of Diet Coke up from the basement with plans to enjoy it once the snow removal is done, because I know how wonderful it will taste and it will bring me back to that long ago day.

On top of all that, I am a Pepsi drinker. I rarely drink Coke; we have some only because it was on sale a few weeks ago.

Yep, I'm going to bring that Coke outside with me and plop it up to its neck in a snow drift, not to be touched until the job is complete.

If it ever stops snowing, that is.

mmm
Old 02-13-2019, 12:01 PM

Another vote for the first sip of coffee. Especially coffee made at home, which is fresh ground and perfect, with just a dash of cinnamon on top.

I don't generally drink soda, but about once a year I'll get a small Coke from McDonalds and the first few pulls are delightful. Then I'm done.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:07 PM

An ice cold beer after mowing the lawn. Not talking about an Old Rasputin Russian Imperial stout (a fine beer if ever there was), but rather, a watery macro brew that one can pour down their gullet like their innards haven't been irrigated since last July.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Iced tea on a hot summer day.

Hot cocoa on a cold winter day.

Soda pop (which brand will vary, depending on my mood) any time.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardigan View Post
An ice cold beer after mowing the lawn. Not talking about an Old Rasputin Russian Imperial stout (a fine beer if ever there was), but rather, a watery macro brew that one can pour down their gullet like their innards haven't been irrigated since last July.
Yes. God yes. I have a small fridge in my garage stocked with cans of Miller Lite for this exact moment.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:41 PM

Beer.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
This is quite the coincidence.

Many years ago when I was a teen I shoveled the snow for an old man who was an acquaintance. When I finished he gave me $5 and a can of ice cold Coke. I thought it was odd, drinking a cold beverage after working outside in the cold, but that Coke hit the spot. So much so that I remember it vividly today, 45+ years later.

It gets weirder. It is, at this moment, snowing steadily; has been much of the night and day. i have been waiting for it to stop so I can get out there and shovel (well, blow). In anticipation of this, I brought a bottle of Diet Coke up from the basement with plans to enjoy it once the snow removal is done, because I know how wonderful it will taste and it will bring me back to that long ago day.

On top of all that, I am a Pepsi drinker. I rarely drink Coke; we have some only because it was on sale a few weeks ago.

Yep, I'm going to bring that Coke outside with me and plop it up to its neck in a snow drift, not to be touched until the job is complete.

If it ever stops snowing, that is.

mmm
That's a great memory and association!

Last edited by Stuntman Mike; 02-13-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:10 PM

My Sweet-tea is legendary. It will make you quit coke and pepsi.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:28 PM

A peach so perfectly ripe that the juice runs down your arm when you bite into it.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:25 PM

Many years ago when I was young I was working in a lumberyard slinging boards as a summer job. The shop had a brilliant old fashioned coke machine which dispensed the traditional bottles for all of the coke products. The machine kept the bottles super ice cold. After working outside in the hot summer sun I would get a super ice cold coke from the machine. I would try to down it in one long drink, but I couldn't do it because the coke just burned my throat too much. So one day, instead I got a Tab instead, just to try it. That did the trick! It was just a bit softer on the throat than the regular coke, so I could down it all in one take, but just as cold and refreshing. So for the rest of the summer, Tab it was!
Old 02-13-2019, 02:28 PM

I used to drink TAB. It had to be almost frozen to be palatable. IMO.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:58 PM

Ugh, coke, you can have mine. Nope, the simple pleasure of the first cup of coffee in the morning. Bonus if you don't have to work that day. Double bonus if you catch the sunrise, and the hat trick is to have the coffee, watching the sunrise while camping.

Erm, I think I forgot something in the OP

Last edited by DorkVader; 02-13-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:30 PM

Ice cold coke after everything except lawn mowing. Something about the smell of freshly mown grass that requires a chugged beer. And I'm not a huge beer fan.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I used to drink TAB. It had to be almost frozen to be palatable. IMO.
Life before Nutrisweet... 🤮. Pass the limes.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:41 PM

Cold drink of WATER no matter what made you thirsty.

Cracking a beer when you get to your destination after a long road trip.

(I drink water tea or beer, with the occasional margarita or G&T)
Old 02-13-2019, 06:53 PM

Cold Coors after a summer bike ride.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:13 PM

with me sometimes its coke cherry coke or sprite ...but if im eating at a real mex resturant i have to have one coronoa at least
Old 02-13-2019, 09:08 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Sometimes nothing hits the spot like the first couple swallows of Blenheim's Ginger Ale.

Last edited by blondebear; 02-13-2019 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
My vote goes to the first sip of coffee every day Even when I was very poo, I made sure I got that first cup of coffee every day.
The first cup does have that effect on some people.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:21 AM
Charter Member

I love an ice-cold Coke.

Even though my day typically starts with coffee and juice, there have been some mornings when all I really want is a Coke over ice. So I have one. Ice-cold Coke is great any time of the day.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:28 AM

Here in the south I suspect more people drink a coke instead of coffee in the morning. At least that's how it used to be. I don't generally drink cokes but I'm pretty sure if there was no coffee I could make do with coke. I'm saying coke in the generic term. Because all soft drinks down here start with: let's have a coke, whichever flavor or brand you want. It's a southern-ism.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:34 AM

Coke and potato chips has been my guilty pleasure since I was a kid.

Nowadays it's things like a Haagen-Dazs milk chocolate coated vanilla ice cream bar with a glass of smooth amber rum or port. In fact I think I'm going to have that right now!
Old 02-14-2019, 01:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Here in the south I suspect more people drink a coke instead of coffee in the morning.
Beck, I well remember the training session my company sent me to in Fort Worth, Texas, maybe twenty years ago. While most of us headed for the coffee before the morning session started, there was one who always preferred a Dr. Pepper. Why? "I'm a Texan, from Waco, the home of Dr. Pepper." Ohh-kay.

Wolfpup, enjoy!
Old 02-14-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
Coke and potato chips has been my guilty pleasure since I was a kid.

Nowadays it's things like a Haagen-Dazs milk chocolate coated vanilla ice cream bar with a glass of smooth amber rum or port. In fact I think I'm going to have that right now!
MMM MMM MMM

Cold Diet Coke and a bag of good salty regular potato chips - that's my go-to treat over anything else.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:15 PM

I keep Pepsi in the house but won't turn down a cold Coke, but I agree that on a hot day when you've worked up a sweat a ice cold beer is maybe the best thing in the world...and I drink only a beer or two a month.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Here in the south I suspect more people drink a coke instead of coffee in the morning. At least that's how it used to be. I don't generally drink cokes but I'm pretty sure if there was no coffee I could make do with coke. I'm saying coke in the generic term. Because all soft drinks down here start with: let's have a coke, whichever flavor or brand you want. It's a southern-ism.
Erg, I [I]hate[I] sugar in tea. Makes it taste really nasty to me. A wedge of lemon is all I need in iced tea. I usually drink Pepsi, but I will drink coke if I can have a wedge of lemon with it, too. Makes it more palatable to me.

Re: coke as a generic term for soda/pop in the south -- I think it was in this very message board about a year ago that southerners were denying this was a thing. So is it, or isn't it?
Old 02-14-2019, 06:55 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Nothing compares to a cold beer after a sweaty day working in the heat.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:12 AM
born to be shunned

a) Screw Coke; I was that one freakazoid out there who thought the "New/Coke II" version was a vast improvement and when they dropped it they lost me.

b) Any civilized person knows its a RC. And if you have a Moon Pie to go with it, life is almost perfect.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:26 AM

Yes, the "burn" is the best part. Pepsi doesn't have the burn.

IMO, the greatest invention of the modern era isn't the airplane or anything like that, but Coca-Cola. Without it, life would be unlivable.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Another vote for that first sip of coffee in the morning, fresh from my grind n' brew coffeemaker.

Never have understood about colas. An OK taste - not great, not lousy - and way too much carbonation. If I'm gonna have a commercial soda, gimme Dr. Pepper any day.

But I only drink canned/bottled sodas when away from home. My own blend of sweet tea is the best: sweetened with off-brand Splenda, with a couple ounces of lemonade in a half-gallon pitcher. Great taste, and almost no calories.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Yep. Coffee makes you poo.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:58 AM

For Summer outdoor events, I like an ice chest filled with real cane sugar bottles of Coke, and cans of a local beer product that that is 8 point. Ice and water fills the spaces.

After cooking out or tossing the Frisbee, an ice cold bottle or can of the chosen beverage is heaven. It actually almost hurts a little bit for the first sip, it's that good.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT View Post
I recall once I posted on another board about it (someone was saying that sodas are bad for you and you should never drink one) and I said something like 'you'll pry this ice cold Coke from my warm, dead hand..' and it sparked a huge flame war about the evils of drinking soda, as well as Coke verse Pepsi and whether I was enjoying my diabetes (which I don't have, FTR). Needless to say, I haven't been back to THAT board again...no sense of humor those guys.
It is one of the more annoying habits of some liberals (not here so much, thank you) have: They tell you something is bad for you -- generally correctly -- then when you go ahead and do/eat/imbibe it anyway, take it as a personal affront.

Look, I've heard it before, weighed all the facts currently available, and decided to continue the habit. Now butt out. Having said that, I drink soft drinks once or twice a week, and never with meals. Beer or iced tea for those, depending on what dish it is.

For me, it's mushrooms. DesertRoomie does not care for them so once in a great while I'll fix a batch of vegetables a little smaller than usual, give her 2/3s, and round out my meal with a panful of mushes, sliced and pan fried in olive oil and a bit of soy sauce for the salt and to bring out that umami flavor.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Who's with me?

Share your own...
No need to share my own; you already stated it.

There's a divey hamburger place near me called Rhea's that serves ice cold Coke over crushed ice. Definitely one of life's greatest pleasures. Mmmm Coke over crushed ice is so much better than over cubed ice.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind's Eye, Watering View Post
I live in Atlanta (area), where Coke is Headquartered. I'm pretty sure Pepsi is illegal here. At the very least you have a good chance of people with pitchforks and torches showing up at your door.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardigan View Post
I would like, if I may, to add a little to this.......

....after the lawn is mowed, on a gorgeous late afternoon summer day, the grill is started, and the scent of open flames hits your nose. Then, after your nostrils have informed your brain that a delicious meal will be forthcoming, you down that first sip of an ice cold beer as described above. I too have a small fridge in the garage full of macro brews for this occasion. Coors Light, Modelo, MGD, heck, even a Bud Light Lime will do the trick.